Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lilura, Jul 23, 2019.

?

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

This poll will close on Mar 2, 2021 at 1:59 PM.
  1. It's pure SHIT

6.7%
  2. It's pure SHIT. Also, I want you to leave the RPG Codex

18.9%
  3. Not bad

40.0%
  4. It's a p. influential blog, tbh

14.4%
  5. I love it!

20.0%
  1. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What do you think of Anachronox?

^ Top  
  2. No Knights of the Chalice?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2020
    ^ Top  
  3. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    Too recent for Lilura?

^ Top  
  4. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    Hey, Evil Islands looks really good!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    I like Morrowind.

Gothic is shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Chippy Prophet

Chippy
    It occurred to me this evening that I haven't played the proper versions of the IE games in 5 years. I stopped my yearly playthroughs after suffering through SOD, and needed to bleach it from my memory. So with armageddon apparently approaching, it seems a good time to dust off the classics.

:martini:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    I actually surprised myself by agreeing with most of this. But at the same time, I can't roll with the "beheading" term, so I still gave you an edgy rating.
    Show Spoiler
    (also the plural is beheads, or just use "decapitation" - much easier)

Also... Morrowind is more than just mushroom trees and funny music. And Gothic is more than just combat or lock sequences.

I do agree that Fallout: NV signaled to Bethesda the fact that they can fill their world(s) with objects of little meaning/junk and people will be okay with the inescapable loop of scavenging -> ammo/craft weapon/repair weapon -> shoot -> unlock scavenging site, that - ultimately - gave birth to Fallout 76.

Show Spoiler
    And since we're fighting edge with edge... behead anyone that denigrates P:T.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    I think it's shit. Ion Storm's ranking is based on Deus Ex alone. Likewise, if Jagged Alliance 2 was Sir-Tech's only game, and they released nothing else, they would still be the greatest RPG dev of all-time because Jagged Alliance 2 is a work of genius, a masterpiece, and is as close as it gets to perfection in what is, let's be frank, a genre that lacks good coders, designers and system-builders.

I acknowledged its existence in my prime-agenda write-up, but it is not comparable to ToEE in any way shape or form.

If you were to read my recently updated and expanded retrospective (first-ranked on Google), and kept KotC in mind as you did, I'm sure you would agree that KotC cannot stand alongside ToEE without being laughed, booed and egged off-stage. It is D&D-lite.

Tbh, those awaiting KotC 2 are beggars with low-grade expectations. What they should be doing instead is supporting Temple+ and anyone who expresses an interest in doing TCMs for ToEE.

• Brofist x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    I loved KOTC but it is pretty "lite" :( And TOEE is just so damn good, I wish it was more well known. And the engine is good, it should have more stuff made for it. I didn't like co8 :/ It might have been decent if it wasn't so buggy, although I didn't like the big town either. Why have the player waste so much time exploring all that area when 99% of the locations aren't even used :argh:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Neither did I. But without their initial efforts the community may not have grown, and Temple+ may not have existed.

Troika shouldn't have been so faithful to the module. They should have downsized and abstracted Hommlet/Nulb and focused more on polishing the dungeons. As I said in my retrospective, the opening vignettes were also a waste of dev-cycle time.

In other news,

Max Damage and Lord_Potato are butthurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Max Damage Learned

Max Damage
    You're trying way too hard, to be blunt. I like both ToEE and KotC, no idea why you are trying to cook some bad blood between these two. KotC not having the scope of ToEE doesn't make it inferior preference, especially when the latter is still incomplete even when it comes to combat bugs. Considering that KotC was made by one guy, it's pretty fucking awesome. You lashing out at others speaks more about the state of your rectum than the other way round.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    I think he's talking about Co8's Verbobonc.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    You have almost 14,000 posts over 13 years on the 'Dex. Don't tell me RPGs are not important to you.

I just wanted to make it clear that there is a big difference between focused gamers and generalists who play all RPGs without discrimination/discernment.

I like them both, too. But ToEE is far superior. Notice how my opener in the poll thread was balanced? And how a few posters immediately insulted ToEE? I could have put screecaps of both games in there, linked to my retrospective, talked down KotC, but I didn't.

It was a few pro-KotC posters that started the bad blood.

ToEE credits (source: Lilura1):

[​IMG]

That's not an army and the scope of ToEE far exceeds KotC.

You voted for KotC because it was made by one person, because it's an indie game (indie = cool!), and probably out of butthurt against me as well, whereas I voted for the best game.

You made a fool out of yourself and can't change your vote.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. KotC >>>>>>> ToEE

But ToEE has good graphics and art, while KotC doesn't. So it must be because of that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2020
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Damn, we almost had a perfect match, but you botched it at the finish like. Because Gothic is a masterpiece and Bloodline is also fantastic, not Troika's worst.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    ToEE has Gygax + Greyhawk + best ruleset employment + best D&D combat system + best crafting + best aesthetics + most extensible D&D engine (Temple+).

It also has the best combat encounter design. Now, a lot of people will disagree but that's because they can't build combat units or compose parties. Also, ToEE has some sweet combat encounters against singular toughies, with proper combat phases as outlined by me.

If you think there is too much mob-based combat encounter design then you are a fucking imbecile, and I write you off for all-time.

Yes, ToEE has bugs. Lots of bugs. But it's never stopped me playing patch2 on and off since its inception, and there is always dll fix, Co8 and Temple+. Newbies have nothing to complain about.

Also note how Golden Age agents rarely espouse the virtues of ToEE even though it's Gygaxian Greyhawk. That's because ToEE is from Renaissance era and shits on their FR/Krynn Goldbox, which is faggotry in comparison.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Bloodlines is Troika's worst RPG because it is a popamole. And not only a popamole but a vamp popamole with 100% voiced muppets.

ToEE is their best because it's turn-based, isometric and full party control with almost no storyfaggotry in sight.

Anyone can jump in and play Bloodlines but ToEE can break the will of casuals through its chargen alone. That's another yardstick we can use.

My ranking now is:

ToEE >>> Arcanum >>>>>>>>> Bloodlines

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    Why are people saying it is edgy for me to say that Gothic is shit? I'm pretty sure Gothic is widely regarded as clunky Eurojank shit. Like, this isn't even a fucking debate. Is it? Have I missed something?

ETA: Inb4 a bunch of edgy smilies

• Edgy x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Nulb is fine as it is, Hommlet was the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    :hmmm:

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    No, you're right. What's odd is that you like Morrowind.

In my humble opinion, they're both too big and movement rate is too slow out of combat. Temple+ allows us to increase movement rate, which is cool.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm pretty sure this is not the Codex opinion, especially it being on many TOP RPG lists.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Decado Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Codex 2014
    I have some fond memories of Morrowind, concerned with being stuck at sea for months at a time in the early 2000s. It was a lifesaver -- I could just put my headphones on and drown out my surroundings for an hour or two. I played four games for 9+ months of delployment: Morrowind, Deus Ex, Fallout 2, and BG II. So, I will always love those games even if there are parts of them that are not very good.

Also, Morrowind was surprising to me because the lore/setting was so unique for a company like Bethesda (especially when compared to the absolute shit that was Oblivion). I mean, the combat was dumb and most of the voice acting was terrible, but it was still p cool to pop into random cave and emerge with a daedric shield that weighed 90 pounds.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    It's clunky eurojank but it's great.
    The issue with Gothic is that by the time you get used to the controls, which can vary a lot depending on how many third person or first person action games you play, you will have lost about 10% of the game's length getting used to them and therefore not really enjoying the gameplay. But i's a great game once you DO get used to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Maybe some people think Gothic is not popamole because it is one of the few cRPGs in which you are treated like a dog instead of the chosen one. If you try to impose yourself on the gameworld it will push back. The problem is that the game allows you to grind and exploit NPCs, so the ceiling becomes pointless. Also, setting/lore faggotry is a real phenomenon and it is different from story faggotry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top