Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why does it not feel intended? Considering starting TB mode myself, but this makes me question that decision.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why does it not feel intended? Considering starting TB mode myself, but this makes me question that decision.
I can't explain it man... It might just be my own weird mind. It just feels like everything was built with RTwP in mind and then they put in the TB mode but there are still leftovers here and there (pause button working during battles is one example)

Tim the Bore

Scholar
TB is better than RTwP, but yeah - it makes the game much, much longer. PoE 2 wasn't designed around that kind of system, so certain encounters - those with 10 or more enemies - takes fucking forever to finish (especialy ship-to-ship fights). Plus, TB reveals some problems with the mechanics (because you can actually see what is going on). And, funny enough, if you were ambushed during the fight, new enemies may start walking during your turn :D

Still, given the choice, TB is a no-brainer. Your actions have more impact and the numbers matters. Certain aspects of PoE 2 mechanics have more sense with TB.

Quillon

Arcane
Does playing with TB mode take longer time to finish the game than with RTwP? Does anyone have the numbers?

Started TB mode just to see how it is and quickly restarted in RTwP... have been playing in RTwP for about a week. If I were playing in TB it would have taken months to get to where I am in the game lol.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the encounters are not revised in any way for TB. I think we've been over this, or at least I've already ranted about it, but it was long ago.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's definitely Unity, not the hand-painted backgrounds or anything. He might be talking about the dynamic lighting, but eh, I don't really care all that much for it.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Yeah, it's definitely Unity, not the hand-painted backgrounds or anything. He might be talking about the dynamic lighting, but eh, I don't really care all that much for it.
They have normals backed in. And you dont care for that one specific example with point lights. You would care if you'd seen the game without dynamic lighting.

His example is trash though. The bulbs move nothing like wind-driven. They move as if an invisible Brennecke is holding them and pulling left right at a constant pace.
Like, the first lesson in animation is considering de/acceleration instead of speed and how it changes perception.
It wasnt considered here...

A better example would have been some darker area, where lights, some plain effects like particles and classic pixelshaders overlap.
E98F5u7.png

F1NGAxT.png

But I guess his fps drops into single digits so he cant make a gif xD

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
~700 dmg sum on a single shot, corner assassin, its borderline cheating, theoretically this could be a level 3 char with a gun (its is 5)
YYt6JUk.jpg

And they are Dazed for 15s. Dazed is -4 to Pen and cannot Engage lel!
You literally can walk up to them with 1HP and get another 4 axe attacks in with 0 danger if you kill the ranged ones quickly. And then you have another 4 Smokeveils and hence 4 Backstabs but not with that gun xD but an Axe is fine too =D

And the shot is without the +100% backstab bonus...
You could Leap with the cheating boots directly to them, and get at least 2 into Backstab range.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
~700 dmg sum on a single shot, corner assassin, its borderline cheating, theoretically this could be a level 3 char with a gun (its is 5)
And they are Dazed for 15s. Dazed is -4 to Pen and cannot Engage lel!
You literally can walk up to them with 1HP and get another 4 axe attacks in with 0 danger if you kill the ranged ones quickly. And then you have another 4 Smokeveils and hence 4 Backstabs but not with that gun xD but an Axe is fine too =D

And the shot is without the +100% backstab bonus...
You could Leap with the cheating boots directly to them, and get at least 2 into Backstab range.

Yeah, Sawyer's "Balance" was mostly a meme...

Although they did nerf some nice or average items into uselessness early.

Still, many are left.

Quillon

Arcane
Playing through SSS, recovering artifacts for the faces of the hunt on Kazuwari island. In the Köhetekana Expanse scripted illustration I lose all party members; one by one to a spider, seemingly no way to fight the damn thing... WTF? How do I get the artifact? Googling "Kohetekana Expanse" returns zero results...... ffs

ed: nvm, figured it out :P

Tigranes

Arcane
How's the new TB combat addition to PoE II? Competent or a cheap hackjob?

It's fine, it's what you get when you take a RTwP game and insert a TB mode for it. Obviously encounters aren't exactly going to be optimised for TB etc, but if you (1) hate RTwP so much you can't play it, or (2) enjoyed POE2 and want to give it another whirl, then it's there. But it's not exactly going to transform the entire game wholesale.

I'd say RTwP overall is the better experience because it was built for it, and some of the mechanisms like optimising attack speeds & reload times falls away, but TB can certainly help mitigate if you felt like RTwP was a confusing clusterfuck.

PsychoFox

Educated
How's the new TB combat addition to PoE II? Competent or a cheap hackjob?

It's fine, it's what you get when you take a RTwP game and insert a TB mode for it. Obviously encounters aren't exactly going to be optimised for TB etc, but if you (1) hate RTwP so much you can't play it, or (2) enjoyed POE2 and want to give it another whirl, then it's there. But it's not exactly going to transform the entire game wholesale.

I'd say RTwP overall is the better experience because it was built for it, and some of the mechanisms like optimising attack speeds & reload times falls away, but TB can certainly help mitigate if you felt like RTwP was a confusing clusterfuck.
Yeah i started playing and i don't mind the RTwP so far. Never was against in the first place. The TB on the other hand is a hackjob imo. Like someone above said, the mod for PFKM is done better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom