Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Vatnik Wumao
CK3 should feel more historical compared to CK2. This was a goal.

:incline:

How can it be more historical if they want to go even more in the 'emergent gameplay' that player defines actions and not the developers..... it will be even less historical.
Historical in terms of setting, not narrative. Just like in an alternative history novel or film, you encourage the viewer's suspension of disbelief by understanding the particularities of the era you're dealing with and deriving the alternative scenario from what did happen historically and why.

In other words, historicity not in terms of railroading the player by what happened historically, but presenting a sandbox model of an epoch in which what did happen historically can be perceived as one scenario of the many which could've unfolded in game.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Tbh the company went to shit when they abandoned their 2D Europa engine, which was like in 2007. I still played EU3, Vicky 2 and HoI3 but the DLC kikery and how the games in many ways were worse than their precursors really put me off any future releases. Seems like I dodged a bullet there. These days if I want to play a Paradox GSG I just boot up Victoria, EU2 or Hearts of Iron 2, because that was their peak. The original Crusader Kings wasn't bad either.

I don't see how anyone can be even modestly excited by the prospect of another CK2 that will piecemeal features into a bazillion DLCs and likely have even worse mechanics than those of the previous game, Deus Vult being in the game or not.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
idk men.

CK2 is one of my favorite games ever released, I slurped every DLC even day 1 whenever one was released, but I have mixed feelings about CK3. I feel like it will most likely underdeliver even if developers have best intentions.

Moreover, CK2 was basically just finished and allows for plenty of up-to-date fun.

You know what feels great but out-of-date and unfinished? Victoria 2. The game half of Paradox community believes deserves a successor.

Why, oh, why, for duck's sake.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, I don't get this. CK2 is still fresh and playable. When Vic2 is shitty and I never managed to "enter" it (even though I played Vic1 t to death). I think I've got a problem with their 2nd gen engine. They traded the artistry of the old one for an ugly 3d. I would love to see Vicky in the newest engine, or a newer one that meshes 3d with an stylized board from old one.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I slurped every DLC even day 1 whenever one was released
You're a part of the problem lah. Their new business model encourages them to release unfinished games and then add features as DLC, when that DLC doesn't sell well enough they simply drop the game. Like what happened with Victoria 2.

Their older games only had one paid patch each max and they felt much more finished on release. EU2 was so good that it didn't even need a paid patch at all.

Vatnik Wumao
You're a part of the problem lah. Their new business model encourages them to release unfinished games and then add features as DLC, when that DLC doesn't sell well enough they simply drop the game. Like what happened with Victoria 2.

Their older games only had one paid patch each max and they felt much more finished on release. EU2 was so good that it didn't even need a paid patch at all.
I think Paradox defines its business plan more along the lines of a loyal core which gobbles up every DLC and those sane people who buy the base game and just pirate the DLC since it works on Steam anyhow.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

I think Paradox defines its business plan more along the lines of a loyal core which gobbles up every DLC and those sane people who buy the base game and just pirate the DLC since it works on Steam anyhow.

De-Layed-Content leads to piracy. Seems about right.

CKII imperial collection is a paltry $260 right now (at 17% off) on Steam. What a steal.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, I don't get this. CK2 is still fresh and playable. When Vic2 is shitty and I never managed to "enter" it (even though I played Vic1 t to death). I think I've got a problem with their 2nd gen engine. They traded the artistry of the old one for an ugly 3d. I would love to see Vicky in the newest engine, or a newer one that meshes 3d with an stylized board from old one.
Did you completely miss the aborted look of CKIII which can only be defined as terrorism?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
At that time naval combat was galley banging each other. Tribes banged galleys, kingdoms banged galleys, empires banged galleys. Humanity banged galleys fo, like, thousand years with no change.

Nelka

Educated
Completely unnecessary continuation. Maybe it will catch up with CK2 in ten years or so. Or will end up completely broken just like Imperial: Romefund.

At that time naval combat was galley banging each other. Tribes banged galleys, kingdoms banged galleys, empires banged galleys. Humanity banged galleys fo, like, thousand years with no change.

True that, but there are other things, like Greek Fire, and Boarding.

I think that could be how it works: Three Phases: Ranged Fighting, Boarding, Movement.

Boarding could lead to ground troops fighting each other... on the sea. Like how it was done back when.

Honestly, I think the real importance of naval combat here would be to despict certain situations that do not work without it.

A good example are the many sieges of Constantinople.

Constantinople was nearly unbreakable because it was one of the best fortified spots in the world:
- Mighty walls
- Large coast
- Coast that goes to both the Black Sea and the Med
- Isthmus allows for chains and things like that

The reason it took until the 15th century for it to fall, is because every time someone tried it, they failed to starve the City, because they failed to take out the Roman naval superiority and control the seas. Thus allowing the Romans to eat Ukranian grain while their enemies starve trying to siege a city far from their core zones. Not to mention, receive reinforcements from the sea.

The Ottomans did in the 15th century, but that was because they had over x10 the troops, a large fleet, and cannons, fighting against a weakened vestigial empire.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I think that could be how it works: Three Phases: Ranged Fighting, Boarding, Movement.

Boarding could lead to ground troops fighting each other... on the sea. Like how it was done back when.

Honestly, I think the real importance of naval combat here would be to despict certain situations that do not work without it.

Constantinople was nearly unbreakable because it was one of the best fortified spots in the world:
- Mighty walls
- Large coast

The reason it took until the 15th century for it to fall, is because every time someone tried it, they failed to starve the City, because they failed to take out the Roman naval superiority and control the seas. Thus allowing the Romans to eat Ukranian grain while their enemies starve trying to siege a city far from their core zones. Not to mention, receive reinforcements from the sea.

The Ottomans did in the 15th century, but that was because they had over x10 the troops, a large fleet, and cannons, fighting against a weakened vestigial empire.
:deathclaw:
Ahh Constantinople fell in 1204 by the hand degenerate crusaders! Also it almost fell a few time by our own hand,but sadly the griffons had pretty high intrigue stats and managed to off the Khan/Tzar at the time :).

Vatnik Wumao
Ahh Constantinople fell in 1204 by the hand degenerate crusaders! Also it almost fell a few time by our own hand,but sadly the griffons had pretty high intrigue stats and managed to off the Khan/Tzar at the time :).
Eh, Veliko T1rnovo was the emerging Third Rome of the time. Shame that the Asenids didn't manage to subdue the decadent Greeks.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Eh, Veliko T1rnovo was the emerging Third Rome of the time. Shame that the Asenids didn't manage to subdue the decadent Greeks.
I was thinking more of Khan Kurm razing the city and making himself a second skull goblet. :lol::lol::lol: Those fuck did know how to assassinate people.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
I was thinking more of a Khan Kurm razing the city and making himself a second skull goblet. :lol::lol::lol: Those fuck did know how to assassinate people.
Prab1lgari were based as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was thinking more of a Khan Kurm razing the city and making himself a second skull goblet. :lol::lol::lol: Those fuck did know how to assassinate people.
Prab1lgari were based as well.

Yeah klan Dulo were the best Bulgars. I am their fan.

hJaE3vj.png

- Mighty walls
- Large coast

:deathclaw:

1204 wans't a straight siege, tho, like the Persian siege, the two arab sieges and the final turkish siege.

Don't forget Stephen Dousan, he was this close to getting a shot at becoming Emperor.

Vatnik Wumao
Stephen Dousan
Who the hell spells his name like that? It's Stefan Dushan, Frenchman.

I'm Brazilian. My ancestors ate frenchmen for breakfast.

Also, I only remembered his name phonetically, and wrote it in whatever gay way English uses. I mean, its 2019, who the hell thing ph is necessary?
Forgive me for calling you a Fr*nchman, my Lusitanian friend.

What you wrote made me think of a French pronunciation with /s/ instead of /sh/ (which is the proper transliteration from Serbo-Croatian to English anyhow).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
All barbarians and tribals never actually tried to siege Constantinople, they were content with pillaging rich outskirts. Rus and Viking expeditions were the same - sail to Constantinople, if city refuses to pay tribute, pillage everything around. That was more than enough for tribals to be happy with the haul.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Stephen Dousan
Who the hell spells his name like that? It's Stefan Dushan, Frenchman.
Стефан Душан, is a Serbian king that tried taking Constantinople but got slapped by 3000-4000 kebab. He is know for conquering/uniting big part of the western Balkans and preparing a crusade against the kebab but gotten himself poisoned by the kebab. It is very different from the actual tries of say Khan Krum,he raised 50,000 force and prepared a a lot of siege towers. His intention was to storm the walls and take it by brute force,not to starve them out. There is a good chance that he would have succeeded because they were weakened at that time and he was very accomplished warrior and commander,but sadly he got poisoned.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom