Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Playing it first time, bought it for 12 bucks with the Ground Zeroes addon.

So far I'm having a fucking blast. The only thing that's annoying me is the rating logic - if you actually play this stealth game slowly and stealthily you'll get slapped a C rating at best. Bu if you storm a base in your helo and just gattling everything into a red mist you'll get a big golden S since this game puts time above all other criteria.

• Brofist x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    S-ranks are honestly just not that hard to get. If you get the perfect stealth bonus or do all objectives you are highly likely to get it. Do both and you can have hour long missions and still get S. I can attest to this on the mission where the 4 Russians meet, just seeing D-Dog spooked a soldier and they called off the whole thing running to the ends of the map.

Perfect stealth has pretty loose requirements, you just can't raise the general alarm. Plenty of soldiers can go missing or spot you so long as they don't get the few seconds to raise the alarm, and you can use grenades and stuff as much as you please. Dousing an outpost in smoke grenades and just running in to do your job works fine and gets you fast times + perfect stealth. Or blow some C4 up on the other side of camp to use as a distraction.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ultimanecat Erudite

ultimanecat
    Christ I had never played any of these event missions on my first playthrough. Don’t care much about FOB stuff in the first place but I made about 6 mil GMP off a single infiltration of the event base. Been playing with increased difficulty so much that crawling around with vanilla settings made it pretty easy too. So yeah, that’s an option for easy money.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    you're doing it wrong

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Did an "interesting" mission. The one where you have to destroy a bunch of armored vehicles in about 13 minutes, all over a gigantic map. While doing a bunch of other optional tasks. One of them is "extract 6 prisoners". What they don't tell you is those prisoners are a) time limited since some of them are chased by search parties and promptly killed, b) located in hidden canyons and river beds and c) randomly roaming about them so even if you watch a video or read a guide you'll never find them in the same place.

I spent like 2 hours trying to find those fucking retards and do all the tasks, especially because there are no checkpoints so if you panic, want to do something quickly and got two-shotted by a cannon you start from scratch.

Also is there a mod that removes the time creteria for the ranking? It's really annoying to know that the only guaranteed way to S rank a mission is to bumrush it in a tank, blast everything into smithereens and fuck off as fast as possible. Goes so much against everything the game is about I don't even. That's a common problem with famous developers like Kojima - noone dares to tell you some of your design decisions are retarded.

Even so it's one of the best games I've ever played and I never say this lightly.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It becomes much more manageable when you show up with better gear. Really, save completing all the tasks for later.

^ Top  
  7. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    What better gear tho? I have fully upgraded fulton and a rocket launcher that two-shots the APCs. With this mission the problem wasn't the gear, it was finding the prisoners, mostly. Although once I realized only two are time-sensitive and you can sort out the rest after the time runs out it became a breeze.

^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    CGM 25 takes them out in one.

^ Top  
  9. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    If you have D-Dog with you he marks every human within like 300 feet, you should easily find most of them that are in the wilderness just by running around. Prisoners held in camps can be found by interrogating soldiers at those camps. None of them randomly roam, they follow a set path.

Isn't one of the objectives to extract most of the vehicles anyway? Just park your horse in the road, sneak up and bag 'em. Or use the mine that stuns them if you want to be lame. You have enough ammo to shoot the few you are allowed to assuming you pick up the weapon being transported.

My strat for that mission was:
    - immediately take out the 4 guards chasing the prisoner (I ran through them all from behind with the horse, stunning them and then extracting).
    - ignore the prisoner who just waits, go north and shoot the vehicle before it leaves
    - Extract the prisoner on the river
    - Shoot the next target from around the small bridge in the center of the area at long range as it appears coming down the road
    - Stun and extract the vehicle transporting the prisoner
    - Sneak to the north of the main camp (go slowly and take cover to the side of D-Horse), then camp out around that corner since everything goes past there.
    Then when all that is done you can take care of the rest of the prisoners.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    [​IMG]

Apparently there's also a "No Trace" bonus that effectively guarantees S-rank, which is 130k points according to what I've read. Took like 10 tries, a lot considering there's basically only 3 things you need to do, but shows that you can play it as a legit stealth game and time doesn't matter. Of course its a lot harder that way but just shooting up the place is obviously meant to be the casual way out.

• Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Just the tanks that show up at the end.

^ Top  
  12. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Trying to S-Rank every mission in TPP is a legitimately stiff challenge, especially if you toggle off reaction reflexes and certain other overly-helpful features.

Fuck Back Up, Back Down and its psychic fucking helicopter gunship at the end. I did S-Rank that one, though.

I should fire this game up again. Hopefully, my FOBs haven't been obliterated over time by retaliatory incursions from all the other players I raided and pillaged. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Worst thing about is that you could s rank it just by taking care of one vehicle, speeding up time then just moving to exfil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    This.

(btw I just blasted the helo with the multiple-rocket thing you can snatch during the mission, easy)

S-ranking is p. easy in most cases, bumrushing helps. Except the mission I'm doing now with extracting Emmerich. Fucking hell, what a long and painful slog, plus that robot at the end is a goddamn nightmare. First attempt took like 20 minutes of hide and seek, second was better but still...Jesus.

^ Top  
  15. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Huh? The speed up time cigar counts against your timer score.

Does make it easy to no traces though.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    I lost patience in this one, I just dropped a smoke bomb on my Jeep and drove it all the way to Huey

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Well that's them missions done. Now for the last few codenames and animals. This part oughta be more fun than the rest.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    The mission where you battle Man of Fire was cancer. I was runnig around like a retard trying to figure out where to go while MoF pummeling me with fireballs and Pequod yelling at me to get to the chopper. At one point I yelled back "but where you dumbfuck, the tunnel has caved!!1".

I did figure out to make MoF hit the water towers but I didn't know what to do next. I tried to extract him while he was stunned but his weirdo buddy wasn't having it. Then both towers were down and I was fucked.

It took me like 15 minutes to realize I can actually call the chopper into the middle of the fucking boss arena :x

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    One of the most annoying things about this game is that the helicopter upgrades are far too expensive, especially considering that calling in the helicopter is almost always counterproductive to getting a good rank (and frankly, too much trouble when you can just do something else faster).

^ Top  
  20. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    It's good to have the at first glance useless water gun in that Man on Fire fight too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    It's all worth it when you can request air support with the helicopter equipped with speakers playing this

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    I don't remember the helicopter upgrades being particularly costly at all. The expensive upgrades all ended up being shit they added months after release.

Since you can use parts of upgrades on other weapons there's a few things you can save money on by buying something cheap and using it's attachments on the things you actually want to use them on.

^ Top  
  23. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Oh, they are. You end up paying thousands or even tens of thousands of GMP for a simple extraction, whether or not the armaments are actually used.

Even after I had absolutely all of the offline-intended equipment and some of the online-intended equipment (meant for FOB warfare, cost absurd amounts of GMP) researched and had tons of GMP coming in from raiding FOBs, I still didn't want to use the helicopter with its upgrades.

^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    That's not much compared to the GMP you end up with.

^ Top  
  25. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    So I've unlocked FOBs and now there's an event "Bound Dragon". I choose the Easy diff. first.

The platform is swarming with fucking walking tanks - fully armored guards I can't even hurt. If they discover me it's game over. The most I've managed is to sprint over to one of the stationary machine guns. It took a full clip to kill one guard. The others then promptly raepd' me.

I mean, what the fuck? Is sneaking and manually choking them the only way to deal with them? That doesn't seem very viable since they're constantly milling around and patrolling and covering each other's angles, especially near the core. I guess I can try sleeping or stunning grenades but then all hell breaks lose and I'm fucked anyway.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)