Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skorpion

Educated
that camero is painted like that, the porsche however not so much

jaekl

Learned
Patron
What's the build in this game for guys who want to crush their enemies rather than gab with the locals and weasel out of everything?

dskdev

Barely Literate
I've been playing this game recently and been having fun. It replicates a lot of the same balance problems of the original Fallouts uncritically when it comes to making a build and combat, but for what its worth its fine so far.

I stumbled upon a let's play on LPArchive/SA though and the guy playing it seems to absolutely despite it. (Linked here: https://lparchive.org/ATOM-RPG/) has anyone else checked it out? I would check the 196 pages of this topic but...nah, I won't.

His main criticisms seem to be the lack of themes, lack of choice in the story, over reliance on references for humor, over reliance on purple prose and pointless dialogue, and there's also some kind of political bent to it all? The game being set in Soviet Russia and most of the NPCs wanting it to come back.

Last edited:

MjKorz

Educated
I've been playing this game recently and been having fun. It replicates a lot of the same balance problems of the original Fallouts uncritically when it comes to making a build and combat, but for what its worth its fine so far.

I stumbled upon a let's play on LPArchive/SA though and the guy playing it seems to absolutely despite it. (Linked here: https://lparchive.org/ATOM-RPG/) has anyone else checked it out? I would check the 196 pages of this topic but...nah, I won't.

His main criticisms seem to be the lack of themes, lack of choice in the story, over reliance on references for humor, over reliance on purple prose and pointless dialogue, and there's also some kind of political bent to it all? The game being set in Soviet Russia and most of the NPCs wanting it to come back.
The game has plenty of C&C and reactivity to accommodate most builds and multiple endings. For me, not knowing the references was part of the game's charm as it added to the game's bizarre, sometimes outright schizo atmosphere.

thesecret1

Arcane
the lack of themes
Debatable

lack of choice in the story
There are choices, but admittedly not that many, and they mostly come in play at the very end

over reliance on references for humor
True.

over reliance on purple prose
It's not that bad, but yes, it is present.

pointless dialogue
Nah. What there was that didn't relate to quests was there for flavor.

there's also some kind of political bent to it all? The game being set in Soviet Russia and most of the NPCs wanting it to come back.
That's the most unfair criticism of the whole bunch. Most NPCs want USSR to come back because they associate it with pre-apocalypse life and because the politburo, in one way or another, managed to survive and keep pushing the ideology. If anything, it satirizes the USSR, but doesn't go as far as to try to disparage it.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I read that LP at the time, thought it was basically uncharitable. ATOM RPG is fundamentally a good game.

That said, there are some balance issues and my party fell behind the curve towards the end. Acquiring good gear is very important in this game and if you systematically miss opportunities (eg by letting enemies walk away wearing their equipment) you will struggle later on.

I don't see how you could play it and view it as pro-Soviet in really any way. It is very critical of the USSR and only a very surface reading of it could take it as earnest nostalgia for the Russian C20.

Honestly, this game had the best flavour NPCs I've ever seen. And only pro- USSR I remember was the alleged dindu nuffin on the Berlin war fight

dskdev

Barely Literate
After playing a while more I am starting to understand one of the other big criticisms from the LPer, the fact that the writing is very cynical. Most quests you either enter with bad intentions, or are duped into doing something bad, including the main quest somewhat, and a lot of dialogue options are either apathetic and/or dickish. Though this might just be a theme of the game or part of the humor, I don't think the devs actively have some kind of vendetta like the LPer implies a lot.

And that Smash Mouth reference...why? lol

Technomancer

Liturgist
2-thisisfunnyright.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom