Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline How to properly enjoy an RPG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by luj1, Aug 1, 2017.

1. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Don't read the Codex. If you do you will never be able to enjoy an RPG ever again.

• Agree x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Fake news. I enjoy RPGs more now that I read the Codex.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 4
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Alma Elma Literate

Alma Elma
    IMO the best way to enjoy an RPG is to play it however you want. The best types of RPG's are the ones that offer up different experiences depending on how you play, with Divinity: Original Sin being a fairly good example of that I feel, even if the main story in the game doesn't change.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Am I really seeing this?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    In ungodly huge, beautiful open worlds, you must fight fight FIGHT your autism and/or debilitating OCD mental illness and avoid doing every single little side quest that comes along and try to stick to the main quest (if it's interesting enough... with some games you want to avoid the main quest, and stick to the side missions... adapt as necessary) and perhaps do only a few or just enough of those side quests to help level up. Skyrim was the single most important learning experience for me on how to properly play cRPGs. I did everything wrong and that experience stuck with me though I ended up repeating that experience with Zelda: BotW. I have Neanderthal blood.

• decline decline x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cat Dude Learned

Cat Dude
    Simple. You have to love reading a lot.

• incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    I think if you play like it says in the OP, the game will buttfuck you late game. In fact I just quit TOEEs supposed glorious CO8 mod because it required a high level diplomacy skill (which I actually had but.. nm.. long story). In a game that lets you choose so many things however you please... it REQUIRED something or you can't keep playing. Admittedly that is just a mod not designed by professionals, but a lot of games are designed the same way. I have been burned too many times. You play all casual and you come up against a quest that is key to the game, and it requires some amulet from some crate in the corner of a dungeon you visited 50 hours ago. If you can go back and get it, that's at least not too bad... still sucks. But often the game is just over if you didn't find the item at the time. Modern games are a bit smarter with their design but they also generally suck, so playing old RPGs is kind of essential and yet this is the sort of bullshit you have to deal with.

You HAVE to search every barrel, crate, rock in the game. Every corner of every dungeon, because once you leave, that dungeon may be gone forever. You have to spam every dialogue option because there's a chance only one of them is the right one. And good luck beating a game like Blackguards if you just casually pick whatever seems like a cool idea. You power game or you get you punished to death. And in TOEE when RNG is so massive, a bad turn is 3 of your party die, and reload and the exact same choices mean you kick ass... savescumming is the only option. You could just eat the character deaths but you would end up level 7 at the end game when you need to be level 10 to even stand a chance. Basically I think OPs list is only reasonable for about 1% of RPGs.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Üstad Learned

Üstad
    Show Spoiler

You can automatically do half of those by disconnecting from internet. Just like my brother did around 2004. Except internet was a luxury for us then, we couldnt afford it. :negative::negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    IMO playing only one RPG at a time, and surrounding yourself with as much related-media works wonders. The key to enjoying a good RPG is (muh) immurxion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    I love that when playing RPGs I'm always doing the exact opposites of at least 75% of the items in OP's list.

• decline decline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Reading a walkthrough, save-scumming, playing on the lowest difficulty, and asking every generic NPC about the history of his colostomy bag FTW.

• decline decline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    More like using guides for anything that has builds that allow you to fuck up and have a losing character / party mid-game, never going over Normal / Medium, exhausting every dialogue option just because I have to listen to the content, and quicksaving every time I'm about to pickpocket someone.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The key to enjoyment is not to have fun while playing, first and foremost.

• Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    The problem comes with twist late game shit like the Deep Caverns.

^ Top  
  15. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Don't pick the wrong weapon focus feat by accident though. If you find a different weapon you like better you will regret that shit FOREVER.

^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Agree with this one a lot. It's always baffling to me when people on here complain that their playthrough was ruined because they followed a min-max path exactly to become a god ASAP, then "it was too easy and boring." Like, motherfucker you did that to yourself. That's not how you're supposed to do this shit, so of course they never balanced for that and of course loot is boring when you b-line for the best shit you read about on a Wiki.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    I don't trust designers. Give me back my control.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    Watch the playthrough on youtube while doing something more interesting.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    Avoid every single side quest. Life is short. The backlog is huge.

Also you can comfortably bet that all side quests are shit.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. RickOmbo Learned

RickOmbo
    Don't play Planescape, it will ruin rpgs for you

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    First we should define what an RPG even is...

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    I do hold the answer to this question...

^ Top  
  23. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    Why don't you make a dedicated post and tell us ALL about it?

^ Top  
  24. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    What kind of people "complain" about that? Making games easy and boring (as opposed to frustrating and boring) is the entire point :obviously: Well, that and the feeling that you are more competent than the hack who had designed it.

Which makes it twice as enjoyable.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.