Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How the fuck do you deal with Mandragora Swarms with a melee heavy party? What a retarded enemy design, but I guess in this game, it fits right in.

Painfully. Hope you took at least one nuker along (one is enough).

Delterius

Arcane
How can Dark Souls and Pathfinder: Kingmaker even be compared? Makes very little sense. The games play completely differently in almost every way.
I have no idea. Porky brought it up. It'd be more apt to compare this game to the cluster fuck that is BG 2. No offense Trashos, but high level dnd gameplay is nauseating. Baldur's Gate 1 will and always be my top game of all time, rivaled only by Pathfinder, of course. Low level dnd gameplay is just so much more satisfying to play.
How dare you. High-level BG2 is so much fun.
Quick! Roll a natural 20 or be forever cursed by my spells! At least in Pathfinder I can bypass that nonsense by forcing a choke point, then having my guys perform a preemptive charge.
Alternatively I cast Time Stop and fuck your shit up before you even get to cast a spell
Which proves my point. In BG 1 I didn't have to deal with none of that high level nonsense.
typical monk splasher, cannot into High Level Magic

Delterius wishes his troubles away.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
of course you have to learn it to play it

This is backwards, which is you missing the point. Your subsequent list is you being too literal.

Not about mechanics. Is about player failure (and how the player responds to it) as core element of design. Compare faceroll Deadfire.

Trashos

Arcane
I think that once again I am ranking up slowly. There are plenty of advisors eligible, but I do not find the time. I am about to visit the Goblin village, and here is my situation:

- Rank 4: 1 advisor
- Rank 2: the rest of the early advisors
- Rank 1: recently unlocked advisor (I have unlocked just one)
- Regions acquired: Outskirts, South Narlmarches and Kamelands.

Is this OK or is it as pathetic as it looks? I am worried, because last time chapters 3&4 flew by without time for promotions.

Desiderius

Patron
I think that once again I am ranking up slowly. There are plenty of advisors eligible, but I do not find the time. I am about to visit the Goblin village, and here is my situation:

Is this OK or is it as pathetic as it looks? I am worried, because last time chapters 3&4 flew by without time for promotions.

The time belongs to the rank ups/regions. You find the time for everything else. Each trip should include multiple objectives.

Which advisor you rank up is also crucial. Telling detail to leave out.

Delterius

Arcane

Trashos

Arcane

The time belongs to the rank ups/regions. You find the time for everything else. Each trip should include multiple objectives.

I leveled up the Councilor to Lvl4, but you guessed right: It was not a grand plan, she was just the advisor who happened to be available when I found time for promotions. At any rate, ranking up the Councilor at least allowed me to unlock the Curator.

I *am* trying to focus on rank ups/promotions, I was too slow last time. But the major events are after me. This is the point of the game that I couldn't find time for promotions last time either, that is why I am worried.

Do you have any milestones that you try to achieve regarding rank ups/new regions? Eg, "have to reach rank X for everyone before Chapter Y" or anything similar?

Desiderius

Patron

I leveled up the Councilor to Lvl4, but you guessed right: It was not a grand plan, she was just the advisor who happened to be available when I found time for promotions. At any rate, ranking up the Councilor at least allowed me to unlock the Curator.

I *am* trying to focus on rank ups/promotions, I was too slow last time. But the major events are after me. This is the point of the game that I couldn't find time for promotions last time either, that is why I am worried.

Do you have any milestones that you try to achieve regarding rank ups/new regions? Eg, "have to reach rank X for everyone before Chapter Y" or anything similar?

Well last time I tried to get Arcane 40 in time for Womb to get Teleportation Circles up, but that’s pretty hardcore (spamming Shrines). Aviaries from Relations 40 are similarly helpful.

Probably a good general principle to try to get secondary advisors unlocked so they can start helping with Events/Warning points.

Major events shouldn’t take much time, when they show up you do them then use the subsequent 200 days for rank ups and artisans.

Silly Germans

I typically get the brothels first to have the ovaries running in Act 3. I like to sent child adventure's to take some of the work off from my shoulders.
Ignore those that say its unethical, they enjoy it!

Desiderius

Patron
I aim to at least get Teleportation Circles and Aviaries for Act 3.

Didn't know there were Acts. What Chapter are you referring to? My goal was to get things up and running in time to get useful items for Vordokai (with an Aviary in Silvermere), immunities/bonuses for Depths, and economy strong enough to buy two Rings in Pitax (preferably with some other odds and ends).

Trashos

Arcane
All right, I will try to focus on Divine-->Arcane and Community-->Relations as the next step.

One design decision that I am not on board with is the need to train the advisors who are not companions. I am not sure why this was done, it makes these advisors a pain in the ass. Last time I used Shandra, Kesten, Jhod, and the Storyteller, and I was happy with their advice, but now I am cutting down on such advisors. Unless I am missing sth, they are strictly inferior time-wise.

Maybe training should have been just 1 week long.

Desiderius

Patron
All right, I will try to focus on Divine-->Arcane and Community-->Relations as the next step.

One design decision that I am not on board with is the need to train the advisors who are not companions. I am not sure why this was done, it makes these advisors a pain in the ass. Last time I used Shandra, Kesten, Jhod, and the Storyteller, and I was happy with their advice, but now I am cutting down on such advisors. Unless I am missing sth, they are strictly inferior time-wise.

Maybe training should have been just 1 week long.

Those are mislabeled. You get the choice of any three advisors, including companions. You don't have to skip time to train them so you should be able to squeeze them in as necessary. In my Chaotic playthrough I had to let Kesten buy it so ended up with all companion advisors. They're slightly better than non-companions (who can't wear equipment) but by the time you can afford to train the non-companions they catch up.

Desiderius

Patron
So why isn't Grandmaster's Rod bypassing the Troll's Fire Immunity?

Misbegotten.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
Grandmaster's Rod makes things ignore spell resistance and spell immunity (the unbeatable spell resistance that golems have), essentially making everything Spell Resistance:No. It does not defeat energy immunity, for which you need to change the damage type.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I am playing tenebrous depth for the first time (during the main campaign). I am lvl10... is it normal to find wild hunts and ghosts wtf (fifth floor or smthing)?

Desiderius

Patron
I am playing tenebrous depth for the first time (during the main campaign). I am lvl10... is it normal to find wild hunts and ghosts wtf (fifth floor or smthing)?

You can get the cool gloves without fighting the WH dude (sixth floor). Fire giant zombies can be a challenge early too. Don’t really need much past Mesmerizing Robe (lvl 8).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom