Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Kojima and his team is the only ones worth a damn in AAA space. If you disagree you are a literal retard

To fangirl for someone as disconnected and generally as unable to produce a game with decent gameplay as Jokima seems more like literal, clinical-grade retardation to me.

Name another AAA developer that tries to make something unique gameplay wise and story wise

Valve pushing VR is innovation, Larian's elemental surfaces magic stuff and very loose co-op campaign for Original Sin is innovation, CDPR's open yet cinematic Witcher is innovation, even the now stale and boring Ubisoft climb-towers-collect-objectives shit was once innovative. There's plenty of innovation. You are just stupidly choosing to only acknowledge weird and retarded decisions as "innovative", while good innovation is relegated in your mind to "well of course, thats common sense!".

Terenty

Liturgist
There's plenty of innovation. You are just stupidly choosing to only acknowledge weird and retarded decisions as "innovative", while good innovation is relegated in your mind to "well of course, thats common sense!".

What's retarded in trying to make the act of going through an open world a challenge in itself, with planning your route, balance mechanics, inventory that is physically represented on you char etc?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
There's plenty of innovation. You are just stupidly choosing to only acknowledge weird and retarded decisions as "innovative", while good innovation is relegated in your mind to "well of course, thats common sense!".
What's retarded in trying to make the act of going through an open world a challenge in itself, with planning your route, balance mechanics, inventory that is physically represented on you char etc?

LdVd9Xv.jpg

Very innovative, Kojima-san!

Terenty

Liturgist

LdVd9Xv.jpg

Have you even played any of his games or just blind retarded hate?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The commentary is earnest, if a little on the nose. Sadly, it gets lost in a froth of stoned-undergrad-grade existential waffle towards the end of the game, as Kojima strains unsuccessfully to make something meaningful of his nonsensical story and garbled lore.

As the credits roll on Death Stranding, heavy with unearned pathos, the impression you're left with is of a self-congratulatory monument to the ego of a creator who is high on his own supply. Has Kojima always been this full of it? Maybe. But then you return to the game proper, select a humble delivery order, lace up your boots and plan another reckoning with those unforgettable, haunted moors. And you realise that this game has got under your skin in a way few do.

The Eurogamer review is actually great. This^^ is exactly how I felt playing MGS5. Writing so retarded it's breathtaking. You couldn't create this level of zero self-aware goofy pseudodeep drivel in a lab. Kojima must be really fucking something IRL.

But then you play a mission and you know you haven't had this much fun playing a videogame in years. Maybe ever.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

LdVd9Xv.jpg

I've played every single one of his games. And I know that using the trigger buttons of a controller to move your legs so that you can climb with weights on your back is not innovative gameplay. Its a fucking chore. Its so much of a chore, that a joke gag game was made around that exact mechanic of pressing buttons to move legs. When your only counter-argument to defend this "innovation" that is at the core of this new game, is to question if I've played the old games... maybe reconsider your views.

Egosphere

Arcane
I've always hated Kojima's writing. He had a knack for assembling a team that could give his games a cool aesthetic and a very unique feel, but his inability to write a story without anime-tier nonsense deflated the experience. Now it seems that even the mechanics have been jettisoned. What's left? Cool character design?

What, so MGS has been getting worse has it. So the first one was the best while the last one the worst. Right.

Or maybe "decline" is one of those things that mean the opposite in Bulgaria?

4 was considered a huge decline from the original trilogy, especially the 3rd game. 1st and 3rd are usually people's favourites. For an $80-90m project, V felt lacklustre compared to something like Witcher 3 as well.

Egosphere

Arcane

The 60 from AusGamers near the bottom brings up a pertinent point. Kojima's last MGS project was still one of the most expensive games ever made. He was lavished with time and resources, yet the blame on all of V's shortcomings was deflected away from Koj and onto Konami, with the former acting as if the latter had treated him no better than team Silent.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So it's Red Dead Redemption 2 but japanese and thus icky and not worthy of the typical 88/100 score?
Remember indie game Journey by Thatgamecompany? Its that, but with more cutscenes, and a less subtle message. You traverse terrain, and indirectly cooperate with randoms online, and build better ways to traverse, and then Kojima slaps you across the face with a fish and yells at you how he feels about something.

Terenty

Liturgist

LdVd9Xv.jpg

I've played every single one of his games. And I know that using the trigger buttons of a controller to move your legs so that you can climb with weights on your back is not innovative gameplay. Its a fucking chore. Its so much of a chore, that a joke gag game was made around that exact mechanic of pressing buttons to move legs. When your only counter-argument to defend this "innovation" that is at the core of this new game, is to question if I've played the old games... maybe reconsider your views.

Wtf are you talking about? What trigger buttons what legs? There is nothing like that in DS. I suggest reading a bit about the game in question before saying stupid shit

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

LdVd9Xv.jpg

Wtf are you talking about? What trigger buttons what legs? There is nothing like that in DS. I suggest reading a bit about the game in question before saying stupid shit

Did you play? Left trigger to lean left, right trigger to lean right. It feels VERY similar to QWOP in its very literal and very unfun method of having you control a dude running.

Terenty

Liturgist

LdVd9Xv.jpg

Did you play? Left trigger to lean left, right trigger to lean right. It feels VERY similar to QWOP in its very literal and very unfun method of having you control a dude running.

Did you play? How do you know how it feels?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

LdVd9Xv.jpg

Did you play? How do you know how it feels?

I asked. I saw footage of people ragdolling and falling stupidly. I've played video games before in my life.
How do you know how it feels? Did you play?

Black

Arcane
plhSbqM.png

How is this innovation when bethesda games are filled with quests like this.
YWBirKP.png

Last edited:

Curratum

Is this seriously a fucking quest to deliver PIZZA? What about the mysterious babies and saving the world?

Black

Arcane
The pizza and baby are obvious winks at his pedowood friends to show that he "gets" it.
It's very subtle, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't understand it.

Last edited:

tripedal

Augur
Those reviews remind me of Gaspar Noé: "Six people walked out of Climax? No! I usually have 25%". Actually feels nice to have something divisive.

10/10: Following years of mysterious anticipation, Death Stranding delivers on all fronts.

3/10: What you find within is abysmal; frustrating, tedious and beyond repair, it is to be avoided at all costs.

I'd like to see a debate between a critic who hated it and one who loved it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom