Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Gothic 3.

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by smaug, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    You shouldn't play it at all.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. barghwata Scholar

barghwata
    Go with ranger.

Also here's a list of great mods you should play the game with, they improve everything, from the graphics to adding new quests and even some C&C to the game, i strongly recommend that you look into this if you're gonna play the game:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    The best thing about gothic is how based the devs are. Fighting is for men! Women are either slaves or house wifes!

:incline:

• Funny x 6
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    play gothic 1 & 2 instead

• Agree x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Biggest issue so far is that it runs like complete ass and has extremely long loading times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. passerby Savant

passerby
    Install community patch, but don't use alternative balancing and don't use improved ai especially you want to play melee. Making it harder and slower would make sense if the combat was any fun.
    Go with mage and a bit of ranger, use spells on difficult encounters and archery for trash mobs, or from safe spots. Once you get mana regen, you can nuke everything in sight and abandon archery.

Don't install quest pack, there is more then enough fetch quests already.

It's a nice hiking sim in a cool setting. Characters are medicore and combat is shit, but if you concentrate on magic, you'll become a god 30% into the game and bypass it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Becoming very repetitive. The small selection of available gear is pretty boring. Same few enemy types everywhere, sometimes they get a new color if it's in a different zone.
    There's not really much of a story at all and the the world feels pretty empty outside of camps/towns.
    Enjoyed the Risen games much more than this.

^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Restarted with Alternate Balance off, using quest pack + content mod, enjoying it a lot more tbh.
    Turn up the Entity.ROI in the ge3.ini to increase the radius the world simulates at(enemies appear, NPCs act, etc.,) Game feels like it was intended to be played with a super high setting but it makes the game lag pretty bad. 8000 is a decent compromise(4000 is default)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    It's a Piranha Bytes game.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. thesecret1 Scholar

thesecret1
    Why the hell did nobody pick up on Gothic 2 and made a worthy sequel? A small, but well-designed map dense with content, with quests and locations tying into it seamlessly. I love how you can take hours to safely navigate somewhere in the beginning, shitting your pants every time you hear an orc or a shadowbeast grunt nearby, only to then slay those things later on and realise just how small and filled with shortcuts the map actually is, made seem much larger just by cleverly placed enemies. Today, you get vast procedurally generated plains filled with fuck all, with no thought given to enemy placement. You're in the starting region? Then everything will be weak. Next region it'll be slower and so on - such bullshit. If you strayed off the road in gothic 2, you'd meet a shadowbeast or a troll and get flattened.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    Play them through in order. By the time you reach Gothic 3 you won't even last an hour it's that bad of a game and you'll uninstall it, but you will thank us later. Gothic 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

EDIT: Playing Gothic 3 after will also just make you appreciate how good the first two games were on another level ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I mean... Risen 1 sort of did that.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lord_Potato Prophet

Lord_Potato
    Yeah, but Risen copied too much.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. S0rcererV1ct0r Liturgist

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Yes, but in G3 world, there are more dragons than woman....

And why if i side with orcs, i can't buy slaves?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. thesecret1 Scholar

thesecret1
    Risen 1 has far less content and detail. It's good, but not as good as Gothic 2, and it is by PB. I'm wondering more about why other studios didn't pick this up, why it's not a frequently seen approach to designing open world RPGs

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. S0rcererV1ct0r Liturgist

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Risen 1 had his problems. A lot of boring fetch quests, projectile weapons are insanely slow compared to G3, there are much less spell effects and greature variety, and the final boss looks more like an platforming boss...

^ Top  
  17. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    very cool

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. S0rcererV1ct0r Liturgist

S0rcererV1ct0r
    Divine Divinity was great. DOS1/2, no.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    Gothic 3 is a decent game. I have fond memories of playing it. The music, graphics and atmosphere are great imho. Three different zones added to the experience too

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I'd really recommend anyone playing this to turn alternative balance off. Barely being able to suck at one thing kills the fun because the combat isn't that great to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Because making Gothics is hard work, meanwhile this was when oblibion sold 8 billion copies not doing any of that

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. S0rcererV1ct0r Liturgist

S0rcererV1ct0r
    One thing that i really hate is. Why newer games offers LESS FEATURES than previous ones? Gothic 3 offering less enemy variety and depth than G2, Arcania being an completely shit, risen 1 offering an much smaller world than G3, worse archery, Risen 2 offering only voodoo magic and worse melee combat than G1/2, Risen 3 offering the worst melee combat of the series, much less spells and worse ranged combat and ultra linear story<...> I din't played Elex yet, but Elex have more weapon variety and spells than previous games?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's huge and very shallow. But I had fun exploiting the reach of weapons. I can't remember any other game where reach was nearly as important.

The orcish halberd is simply nuts! (once you have enough Strength to wield it, which is not so easy).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Stakhanov Augur

Stakhanov
    I seem to remember trying to hit enemies in melee without the Community Patch and laughing out loud when my weapons were so bugged they couldn't land blows on any enemy. It's a shame it was so rough, because some elements of PB world design and atmosphere shone through at times.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top