Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

barghwata

Savant
So, I should play Gothic 3 with a mage/ranger and not melee?

Go with ranger.

Also here's a list of great mods you should play the game with, they improve everything, from the graphics to adding new quests and even some C&C to the game, i strongly recommend that you look into this if you're gonna play the game:

passerby

Arcane
So, I should play Gothic 3 with a mage/ranger and not melee?

Go with ranger.

Also here's a list of great mods you should play the game with, they improve everything, from the graphics to adding new quests and even some C&C to the game, i strongly recommend that you look into this if you're gonna play the game:

Install community patch, but don't use alternative balancing and don't use improved ai especially you want to play melee. Making it harder and slower would make sense if the combat was any fun.
Go with mage and a bit of ranger, use spells on difficult encounters and archery for trash mobs, or from safe spots. Once you get mana regen, you can nuke everything in sight and abandon archery.

Don't install quest pack, there is more then enough fetch quests already.

It's a nice hiking sim in a cool setting. Characters are medicore and combat is shit, but if you concentrate on magic, you'll become a god 30% into the game and bypass it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Becoming very repetitive. The small selection of available gear is pretty boring. Same few enemy types everywhere, sometimes they get a new color if it's in a different zone.
There's not really much of a story at all and the the world feels pretty empty outside of camps/towns.
Enjoyed the Risen games much more than this.

Codex Year of the Donut
Restarted with Alternate Balance off, using quest pack + content mod, enjoying it a lot more tbh.
Turn up the Entity.ROI in the ge3.ini to increase the radius the world simulates at(enemies appear, NPCs act, etc.,) Game feels like it was intended to be played with a super high setting but it makes the game lag pretty bad. 8000 is a decent compromise(4000 is default)

thesecret1

Arcane
Why the hell did nobody pick up on Gothic 2 and made a worthy sequel? A small, but well-designed map dense with content, with quests and locations tying into it seamlessly. I love how you can take hours to safely navigate somewhere in the beginning, shitting your pants every time you hear an orc or a shadowbeast grunt nearby, only to then slay those things later on and realise just how small and filled with shortcuts the map actually is, made seem much larger just by cleverly placed enemies. Today, you get vast procedurally generated plains filled with fuck all, with no thought given to enemy placement. You're in the starting region? Then everything will be weak. Next region it'll be slower and so on - such bullshit. If you strayed off the road in gothic 2, you'd meet a shadowbeast or a troll and get flattened.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I’ve read on here it sucks ass, however, will I still like it, if I like the first two games?
Play them through in order. By the time you reach Gothic 3 you won't even last an hour it's that bad of a game and you'll uninstall it, but you will thank us later. Gothic 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

EDIT: Playing Gothic 3 after will also just make you appreciate how good the first two games were on another level ;)

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why the hell did nobody pick up on Gothic 2 and made a worthy sequel? A small, but well-designed map dense with content, with quests and locations tying into it seamlessly. I love how you can take hours to safely navigate somewhere in the beginning, shitting your pants every time you hear an orc or a shadowbeast grunt nearby, only to then slay those things later on and realise just how small and filled with shortcuts the map actually is, made seem much larger just by cleverly placed enemies. Today, you get vast procedurally generated plains filled with fuck all, with no thought given to enemy placement. You're in the starting region? Then everything will be weak. Next region it'll be slower and so on - such bullshit. If you strayed off the road in gothic 2, you'd meet a shadowbeast or a troll and get flattened.
I mean... Risen 1 sort of did that.

thesecret1

Arcane
Risen 1 has far less content and detail. It's good, but not as good as Gothic 2, and it is by PB. I'm wondering more about why other studios didn't pick this up, why it's not a frequently seen approach to designing open world RPGs

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Risen 1 had his problems. A lot of boring fetch quests, projectile weapons are insanely slow compared to G3, there are much less spell effects and greature variety, and the final boss looks more like an platforming boss...

Terenty

Liturgist
Gothic 3 is a decent game. I have fond memories of playing it. The music, graphics and atmosphere are great imho. Three different zones added to the experience too

Codex Year of the Donut
I'd really recommend anyone playing this to turn alternative balance off. Barely being able to suck at one thing kills the fun because the combat isn't that great to begin with.

Tigranes

Arcane
Risen 1 has far less content and detail. It's good, but not as good as Gothic 2, and it is by PB. I'm wondering more about why other studios didn't pick this up, why it's not a frequently seen approach to designing open world RPGs

Because making Gothics is hard work, meanwhile this was when oblibion sold 8 billion copies not doing any of that

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
One thing that i really hate is. Why newer games offers LESS FEATURES than previous ones? Gothic 3 offering less enemy variety and depth than G2, Arcania being an completely shit, risen 1 offering an much smaller world than G3, worse archery, Risen 2 offering only voodoo magic and worse melee combat than G1/2, Risen 3 offering the worst melee combat of the series, much less spells and worse ranged combat and ultra linear story<...> I din't played Elex yet, but Elex have more weapon variety and spells than previous games?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's huge and very shallow. But I had fun exploiting the reach of weapons. I can't remember any other game where reach was nearly as important.

The orcish halberd is simply nuts! (once you have enough Strength to wield it, which is not so easy).

Stakhanov

Augur
I seem to remember trying to hit enemies in melee without the Community Patch and laughing out loud when my weapons were so bugged they couldn't land blows on any enemy. It's a shame it was so rough, because some elements of PB world design and atmosphere shone through at times.
IgnorantDarlingAfricanclawedfrog-max-1mb.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom