Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by TT1, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Sherry Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Sherry
    Hi!

gosh. Gosh! GOSH!

Another DLC sucked down the drain okay? Gosh finished this evening the Beast of Winter which was not full of depth as the last DLC The Forgotten Sanctum but certainly worth downloading to tie in with the stories told in Pillars of Eternity right? GOSH! Between the two which one did I like this most right that is what you are asking and need to know? ikr!! okay. OKAY! Gosh just take it easy okay? OKAY!

Both are great story DLCs, but Beast of Winter takes the top spot because it explores with more detail on what was shared in Pillars of Eternity with the Godhammer tale! Gosh this was so genius to go back in time and be able to learn and visually see the effects that info dump NPC talked so much about in Pillars of Eternity it made you want to dismiss them the moment they would not stop talking about it. Just poor NPC design on their part as I mentioned in my Pillars of Eternity review but thankfully the Beast of Winter does not follow the same poor design of information dump NPCs like Pillars of Eternity did because guess what? That annoying NPC is not part of the world!

Oh! There are screens so be warned of spoilers! Okay! You have been warned right? So let me get to the tale of Orange as she rippled through Beast of Winter!

- okay here Orange arrives to Harbinger's Watch and exploring with her crew.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- Orange arrives and is greeted with the proper titles based on Pillars of Eternity +1.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- but back outside after things happen we meet this beast!!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

ikr! Orange has been nothing but a loyal friend to all Dragons since Pillars of Eternity and here is one attacking her. Word of her friendship to Dragons should have reached all Dragons but not this one. It was a fun battle but more hardship was soon to come.

- we met another God!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- We explored the chill and cold of Rymrgand's touch!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- Orange kept pressing and going deeper to find answers.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- Orange met Neriscyrlas once again in parlay.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- Orange was forced to follow Neriscyrlas and find spirits to help her beat this undead Dragon! This was when the Godhammer tale began to unfold.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

So much story about the history of Eora is in Beast of Winter, connecting what it is which was told in Pillars of Eternity, to becoming a reality you can explore in its continued tale. I truly loved how everything unfolded at The Bridge Ablaze, what it is we learn, and how it comes to play a part in the grand tale of the Gods. Gosh. This is just a slice of this beautiful tale, both DLCs introducing 3 Gods one may interact with. It's not a standard in the industry to evolve on tales already told, to flesh out history, the present, and the future, but after playing the Beast of Winter, truly, this goes far and beyond. What has impressed me the most with the two adventure DLCs, is the care and thought toward the greater picture. Main party members still react to events as they unfold. They all have voiced dialog, and both DLCs bridge the world together with such fabulous interwoven subtle strands, it would be a true shame if Microsoft tossed this world aside.

I get it. There has been a lot of push against this tale, but it has created a world with depth that has been missing far too long. The Forgotten Sanctum and Beast of Winter together was well thought out and planned. They're not equals to one another; they supplement a God's vision which is able to stand on their own independently with one another, yet come together so wonderfully in a well crafted world that makes sense.

More tomorrow. :hug:

Thanks,
    Sherry

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Brofist x 6
    • Friendly x 3
    • meh x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    ^ mental patient

What I really dislike are the HARD COUNTERS... .. .
    Ran into some Dank Spores who charm you. Now you """Svef""", which is a bit expensive but available drug, and it gets you Resistance to Int Afflictions which ALWAYS downgrades all Charms to Confused. Well, Eder doesnt care in melee if he is confused. He is just whacking. And the AI is not switching to the other chars... Trivializes the encounter. Might trivializes all encounters based around Charms really... POE1 was better.

^ Top  
  3. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    poe threads always deliver.

Elephantman

hey, since u seem to be the current autist-du-jour in here talking about poe, what's your opinion on turn-based mode?

additionally, (as i am planning on starting the game in TB mode soon), what are your thoughts on current class "balance" as of 5.0 patch? TB or RT, just in general.

I don't want to go with my standard PoE saber-critter rogue that I always go with and have been trying to think of something fun.

^ Top  
  4. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    RtwP > TB
    True Story
    Especially if its tacked on.
    RtwP plays like phase based (if you larp and dont kite and play by rules where you are only allowed to issue orders when chars finish their actions, whatever those actions may be). This already eliminates the core TB """gameplay""" approach of initiative alpha striking.

I havent tried POE2 TB mode but my guess is that it breaks heavily everywhere. I guess Gucci street fight is a good test. If I can alpha strike the 2 fighters than TB mode is worthless trash.

I have zero idea about balance in 1.0 and 5.0. I tried 1.0, sailed to Neketaka and saw that its too eez. Uninstall.exe.

Something fun is a class that is considered too squishy for melee and not fit for combat.
    Make it Solo and play on Hard and you can look for absolutely new ways to survive.
    Most fun I had with POE1 was when I went Solo Wizard. Though it gets old when you figure out how to stack defenses in the right order and stand in a corner while Chill Fog and Fireball eat away the opposition.

Random EDER gameplay notes:
    Getting Eder into some kind of survivable tank territory is almost possible by now!
    Change armor to something that does not have a Pierce vulnerability...
    Medium shield modal: chance x? to fully ignore attack
    Gloves: chance to convert enemy hit to graze
    Unique ring: +2 to Def per engaged enemy
    Sword and board: +6 to Defl and Ref
    Unique sword: +5 defl
    Cape: +4 defl
    Ring: +2 defl

Darkest Dawn Amulet: 20% dmg resist when near death
    Death Runes Helmet: 15% dmg resist when near dead body
    Guardian stance +5% to dmg resist per engaged enemy

There is a potion that gives +3 to Armor rating, so one can potentially reach 12 AR eez.
    and a potion that gives +8 to all Def

(Improvements on horizon: better ring, boots, belt, fine shield)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • No No x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Efe Learned

Efe
    Unique sword: +5 defl
    if its gladiator sword, might as well use a dagger or hatchet?

^ Top  
  6. Sherry Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Sherry
    Hi.

omg. Omg! OMG!!!

okay. Okay! Hgonna do my best to really try to focus on the Beast of Winter DLC I wrote about yesterday okay? OKAY!

So flipping backa dn forth in histroy was true gem of a tale. It connected the first part of the game with the second, without changing the past but still allowed you to experience it. Gosh it was like I was Marty McFly. ikr! :hug:

The Beast of Winter encompassed three different tales but the Godhammer flashback impressed me the most. I'd like to keep much of my thoughts about it to my final post of DEADFIRE which will come sometime this week I am very excited but you can scroll up and read my quick thoughts on how its bridges Pillars of Eternity with DEADFIRE so nicely. Okay so to some screenies these are spoilies okay? OKAY!

- Gosh the Bridge Ablaze is a wonderful introduction to the Godhammer tale with fantastic artistic direction that breathes life into Durance's info dumps in Pillars of Eternity.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- The GODHAMMER EXPLOSION is just terrific!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- Orange working to help Woedica the moment they are torn apart by the GODHAMMER!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- omg. Omg! OMG! The GODHAMMER!!!!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- Orange did not stop there having to venture to the Endless Queries where we offered to help a spirit shackled for eternity.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- gosh Orange had to go through a Trial to help the Shackled Soul and got to answers questions.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Then there was the Dworned Kingdomg! Lots of water and stuff.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- okay so the Drowned Kingdom was very straight forward. It had lots of water though and falling water, but if you just followed the available path you just had to click on items to change the flow of water it was not a puzzle or anything and it goes by pretty fast.

Okay so you do these three portals and whatever to get these spirits to help you fight the Dragon or not because that is where I got confused with one coming along to be inserted to the Wheel and the other two I got to help me fight the Dragon but idk okay? The two I helped were kinda off the side of the main encounter with the Dragon and didn't do anything myabe I just did omsething wrong but oh well it woekrd out tin the dn.

- Diving into the VOID to face the DRAGON!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

oKAY THAnks. Be back tomorrow with another update!

Thanks,
    Sherry

• Brofist x 4
    • Shit x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Efe Learned

Efe
    werent they supposed to "drop" the godhammer on the god?
    why is it under him?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It was an underhanded blow.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    Great tip, breh. Modal info is hard to get. You need to look at the tooltip after you get it...
    Dagger modal gives +10 to deflection. Thats 5 more. You do need a modal though. I'll retrain later.
    Hatchet doesnt quite fit, you need to hit the enemy to give them -10 acc. Does not help vs a couple of enemies and hitting stuff is hard.

Now, having found out how to check info on modals, the medium shield modal gives a flat, no questions asked, 30% resist (meaning: complete ignore) to all melee attacks. Holy shit. That's better than 30 deflection! Maybe, I am reading it wrong but it certainly looks this way.

I'll post later about another modal that I found looking to help my crits. Which also looks whack.

^ Top  
  10. Sherry Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Sherry
    Hi.

Orange wasn't sure about leaping through a giant hole in the ice she stood upon, so she made everyone hold hands and jump together. :hug: This is the location where three spirits are available to assist you in the combat to come but nothing ever came of it for Orange or the party. We all had to battle Neriscyrlas without the help of the two spirits Orange had to assist her. So I checked a walkthrough and read I had to lure Neriscyrlas toward those spirits with each one offering assistance during the battle but what good is that when Orange would get hit with disengagement attacks right? Gosh, they just stood and watched a most spectacular battle. It was tough because it is a Dragon but another battle would be waiting far more sinister than Neriscyrlas.

- Orange and the party landing in Neriscyrlas' Lair!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- Gosh Neriscyrlas is really, really pissed off! To the left one of the spirits who offered to help but ended up just watching instead! :hahano:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- Number of screens from the battle. Neriscyrlas tends to move around so splitting up the party helped to flank with Aloth in a supporting role, while Orange and Serefan knocked off Cipher attacks and explosives!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After its destruction Orange is whooshed away into the Void where it is cold, windy and spirits are slowly worn and eroded away by being kept there and Neriscylas was a good long battle here comes another one with the Beast of Winter which as Orange spoke with, did not end well and combat began. Real tough and a challenge and Eder used lots of Clean Sweep and Inspired Strike attacks to knock it down and Maia maximized her animal companion abilities along with Hunter's Fang. Orange and Serfan continued to use their minds to slam the Beast of Winter into submission.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

OF COURSE IT GOES AFTER ALOTH!! FFS!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Gosh this battle took over 30 minutes and it was Orange with her mind strained and her body bloody pulling all her strength into a single thought of detonation to bring the Beast of Winter to its knees and even then Orange simply grazed this massive beast but it was enough!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

- and gosh, that was it! Orange and her band were thrust out of Rymrgand's domain bloody, wounded and just near death's door. Did not want to have to redo that battle lol!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

So that is the Beast of Winter and I really enjoyed its focus into the past events and some high-end encounters plus the snow and ice reminded me a lot of the White March from Pillars of Eternity some real good story telling here but that is it right? Orange has a few ends to tie up and complete before sailing to Ukaizo which will be the last of Orange and her party then one last post for the ending slides it has been quite a remarkable and enjoyable journey just exploring Eora so keep your eyes peeled for the final leg of this adventure okay? Okay!

Thanks,
    Sherry

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Haplo Arbiter Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think the sword also has some cheap enchantments that improve its Pen. Overall it is a neat weapon with good balance of offence and defence at this stage. And doesn't come with modal penalty.

Shield modal is good, but again, slows you down a lot.

^ Top  
  12. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    It does indeed work that way, and it also applies to a lot more than just melee attacks. Natural ranged attacks from monsters like wurms, for example. Don't know if this is a new bug or if it was just never fixed.

^ Top  
  13. Haplo Arbiter Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Eh, that's a bit too much "On the Edge" for my taste.
    Berserker Rage will continuously damage you and the damage will scale with Might. Plus now you're debuffing both Perception (Powder Burns) and Intellect (Berserker Rage).

I definitely prefer to multi a Streetfighter with a Helwalker Monk. Still takes more damage from attacks, can use Mortification to self-damage, but won't kill himself without you even noticing.
    Duality: Int will make BB aoe-s large and effect durations long. Dual BB Stunning Surge is pretty awesome. Extreme Helwalker Might helps in the damage department. Dance of Death ups Accuracy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    So, anyone figured out a perfect combo of god challenges to play with? I'm thinking about doing a news run, but doing a ful challenge combo seems like too much cancer.

^ Top  
  15. RaptorRex888 Educated

RaptorRex888
    Is Maia's quest still bugged? Do the assassinations occur even if you sabotage the agents? Is the only way to stop it to ignore it completely?

^ Top  
  16. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    What's wrong with killing some tribal chiefs?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sherry Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Sherry
    Hi.

Gosh very little to do and share before sailing off to Ukaizo as it was just Orange tying up incompleted quests right? So that was it and selling lots of junk and just cleaning out the stash. During the adventure Orange had not found one single unique pike which was the same problem from Pillars of Eternity for a long part of the story and with Ukaizo a sail away Orange needed one. Finding an equipment guide it seemed not an easy task to simply fall into while out and about rather than trying to follow a walkthrough Orange just plays naturally based on her choices and what she comes across. A ship was the target which was a quest Orange opted not to even receive so that ship was still there for Orange to attack. Then Orange finished up the Splintered Reef because it was difficult the first time she found it and she gathered her party before venturing forth to Ukaizo!

- exploring the Splintered Reef and hunting for Menzzago!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- oh Orange sailed back to Neketaka and went down to the Old City to finish off that mass of creatures that proved far too difficult the first time around and low level. Result? See for yourself! :cool:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- The new ship combat screen that you get now in the latest update! :hug:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

- Ukaizo is soon upon Orange and the crew!

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

okay so come back tomrrow for Ukaizo and the wrapup of Orange we are just about finished okay? Okay! :hug:

Thanks,
    Sherry

• Brofist x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    So, exploity stuffies.
    I ran into a pyramid and there were 11 gays that I could not rape at level 3.
    Experiment time: at level 5 the Rogue gets an ability that is basically designed to be an exploit.
    Gouging Strike to the eyes (boo) - enemy takes dmg until end of combat.

Well, combat does not end if you Gouge someone, Smoke yourself and run away. They just shuffle in place and take 1 raw dmg/sec until they die. And then combat ends...
    Or, you can Gouge them, let the your rogue die near them and the rest of your own group is standing around in stealth - combat does not end either until enemy is dead.
    They shuffle around, try to heal, withdraw, but the grim reaper is coming.
    [​IMG]

And thats not even all of it... Gouging applies to a single attack. And Serafens handcannon has AOE... And it applies to AOE.
    So even if you rogue dies (and he wont cause you have like 3 smoke veils at level 3), he still take 3 people with him.
    [​IMG]

Infact, he might take them all with him. Just place a trap well so that all of them come check it out ^^ and fire a single Gouging handcannon shot on on top. Even a graze applies the unstoppable death.
    [​IMG]

Why make abilities like that? In real combat 1dmp/sec is not usable, its pointless. The only way to make it work is to exploit it.

Alright, no exploits. Scrolling through modals looking for synergies with crits saw the Axe modal.
    So, a 50 dmg axe crit, and 20 ticks bleeding for 5 dmg each (100 dmg), adding the arterial strike's 100 and we get a cute 250 dmg in 60 sec. I dont think Bleeding can be resisted even... 2 crits like that and a boss is down, no? Then again, fucking random Skuldarks have 200 hp... and they are level 9 too...
    [​IMG]

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    Stealing exploit: the ability here from the boots does not break stealth.............................................................................
    Even worse, when your char jumps into the air, you can pause at the right moment, steal from whoever and cancel the animation without losing the charge... .. .
    The leap has more than 12m range.
    [​IMG]

Of course you can use Sparkles as well, to move NPCs, but the boots are even easier.

Stealth is retarded and probably intentionally broken.

Mechanics as well... Thats Serafen at level 3. Now my char is a rogue with 2 in mechanics and with the rest bonus -> 3. And party assist gives us the whole 11+3=14 to open up the highest difficulty lock in Neketaki. After 2 levelups kek.
    [​IMG]

And of course Potions of Invisibility exist and give a Backstabbing Rogue an economy tied number of backstabs...

POE1 > POE2

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    Does Obshitian know that | is borderline universal for logical OR?
    Or are they saying that they are AGAINST us OR EVIL OR BOTH for good measure?
    [​IMG]

Political figures you dont wanna see in your arpeegees for 100 pls
    [​IMG]

Wow, sometimes POE2 actually impresses a bit. There is a tribe of Xaurips in a pyramid, living next to oozes.
    With careful pulling in stealth you can make them fight!
    [​IMG]
    The Great Ooz War
    [​IMG]
    Only the champions remain! Unfair help from Xaurip side, the Troll would have won.
    [​IMG]
    But war, war never changes.
    [​IMG]

Another exploit. If you fill up space where you char needs to be to open a chest, than the game will let you open it where space is available roffles...
    [​IMG]

Archamge the poorfag. Random starving children in the Gullet have more money. And better security. The whole Vault breakin is so fucking trivial.
    [​IMG]

Troll at Obsidian, placing Body potions next to lung-rot victims. kek
    [​IMG]

A Duel, good Sir! En garde!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ... .. . alas I wish he surrendered.
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. hivemind Scholar Pretty Princess

hivemind
    use spoiler tags

• No No x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    3 blights stuck in one dimension
    [​IMG]

Long Range Cruise Missile
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, barrels are like level 10 and get the +15 PotD acc bonus vs everyone, thats why they are so deadly.

Giant Grubs that dont fit through doors, dont have a ranged attack and dont hide if attacked constantly are shit design - no way around it...

^ Top  
  23. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    spoiler tags

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    Where do you pick God challenges? Do you have to be through the game once?

^ Top  
  25. Elephantman Educated

Elephantman
    You might not like it but this is what Peak AssAssIn looks like!
    Statuesque Aesthetics
    [​IMG]
    Obsidian (get it) bugs on point for once!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)