Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
"Probably single greatest first person shooter ever made." :lol: This faggot in full Shillman mode. I expect to have some fun with this game but there's no way it's as good as he's fapping it out to be.

The thumbnail is peak Shillman already. "An evolution for the FPS genre" Lol fuck off, dude.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I expect to have fun with it, really enjoy it. I also expect it to find ways to piss me off. Like a nice suit that chafes in weird places. Things like glory kills giving too much health. Secrets that are too easy to find but give too powerful rewards. Stuff like that.

I expect to have fun with it, really enjoy it. I also expect it to find ways to piss me off. Like a nice suit that chafes in weird places. Things like glory kills giving too much health. Secrets that are too easy to find but give too powerful rewards. Stuff like that.

I think I already see one addition that will annoy me on top of everything that already annoyed me in Doom 2016 - the grappling hook. At first I thought this was gonna be a cool new addition, until I realised it's tied to a single weapon. So now I'll be forced to use that weapon for majority of time if I want to have full mobility? Seems retarded. I'd rather they tied those ice/flame launchers to weapons and kept that button for grapple.

Jezal_k23

I think I already see one addition that will annoy me on top of everything that already annoyed me in Doom 2016 - the grappling hook. At first I thought this was gonna be a cool new addition, until I realised it's tied to a single weapon. So now I'll be forced to use that weapon for majority of time if I want to have full mobility? Seems retarded. I'd rather they tied those ice/flame launchers to weapons and kept that button for grapple.

You gotta weapon switch dude. It's part of their design philosophy for this game: breakneck pace, have to keep moving to stay alive, gotta switch weapons constantly so you always have the right tool for each situation, etc.

prengle

Savant
fuck.. a zenimax media(tm) owned game's getting good reviews from paid shills and people will most likely buy it at full price and e-enjoy it.. i think i'm going to melt.... :oops::oops::oops:

You gotta weapon switch dude. It's part of their design philosophy for this game: breakneck pace, have to keep moving to stay alive, gotta switch weapons constantly so you always have the right tool for each situation, etc.

Yeah we'll see how that plays out. I suspect I'll be tempted to use super shotty more just because it gives me mobility.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Maybe they should design an arena shooter since this is what they seem to be going for.

Ho wait, those are the guys who did Quake Champions, right? Lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just saw the IGN "review" they aren't just doubling down, they are quadrupling down. The monster pinatas are now much more bright and colored, there's floating interrogative points in secret locations, and for some reason there's yellow shit everywhere. It's starting to feel like an unholy cross between an AAA shooter and an arcade side-scroller.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i can personally believe that the core gameplay loop in doom eternal is very good, but the new UI looks like fucking shit compare to the one in doom 2016

randir14

Augur
I just saw the IGN "review" they aren't just doubling down, they are quadrupling down. The monster pinatas are now much more bright and colored, there's floating interrogative points in secret locations, and for some reason there's yellow shit everywhere. It's starting to feel like an unholy cross between an AAA shooter and an arcade side-scroller.

I hate the neon pinata bullshit. It was already bad enough in the last game, now it's even worse.

Jezal_k23

In better news Ars Technica got so butthurt about the Marauders that they single them out in the review as a major flaw with the game.

It seems they have actually delivered a very high difficulty level in comparison to Doom 2016. For people who like that, I think this game will be good.

It’s already annoying enough when the Marauder shows up as a lonely boss in a mostly empty room. As a one-off timing and positioning challenge, he might not be too bad. But then Marauders start to appear as "just another enemy" in a room full of pressing threats. Waiting for the rare openings where you can even get through a Marauder’s shields requires so much attention that it short-circuits the knife-edge, run-and-gun balance of the rest of the encounter. The only realistic option is to evade the Marauder completely while you kill everything else in the room, then face him one on one—by far the most frustrating part of any encounter.

It feels a bit petty to focus on one annoying enemy. But when that one enemy is responsible for a good 80 percent of the frustrating moments I had in an otherwise well-tuned and fast-paced shooter, the situation is hard to ignore. (At least half of the remaining frustration goes to a single boss fight that features a similar hide-behind-a-shield turtling mechanic.) More than just a difficult speed bump, the Marauder is a challenge that feels antithetical to everything that makes the new Doom games what they are.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
as if modern developers would know what good game design is

Depends on the genre and the dev

They are all console devs and increasingly mobile devs. It's like PC gaming never existed.

There's alot of great games on consoles. In fact a good chunk of the best action games are from console devs.
It simply all depends on what kind of game we're talking about here and who are the devs behind them.
The great decline fully started in 2006 ended in 2015.
Some types of experiences are making a comeback and others are rock solid.
Unfortunately most of the PC centric genres are dead at least on the AAA side of things. But you'll find a couple of good recent ones on indies and even a few AA devs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Doom 2016 is supposed to make you feel like a badass not because you're skilled at the game, but because the awesome button did it for you.

You guys having this never ending focus on the glory kills when the game actually requires a ton of fast moving FPS shooting gameplay is really tiresome. If you don't like the mechanic fine, but to act like it's all there is to the game's combat and challenge is fucking retarded.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Where did that relative bullshit come from? I wasn't even talking about nuDoom in these last 2 posts, and what I said in them is an objective truth.

A game's quality does depend on the devs behind it and their experience + understanding of the type of experience they are crafting.
This is a no-brainer.
I don't have to try the new Nioh to know that it's good. I know that in the worst case it's a fine sequel simply due to the fact the first Nioh was good and it's an hack 'n' slash made by Team Ninja, who have been making good hack 'n' slashes for almost 20 years. They know how to make an engaging combat loop and enemy design because they've proven that even in their worst ouput they still do a better job than the majority.
I also don't need to try out the upcoming Last of Us to know it will be a horrible "game" with shit gameplay, boring campgain, good presentation, laughble attempts at "mature story-telling" and an overwhelming number of shills. It's the direction they've been gladly marching towards since the first Uncharted game, and don't show any signs of change.

Again the rest is true as well.
Consoles do have fantastic games ever since the SNES. And in the action genre particularly, their number of quality titles may very well be greater than the PC.
The decline train did start going full steam ahead around 05/06, but it did massively slow down around 14/15. Mostly due to the rising popularity of AA and indie devs. All you have to do to confirm this is compare the number of great games released yearly in the last 20 years.
And all genres have suffered in that 05-15 period but again, some have recovered in the AAA scene and even in the more "dead" genres you can still find worthwhile releases from smaller teams.

Anyway, since you probably didn't read my older posts of my opinion on nuDoom will repeat them for the last time.
nuDoom 2016 is decent. It's not certantly not great but it's cetantely not horrible. The gameplay design is not flawed enough for that and the campgain doesn't go for longer than it should.
Plus the game isn't the trying to recreate the exact same experience as originals, which imo is a positive as that experience is already perfect in the originals and trying to do it again would just be a reshash, therefore less valueble (plus they would most definetivly fail, so at least this way they are making something new).
Based on what they've shown I simply expect Eternal to be a more tight, polished sequel with expanded content. But again only when the game gets released will we truly know.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's alot of great games on consoles. In fact a good chunk of the best action games are from console devs

They are arcade games, it's not the same thing. PC gaming was a different beast from console gaming and most of the "great" games you are talking about come from Japan. What we are dealing with here is western developers who played consoles because they were more casual and affordable than PCs and have a completely different view of the platform than the Japanese do (or did), who at a time dominated the coin op industry where they made games harder on purpose in order to fleece more coins out of people and they sort of transposed that mentality on console games as well. In the west however consoles were a thing mostly because the PC was too teh hard, that's why cross platforming has resulted in the popamolization of the entire industry.

And even then, like i said, console games are basically arcade games (that includes stuff like Dark Souls), where as PC gaming was more about exploring the possibilities of the platform or computing technology in general. Hence, the prevalence of simulations, strategy games, RPGs and so forth. Many of the typical genres found in PC games can be traced all the way back to the games students were making for mainframes back in the 70s. Stuff like RPGs, strategy games, adventure games, even MMOs, were already a thing back then and those games developed further on the home PC when it started to become more available. The fact id software started out by making platformers doesn't mean Doom didn't also represent an exploration of the possibilities of the medium. We know Carmack was interested in developing a first person engine after playing Ultima Underworld, with which he was impressed by and which made him want to make a version of that with even more fluid and realistic movement. Likewise, the reason Doom had the kind of level design it did is that the devs themselves played RPGs, were used to making their own maps etc. Action game or not, Doom is part of the world of PC gaming where stuff like bright colored shit coming out of enemies, "arcade modes" with lives, score mechanics etc should have no place.

The Brutal Doom dev was perfectly correct in that interview. It's not that Doom is serious or super realistic, but it should not be so blatantly arcadish and it should also not be so formulaic, which is another aspect of console gaming, where the "style" of the game overrides it's conceptual content (hence, why all the console games have to have the same shit, the same "upgrade" paths, the same "open world" mechanics, the same tropes and cliches etc), where as on the PC it was the inverse, hence, why Doom spawned so many first person games each attempting to do something different, because again the point of the PC platform was to see what could be done with the tech and not just to produce products for mass consumption, which is what games are now for the most part.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What, did you stop reading right there? I acknowledged that in the very next sentence. The point is that it's tasteless pandering that doesn't need to be there, especially when there is more to the game beyond that. Of course, even with that, the difficulty and speed of the game is still very overstated.

Read your own shit, "some potential if they hadn't done that" isn't some grand acceptance of the combat.

What I'm saying is it has fun combat, and the glory kills don't ruin that by any means. Everyone acts like you're constantly, forcibly removed from gameplay, which is "FAKE NEWS!" Glory kills are optional, take a short time, and can be done very sparingly. The game has more fast-paced and vertical combat than any AAA FPS I can remember since Halo made them multiplatform. There's a reason people who bitched about the state of FPS games for a decade flocked to it with enthusiasm.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On one side you have the Codex with a raging hateboner for anything NuDoom, and on the other side you have basically the rest of the internet gushing over it like it's the second coming of FPS Christ.
In actuality, it's probably going to be a pretty fun game: Nothing groundbreaking like all the reviewers and (((influencers))) are claiming, but not some horrible affront to the very identity of the genre either. This is the internet however, and it only deals in extremities.
yup. people saying trailers are edgy tryhard, i mean that's doom overall.

the general formula is the same, except the nu doom trade tight mazes over more open, arena like level. they're both fun. dumb fun, but still damn well made game.

that of course overhyped by competent marketing team and fairly strong brand name.

i played DOOM 2016, and it was one of the most polished, optimized game in this game. run like butter on my old shit PC, and experienced no bugs at all if i recall correctly. the gameplay is smooth, and while the new format might not be your liking, don't pretend it's the worst game ever. it's good, if it's not for you then it's fine.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the general formula is the same, except the nu doom trade tight mazes over more open, arena like level.
so it's not the same.
it's not exactly the same, but there are still some of old doom part, like the weapons, movement, etc.also codexer saying nu DOOM is tryhard edgy. DOOM is always edgy. you have typical tough guy edgy strongman protagonist. it hasn't change a bit. in that department.

again, it might be not to your liking, doesnt mean it's bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom