Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You need Win10 for directX 12 right?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Graphic сукас, graphics were least of game's problems. Game was promised during first Kickstarter to be Fallout 1/2 - Arcanum in space. What we got after years of delays and another Kickstarter campaign is Bioshock: economy class, cause they didn't have money to go full blown, first person pew pew, boom-bang. This game is the worst case of could've been I've seen in years!

Codex Year of the Donut
Graphic сукас, graphics were least of game's problems. Game was promised during first Kickstarter to be Fallout 1/2 - Arcanum in space. What we got after years of delays and another Kickstarter campaign is Bioshock: economy class, cause they didn't have money to go full blown, first person pew pew, boom-bang. This game is the worst case of could've been I've seen in years!
One of the biggest problems with the game is how shit it runs.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
One of the biggest problems with the game is how shit it runs.
That's the second biggest problem. Problemo numero uno is that it's shit RPG with good story even when it runs at 69 FPS and in 4K. In 4K and at 60FPS its RPG shittiness would be just more obvious and more HD. This game has next to nothing to do with what was promised and advertised and even devs admit that by saying that development took sudden and drastic turn both in terms of art & gameplay few years ago. Reason? Chasing more action feeling. Result? Chasing 100 ruble bill carried by the wind down the street, cause it's your last one...

Of course chronologically you should first fix any technical issues before tackling any faulty system. It's just that I have zero hope that they'll change anything systems wise cause they don't believe there's anything wrong with them. And that's fine, just not my bottle of space vodka

Jinn

Arcane
I'd take improved/properly fleshed out/functional gameplay mechanics over improved performance for this game any day. It's not going to happen though.

Also, it looks like they are taking one of the few positive aspects of the game (good art direction, atmosphere, and use of color) and fucking that up too. It's taken them this long only to start taking a step backwards. I do not see much of a future for Mono Studio at this point. Maybe in a year and a half they will have actually finished the gameplay part of developing Insomnia, but who's going to be buying their game at that point?

Codex Year of the Donut
Also, it looks like they are taking one of the few positive aspects of the game (good art direction, atmosphere, and use of color) and fucking that up too. It's taken them this long only to start taking a step backwards.
looks pretty much identical just higher quality textures/better lighting:

the gloom & doom on this site gets out of control sometimes
the only scene that looks fundamentally different is the pipe one because they used only baked & ambient lighting before

Jinn

Arcane
I was mainly just going off those few screenshots from the last page that seemed to mainly showcased an amplified use of green and black, which took away from the vibrant use of other colors that made a lot of the environments in Insomnia particularly unique and eye-catching. Watching that video, a lot of the changes aren't particularly bad, you're right about that.

However, the main thing shading my post with a fair amount of negativity is the fact that - again - they are not actually taking tangible steps to make the gameplay itself better, nor are they even acknowledging the glaring problems the gameplay has. I'm more than happy to bring a positive view on things to these forums, and I actually have done so in the past with this game. The thing is whenever I check this thread, I just think back to when I myself was waiting for meaningful changes to be made to this game, and realize I'd still be waiting now if I hadn't just decided to play it through in it's broken state. When that feeling hits me, it's hard to be particularly positive about much concerning Mono Studio or Insomnia in general.

I still very much so want to see this game succeed and for it to be polished up into the release it was meant to be, but I just can't see that happening.

Codex Year of the Donut
However, the main thing shading my post with a fair amount of negativity is the fact that - again - they are not actually taking tangible steps to make the gameplay itself better, nor are they even acknowledging the glaring problems the gameplay has.
I'd rather they actually make the game playable before fixing gameplay problems. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I quit playing when it became a slideshow.

Jinn

Arcane
I'd rather they actually make the game playable before fixing gameplay problems. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I quit playing when it became a slideshow.

Performance was only really bad in a few areas for me. Never enough to get in the way of playing it. Either way, I really don't think this switch to the latest version of UE4 is going to be the holy-grail of improved performance they are making it out to be. I hope it is, but I highly doubt it.

Vityaz

Augur
Any word on whether they'll be adding ceilings and unlock the camera?

Seriously, I gave the game a try multiple times and it feels like I am playing a cripple with a fucked up neck or something.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Hey fantadomat, care explaining why you feel it's retarded for me to think a game released 6 months ago that hasn't shown any signs of improvement won't be fixed (and I'm talking about major gameplay problems here) in the long run?

rusty_shackleford this entire thread is the only citation you need.

Jenkem is there something I can make more clear for you?

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey fantadomat, care explaining why you feel it's retarded for me to think a game released 6 months ago that hasn't shown any signs of improvement won't be fixed (and I'm talking about major gameplay problems here) in the long run?
The game is finished and finishable without many bugs.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The game is finished and finishable without many bugs.
The same can be said for the shit that's shitted. It's done. Complete work of (f)art. Not saying game is shit, but it could've been da shiet, Arcanum in Space. Spacefallout they promised! Experience life in Moscow's communistic building block, lost among the stars...

Cowboy BlyatBlyop, Putin's no 1. RPG
:mca:

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jinn that was the first post I saw because viewing unread didnt go to the previous posts for some reason so I had no idea what you were talking about re: fantadomat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom