Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Unwanted

†††

Patron
It's shit, 10/10

Nxsvley.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Kojima is really starting to ree about his magnum opus not getting the praise it supposedly deserves.

MGS2 also didn't get much praise at first, then a couple of years after release, specially around the time when MGS4 was about came out people started to say that Kojima is an underrated genius and MGS2 plot was mind blowing.
I suspect the same thing will happen when the inevitable pseudo-philosophical video analysis of DS start to come out.

Yep, this was basically another MGS2. It's what he likes to do, and would have kept doing if Konami didn't force him to continue making MGS.
MGS2 at least had a good gameplay.

That was completely wasted on a intentionally bad campaign.

EDIT: That's why IMO Twin Snakes is a great remake, it's 1's campaign with 2's mechanical and AI improvements.

Machocruz

Arcane
Lol people thought MGS2 was prescient, as if Kojima doesn't get all his ideas from other media and these ideas weren't around for decades beforehand. I think I read somewhere that he ripped ideas from Haruki Murakami novels specifically.

Egosphere

Arcane
I'm guessing that the whole point of the game is that it will bring people together ie. America is fucked, but if we all just worked towards a better future like we do in this vidya game, then everything would become a lot better. Shallow af, but I'm guessing that's the whole premise of DS. I wonder if there's some secret ending or content towards which the people are supposed to 'work together', because if there isn't then the whole game loses its point: you play fedex sim and build more roads to .... get more fedex sim content?

It's shit, 10/10

Nxsvley.png

It isn't really contradictory, per se. Pathologic, the Void and Silent Hill 4 are three games that come to mind which are not enjoyable to play, but which are so weird and put out so many new ideas & concepts for gaming that they're still an interesting experience. Although I'm not sure DS will bring as much to the table as those games did.

Lol people thought MGS2 was prescient, as if Kojima doesn't get all his ideas from other media and these ideas weren't around for decades beforehand. I think I read somewhere that he ripped ideas from Haruki Murakami novels specifically.

A lot of people who thought MGS2 was prescient had not experienced Deus Ex. I pity them.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane

Are the older MGSs also full of goofy pretentious insufferable writing like Phantom Pain? I mean a villain with an eye mask and a fedora riding huge goofy robots, mwhahahahing and twisting his moustache, while somberly narrating his troubled childhood? I mean you couldn't create more brain-melting peak cringe in a lab. Has Kojima always been like this or did he lose his marbles only recently, due to all those fans blowing smoke up his ass 24/7?

a lot of it has to do with translation and interpretation
Doubt. If anything, I'd suspect the English versions toned down how absurd all the games were.

DeepOcean

Arcane
"We need to reconnect America!The world will end if this doesn't happen!"
"Who will we send?"
"A well prepared expedition with tons of guns and supplies for the people?"
"Nope."
"Someone with military background? A scientist?"
"Nope, we gonna send the mailman alone walking thousands of miles, one coast to the other."
"OMG, KOJIMA IS A GOD, THIS IS SO BRILLIANT, SOOO DEEEEP, OMG 11/10!

"We need to reconnect America!The world will end if this doesn't happen!"
"Who will we send?"
"A well prepared expedition with tons of guns and supplies for the people?"
"Nope."
"Someone with military background? A scientist?"
"Nope, we gonna send the mailman alone walking thousands of miles, one coast to the other."
"OMG, KOJIMA IS A GOD, THIS IS SO BRILLIANT, SOOO DEEEEP, OMG 11/10!

Didn't Kevin Costner already make this movie?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why did you only paste the <70 scores you disingenuous fuck? There is 61 positive reviews there, yet you only posted the 12 medium and bad ones.

Yeah, should have included glowing reviews like this one, which make me want to jump off the toilet mid-turd and run out to buy this game:

It's shit, 10/10

Nxsvley.png
Yes, the positive review is totally bullshit, the negative review is always the word of God. Get the fuck out of my sight.

Yes, the positive review is totally bullshit, the negative review is always the word of God. Get the fuck out of my sight.

The point is even the positive reviews basically admit the game is shit but they give it points for artfaggotry anyway. Pull Kojima's cock out of your mouth for once.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This generation of consoles was pretty meh overall, especially the Pro/X versions. So underwhelming compared to PS3/X360, let alone actually good console generations like 5th and 6th.
PS5 is coming in a year or so, and I can't really imagine it being that much better either.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah I get the sense most of those 8/10s and 9/10s reviews are like "myeaah the gameplay is...gooood and stuuuuff but game's gorgeous and very artistic so I'll rave about it to not look like a low-brow retard".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The symbolism is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the meaning will go over a typical gamer's head. There's also Sam's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these allegories, to realize that they're not just stuff in games- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Death Stranding truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the meaning in Hideo's character naming such as "Die Hardman", which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideo Kojima's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Kojima Productions tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

This comment is listed in the stock exchange following this ad:

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The 8/10 and above reviews are pretty much reviewers having a hard time to say they dislike the game but can't for some fucked up reason.

They don't want to offend Kojima-senpai.

Maybe not as much offend Kojimmy, but offend The Gamers™ and thus lose their last shred of Intellectual Gamer Credibility™ they so desperately cling to.

Still, I'm gonna check out this shit show either way. Kojima is nuts, it's probably worth seeing regardless if it's actually good or bad.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
So... .. I guess it's upto the remaining team at Konami to make the true successor to the open-ended stealth design of MGSV now that Kojima's been confirmed a pretentious hack.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom