Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1091980/discussions/0/1639794651181262666/

Improved level art: We swept through every level and overhauled the lighting and texturing of our environments. Caith is now more beautiful than ever!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1091980/discussions/0/1639794651181919536/?ctp=3#c1638669204729140572

So one thing for sure there is literally no light based shadows in the game. The option to change Shadow Resolution does nothing at all because there are no shadows in the game. There are some static shadows, which I think is just taxtures that been painted to look like a shadow.

So I am not sure this is so much a downgrade, but more of they need to fix stuff that it is actually working correctly, because there is definetly no shadows in the game at all.

This can't be right.

Gord

Arcane
So... behold the DC in all its glory!

(All OldBT4 pics at high settings, no AA, textures on ultra, all DC pics on Ultra, no AA).

Old version:
GNFQXDu.jpg

New version:
h3ciQdi.jpg

Old version:
IKRWpBo.jpg

New version:
WneAwz8.jpg

Old version:
dujUBPy.jpg

New version:
ttcnj4D.jpg

Skara Brae looks pretty horrible now. Skara Brae below is a mixed bag, but not as bad as Skara Brae above. Still...

A few more pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/AtbtTts

Curratum

Don't mind Carls Barkley. He's just taking screenshots of the old game using none of the patched-in options and sliders, at medium settings, and comparing them to the DC ultra, which apart from the models, STILL looks worse.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Previous to last example, the prior two examples look way better in the new version. Old pic looks like glaucoma vision. New pic looks cartoonier but at least it is crisp and clear and good textures.

The last example looks better in the old version. The house with moss on it went from looking great to looking like a Nintendo game.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Those last two examples look way better in the new version. Old pic looks like glaucoma vision. New pic looks cartoonier but at least it is crisp and clear.

AA in old version was much too blurry, which is why I turned it of. Without AA it was actually a bit too sharp, but I still preferred that. See the comparison pictures I posted earlier. I guess the AA/sharpening might be improved in the DC, but since everything else seems to look much worse, I'm not sure whether that's a good tradeoff...

Curratum

Those last two examples look way better in the new version. Old pic looks like glaucoma vision. New pic looks cartoonier but at least it is crisp and clear.

AA in old version was much too blurry, which is why I turned it of. Without AA it was actually a bit too sharp, but I still preferred that. I guess the AA might be improved in the DC, but since everything else seems to look much worse, I'm not sure whether that's a good tradeoff...

Have you tried the old version with Temporal AA (blurry) but with the Sharpness slider maxed out? This actually produces very decent results.

Gord

Arcane
Have you tried the old version with Temporal AA (blurry) but with the Sharpness slider maxed out? This actually produces very decent results.

Dunno, probably not - but then I finished the game before the last 2 or so major patches dropped, so I'm not sure if it was even possible at the time?

Curratum

Dunno, probably not - but then I finished the game before the last 2 or so major patches dropped, so I'm not sure if it was even possible at the time?

Oh, yeah, the sharpness slider was pretty late.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That's amazing... the game's visuals where the one thing I really liked about the game (apart from the terrible graphics of the first area), yet they spend 1 year destroying it.

Now I want to check the credits, because no fucking way that's the same art director. Looks like the fired the dude that made the original and placed the intern in charge.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
The original is brown, drab, and full of low res textures. The NPCs look terrible.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Directors Cut is bright, vibrant, and sharp. NPC animations and faces received a major overhaul.

3D973F50C9B8CD91E9A752882DF76D431F6EFC49

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some stuff has improved (the sky looks great for example) but don't tell me those buildings don't look like fuckin' gingerbread. Whoever said it looks Unity-y was right. There's a kind of play-doh effect.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Some stuff has improved (the sky looks great for example) but don't tell me those buildings don't look like fuckin' gingerbread.

The Directors Cut looks better because it's not chasing photorealism. Whimsical cartoony graphics will always be in style.

5C71C78DDD4D8508A574127BB6A7D080338A6B14

The original looks like modded Oblivion, and will age just as poorly.

The-Bards-Tale-4-humor.png

m_20181027112643_1.jpg

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bard's Tale IV the Director's Cut: We not only added a "song of exploration" that removes the only exploration present in the game, but we also downgraded the graphics as an added bonus! :happytrollboy:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The Directors Cut looks better because it's not chasing photorealism. Whimsical cartoony graphics will always be in style.
The models are exactly the same, what the fuck are you talking about?

What they did was like those shitty ENB mods, where they just tweak the contrast and saturation. Yes, Skara Brae looks a bit better, before always looked terrible. But every other area I've seen so far lost a lot in quality, especially that fire tunnel that was used back in fucking 2015 to sell the Kickstarter. Yeah, they downgraded something from 2015. And the game STILL suffers from slowdowns in Skara Brae.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Skdursh

Savant
Some of the graphics are way better, some of them are way worse. Now someone talk about gameplay changes.

Gameplay is essentially the same tedious card-battle bullshit. Within a few hours you have the tactics and attacks you'll likely use through the full game. The only draw about the game before was the environments, puzzles and to some people the story, but the gameplay is largely "meh". Not terrible, but not particularly exciting either.

If I ever actually decide to replay this I'll probably just stick to the original version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom