Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Myself I'm having the worst buyers remorse. I'm having a hard time describing how poor it feels. It's like they are trying to make a nuXcom game but with zero of the flair. Mostly I just can't believe how the older games like the original X-com, and Apocalypse still play and look so much better than anything coming out now. I'm guessing it's finally dawning on me that we(I) are never getting anything like those games ever again, considering this is made by that guy that made those games in the first place. Dream is dead.

Dude.
May I ask what was the last tactical game that you actually enjoyed?
If I remember correctly you disliked Phantom Doctrine too to a point of refund (, me I played couple of levels, saw that there were some quirks and decided to wait for patches.)

Battle Brothers, Xenonauts etc.

My point was that even if these games are fun and all, none of the them surpass X-com and JA2, which I personally find a bit silly. All these years and we still don't have anything new to compare future and current tactical games to. It feels a bit like a Citizen Kane situation.

I do enjoy Foxhole, but that is a totally different kind of game, since it's massive-multiplayer and real-time. My despair is specifically related to the turn-based tactical genre.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, it's still under development so you can jump on any time :) I haven't played myself for a couple of months. But from what I have read they have made a lot of improvements, shooting is more on "simulated" side now, and they are making a lot of improvements on the actual logistics of the game. Making it more important to build factories and keeping them safe and so on.

Okay, won't hijack the thread anymore. Don't want a split!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

My point was that even if these games are fun and all, none of the them surpass X-com and JA2, which I personally find a bit silly. All these years and we still don't have anything new to compare future and current tactical games to. It feels a bit like a Citizen Kane situation.
That happens.
Me, I'm merely looking for game that's good for now; I'm not one to chase the dragon of perfect game anymore.
I still expect to be quite upset about nu-Steel Panthers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

That happens.
Me, I'm merely looking for game that's good for now; I'm not one to chase the dragon of perfect game anymore.
I still expect to be quite upset about nu-Steel Panthers.

Same here. But this being a Gollop X-com is just such a hard pill to swallow (If you don't like it that is).

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Regarding overwatch:

strifecross QA Lead said:
Overwatch is almost useless at this point. It's being reworked and Julian has been working on it. It's gonna be awesome is all I am gonna say. (and that's coming from a person who HATES overwatch as a player ability)

There will be more Will Point manipulation in the final game. More units that take it away, more statuses based on losing WP, and more interesting ways of getting it back.
UnstableVoltage said:
Overwatch camping is something we really want to avoid. It is something that will be balanced out by the final release, but it's too early to do now. In its current state, overwatch is fairly weak. It triggers right across the map, rarely hits and does little damage. This is why it has a 0 WP cost in this build.
source

*edit*
My bet is: if overwatch is triggered the game enters Free-Aim, you will decide where to shoot or if at all.

xmd1997

Educated
Regarding overwatch:

strifecross QA Lead said:
Overwatch is almost useless at this point. It's being reworked and Julian has been working on it. It's gonna be awesome is all I am gonna say. (and that's coming from a person who HATES overwatch as a player ability)

There will be more Will Point manipulation in the final game. More units that take it away, more statuses based on losing WP, and more interesting ways of getting it back.
UnstableVoltage said:
Overwatch camping is something we really want to avoid. It is something that will be balanced out by the final release, but it's too early to do now. In its current state, overwatch is fairly weak. It triggers right across the map, rarely hits and does little damage. This is why it has a 0 WP cost in this build.
source

*edit*
My bet is: if overwatch is triggered the game enters Free-Aim, you will decide where to shoot or if at all.
Here's a couple of comments directly from Julian on the forums and reddit.

"The original X-COM (and Laser Squad for that matter) had facing with 90 degree arcs, within which only overwatch (then called ‘opportunity fire’) would be triggered. However, in ‘Laser Squad Nemesis’ I implemented directional overwatch, which worked by selecting a direction which gave a preference for shooting. For Phoenix Point I would like to test a new overwatch system where you pick a point on the map which is the target of a cone of fire, within which an enemy would trigger overwatch. This system would allow you to select both the range and direction of any overwatch shot."

"We plan to add 'directed overwatch' which basically means picking a point to target overwatch, which effectively sets a range and a trigger cone, within which an enemy will trigger overwatch."

"I am toying with the idea to set the width of the cone."

https://www.reddit.com/user/JulianGollop
https://forums.snapshotgames.com/t/...-system-tweak-for-overwatch-return-fire/455/8

PanteraNera

Arcane
Regarding procedurally generated maps I got this answer from UnstableVoltage on discord:
UnstableVoltage said:
Maps are procedurally generated in the game as you play. Buildings are pre-made, but placed in maps procedurally. Once you've visited a location, the map for that location will stay the same. As we add more building types and more map plots, you'll see more variety. I believe that the alien maps at the moment are limit to just 2 layouts (as ever map basic layout has to be hand-tested before it is put into the build).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We can quibble about the decline of X-Com, but if this track is an indication, they nailed a great spooky sci-fi soundtrack.
love.png

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's up bro!?
Your hormone treatment failed to kick in? Again?

Just chill

He seems pretty chill to me?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is ok, let him insult. It's the only thing he does anyway here.

...says the one who started with the insults! :)

You two should get a room and jerk off each other there.
After that you should join your lover at shoveling shit and emptying septic tanks.

PS: What's up Zombra!
You tired of sucking Fargo's cock and shilling for inXile and paid a "visit"? :)

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/12/4/the-designs-of-anu
THE DESIGNS OF ANU
As Backer Build Three for Phoenix Point has now been released, work is well under way on new content for future builds. Thus far we have only shown Havens for one of the major factions, New Jericho. We now turn our attention to The Disciples of Anu - the cult-like followers of an ancient god of the same name.

While the images we have to show at this stage are in the form of concept art, the infrastructure which has been put into place already in crafting the New Jericho Havens allows us to turn these concept drawings into fully textured 3D environments in a relatively short time.

The Slums
Unlike New Jericho who had the luxury of converting their old military bases into Havens, or using their experience and resources to construct new ones, The Disciples of Anu live by simpler means.

The Disciples’ living areas within the Havens are essentially slums - with housing put together from whatever materials they can get their hands on. As the Disciples embrace the changes brought about by the Padoravirus, its mutated vegetation and tendrils are left to grow wild around their structures.

DoA-Concept_slum03%2C1.jpg

A selection of concept buildings from the Slum district of a Disciples Haven

The Disciples of Anu houses have a much more organic and chaotic appearance to them than the very clean-cut Brutalist designs of New Jericho.

DoA-Concept_slum06%2C1.jpg

More Anu housing

In an effort to save on materials in constructing their housing, The Disciples build many of their structures around trees and other natural formations. These provide additional protection and stability for buildings while reducing the resources required.

DoA-Concept_interior-slum01.jpg

Slum housing interiors

The interiors of the slum housing is also very different from that of New Jericho and presents different tactical situations. Fewer large, open spaces and many smaller rooms connected on different elevations means a change in strategy.

Temple District
Those members within The Disciples of Anu who find themselves higher up in the hierarchy aren’t going to be slumming it with the rest of the population. The Anu elite will mostly be spending their time in the temples of Anu.

DoA-Concept_Elite-temples01.jpg

An early temple district concept

The idea behind the layout concept for The Disciples of Anu temple districts allows for tactical combat on multiple levels, both indoor and out. Several large, ornate buildings, all interconnected by raised walkways, inner corridors are cloisters.

DoA-Concept_temples02.jpg

Various levels of temple buildings

The temples are much more ornate and intricately constructed than the general Anu housing. Only the finest construction materials are worthy for building a house to worship Anu. The above image shows a selection of different temple district buildings, starting with more humble and simplistic structures and eventually becoming sprawling temples to the old god.

DoA-Concept_temples01.jpg

Some of the different styles and colours considered for temples

Many different styles, colours and different forms of iconography have been considered for The Disciples of Anu.

DoA-Concept_props-elite01.jpg

Anu props

The Anu Havens will have their own stylised props too. Those shown above are just a small selection in the early stages, but we will have more to share wit you later.

Training District
A little bonus image from The Disciples of Anu training district where new soldiers are taught their combat skills.

DoA-Concept_slum-training01.jpg

Training district building concepts

In addition to The Disciples of Anu Havens, the art team are also currently working on Phoenix Project bases and concepts for Synedrion. We will be sharing some of that in a future update.

Mustawd

So Grotesque wich art is worse? this or Nuxcom 2?

I've never seen concept art from XCOM 2 so I can't answer this question.

I don’t think it really matters. Concept art is supposed to be funcional and not necessarily beautiful.

That being said, some of the color options seem a bit weird, but that’s part of the iteratove process I suppose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom