Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline How to properly enjoy an RPG

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
- I save-scumm in a way - after every finished fight i hit that quicksave button like it owes me money, but other than that not really that often and I NEVER reload after text choices, i always stick with text choices no matter what. Also I've played every rpg ever with only one (quick)save file, always! that way choices really matter - made a bad choice? well man up and git gud or eat shit.
I only play games that have quicksave.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Necro, but I just realized how important is to play *your* build. It doesn't have to be the most perfect one, or the most popular, just unique. With its own strengths and weaknesses. Approach building spontaneously and be yourself. It goes beyond the RP vs. Munchkinism debate and incorporates a little of both, but with a personal seal.

Cat Dude

Savant
I recommend buying a good graphics card to derive maximum enjoyment from graphically intense rpgs like Disco Elysium, ATOM and probably Das Geisterturm.

You leave out Kingmaker. It is the most graphically intensed rpg I have ever played. It made rx580 obsolete.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I generally obey similar rules for myself, but it can happen that if you unknowingly made gimped choices, or wasted choices that could have been more min-maxed, the combat can get tedious, and that's not fun. I think all CRPGs should give you one free respec, just to tune your first character that you're bound to be deeply immersed in (because it's your first), once you know the system better.

Deleted Member 22431

This is the modern guide to cRPG enjoyment

Blame the developer

If your build failed, it is the developers' fault.

Play the way you want
If you can't roleplay a silver tongue warrior using a double sword, the game is wrong.

Use cheat codes
If you have no SPs, use a cheat code because the developer can't tell you that you are not good enough. No one can.

Read online before you can make a build
Trial and error is for suckers. You are not making me reload this thing to try different things. I don't make mistakes.

Do everything in one playthrough
It's your god-given right, as it is so eloquently shown by 99% of the cRPGs out there. Who this guy think he is to prevent me from doing all their quests. The balls on him from defying my rights.

Negative reviews are key
If everything mentioned above fails, ask for a refund and leave a stinking negative review on steam to hurt this fucker. It is only fair that the developer needs to pay for his failings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Thinking about it, the best way to enjoy most cRPG (as in all the crap out there) is not to play them but instead read about all the butt-hurt they generate among Codexers.

I know i had fun reading about BT IV and Deadwater, although i played the latter a little (too much).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you can't roleplay a silver tongue warrior using a double sword, the game is wrong.
:hmmm:
Ahh you could roleplay that shit in every D&D,you just have to put a few points in CHA and use a skillpoints to pump the diplomacy/persuasion skill. That doesn't stop you from having an 18 str dude with some decent con.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lots of librul cuck'tards ITT. You really come off as a pack of ponces sometimes. It must be all that Disco and Poncefinder: Cuckmaker you've been playing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lots of librul cuck'tards ITT. You really come off as a pack of ponces sometimes. It must be all that Disco and Poncefinder: Cuckmaker you've been playing.
LoL bitch,i like both games and am still a bit right of hitler :). It is amusing that it comes from a wench of which her favourite game is about making a team of westerners that go and dethrone an evul dictator lol :). You can't get more libtard than that lol.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Detailed step by step instructions for enjoying a modern CRPG:

1. Pre-order the game (with the cloth map) - just don't tell anyone;
2. Read the manual (and/or D&D/TDE/etc. gamebooks) to identify a only slightly non-optimal party so that you won't accuse yourself of munchkinism*;
3. Plan out your initial character/s on paper, ideally in pencil first, then onto some old PnP character creation sheet you had lying around;
4. Debate your planned character / party in multiple online discussion forum;
5. Think about installing the game;
6. Replan your character/s;
7. Install game and enter character creation;
9. Worry that there is not a good portrait for (one of) the character/s;
10. Do a search of the internet looking for a good portrait that matches the style of the other portraits;
11. Give up and decide to just use a suboptimal portrait/s in the game and/or change your party to suit portraits;
12. Create your characters and start the game;
13. Save the character-file; and
14. Uninstall the game to get back to being less than 20% of the hard drive space full.

*Okay so only old folk still have physical manuals anymore, but you should print off key tables anyway so you can sit/fall asleep in your armchair whilst doing the planning exercises.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok too many complex explanations and shit,here are my instructions!

1 pirate the shit and instal it
2 have fun getting drunk while playing it and being melancholic about the good old games of once
3 have fun edging off your hangover while discussing the game on the codex

Deleted Member 22431

fantadomat said:
Hey guys,

I’m a complete asshole imbecile absolute failure of human being wasting precious resources and oxygen. I can't do anything in a proper manner and I'm proud of it, ain’t that great?

No, not really.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How to enjoy RPGs:
1. Look up the Mobygames and Wikipedia pages for the RPG you want to enjoy
2. Bitch about it on the codex without ever having played it

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't seek tips

Use your wit and intelligence to overcome obstacles.

Don't metagame

Obsessing over perfect builds can ruin the fun. Flawed builds are cool. However it turns out makes it special. Picked the wrong feat by accident or made a bad call? Don't worry, it might prove useful after all.

Don't save-scum

Obvioiusly, ruins muh immersion. Stick with what you get.

Increase difficulty

The greater the challenge, the more rewarding gameplay will be.

Be spontaneous, not completionist

Don't try to visit every location. Don't try to complete every quest. Leave something for other play-through. I'm not advocating role-playing strictly speaking. But tend to do stuff which makes sense. Clearing five dungeons in a row doesn't.

Don't binge on dialogue options (by eXalted)

Don't exhaust all conversation options if you don't find them interesting. And yes, there could be a quest hidden there, who cares?

Keep cycling savegame slots

Try to save less often. Certainly don't spam the quicksave button. Continuity of experience is key to immersion.

Live with your consequences.

Failed a skill roll? Attacked someone by accident? Jammed a chest? Try this experiment and don't reload. That liberates you from OCD and made my runs much more memorable and distinctive e.g. that time when I was caught stealing, that time when I drank the wrong potion etc.

Role playing

Obviously a subject which can be widely interpreted however just making consistent dialogue choices works.

Play it like it was meant to be played (by Wayward Son)

Sure, you COULD look up that dungeon map or use screenshots to take notes, but the game was built around the lack of easily accessible internet and/or screenshots, so this can ruin the gameplay. Ultimas are a good example of this, they were built around you taking good, concise but accurate notes or you were up Shit Creek without a paddle.

Spontaneity is king

This is where all the fun and good gaming memories stem from.

Do you have any suggestions? I wish more games would encourage such behavior.

This was all sound advice before the pandemic / end of the world began.
:troll:

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Good tips

Don't seek tips

Be spontaneous, not completionist

Don't try to visit every location. Don't try to complete every quest. Leave something for other play-through. I'm not advocating role-playing strictly speaking. But tend to do stuff which makes sense. Clearing five dungeons in a row doesn't.

Don't binge on dialogue options (by eXalted)

Don't exhaust all conversation options if you don't find them interesting. And yes, there could be a quest hidden there, who cares?

Man those two above really need to take to heart.

Way too many RPGS I`ve reached some big city with tons of text (Atom RPG most recent) that feel like work to read.

Same with non-liner games/ environments that are difficult to tell if you have explored everything.

My OCD gets overwhelmed that I have to go and talk to all these people, read EVERY SINGLE dialogue/ explore everything and I just quit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom