Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CODEX VOTE: Best TACTICAL COMBAT Blobbers Of All Time

Which Are Your Favorite Tactical Combat Blobbers?

• Total voters

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
After the votes for the turn-based and real-time pure blobbers, let's have one for the blobbers that have tactical combat. This list is shorter than the other two - with a lot of entries from the Gold Box series.

Here is the complete list of RPG's that have 1st person blobber exploration and tactical (non-blobber) combat:

Albion (1995)
Amberstar (1992)
Ambermoon (1995)
Bard's Tale 4 (2018)
Betrayal at Krondor (1993)
Betrayal in Antara (1997)
Crystals of Arborea (1990)
Dark Heart of Uukrul (1989)
Drakhen (1989)
Gods: Lands of Infinity (2006)
Perihelion (1993, Amiga)
Realms of Arkania 1 (1992)
Realms of Arkania 2 (1994)
Realms of Arkania 3 (1996)
Gold Box series:
Pool of Radiance (1988)
Curse of the Azure Bonds (1989)
Secret of the Silver Blades (1990)
Pools of Darkness (1991)
Gateway to the Savage Frontier (1991)
Treasures of the Savage Frontier (1992)
Champions of Krynn (1990)
Death Knights of Krynn (1991)
Dark Queen of Krynn (1992)
Buck Rogers: Coundown to Doomsday (1990)
Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed (1992)
Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (1993)

Taken from: The Complete List of Western (Non-Anime) Blobbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
I'd say the top 3 is probably going to be PoR, Krondor and Star Trail (in that order), and unlike the other two polls I wouldn't object to that. But let's see how it turns out, Codexers always find new ways to disappoint.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not big on blobbers, can someone explain what the difference between 'tactical combat' and 'turn based' is?
I always just considered these turn-based :M

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not big on blobbers, can someone explain what the difference between 'tactical combat' and 'turn based' is?
I always just considered these turn-based :M
Tactical = top down/iso. The turn-based and real time polls are for games with menu-driven combat a la Wizardry/Might and Magic. The games in this poll are also turn-based, of course, but since I don't think there exists a game that combines first-person exploration with top-down real time combat there's no distinction to be made.

Anyway, yeah, Betrayal at Krondor will take this, with Star Trail and PoR as runners-up. In my opinion it ought to be Uukrul.

It's Drakkhen, with two "K"

Also:

RoA, RoA über alles,

Über alles in der Kodex!

Wenn es stets zu Dekadenz und Casualisierung

Brüderlich zusammenhält!

Martyr

Arcane
but since I don't think there exists a game that combines first-person exploration with top-down real time combat there's no distinction to be made.

actually, Drakkhen does exactly that. the perspective in the first person exploration and the top down battles is the same though, so it's even more abstract.

4133fdbcd09eed5f2b3da6cff4575fdb721b113c60d0eed76b554f33d2c3ec03_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

exploration would be the exact same picture, but without the party members and without the dragon. as soon as there's an enemy, the party members walk into the screen and a real time battle begins. iirc Drakkhen was also RTwP, which would mean it predates Darklands in using that combat system.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That would have been true 5+ years ago, but since then Grimrock 1 & 2 brought back the genre, we had one of the best blobbers released (Grimoire) and even now there is some quality stuff coming out, eg. Operencia or Legends of Amberland.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And also some hybrids like 7 Mages and a single character "simili-blobber", The Quest.
And soon, hopefully, The Quest 2 will correct that being a legit blobber.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
actually, Drakkhen does exactly that. the perspective in the first person exploration and the top down battles is the same though, so it's even more abstract.

4133fdbcd09eed5f2b3da6cff4575fdb721b113c60d0eed76b554f33d2c3ec03_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

exploration would be the exact same picture, but without the party members and without the dragon. as soon as there's an enemy, the party members walk into the screen and a real time battle begins. iirc Drakkhen was also RTwP, which would mean it predates Darklands in using that combat system.

Drakkhen was probably my first contact with a PC RPG, even if i played some Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master first on Amstrad computers and some consoles RPG, still have fond memories of it.

Citizen

RoA 2 and 3

Also why not include Wiz8? It has positioning and shiet, so it qualifies for a tacticool

Tiospo

Learned
Overall, Buck Rogers is excellent value: when it claims a playing time of 40-100 hours, it's true!

mushaden

Scholar
What I want to know is do any of these games have good combat? I loved Betrayal at Krondor, but not for the combat. I'm sure a lot of people would say the same about Realms of Arkania. Maybe I need to take another crack at the Gold Box games, and there are plenty more I haven't played. Just saying that the tactical combat blobbers I've played are not memorable for their tactical combat.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's not Jagged Alliance, that's for sure. And yeah, I also prefer actual blobber combat in blobbers.

On this list, RoA combat is probably best - and you could also have it resolved automatically.

Siobhan

Arbiter
And if your RoA2 party only has mages and elves you can have each one stack the armor spell for cheap, casting it at a cost of 1 or 2 each round until your AC is 12+ and you're pretty much invincible. Switch over to autoresolve, finish battle. Combine with stacked herbs for ludicrous magic resistance and break the game by beating the unbeatable encounter against the black mages. So once you know how to cheese the game, it's actually a blobber without combat, which is a nice change of pace.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Results so far are quite interesting:
  1. Betrayal at Krondor (15 votes)
  2. Pool of Radiance (12 votes) - Gold Box
  3. Dark Heart of Uukrul (11 votes)
  4. Realms of Arkania 2 (11 votes)
  5. Death Knights of Krynn (8 votes) - Gold Box
  6. Pools of Darkness (8 votes) - Gold Box
  7. Albion (6 votes)
  8. Curse of the Azure Bonds (6 votes) - Gold Box
  9. FRUA (6 votes) - Gold Box
  10. Realms of Arkania 3 (6 votes)

TigerKnee

Arcane
What I want to know is do any of these games have good combat?
I personally think Uukrul has the best combat of the games listed here.

edit: Dug up my old post about Uukrul's combat and rewrote it to make sense standalone

In comparison to Goldbox, Uukrul's battlefields are really small. That fact along with the rule that "you can move diagonally but only attack in non-diagonal directions", it sort of works out in a way where it makes you think about how to utilize your two melee characters to block off enemies in a way while also maximizing your damage output that GB doesn't really do (In GB, you're better off just casting crowd control spells if you don't want enemies next to your mages). The battles in Uukrul are like tight little tangos that doesn't drag out too long while being very satisfying

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Results so far are quite interesting:
  1. Betrayal at Krondor (15 votes)
  2. Pool of Radiance (12 votes) - Gold Box
  3. Dark Heart of Uukrul (11 votes)
  4. Realms of Arkania 2 (11 votes)
  5. Death Knights of Krynn (8 votes) - Gold Box
  6. Pools of Darkness (8 votes) - Gold Box
  7. Albion (6 votes)

Results a year later:
  1. Betrayal at Krondor (19 votes)
  2. Pool of Radiance (14 votes) - Gold Box
  3. Dark Heart of Uukrul (13 votes)
  4. Realms of Arkania 2 (12 votes)
  5. Albion (8 votes)
  6. Death Knights of Krynn (8 votes) - Gold Box
  7. Pools of Darkness (8 votes) - Gold Box
Albion moved up, but otherwise no changes.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Interesting, this was probably the toughest poll to narrow down favorites I've ever participated in the 'dex. Almost the entire selection is composed of shining exemplars.

Dorateen

Arcane
Since the Gold Box engine featured the same tactical combat over 9+ titles, with refinements throughout the series, those games combine for a clear winner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom