Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Is the end game opposition immune to blunt? I am planning an unarmed Rogue 3 / Monk 2/ Paladin X.
My level 17 monk can't hurt end-game opposition significantly unless I make him wield a staff or some other weapon that has elemental damage or the Ghost Touch property.
You'd think a level 17 monk somehow figured out how to hurt ghosts, but I guess there you go.
Staff is a Monk weapon, right? You can get a +5 staff with 2d6 Force damage on hit from a Diplomat event where you say "I want a magic relic" from a country you caught spying on you.
If you don't have it yet, that ship has sailed obviously, but that would be good for incorporeal enemies.

Cael

Arcane
But why would you do this to your archeologist...:( Indiana Jones doesn't need any dragon wings...

Well he's an archaeologist with a bite now...literally. :lol: It's a pretty interesting combination so far. Moderate attack bonus but good when using Archaeologist's Luck, good AC and damage potential and can do fun dragon things like bite and use breath weapons. With the sneak attack damage and also spells (Heroism, Blur and others), and a great Use Magic Device skill, he's a pretty versatile melee character. I'm having fun with him.
An archeologist without Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip) and Weapon Focus (Whip) is pure :decline:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
But why would you do this to your archeologist...:( Indiana Jones doesn't need any dragon wings...

Well he's an archaeologist with a bite now...literally. :lol: It's a pretty interesting combination so far. Moderate attack bonus but good when using Archaeologist's Luck, good AC and damage potential and can do fun dragon things like bite and use breath weapons. With the sneak attack damage and also spells (Heroism, Blur and others), and a great Use Magic Device skill, he's a pretty versatile melee character. I'm having fun with him.
An archeologist without Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip) and Weapon Focus (Whip) is pure :decline:
At least there's an Indy-esque hat you can get (it boosts Perception and Archery).

Cael

Arcane

At least there's an Indy-esque hat you can get (it boosts Perception and Archery).
Archery? :decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline: *button explodes from the frantic presses*

Yosharian

Arcane
Is the end game opposition immune to blunt? I am planning an unarmed Rogue 3 / Monk 2/ Paladin X.
My level 17 monk can't hurt end-game opposition significantly unless I make him wield a staff or some other weapon that has elemental damage or the Ghost Touch property.
You'd think a level 17 monk somehow figured out how to hurt ghosts, but I guess there you go.
Staff is a Monk weapon, right? You can get a +5 staff with 2d6 Force damage on hit from a Diplomat event where you say "I want a magic relic" from a country you caught spying on you.
If you don't have it yet, that ship has sailed obviously, but that would be good for incorporeal enemies.
Wait what? There are enemies immune to bludgeoning at the end game?

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are correct Serus
Following that line of thought my new build is :

Knifemaster 3/ Scaled Fist 1/ Paladin2/ Knife master X.

Should have an interesting amount of AC/Saves and Damage.
Yep, that's the almost "classic": sneak attack class with 2 levels of paladin and 1 level of CHA monk build. Great AC, good saves, high damage. You can't go wrong with this one. The only downside, you have to be lawful good.
In PnP this would be a terrible character. A Rogue like character that must act like a Paladin?! And be calm like a Monk :D
Good luck with roleplaying this. If you were at my table and came with this build I would warn you right away that D&D is a roleplaying game first and rollplaying game second and you will lose both paladin and monk abilities if you don't roleplay both but only see them as stat bonuses.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
In PnP this would be a terrible character. A Rogue like character that must act like a Paladin?! And be calm like a Monk :D
Good luck with roleplaying this. If you were at my table and came with this build I would warn you right away that D&D is a roleplaying game first and rollplaying game second and you will lose both paladin and monk abilities if you don't roleplay both but only see them as stat bonuses.
I'm not at your table. In fact we're not at anyone's table, we're talking about a build in a computer game called Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Don't be like this one other poster You are so fond of who does that all the time.
:smug:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm not at your table. In fact we're not at anyone's table, we're talking about a build in a computer game called Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Don't be like this one other poster You are so fond of who does that all the time.
I know, I was just saying :D.

But Even being Lawful Good in this game can be a pain if you don't feel like it. Unless you plan to use that atonement scroll often.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I know, I was just saying :D.

But Even being Lawful Good in this game can be a pain if you don't feel like it. Unless you plan to use that atonement scroll often.
Agreed. I even wrote exactly that in the original post: "(...) downside, you have to be lawful good". But that's what playing a paladin - even a 2 levels one - demands. You don't want paladin limitation, you can't have those high paladin saves.
I guess this build could also work well for a custom merc. 5 less points at character creation isn't the end of the world. And I don't believe you have to care about the moral choices of your custom mercenaries at all.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm not finding it terribly difficult, as long as I game it a bit. I'd prefer the freedom to answer as I like, but it's worth the saves, as you say

When I do my evil playthrough I'm gonna be a right bastard

Deleted Member 16721

Archery? :decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline::decline: *button explodes from the frantic presses*

It's funny you guys mention Indiana Jones, because the Tomb of Vordakai felt like something from The Last Crusade or some Indiana Jones flick. I mentioned it in one of my videos. I don't have a whip or hat but there's no pistols either, so an Indiana Jones build isn't really available in the game. :decline:

The character is cool though. I'd suggest anyone trying it out, I've had good success with it. Currently using the Rageclaw Longsword so when Amiri is raging and using Inspire Ferocity it becomes a +4 instead of a +2. And I'm also a Persuasion/Perception build so I'm always finding hidden secrets like Indy. 'Tis cool.

Cael

Arcane

It's funny you guys mention Indiana Jones, because the Tomb of Vordakai felt like something from The Last Crusade or some Indiana Jones flick. I mentioned it in one of my videos. I don't have a whip or hat but there's no pistols either, so an Indiana Jones build isn't really available in the game. :decline:

The character is cool though. I'd suggest anyone trying it out, I've had good success with it. Currently using the Rageclaw Longsword so when Amiri is raging and using Inspire Ferocity it becomes a +4 instead of a +2. And I'm also a Persuasion/Perception build so I'm always finding hidden secrets like Indy. 'Tis cool.
Hand crossbow or repeating crossbow.

Lhynn

Arcane
Get a monk level and use the staff +5 with +2d6 blunt force?

I mean thats a whole lot of attacks on a two handed weapon, flurry makes it extremely viable.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just got Mark of Justice too, right before
Vordekai Chapter and his dungon full of daemons
. Gonna be good.

Ent

Savant
I hope tieflings have a prehensile tail equip slot for some meta magic rod shenanigans. I dunno what to think about kineticists though - I heard they were an underwhelming class in the actual pen and paper game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Man, it sucks you can't tell Sahiya what you want from her (you generally can tell that to other artisans). I keep getting Monastic Kamas and Sling Staffs. I want my Fauchard, FFS.
On the plus side, I got a pretty sweet +4 Bastard with +6 Cha and Will save bonus for Val. Not that bad for beginning of Chapter 3.

Efe

Erudite
stuck to +1 staves?
you get +2 Crimson Counselor quite early.
there a lot more staves than many other weapon types on average.

Yosharian

Arcane
Man, it sucks you can't tell Sahiya what you want from her (you generally can tell that to other artisans). I keep getting Monastic Kamas and Sling Staffs. I want my Fauchard, FFS.
On the plus side, I got a pretty sweet +4 Bastard with +6 Cha and Will save bonus for Val. Not that bad for beginning of Chapter 3.
Can't you just save scum?

Efe

Erudite
according to weapon table that yosharian shared.
it is the 3rd most common weapon type in game. (longbow > greataxe > quarterstaff)
i know its not %100 complete but it has majority of items listed.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can't you just save scum?

Come on, that would be cheating!

J/K.
Technically you can, but its not easy. Seems to me like the next item is determined on the delivery of the previous one... so you need to save just before getting one and then have like 2-3 months of peace in your barony. Meanwhile handling events, visitor dialogues and loading times means its like 20 minutes per try even when you do have that peaceful period.

Unless you don't care about your kingdom or set it on auto, I guess.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom