Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: The Outer Worlds and Fallout: New Vegas

Which one of these describes your opinion most closely?

• Total voters

Diggfinger

Arcane
Where's my
"YESS OF COURZ OUTTA WORLDzzzz WILL GBE FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!" option?

THank you. I'm fine.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Cainarsky vs Old Obsidian Order, who will prevail?

New Vegas had a bunch of great creators bringing their A game, and I am guesstimating that even the grunts were on a mission to deliver their best. It is not really Cainarsky that I am doubting.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Cainarsky vs Old Obsidian Order, who will prevail?

New Vegas had a bunch of great creators bringing their A game, and I am guesstimating that even the grunts were on a mission to deliver their best. It is not really Cainarsky that I am doubting.

You could say that Obsidian were giving their 110% when they made New Vegas , after all it was their last chance with Fallout franchise.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Loved Fallout NV. Hoping to love Outer Worlds but who knows until it's released. Luckily I don't make potato money and can find out for myself day one. Obsidian has earned that toilet paper day one purchase, despite Pillars being kinda boring.

Deleted Member 16721

I mean is there anyone here who likes Oblivion's persuasion minigame, Skyrim's lockpick minigame, FNV's hacking minigame?

There was a trend to go away from RPG tabletop systems as far as possible, i.e. do away with anything that's textual and doesn't have a visual representation. Skillcheck is textual, so that's "BAD", so let's gamify this shit. And for an RPG-oriented studio to mindlessly copy it should be offensive to RPG fans.

And is there anyone here who likes the results?

Yee, I enjoy them. They are charming and fun additions. I loved the persuasion minigame in Oblivion. Completely silly and not very immersive but I'll be damned if it's not satisfying to play. I also enjoy Morrowind 's system so it's whatever. But I do enjoy those minigames.

Now, start the diarrhea and let the shit ratings flow, edgelords!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion's speech mini-game was kind of enjoyable, but a terrible abstraction of persuasion, and not suitable for an RPG anyway. You should either have the player navigate actual dialogue options, or just use a faction/personality disposition check.

What did u guys like so much about new vegas? I remember playing it when it came out but I got bored after finding the money dude and siding with him. Don't really remember much beyond the awful creation engine graphics

It's the size of Fallout 2, but closer to the focused feeling of Fallout 1. Lots of interesting quests that all tie into the central conflict for the Mojave. The game is really good at offering multiple solutions to problems, and accommodating all the various builds you might try.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout: New Vegas was shit, and Outer Worlds will be shit. I'd feel bad for the 51 retards that think this travesty will be any good, but they deserve it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I mean is there anyone here who likes Oblivion's persuasion minigame, Skyrim's lockpick minigame, FNV's hacking minigame?

There was a trend to go away from RPG tabletop systems as far as possible, i.e. do away with anything that's textual and doesn't have a visual representation. Skillcheck is textual, so that's "BAD", so let's gamify this shit. And for an RPG-oriented studio to mindlessly copy it should be offensive to RPG fans.

And is there anyone here who likes the results?

I don't like these minigames because they defeat the point of the game being an RPG to begin with. I understand that in the context of an Action RPG, these are inoffensive design decisions. After all, you can already turn a battle in your favor with your reflexes, so what's the problem with turning a skillcheck in your favor by using deduction or paying attention?

That said, these minigames aren't particularly engaging, so I prefer to stick with the traditional skillcheck and thus always install Immersive Minigames. Like I've said for Bethesda in the past, Obsidian has a very valuable resource for gamemaking in the form of Nexus, which lets you see a ton of cool ideas modders came up with and you could steal to make your game even better.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Oblivion/Skyrim

RPG

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
How do you fanboys defend that in FNV you gotta hack not through a skill check, but through an annoying mini game? RPG much? Yeah right.

There is a skill check and it affects the difficulty of the minigame. As Sawyer put it

There was no intentional downscaling of the importance of hacking, but we did intentionally avoid doubling up locks with an optional hacking unlock. That was much more common in F3.

That said, in my experience talking to both players and developers, I'd estimate that roughly 80-90% of the people who played F3 or F:NV do not fully understand how the hacking minigame works. I observed the following things regularly:

* People did not understand that the number of correct letters meant letters IN THE CORRECT POSITION OF THE WORD.
* People did not understand that higher Science = fewer words to choose from given a terminal of "Hard" or easier difficulty. I.e., it is valuable to raise your Science before hacking even if you already meet the minimum requirement.
* People had no idea that you could do special character searches in the "garbage" characters to remove duds/replenish guesses.

When people knew these things, they seemed to enjoy the hacking minigame much more, for obvious reasons.

I got the first two things, but I never understood what he meant by the third. I just installed a mod to make rolling for auto success 100% likely for it and lockpick by the end of my first play and never looked back.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I got the first two things, but I never understood what he meant by the third. I just installed a mod to make rolling for auto success 100% likely for it and lockpick by the end of my first play and never looked back.
I was talking to my friend, who shocked me when he told me that he has never even heard of the bracket trick.

e.g. In this column of text...

.]['//;'/(.......)/''
DESPAIR..!
..:/'"{><<..''''<.
<..>RUMOUR

The (.......) and <..> could be selected to remove dud words / and or replenish your guess allowance.

Atchodas

Augur
New Vegas unmoded is same turd level as unmoded Skyrim, these two games are complete trash when playing vanilla and they can be turned into decent play troughs with 200-300 mods, however it does not change the fact that these games are trash in versions that developers released them. Just because you can heavily mod a game to make it playable does not mean it was not shit in the first place and because of that you had to install 200 mods to salvage it.

Terenty

Liturgist
I dont get this cult of New Vegas on this board, everybody is parroting the same shit after each other.

I played NV before playing Fallout 1. Having heard this game is a worthy successor to Fallout i thought to myself after finishing it "why the fuck is Fallout considered to be this masterpiece if this game(NV) is a complete snorefest. The brothers of steel are boring and dont make sense, the Khans are a bunch of pushovers and their leader is not intimidating at all, etc. Just from a fictional and lore perspective this world is fucking stupid."

Then i decided to play Fallout 1 and became a fan instantly. The writing, the fiction, the factions,the characters, the Glow everything was cool and logical. The premise too, unlike fucking NV.

After that my disdain for Obsidian began as i saw them for what they are, a bunch of talentless hacks.

The end.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The only thing I can say about classic Fallout vs New Vegas is that I can play classic Fallout without mods, and I can't do the same with New Vegas. Then again, classic Fallout has barely any mods available, whereas New Vegas is brimming with them, so it's more of a question of "if classic Fallout had thousands of miles available for download, what would you do?".

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
"if classic Fallout had thousands of miles available for download, what would you do?".
BG2 has a thousand mods, and yet most people play with Tweaks, Bugfixes, AI and occasional NPC romance mod.

That means the game is near perfect.

And FNV is shit, everyone plays with 200+ mods.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
"if classic Fallout had thousands of miles available for download, what would you do?".
BG2 has a thousand mods, and yet most people play with Tweaks, Bugfixes, AI and occasional NPC romance mod.

But what do those "thousand" mods consist of? That's the crux of the matter here. In New Vegas, you have lots of massive gameplay mods that add entirely new features into the game.

jac8awol

Arbiter
A first person shooter will always be an inferior RPG. Melee feels crap, developers railroad your character into action shooter, severely limiting builds and roleplay options. Unbalanced char skill vs player skill. I played a lot of NV, but it was just tolerable, never really clicked. VATS was a shitty bridge between two worlds. Outer Worlds looks like a clown world re-imagining of that. Haven't seen anything that makes me consider buying, even on a steep sale in future.

Quillon

Arcane
People love NV cos of its writing/narrative design, not because they play it with 200 mods and aside from few retards no one plays NV with 200 mods, it is not Skyrim. Most people look for bugfixes and maybe some QoL stuff in mods for NV, they don't look to change the game like they do with Skyrim/FO4.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

I played my first playthough without any mods back in 2015 , i was pretty nice. Completed all dlcs and got the wild card ending. FNV still has the best ending of any game that i played. I really don't get all the sudden hate here when some aspect is better than both Classic Fallouts..

Btw it baffles me how some people dare to say that FNV is trash like Skyrim.
FNV quest design and faction system alone shit on most rpg games to this day , let alone fucking skyrim thats desgined to played forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom