Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Technomancer

Liturgist
I didn't realize that I could double-stack effects until I read this thread. Not that you could regurlarly double-stack perfume, it's a rare item anyway.
Eh, some traders always sell it, guaranteed infinite supply, only need to wait for restock counter. Worst thing is, they accumulate it the longer you play, so you can buy in bulk later.

The hospital chick for example.

Sykar

Arcane
Fallout 2 had like 8 perma att rises (cards forr 6 and fou could rise Luck by 2 with hubologist in NCR IIRC, also 1 exploit for luck with a dog, but I never used it so not sure if it works) + Power Armour + Buffouts/Mentats + gifted. There are guides about finishing the game with almost 10 in everything, so...
Drugs do not count. Sure, you could start with gifted and reach 7 in all stats, +1 if you want to wear Mirrored Shades and +2 IF you were lucky to get the bonus, which is not guaranteed to happen.
That character would not be great though. 7 Agi and 7 Int for a gifted are pretty sub optimal. 7 Strength is sort of a waste too unless you are melee. 7 Endurance is nice but only really interesting to have 5+ Endurance on no-reload runs, where you would actually go for 9 or 10 from the get-go. Also, those upgrades are not cheap. Unlike with merchants you cannot barter for something else, they only take a lump chump of change. The dermal implant reduces
Power Armor is also very late game; you get the first one the normal way San Fran. By that time the game is 85% over and little else is left to do unless you exploit the game and just bee line to San Fran for if you have enough to barter for it, which is basically is nothing but meta the shit out of the game even harder.

Here is the thing though, outside of 10 Agi and int at 7-8 the rest of your stats are not all that important. Far more important are your tagged skills and whatever you feel you want to go along with it like lockpicking or steal.

I didn't realize that I could double-stack effects until I read this thread. Not that you could regurlarly double-stack perfume, it's a rare item anyway.
Eh, some traders always sell it, guaranteed infinite supply, only need to wait for restock counter. Worst thing is, they accumulate it the longer you play, so you can buy in bulk later.

The hospital chick for example.
But here is the question. Why would you do that in a RPG? Obvious flaws like that can be easily avoided if you have an ounce of restraint. I always laugh at that retardation when people seem to be worse than unsupervised 5-year-old toddlers in a candy store.

Krivol

Magister
Fallout 2 had like 8 perma att rises (cards forr 6 and fou could rise Luck by 2 with hubologist in NCR IIRC, also 1 exploit for luck with a dog, but I never used it so not sure if it works) + Power Armour + Buffouts/Mentats + gifted. There are guides about finishing the game with almost 10 in everything, so...
Doesn't mean it was good design or it should be emulated. Fallout 3 had an end game perk that would raise all stats to 9 and you could delay collectibles to get 10 in every stat, which is beyond retarded. Hence, why you will rarely see such broken shit in RPG. But take New Vegas for example, where people behind did spent some time thinking about balance.

Wait. FNV had the possibility of raising EVERY stat with cash, and CHA was a dump stat (in the unmodded game it gave you almost nothing), so reaching 10 in all stats that matter was even easier (and it had the same perk from fallout 3 where you can literally rise any stat). Don't say FNV is balanced - I was able to finish it on the hardest difficulty without any trouble and I am not some kind of pro ;) .

Technomancer

Liturgist
FNV had the possibility of raising EVERY stat with cash
By one and only if you invested in Endurance to handle that many implants, essentially making one stat non dumpable if you wanted to max out benefits. Charisma still directly buffed companion combat performance by 5% a point so while it wasn't as important it still had uses. This is where Atom did something better, by locking out certain interactions if CHA score was too low.
it had the same perk from fallout 3 where you can literally rise any stat
At the very steep price of whole perk. At best you would use it only once or twice to avoid gimping yourself too much. Unlike 3 you only get perks every two levels, not on every level.
Don't say FNV is balanced - I was able to finish it on the hardest difficulty without any trouble and I am not some kind of pro ;) .
Not saying its perfect. Just better balanced than Atom.

jackofshadows

Magister
Uh, didn't you play Fallout? And it's not rare item at all, you can buy any amount of it off the hospital chick.
Here is the thing though, outside of 10 Agi and int at 7-8 the rest of your stats are not all that important. Far more important are your tagged skills and whatever you feel you want to go along with it like lockpicking or steal.
Wut. Endurance is very important unless you play solo with stealth or like to savescumm (you basically wrote it yourself just above). Perception is important for ranged combat, Str for melee duh. Not to mention luck, the most awesome stat.
But here is the question. Why would you do that in a RPG? Obvious flaws like that can be easily avoided if you have an ounce of restraint. I always laugh at that retardation when people seem to be worse than unsupervised 5-year-old toddlers in a candy store.
Dude, play the game as you want but don't tell others they're playing it wrong. Besides, to me stacking CHA is fucking nothing compared to the ability of raising END from 2 to 10 (or even 11) and getting respective HP pool before almost any major fight - THAT's ridiculous.

Sykar

Arcane
I said nothing about "playing wrong". That is just blatant nonsense that you want to read into my post. I do however make fun of people complaining or implying that a game is "too easy" when they use every weakness, flaw and exploit in the book on top of reading up on the most OP meta shit before they even started the game.
As to the rest, bollocks. Strength is easily a stat that you can even leave at 4 early on outside of melee and even then, AP from agility is more important than strength. Endurance is not all that important unless you want to play a no-reload game which is a particular way to play that not everybody enjoys. I am one of those who do not enjoy it anymore. It seems though like you believe that ANY reload equals save scumming. Which is ludicrous.
I do not see how luck is "awesome". Aimed Shots grant far more crit chance than luck ever could and with Finesse trait and More Critical Feat there is enough crit chance to go around. It is nice to have some, but far from vital. People gush over Sniper but unless you like grinding the shit out of the game early on you will almost never see it. You can usually get the game done by around 20-21 if you play without grinding.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Uh, didn't you play Fallout? And it's not rare item at all, you can buy any amount of it off the hospital chick.
i never double-stacked effects in Fallout too, not a powergamer.

Can't pass a check? Let's try consumable. Still doesn't work? Eh, maybe i'll try it on the next playthrough.

jackofshadows

Magister
I said nothing about "playing wrong". That is just blatant nonsense that you want to read into my post.
What the fuck mate. You clearly implied NOT ignoring the alleged flaw is laughable. But yeah, it's my wild interpretation, lmao.
I do however make fun of people complaining or implying that a game is "too easy" when they use every weakness, flaw and exploit in the book on top of reading up on the most OP meta shit before they even started the game.
No idea where you saw something like that in regards to ATOM, honestly. What I saw people mostly post itt that the difficulty is +/- fair and they usually did go blind hence missed lots of stuff like aforementioned parfume vendor or didn't figure out certain game mechanics right off the bat (hence the game seemed fairly difficult to them and there were even complains about hard encounters like the one on Playground). By the way, using legit game mechanics isn't exploit by any stretch.
Strength is easily a stat that you can even leave at 4 early on outside of melee and even then, AP from agility is more important than strength.
Agree but I didn't say otherwise.
Endurance is not all that important unless you want to play a no-reload game which is a particular way to play that not everybody enjoys. I am one of those who do not enjoy it anymore. It seems though like you believe that ANY reload equals save scumming. Which is ludicrous.
Friendly reminder that HP pool should allow to survive at least one turn in Fallout/ATOM enviroment (because you can heal as much as you want, duh) and that include crits, and in practice that means your chances of surviving against end game enemies are low with something like END < 5. Unless you play with stealth (feels like cheating almost) or at least heavily rely on offence (sniper/slayer).
i never double-stacked effects in Fallout too, not a powergamer.
That's not powergaming, that's just gaming. Try going into PF thread and tell people that you don't bother to buff more than once. Double psycho gives cap DR, just like double rad-x allows to forget about radiation. Sure, if Fallout would've been tweaked by some guy which goes by lets say Styg nickname, that shit would've been nerfed immediately but it wasn't and many would say for the better.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Had a bit of fun playing this a few weekends in a row but then hit a dead end with my melee build.

I was pretty upset when I checked the wiki and saw there's nothing superior to a pre-war sabre. No rippers, no super sledges. Why is there a perk tree for something that's 100% a trap?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
One thing not to be overlooked about this gem - It is available on android and was what I first played and beat it on. Hands down the best true crpg you can play on your phone outside emulators.

It controls well enough on mobile, runs well on midrange phones, and has cloud saves that are cross platform compatible so you can hop back and forth between pc and mobile.
Fucking amazing!

orcinator

Liturgist
Nobody here made a Atom screenshot LP so the Something Awful Gendervalids made one jamselves.
A Land of Bandits and Incoherence
I hate bandits, all my homies hate bandits.
I Award You One Darwin Award
Dan the Bandit Man
The Cormac McCarthy Zone
The OTHER Postmodern RPG
I'm A Doctor, not an Overused Reference!
While You Studied Mein Kampf, I Studied The Blade
FUCK Kraznosnamenny
Midnight Therapy
QAnon: The RPG
Krasnoznamenny Nights
Hot Sewer Sex
The Prokhanov Zone
Edgar Maddison Welch Cosplay
The Secret of Bunker 317
Bonus update: Conspiracy... of Apathy!
Deep Lore... by Ayn Rand
Look Mommy, I'm Post Modern!
Three Sewer Mafia
Curse Your Inevitable And Pointless Betrayal
In Which The Great Evil King Was Mistaken About What Was Next
OWNED By Dan, the Bandit Man!
The Election... of Apathy!
How the Emperor Ruined Halloween
A Real Dedication To Squandering Potential - and Genocide!
I Never Knew Time Travel Could Be This Boring
Revenge... of the Bad Pacing
The Tunnel of Instant Death
Bonus Update: Can We Fix This Game?
All You Have Belongs To Dan
Return of the Postman Conspiracy
The Triumph of Prokhanov
The Riddle of Cossack Steel
A Miracle Happens
What if Metro 2033, But Boring?
WHY???? [Warning: Disgusting]
Pizzagate is real! PIZZAGATE IS REAL!
It Was A Waste Of Time All Along!
The Last of All Sidequests
The End of ATOM
Your Choices Totally Mattered! (There's a mention of the RPG Code review here, surprised they even go to this site)

Xander77's Dope-Ass Pacifist Run
Unlike me, Xander77 actually knows Russian culture and can meaningfully comment on things besides my endless tirade of "this is dogshit".

Update 1
Pacifist playthrough - Otradnoye part 1
Pacifist Playthrough – Dan’s Bandits
Pacifist Playthrough - Random encounters and Roaring Forest
Pacifist Playthrough – Otradnoye part 3
Pacifist Walkthrough - spooky scary cultist-tons
Sex and Totally Unintentional Violence
Propaganda and Politics
Mafia and Criminal Activity
Crime and Punishment, I guess?
Clown world, amirite?
Mountain Pass of Woe and the end of Pacifism
Is it over Caim Hexogen
Final thoughts

Technomancer

Liturgist
Nobody here made a Atom screenshot LP so the Something Awful Gendervalids made one jamselves.
Dan the Bandit Man
The Cormac McCarthy Zone
The OTHER Postmodern RPG
FUCK Kraznosnamenny
Midnight Therapy
Krasnoznamenny Nights
Hot Sewer Sex
The Prokhanov Zone
The Secret of Bunker 317
Deep Lore... by Ayn Rand
Three Sewer Mafia
The Triumph of Prokhanov
A Miracle Happens
The End of ATOM
Your Choices Totally Mattered! (There's a mention of the RPG Code review here, surprised they even go to this site)

Unlike me, Xander77 actually knows Russian culture and can meaningfully comment on things besides my endless tirade of "this is dogshit".

Update 1
Propaganda and Politics
Clown world, amirite?
Is it over Caim Hexogen
Final thoughts

atom.png

Damn, while its pretty harsh it still find it a fair summary of the game. It could've been great if devs had narrative or system design mastery like say Iron Tower developers have (especially with Colony Ship), instead the game is amateurishly made which is noticeable the most in its writing and gameplay. It still is a decent first attempt and its commendable that the project was developed to completion and into a polished enough game, unlike so many other indies. And despite its massive flaws you can still find enjoyment if you lower your expectations and simply find entertainment in roaming post-apocalyptic worlds, finding better gear, surviving. The effort shines through in some visual aspects so I wouldn't go as far as describing it as "miserable" experience overall.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Dan the Bandit Man
The Cormac McCarthy Zone
The OTHER Postmodern RPG
FUCK Kraznosnamenny
Midnight Therapy
Krasnoznamenny Nights
Hot Sewer Sex
The Prokhanov Zone
The Secret of Bunker 317
Deep Lore... by Ayn Rand
Three Sewer Mafia
The Triumph of Prokhanov
A Miracle Happens
The End of ATOM

Update 1
Propaganda and Politics
Clown world, amirite?
Is it over Caim Hexogen
Final thoughts

atom.png

Damn, while its pretty harsh it still find it a fair summary of the game. It could'be been great if devs had narrative or system design mastery like say Iron Tower developers have (especially with Colony Ship), instead the game is amateurishly made which is noticeable the most in its writing and gameplay. It still is a decent first attempt and its commendable that the project was developed to completion and into a polished enough game, unlike so many other indies. And despite its massive flaws you can still find enjoyment if you lower your expectations and simply find entertainment in roaming post-apocalyptic worlds, finding better gear, surviving. The effort shines through in some visual aspects so I wouldn't go as far as describing it as "miserable" experience overall.
aod is one of the worst games I've ever played and this post gave me penis cancer.

