Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best and worst New Vegas DLC?

Best and worst DLC?

• Total voters

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I own all DLC, i have only played, but not finished, Old War blues... I keep postponing playing them for years. I have completed the main game 4-5 times. There is something wrong with me i can feel. LOL.

Okagron

Prophet
Ulysses was badly needed as pro Legion companion in the main game, cutting him for DLC was probably the worst decision Obsidian made.
Vulpes Inculta was apparently going to be a companion but that was cut. It always felt odd that there was no companion that was pro-Legion and i think it would have been great if he was one in the final release. Plus he could have had some dialogue giving more insight into the Legion.

Black Angel

Arcane
too bad we will never visit the mormon settlement, i thought it was gonna be interesting. in fallout: nevada there are supposed to be a mormon settlement near salt lake city, either it is ommited out, or i just didn't find it. it would be interesting even if it isn't canon.
It was omitted, sadly. I was hyped when I meet the guy in New Reno who said he was from around Salt Lake City.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I would have loved Lonesome road if it was more desolate. Like the thing that was most dangerous was the environment itself. Marked men should have been much fewer and farther in between, but it would have been awesome if every encounter was like a mini-boss fight. The environment would come alive and be more brutal, like winds that could impede you and if you weren't properly protected with specific armor types (power armor or some other sealed types) could kill you. Radiation storms that blanket an area and cause all sorts of problems, like EMP lightning storms that temporarily short out your armor and weapons (if power armor OR energy weapons, etc.), Acid Rain storms that cause Damage over Time, pure rad storms, wind storms that can fling you around and even kill you cause they whip around so quickly. The ability to lose the game by becoming a marked one yourself, utterly insane and numb from the constant agony. I would have liked it if the DLC were larger in environments as well in the sense that, for example, the highway was bigger, with multiple layers to it you could explore, but dangerous with environmental hazards.

The feel could have been better as well if, because of the devastation, only the marked men had any sort of real equipment except for a few hidden underground locations that were somehow protected from the detritus or buried. The Couriers Mile location could have been more horrifying as well. Really force the player to rely on his own survival skills, etc. and his own preparedness. Have interactions with Ulysses be similar, but maybe make it more that he is becoming affected by the divide itself in some way, and with each conversation a bit of his madness seeps through. He's not beyond saving, morally or physically, but your actions here should have major consequences in the game beyond the Nuke ability. Give ED-E in the Mojave that personality of the clone in Lonesome Road afterwards, or if you choose to save him and just redirect nukes, have there some sort of ramifications in the final battle. I dunno. Something though beyond your rep with different factions.

Black Angel

Arcane
Give ED-E in the Mojave that personality of the clone in Lonesome Road afterwards,
That wouldn't be bittersweet, though. You also need to consider that the ED-E of the Divide is completely different than the ED-E of the Mojave, and beating Lonesome Road already transfer the ability gained by the ED-E of the D to the ED-E of the M, iirc.

2house2fly

Magister
iirc Lonesome Road ED-E is what the real ED-E would be like if his hardware hadn't been shot up.

I kind of think they originally had planned to have environmental hazards in Lonesome Road but scrapped them after people hated the hazards in Dead Money so much. Or possibly due to deadlines.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I would have loved Lonesome road if it was more desolate. Like the thing that was most dangerous was the environment itself. Marked men should have been much fewer and farther in between, but it would have been awesome if every encounter was like a mini-boss fight. The environment would come alive and be more brutal, like winds that could impede you and if you weren't properly protected with specific armor types (power armor or some other sealed types) could kill you. Radiation storms that blanket an area and cause all sorts of problems, like EMP lightning storms that temporarily short out your armor and weapons (if power armor OR energy weapons, etc.), Acid Rain storms that cause Damage over Time, pure rad storms, wind storms that can fling you around and even kill you cause they whip around so quickly. The ability to lose the game by becoming a marked one yourself, utterly insane and numb from the constant agony. I would have liked it if the DLC were larger in environments as well in the sense that, for example, the highway was bigger, with multiple layers to it you could explore, but dangerous with environmental hazards.

The feel could have been better as well if, because of the devastation, only the marked men had any sort of real equipment except for a few hidden underground locations that were somehow protected from the detritus or buried. The Couriers Mile location could have been more horrifying as well. Really force the player to rely on his own survival skills, etc. and his own preparedness. Have interactions with Ulysses be similar, but maybe make it more that he is becoming affected by the divide itself in some way, and with each conversation a bit of his madness seeps through. He's not beyond saving, morally or physically, but your actions here should have major consequences in the game beyond the Nuke ability. Give ED-E in the Mojave that personality of the clone in Lonesome Road afterwards, or if you choose to save him and just redirect nukes, have there some sort of ramifications in the final battle. I dunno. Something though beyond your rep with different factions.
engine limitations
dead money already ran like shit

Dodo1610

Arcane
Strange I thought Old World Blues is more popular, since it's the one with the most content.

