Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not far enough in yet to really pass judgment, but the writing is ten times better than average game writing. Even if it ends up their most meh overall, it's still far above average for the medium.

Disagree. As little as I cared for AC: Odyssey, the writing in it was better than this. AC: Origins was much better. And these are the very definition of average mainstream games.
Like I've said in the past, writing talent in videogames is in AAA right now.
This seems misunderstood, so I'll give some more examples.
AAA writing: Tomb Raider, RDR/2, Witcher 3. I can't testify about AC Origins and Odyssey.
Good-writing-Obsidian: PoE, Deadfire, Tyranny, ToW
inXile: Do I even need to list?

Reinhardt

Arcane
My favorite type of post in this thread is the kind that wants to convince us that we unconsciously LOVE this game and are criticizing it just because we want to complain.

My favorite type of post in this thread is how everybody was promising to "kill all the dykes and SJWs lols", but instead they ended up obediently running small errands for a lesbian couple because they don't want Parvati to be sad.
They did make her the most attractive female character in the game for a reason.
Not very high bar.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey What are Megan's writing credits beyond ToW? Is she the only worthwhile member of the current writing corp at Obsidian? Please share your stalker insights!

One of the great things about Megan is that she's very thorough about her contributions on her website. https://www.fictivate.com/game-design.html

Shipped titles: Tyranny (PC | Single-Player Fantasy CRPG)
Work experience:
  • companion and major, iconic character writing
    • Bleden Mark, Archon of Shadows
    • Kills-in-Shadow, Companion (Beastwoman)
  • regional story writing
  • dialogue, both conversations and voice sets
  • crafting voices (individual, regional, or race specific)
    • created the unique voice and lore of the Beast Tribes
    • helped shape the voice and diction of the Scarlet Chorus and the Earthshakers
  • developing backstory and plot
  • item, area, and creature descriptions
  • short story writing for media purposes

Bleden Mark is a bit too literally "*teleports behind you* nothing personal kid" and people here hate Kills-in-Shadow but I ultimately found her non-offensive. You can tell when you hit a Starks NPC because they're far more twee than usual. Matt MacLean didn't rein her in enough.

Shipped titles: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch | Single-Player Fantasy CRPG)
Work experience:
  • companion and major, iconic character writing
    • companion: Xoti
    • faction heads: Furrante, Aeldys
    • memorable characters:
      • Benweth, Mirke, Yseyr the Berathian, Two-Eyed Pim, Jadaferlas the Ancient, Mad Morena, Lucia Rivan, Bathor Erkon, Brenthís Torega, High Priest Kasu, Master Kua, Waenglith, Selena, Snake-Eyes Condwen, Enoi
      • misc. pirates, slavers, Rathun, Dawnstars, and Huana
  • critical path writing
    • Magran's Teeth / Ashen Maw
  • regional story writing
    • Fort Deadlight, Dunnage, the Gullet & the Narrows, Crookspur, the Undercroft
  • crafting voices (individual, regional, or race specific)
  • factions and con langs
    • PIRATES! (british influence)
    • Vailians (latin/french influence), Hylspeak (scots influence), Rathun (norse influence), Dawnstars (american southern/western influence)
  • romantic relationships
    • Xoti x player (follower to possible lovers)
    • Xoti x Eder (unrequited romantic to possible close friendship)
    • Xoti x Maia (friends to possible lovers)
    • Xoti x Pallegina (nemesis)
    • Xoti x Serafen (friends)
  • dialogue, including conversations, voice sets, and barks
  • story book "choose your own adventure" event writing
  • quest log, bestiary entries, lore books, soul reads, items, ambient life, and examinables
  • voice recording, actor directions

Almost everyone finds Xoti annoying, but Kyl swears by Fort Deadlight. Of course she wrote the infamous, very twee "PS This is not a trap" letter from Aeldys. Sawyer and Patel didn't rein her in enough.

Announced titles: The Outer Worlds (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One | Single-Player Sci-Fi RPG)
Work experience:
  • managed a team of game designers and writers to implement core features such as:
    • the critical path/main storyline content
    • companions
    • player ship
    • Phineas' orbital lab
    • voice sets
  • designed and wrote
    • companions
    • iconic, main characters
    • area content and regional storylines
    • quests, computer terminals, examinables / journals, items, and decor descriptions
  • oversaw voice recording and character casting
  • created marketing materials, ad copy, and trailer scripts
  • participated in pr and community outreach
  • more to be added!

Seems to be Boyarsky's favorite, apparently the first lead to rein her in.

Last edited:

biggestboss

Liturgist
Megan Starks did literally nothing wrong
TFD4owH.jpg

biggestboss

Liturgist
I've restarted this game like 4 times and haven't even met a companion yet. I don't even know why I'm so hung up on character creation considering the game seems to go out of its way to make sure every build can do everything in every situation, or maybe that just applies to the beginning quests. Also it doesn't help that all the character's faces and writing are horrible.

My favorite type of post in this thread is how everybody was promising to "kill all the dykes and SJWs lols", but instead they ended up obediently running small errands for a lesbian couple because they don't want Parvati to be sad.
Lol. 131 dead bodies disagree with you. Admittedly i did all that for absurdity's sake and the novelty of RP as a psychopath.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My favorite type of post in this thread is the kind that wants to convince us that we unconsciously LOVE this game and are criticizing it just because we want to complain.

parvati is a precious bun that must be protected

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Played it for few hours, and damn, this game is so soulless. What's even worse, it's mediocrity is probably finely targeted to the mediocre gamer and all the FNVtards will probably make it into a financial success.

Character stats are as generous as they are worthless, higher values just scale bonus %, so there's virtually nothing significantly lost from not maxing one stat or the other, not to mention having enough points to have 3 of 6 at good, and the other 3 at average anyways. There's virtually no reason to go for physical stats, since even things like Intelligence have corresponding weapon skills.

Skills have some unlockable bonuses, but again, those are mostly fluff and nothing consequential that would make the player miss anything, and even the speech skills aren't an investment, since they give combat bonuses as well. Oh, and companions add their skills to the player, in case there was a chance of missing something.

Perks are so dull, that the first I even picked was increased carry weight to haul all the trash. Go figure.

That said, the entire stat system is a major smoke screen, that is set in place to feel RPG-ish, yet it's irrelevant to a point there's no point in any buildcraft.

Visuals are ok technically, over saturated an uninspired. Conceptually it feels heavily ripped off from Prey's art deco futurism with a splash of generic NMS critters and some surprisingly good Bioshock ingame art.

Sound is ok, the music is forgettable, but voice acting is decent, guns go bang, the usual stuff, nothing fancy.

Even on medium difficulty enemies are bullet sponges, while companions are squishy, which combined with piss poor AI makes both parties either charge into gunfire or just stand there and spray damage until one of them dies. Effectively every combat encounter boils to a race to kill off everyone before they kill your companions. Combat stats don't matter much, since you can pretty much use anything you want, and enemies are exploitable beyond belief. Plus you have bullet time, because bullet time was hip... 10 years ago.

Itemization is one of the worst I've ever seen, even despite weapons being quite nice. Said weapons & armor can be cranked up for money MMO style, modded, sold or scrapped. Scrapped because there's a deterioration mechanic, and it eats through your gear like sulfuric acid, but still, those are the good parts. The bad part is everything else. There are proverbial "nooks and crannies" here as if picked from a popamole checklist, supposedly enticing exploration, but the sheer amount of boxes and containers everywhere else is so abundant it's actually hard to miss them. There's a stealing mechanic, but it's mostly irrelevant, as NPC only care for things in front of them, and don't mind you waltzing in into their private quarters looting everything that's not nailed down, meaning 95% of stuff lying around. But despite the constant loot shower, the whole problem lies in fact there's barely anything worth finding. All the random stuff gets automatically bunched into junk you don't even have to look at, and the useful stuff is streamlined to a point where game barely has anything interesting to give, so you just get shitloads of consumables, tons of ammo an multiple copies of identical weapons and armor. I can't remember a game that made me so completely uninterested in stuff I find.

Lastly there's NPCs. That's pretty much what makes the game feel so absolutely synthetic like a Zuckerberg dream. Only a few of them actually move, most of them just stand there day in and out like creepy mannequins repeating same boring SNES era one liners over and over again, emphasizing their uniqueness with names like "Resident". The talkable ones, have some (mostly 1-3, sometimes more) lines that can be delivered, some requiring skill tests, but being fully voice acted, most lines are really concise, and dialogue takes a rather hilarious turn where having appropriate skill makes ridiculous responses like "I'm the security inspector" magically solve problems like a Jedi mind trick. Those few that actually have a dialogue tree, mostly deliver some uninspired reddit grade fluff, that at it's best made me smirk.

Lastly, quests. The best try to push some hard C&C but it's completely forced. Sure it's nice that some of them make you pick between lesser evil, but often there's really no good reason for set resolutions. The writing is nothing special either, since majority of dilemmas are a choice between caricaturally bad corporations and mildly reasonable alternatives. Aaaand the remaining 70% are fetch quests. Bring me medicine, kill that robot, find a book.

It's a colorful, RPG-themed shooting gallery with bots delivering reddit lines trying to mimic humans like Weizenbaum's Eliza.

Last edited:

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why couldn't they just have made a better New Vegas

why is this game so short
Because like most good games New Vegas was a lightning in a bottle. A few talented but flawed people came together and managed to cancel out each others creative deficiencies. Sadly, these dynamics never last, which is why half of the people responsible for New Vegas don't even work at Obsidian anymore and the other half seems to be determined to crawl right up their own ass.
But even if these people got together again they wouldn't be able to make another New Vegas. It was a product of its time, when politics were something people in Washington were busy with, not a popular way to spice up your twitter feed. Just imagine a modern day take on Mr House or Legion.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
why couldn't they just have made a better New Vegas

why is this game so short

Unlike New Vegas, they had to make everything from scratch. This is how we end up with a Dragon Age Inquisition-esque world. Bethesda gets a great deal of benefit from reusing everything they've put into Bethbryo (e.g. look at Morrowind).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom