Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    https://atomrpg.com

https://www.gog.com/game/atom_rpg_p...e?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Show Spoiler
    Hey guys! It's your boy Atomboy here, bringing you some sick news about ATOM, A Post Nuclear RPG. Me and the guys (we call ourselves AtomTeam, but basically we're a few writers, artists and programmers from Eastern Europe), we always enjoyed games like Wasteland and the first two Fallout games. Really felt terrible when Van Buren didn't fly like the golden baby it was.
    So a few years later, we started making our own game set in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The twist we chose was obvious, since we all grew up in the USSR. We made parts of Russia and Ukraine our setting.
    Otherwise, the product we conceived plays exactly like an old school CRPG. We got barter, we got tons of dialogue and even more flavor text, we got dated graphics, we got turn-based combat. We got a 'sort of" GURPS derivative for our role-playing system. All the jazz, you know.
    Now it's one thing making a game. We did it.
    It's another thing getting your game greenlit. We're at 60% and it's only our first day.
    But it's a completely other thing to get someone from this here forum to talk about our game. Now that would be an honor. That's kind of why I am posting - to try our luck at appealing to the gourmets of the genre.
    Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks, guys! Hope you'll like it!

Here is a link to our free demo: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772451440

Screenshots are attached.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2019
    • Brofist x 35
    • Salute x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Top marks for lurking

• Funny x 13
    • Agree x 4
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Epsilon Cipher

Epsilon
    This looks great!. And I really like that you're supporting Linux. Any chance of a Linux version of the demo?

^ Top  
  4. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    This is 1 character centric game? No party creation?
    Where's kingcomrade option from the poll?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. covr Cipher

covr
    Ui and graphics looks better than Wasteland 2 which is a good start. How long this has been in development?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Hard and fast questions, just how you easterners like:

1. Character/Party: One-char (like Fallout and Age of Decadence), One character + CNPCs (like Baldur's Gate), Party creation (like Wasteland) or párty creation + CNPCs (like Wasteland 2?)

2. Tactical turn-based combat? FOT-level, Wasteland 2 level, JA2 level?

3. 3D graphics... why?

4. System requirements? Does this game run on 1024x600 resolution, or even 800x600? I'm stuck with a shitty netbook right now.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Neki Learned

Neki
    You have my vote.
    Post-apoc,isometric And Russian,That is how you make a game.

Is the Protag really named the chosen one or is just a joke for the screenshot?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Are you going to add varied and gory death animations? it's an important part of Fallout.

Also will it feature tastefully done rape?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Aww, you noticed :) I was there even before you could combine the crab and the bucket, in the shadows... Took making our own game to show up as a registered user :D

I mean how could we not! We love it :) The build for a Linux version is in the works, I really hope we'll release next week.

Well this kid has the "Chosen One/Vault dweller" vibe to him, hence the joke name in the demo. But we're planning on other people to join the party when you get to Krasnoznamenny City (The local Baldur's Gate).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. LJ40 Savant

LJ40
    You have my vote too. Looked a lot better than anything else on that Greenlight page at the very least.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    I think it's a national, nay, scratch that. It's a pan-slavic pastime - try and make your own Fallout, with vodka and medveds. Well, it's not the first, and it won't be the last. I've got a couple of questions:
    a) where's my корольтоварищ option in the poll;
    b) why the fuck you implemented rotating camera rather than fixed one.
    Otherwise, well, I wish you luck.

Но реально, чуваки, вам бы поярче изюминку показать, а то уже стопятсот мильонов своих Фоллачей народ пытался слепить, пусть и безуспешно.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    From the Video:
    UI looks like Fallout, even sound effect are the same.
    Nice Music.
    What? Stalin astronaut drinking beer poster? :) Insta buy
    You should guys put English text above Russian in the description box.
    Dialogues do not have many replies.... Is it because it is VIP, right?
    Are you going to put perks in?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Agree, what's the point? It's annoying for developer since you have to consider the player might look at an area from any direction when placing things, and it's annoying for player to constantly wrestle with camera rotation while navigating.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    I voted for this. Looks like a turned based Planet Alcatraz (aka Dungeon Cleaners).

Will try the demo.

^ Top  
  15. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Now that's what I call praise! Thanks, man! :) Well, the whole thing started back in 2014 with one guy, our main programmer. Then artists joined in. Then, in late 2015, two writers came along (I'm one of them) and that's when 60% of the game's content was made. In 9 months or so. It sort of lingered beforehand, each build taking months.

---

HERE WE GO!
    1. Probably the Fallout 1 variant with followers who you can't control, although some with the +CNPCs variant.
    2. Now it's on the Fallout 1-2 level. In future probably FOT + the new Shadowrun-esque cover system. JA2 light, some might say!
    3. Unity is very friendly to the code and design guys. They love it! Plus we agreed that turning and zooming the camera felt good, especially when something awesome is on the screen. Like a bunch of dead ant gore.
    4. Settings are customizable, the best res is 2560х1440, but you could scale it down to the good old 640x480! Honestly, the minimum reqs are tiny. I sort of playtested it on 1gb of DDR3

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    You got us! Had to go with something flashy for the demo. In actual full version, you will be able to type in a name. Maybe even pick your looks and gender... Oh the age we live in!

Huge thanks for the vote! It really means a lot! We're almost at our goal now!

You bet. Our animator literally has this as his one and only job at this moment in the dev cycle. A multitude of gory happenings can be assured! Maybe even full on dismemberment of the joints that were hit!
    And on the topic of rape, sadly, there will possibly be several options for it in the Soviet Wastes. Most of the rape I currently have planned will occur in the big city of Krasnoznamyonsk, though. And it's not in the latest build yet. Will probably take a month.

Haha! Nice! Who knew people would remember that old thing! As far as I remember though, the English version of Dungeon Cleaners had it's most savage, humorous, and homoerotic parts removed in the release. I doubt we'll make the same mistake as our comrade Goblin did. And a huge thanks for that vote!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    We really appreciate it! Thank you very much!

Hey-hey! :) Yeah, the English poster is coming up!
    And spot on about the dialogues. They're not too simple even now, but what I'm planning for each living person in the game (and several mutated beasts, robots, living computers, etc) is to have at least 4-5 conversation topics, most of which if not all would branch into their own dialogue trees ad infinitum. Perks, I believe, are going to happen, yes.

That it is. Pan-slavic at the very least. Can't really say why we have a fully moving camera and not something like POE with zoom only, but the main tech guys / builders of the game find it simpler to work with.
    Thanks :D Oh, and now some gibberish: наша изюминка не слишком приметна в промо-материалах, ибо она заключается в запланированных тормент-стайл мега-диалогах и в мощном акценте на разговорах, общении, флейвортексте. Это то что мы, может быть немного самонадеянно, считаем наиболее выпирающей фичей игры, которая в остальном просто адекватна. А ещё я так и не понял что значит этот мем про "королятоварища", но боюсь признаваться... они решат что я жалкий нуб!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Oh yeah, I don't think I can edit my posts... So I'll make a new one because I missed one of the things you said. The sounds are placeholders currently, because we only have a composer. Future builds will have our very own sounds, and a much more original UI. The music is already our own, though :) Thanks!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    lovely, who wouldn't want a second Krai Mira

^ Top  
  20. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Roast accepted ;) But we want to stay as far as possible from Krai Mira. Really. We do. And seeing how we have at least three dialogue lines with every character in the demo, we are already pretty far away :D

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. and 2nd After Reset
    and 2nd Fan Made Fallout

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Nice! :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  23. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    As for camera, your tech guys should seriously consider at least to add a lock option with preferable camera direction and view. If you have read Wasteland 2 feedback, annoying rotating camera was a really common and justified complaint.

Если реально фича в PST-style диалогах, то ох. Я не знаю, остались ли у нас еще вменяемые переводчики на английский, которые смогут что-то приличное выдать. Даже если у вас получится крутой текст с офигенным флейвором. Но в любом случае желаю удачи. Тут довольном много русских, просто большинство не палится.

Корольтоварищ - kingcomrade опция в опросах, по имени одного из юзеров здешних. Означает нечто среднее между "этот опрос сосет" и "смешная третья опция".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. skyst Savant

skyst
    I backed it on Steam Greenlight and skimmed through the videos. Those sound effects are so eerily familiar... just can't place them. HMMMM.

^ Top  
  25. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    To someone raised with American sensibilities there was plenty of savagery, racial humor, casual slavery and homoeroticism in Planet Alcatraz. The real problem was that any hint of C&C and parts of the plot were incomprehensible due to poor translation. That and too much trash combat, particularly in the side quests. Anyway, good luck with your game.

:lol: Now that's a low blow.

Just judging by the size of the demo file, they have already surpassed After Reset.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)