Dead Money tells one of the best stories in the Fallout universe, has great atmosphere and a song I cannot forget

But it suffers from the bad framerate and the gameplay isn't as fun as it could be.

cruelio

Augur
I can't tell if I hate Old World Blues or Lonesome Road more. Old World Blues is totally unoriginal "LOL SCIENCE!!" crap, to the point that they got fucking James Urbaniak, voice of Dr. Venture from the Venture Brothers, to voice an inferior rip off of that character. Also, if you were a noob and didn't select Logan's Loophole, you got to be subjected to the shittiest hp/armor bloat enemies in the whole game thanks to Obsidian's wonderful level scaling, where even high damage / penetration custom ammo for guns character requires you to unload half your ammo into every copy paste robo scorpion.

But Lonesome Road. What a fucking piece of shit. First of all, fuck you Chris Avellone, your dogshit backstory for my character not only overrode my player agency (sorry, my courier has 10 int, he didn't accidentally nuke anything), but was completely stupid to add insult to injury. And Ulysses may be one of the worst antagonists from any Obsidian game, including whoever the antagonist for NWN2 was that I can't even remember because that game was so bad. I don't know, or care, about anything you're talking about, so God, shut the hell up for five minutes. Go back to Planescape: Torment where your word diarrhea and high school philosophizing would fit right in. Truly the worst of Avellone and emblematic for why he's a bad video game writer and bad writer in general.

Dead Money was the best for me personally, but I can understand why people that like open world exploration would pick Honest Hearts over it.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
The only comment I've seen in terms of sales was Josh Sawyer saying the DLCs sold the way DLCs always do, ie less the later they were released. So I don't know if more people have played Old World Blues, but of the people who've played all the DLC OWB seems to be the most well-received.

Re James Urbaniak: his character, Dr 0, was originally going to be a parody of a newscaster (remnants of this remain in his dialogue, eg "Breaking news, it wasn't me") but when Chris Avellone found out Urbaniak would be doing the voice he made him into a more Venture-esque character. If I recall correctly, Ulysses's writing was partially influenced by knowing who his actor would be too

Developer
Vulpes Inculta was apparently going to be a companion but that was cut. It always felt odd that there was no companion that was pro-Legion and i think it would have been great if he was one in the final release. Plus he could have had some dialogue giving more insight into the Legion.

Cut = He was not, it was never part of the design nor even considered.

Taking into account his proximity to Goodsprings alone, I definitely felt it was a missed opportunity.

iirc Lonesome Road ED-E is what the real ED-E would be like if his hardware hadn't been shot up.

I kind of think they originally had planned to have environmental hazards in Lonesome Road but scrapped them after people hated the hazards in Dead Money so much. Or possibly due to deadlines.

No extra environmental hazards had been planned for LR.

Okagron

Prophet

Taking into account his proximity to Goodsprings alone, I definitely felt it was a missed opportunity.
Yeah, i definitely agree that it was a big missed opportunity, specially for players that side with the Legion. Having two companions that are aligned with the NCR but none for the Legion felt odd to me, specially during my Legion playthrough.

2house2fly

Magister
I'm not sure how aligned any companion really is with the NCR. Cass prefers them to the Legion but acknowledges they're full of problems, and Boone doesn't seem to have much fondness for the army which ordered him to kill children. A companion who was loyal to the Legion like Vulpes would have been the odd one out

Quillon

Arcane
A companion who was loyal to the Legion like Vulpes would have been the odd one out

Nah, at least he wouldn't be shooting NCR soldiers on sight if he was a companion. He might even have had hidden his identity from other companions(and from the player = legion spy!) to not be extremely incompatible :P ...could've been interesting.

Okagron

Prophet
Cass and Boone are still considered NCR companions because a lot of their disposition towards you is based on your standing with the NCR.

Lurker47

Savant
Avellone is a great argument in favour of Death Of The Author- it seems I get very different things from his stories than what he puts in(not more, the man clearly puts a lot of work and passion in, just different).
I think the "reeeeee i want shit nuked again" attitude displayed in Lonesome Road is the most bizarre though because the scenarios in New Vegas felt the most Avellone out of the entire series (aka wordy)

Yeah, i definitely agree that it was a big missed opportunity, specially for players that side with the Legion. Having two companions that are aligned with the NCR but none for the Legion felt odd to me, specially during my Legion playthrough.
I mean, Raul is the closest thing to that, I guess.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not sure how aligned any companion really is with the NCR. Cass prefers them to the Legion but acknowledges they're full of problems, and Boone doesn't seem to have much fondness for the army which ordered him to kill children. A companion who was loyal to the Legion like Vulpes would have been the odd one out
They're both rebels within their factions to an extent (just like Veronica is in the Brotherhood). But both leave you if you turn on the NCR, because even though they want change within their faction, they're still loyal to the Republic in the end.

Vulpes would have been a cool companion, but the obvious one is obviously the cut Ulysses, who just like the forementioned followers would be a rebel within his faction but would nonetheless leave your company if you turned against the Legion.

2house2fly

Magister
I think I remember reading the original idea of Ulysses was that he'd be Legion-aligned initially but come to support whichever faction the player went for. There's a version of this in Lonesome Road where you can pretty much convince him that as the mighty Courier, whichever faction you choose is the correct one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom