Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
And i can smell your obsession with getting re-owned and those MS millions. I don't blame you mate,i too would have shilled this garbage if a few millions were at stake.

Started your 3rd playthrough yet?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I like how since this game failed to criticize capitalism/the status quo, we started doing it for them.
Tools of capital cannot criticize capitalism, they can only set up a caricature of it which they can attack. SJWs are the SocDems of today in terms of ideological incoherence and lack of self awareness.

The ideological incoherence is self-aware and intentional my man.
Of SocDems or SJWs?

SocDems. SJWs aren't a political movement its an uncordinated mess without a purpose or strategy, it is political entropy.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually logging in to the Codex after so many years to thank everyone for confirming what I already intrinsically knew: game company rides their dogged old legacy of association with classic titles to spew out yet another uninspired, degenerate slurry of filth and shit. Does this ever not happen anymore? Is "incline" even real?
Fuck this gay Earth.

Its real. Play Kingmaker instead.
I'm weird and I actually greatly enjoyed a number of games these last years, including some titles that are... less popular around these parts.
But I don't think many actually find Kingmaker bad.

That and Underrail.. among the more indie proposals.

Pathfinder, Underrail, AoD (for high functioning retards), Ghost of a Tale, Insomnia: The Ark, Atom, Disco Elysium and probably Encased.

Incline is pretty much real but it's also rare as fuck: 1 or 2 great games/year.

Ivan

Arcane
Picking off enemies for large distances using sniper is amusing. Esp as you see compas try to close the distance on them :P

The Real Fanboy
It’s the biggest failure in fuckin’ years

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Vatnik Wumao
I like how since this game failed to criticize capitalism/the status quo, we started doing it for them.
Tools of capital cannot criticize capitalism, they can only set up a caricature of it which they can attack. SJWs are the SocDems of today in terms of ideological incoherence and lack of self awareness.

Of SocDems or SJWs?

SocDems. SJWs aren't a political movement its an uncordinated mess without a purpose or strategy, it is political entropy.
It is self-aware inasmuch as they realize that they''ll sooner or later run out of duct tape in their attempts to 'fix' capitalism, case in which their ideology is based solely on cowardice and personal comfort.

FNV didn't sell much at launch. It did end up generating ~300 millions eventually, but its initial performance on launch not stellar by any means. What that tweet tells me is that TOW has not even managed that.

Edit - Apparently i'm full of shit. It did sell pretty well on launch.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Happens to be half-indian - this makes her a white supremecist to Junta.
rating_lulz.gif

Nah just vapid. Thing with the wokenet is that it's mostly populated by white straight cis middle-class twentysomethings falling over each other to be inclusive. Most of them have extremely limited experience actually dealing with anyone different from them, and they build up this naive idealised picture that they're just like them only wronged and better. And because they're so completely clueless about it, when they try to represent them in whatever fanfic they're writing, they end up with a self-insert in blackface (or, in this case, brownface).

(And also if they ever encounter an actual minority or <gasp> working-class person who doesn't conform to their idealised stereotype, there's a gigantic burst of cognitive dissonance followed by furious hammering of the block button.)

TOW attempts to justify this by explicitly stating that the setting is a post-racial one. What it doesn't justify is that everybody in that post-racial world acts, thinks, and even talks completely wonderbread*, occasional token vaguely-Desi accents aside. It's not that Parvati is a coconut, it's that there are no non-white people in the entire game, just whites inhabiting a broad range of character models. (No fatties though, apparently body positivity is not a thing in The Outer Worlds. Surprised nobody's complained about it yet.)

*not on the forbidden names list, highly recommend

We need a 'vapid' emoticon NOW!

frajaq

Erudite
what a surprise, people are desperate for an open-world (or semi open-world) single player RPG since Bethesda decided to make fucking F76 instead that they left a huge void waiting to be filled

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
FNV didn't sell much at launch. It did end up generating ~300 millions eventually, but its initial performance on launch not stellar by any means. What that tweet tells me is that TOW has not even managed that.
You're full of crap. The 300 million was three weeks after launch. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-08-fallout-new-vegas-ships-five-million

Fallout: New Vegas ships five million - Generates over $300m at retail.
News by Wesley Yin-Poole, Deputy Editor
Updated on 8 November 2010

Bethesda's shipped a whopping five million units of science-fiction role-playing game Fallout: New Vegas.

This, coupled with a "heavy volume of digital downloads", generated well over $300 million in sales.

Remember, shipped means shipped, as in sent to shops and other retailers. But still, five million's an impressive number.

"We are delighted by the reception Fallout: New Vegas has received from fans around the world," said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda.

"Despite the large launch quantities for this title, we have already received substantial re-orders from our retail partners, underscoring the tremendous popularity of this highly entertaining game. We believe Fallout: New Vegas will be the must buy title for gamers throughout the holiday season."

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Of SocDems or SJWs?

It is self-aware inasmuch as they realize that they''ll sooner or later run out of duct tape in their attempts to 'fix' capitalism, case in which their ideology is based solely on cowardice and personal comfort.

I would describe it as not being delusional enough to think we can change the inevitable destination of this ultraliberal train we are on.

GrainWetski

Arcane
It's just some retard pulling numbers out of his ass. Not entirely sure why anyone would take him seriously.

Vatnik Wumao

Of SocDems or SJWs?

I would describe it as not being delusional enough to think we can change the inevitable destination of this ultraliberal train we are on.
That certainly seems to be the case today, yet the historical SocDems ended up inhibiting the development of revolutionary fervor of the Left and acting as controlled opposition all the way to the fall of the Iron Curtain (particularly in post-war France where they served as controlled opposition as to detract the workers from pro-Soviet, revolutionary agitation).

Don't worry, The American Empire will not be the first one to fall thanks to its men-stock losing it's... well... manhood. Did you know Thailand was once a mighty empire? :')

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Like frajaq points out, the market for this sort of game was open for the taking. Marketing was also pretty good with some great trailers. Last but not least, refreshingly honest and no-bullshit communication with the fanbase by Tim&Leon certainly helped.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like frajaq points out, the market for this sort of game was open for the taking. Marketing was also pretty good with some great trailers. Last but not least, refreshingly honest and no-bullshit communication with the fanbase by Tim&Leon certainly helped.

lol this isn't what you were saying a week and a half ago https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...g-the-outer-worlds.130315/page-2#post-6362170

(they did supercharge the marketing in the final week though so you've got that)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you guys think anyone at Obsidian considers that this might be a Pillars1 moment, and actually try to evaluate what they've done?
The thing with that is they didn't need to convince the vast majority of the playerbase of the "merits" of this genre. They already knew what they were going into and knew they like it. PoE didn't have this advantage, it had to show the value of isometric RPGs to a new audience and it failed to do that, as exemplified by the abysmal sales of both White March and PoE2.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So, Cain and Boyarsky have repeatedly said that this is an AA game and not AAA. Yet it took 3 years and over 100 people to complete. Isn't this comparable to what Bethesda has? I thought the development team for Skyrim was like 130 people yet that is most certainly considered an AAA release.

Do I have the numbers wrong or what am I missing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom