Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd Gods - phase-based spacetime travel RPG about the 1990s

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Magazines, you say?

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Haven’t listened to it yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Lots of games getting coverage soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Is this actually simultaneous TB or just a normal RTwP system mislabeled as simultaneous TB? What was that recent game that had it completely wrong? The one with the city drowned in water? It wasn't a horrible game but RTwP doesn't equal simultaneous TB, a completely different thing.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    The answer's on the first page.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    I asked because I didn't want to read through tons of posts to have a simple question answered. If you know, and replied, I don't understand the level of jerk needed in not just answering the simple question. The OP stated this-

Again, almost every modern game that claims it is simultaneous TB and has not been anything close to it.

Most people willing to reply to a question they know, and the question was posed obviously to avoid reading a bunch of posts, would just answer the question instead of giving an answer that requires doing what was trying to be avoided.

What is wrong with you nuCodexers?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Nutria Learned

Nutria
    You can't say that about Desert War 1940-1942.

^ Top  
  8. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    I've never heard of it. But I stick to rpgs mostly. If its a wargame type of simulator I think I read somewhere that there are really old wargames, from old Greece at least, maybe older, that had simultaneous/concurrent TB games. I've never gotten into wargames, I did check out some when I was more into systems when I was younger and concurrent TB seemed to be a lot more common with them than rpgs. There are rpg examples too, like the Burning Wheel comes to mind. I just can't stand when devs try to redefine a term already defined and re-label pretty much exactly what RT games like the IE/NWN/Kotor games did, such as get rid of the turns, but keep initiative, etc, and have active round-based combat. Is there a difference between RT systems? Sure, Darklands I don't think had a round, etc. But the one certainty that ties them all together is they don't have turns. Whether it is round based, or a queue system, etc.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nutria Learned

Nutria
    Yeah, I was mostly just joking. I've never seen simultaneous turns in an RPG. There's a certain strand of wargames, V-For-Victory and its successors, that use it quite effectively, and Desert War is a recent example of that.

I'm pretty sure it didn't. Graphically it was quite smooth. You wouldn't ever see your guys jerking off for a half-second waiting for the round.

^ Top  
  10. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    This isn't a megathread. There are only four pages, scroll through them and read the posts helpfully marked with a developer tag.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    Word up. There's been a few simultaneous turn-based systems like ours over the years, but they're bloody rare.

We call ours 'phase based', it's not RTWP, it's actually true simultaneous turns. A page or so ago in this thread I went it in some detail. It's hard to find examples in cRPGs (it is waay more common in pen and paper RPGs like Pendragon, Tunnels and Trolls I and older / military wargaming), but here's one ;)

Origin Systems' Knight of Legend, featuring the Ultima series crossover character Seggallion (trivia - I wrote some Seggallion stuff for Ultima V Lazarus, which is how I know about that combat system).

[​IMG]

The Knight of Legend box art featured the mightiest perm I've ever seen on RPG box art. Played a fair bit of it while doing research on our system, although I haven't clocked KoL yet...

There's a few more examples of simultaneous turn-based systems: Laser Squad Nemesis. Some game the dude from Penny Arcade told me about at PAX, but I can't remember it... I'll update this post if/when I find it. Copper Dreams has a similar system I think (although I haven't played a build yet, so I could be wrong). Frozen Synapse does something similar as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  13. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Iron Danger is doing phase based.

Can you elaborate a little bit on alignment system? Are all different genres to factions or are they just good old alignment systems with genre names?

^ Top  
  14. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Not for games they weren't.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    I thought Iron Danger was RTWP with a rewind mechanic, unless I've missed something. I'll check it out.

Good question! Music genre (and genre 'stream') affect NPC / Party Member disposition, and also map to factions you'll encounter, e.g. you could encounter a tribe of ravers gone feral in Iron Age Britain who worship Underground Electronic music, if that makes sense.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Dispositions make sense. Thanks!

^ Top  
  17. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    Another 'alignment' feature I've always wanted to try out is conversion/impostering - I like the idea of someone masquerading as a.. a punk, for example to infiltrate a faction. Get the appearance right to get through the front door, but then you have to do a lot of fast talking to keep up the facade. Just a thought. Might surface as a one-off, but it'd be nice to make a proper system out of it.

^ Top  
  18. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    I think that this is a thing that more than a few people would love to see in more games. At least, I do.

^ Top  
  19. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Again, why waste both our times by continuing to reply to a question without answering the question? Is that something dickheads do? Yes. But the real reason, we both understand, is because you couldn't answer it. You are not knowledgeable and hide it behind smarminess. That is why you will always fit into this community far more than I do. The nuCodex posters have created an atmosphere that is anti-knowledge, anti-intelligence, anti-sane, anti-rpg, pro-child, pro-ignorance, and pro-console.

I wish you well and hope you grow up and put more value in knowledge and learning instead of trying to look cool to your young, super hip, nuCodex compatriots. Have a good day, sir.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Oh, sorry, Roqua, did I touch a retard-nerve in that retard bag of flesh you call a body, retard? :positive:

[​IMG]

:smug:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • nice nice x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    It's also a game with the most appallingly boring combat known to man. :negative:

^ Top  
  22. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    You nuCodexers are super funny. And super smart.

Edit - the first time I've used a button on this site was a day or two ago. I can see why you kids like it. Its much easier than thinking or saying something worth saying, or being adult. Simple, like nuCodexers.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ItsChon Liturgist Patron

ItsChon
    Looks very nice and I'm excited for it. The main website could be easier to navigate though, as it's really unintuitive.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    Thanks! That is, if you're referring to OG ;)

Yeah, totally agree. When it comes to web design, I couldn't design a hot fart in an old pair of trackie dacks, although I can hack something together that's vaguely on theme. Need to fix it.

^ Top  
  25. HeatEXTEND Liturgist

HeatEXTEND
    Fun concept, cautiously optimistic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)