Technomancer

Liturgist
aod is one of the worst games I've ever played

I know how you feel about it, it also has flaws. Maybe you will like CS better because it is much closer to traditional RPG design, has party, perks and is in general way less frustrating and difficult compared to AoD. More gameplay focused too.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dan the Bandit Man
The Cormac McCarthy Zone
The OTHER Postmodern RPG
FUCK Kraznosnamenny
Midnight Therapy
Krasnoznamenny Nights
Hot Sewer Sex
The Prokhanov Zone
The Secret of Bunker 317
Deep Lore... by Ayn Rand
Three Sewer Mafia
The Triumph of Prokhanov
A Miracle Happens
The End of ATOM

Update 1
Propaganda and Politics
Clown world, amirite?
Is it over Caim Hexogen
Final thoughts

atom.png
That was accurate and hilarious but also why I think the game is so enjoyable. Most of the things mentioned aren't negative, instead they are what makes this game so special.

orcinator

Liturgist
the cryptobros should have been patched out
on the other hand, Jay from RLM fame is completely in character
You talking about
Mike "Not Just The Men, But The Women And Children Too" Stoklasa
Mike "I Don't Hold Back When I Viciously Attack Blacks" Stoklasa
Mike "Empty My Nine On The Welfare Line" Stoklasa
Mike "Goin' Mental on the Oriental" Stoklasa
Mike "Aboriginal War Criminal" Stoklasa
Mike "Aryan: Resurrection" Stoklasa
Mike "Roma in a Coma" Stoklasa
Mike "Women Lack Spatial Reasoning" Stoklasa
Mike "The Jews Run Hollywood" Stoklasa
Mike "Why Should They be Allowed to Vote" Stoklasa
Mike "Take a look at the Bell Curve" Stoklasa
Mike "They are Ruining Civilized Society" Stoklasa
Mike "I dare you to try me, hymie" Stoklasa
Mike "Kick a spic in the dick" Stoklasa
Mike "What are you, high? The holocaust was a lie!" Stoklasa
Mike "I-Raped-And-Murdered-A-Jewish-Woman-On-January-23rd-1999" Stoklasa
Mike "ReichsLuftfahrtMinisterium" Stoklasa
Mike "Senegal Wrecking Ball" Stoklasa
Mike "It's Mein Partei and I'll Heil If I Want To" Stoklasa
Mike "Girth of a Nation" Stoklasa
Mike "Ran Over An SJW In MY BMW" Stoklasa
Mike "Ampf" Stoklasa
there?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
ps the car you get looks like fucking shit
Doesn't that make it genuinely Soviet?
not really, I like soviet cars a lot
first time playing, I was quite excite at the prospect of getting to fix the shitbox at the abandoned factory, thinking it's the free option with SOUL converse to the costly options in Peragon that are perhaps better but without SOUL
nope, one was played for a deep and heartwrenching story event and the other for a joke
all you get is the ugliest piece of shit in a location that's not even integrated well

lightbane

Arcane
obody here made a Atom screenshot LP so the Something Awful Gendervalids made one jamselv

Oh, that LP. I was considering whether or not to mention it here. The author has a clear hate-boner against the game, somewhat deserved as the writing is awful, but at times he's too busy frothing to realize he made mistakes or outright tell blatant lies to rage some more, ignoring the call outs from the other posters in the lp thread. The second LP with a pacifist character is better.

Is the expansion better than the base game writing-wise? According to the LP your MC is treated as a retard regardless of your INT score, which eventually gets annoying.

Technomancer

Liturgist

One thing I hate about it, is that it's literally this in game:

giphy.gif

As in on worldmap, car model is simply slapped on top of your pedestrian char model and if you listen you can hear fucking walking noises under the engine. Shit drives me crazy.

Atomboy any chance for this extra bit of polish? Mute walking sounds when you use the car.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom