Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Mortmal

Arcane
Btw funny how codexers shit on this game but every other thread on codex pretty much dead for last few days.
Shoutbox is dead too.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw funny how codexers shit on this game but every other thread on codex pretty much dead for last few days.
oh no, the peoples of forum called fucking roleplaying game game codex want to know about game directed by FALLOUT leads of ex fuckin TROIKA, by OBSIDIAN jesus
so funny and retarded
wait, it's not funny.

It has been said several times in this thread: If you want to criticize the game, do it properly. So far the Codex has been doing a very poor job at that imho.
Or you will summon critic police?

Theldaran

Liturgist
xnVHhAx.png

So these are the writing giants behind TOW and PoE? Suddenly it all makes sense.

POE1 was written by different people, it was a mess in a different way -too presumptuous. Remember how POE1 didn't have romances, that fact doesn't compute with these fanfiction-level gals.

I was kinda expecting Obsidian to deliver another mass-oriented, insipid game, what was the last game by them that didn't suck balls? And we can only expect worse from now on. Obsidian is the new poor man's Bethesda. Tremendous slam dunk, Feargus!

Dexter

Arcane
I was kinda expecting Obsidian to deliver another mass-oriented, insipid game, what was the last game by them that didn't suck balls? And we can only expect worse from now on. Obsidian is the new poor man's Bethesda. Tremendous slam dunk, Feargus!
Remember this was their last "Independent" project anyway. They've been acquired by Microsoft and are a subsidiary of Microsoft now as a part of Microsoft Studios. Ultimately their next project(s) are going to be Greenlit and fully funded by Microsoft with their Next console generation (and audience) in mind, and they may either stay hands-off or go hands-on depending on how well they turn out in-development or do commercially.

Quillon

Arcane
It feels like VO budget was a serious concern; even the faction heads have about 2 sentences to convey about their recent history. Normally in an Obsidian game they'd go on and on about themselves with big chunks of lore dump all over, in light of that this could have been a good thing if they could've actually fleshed out the characters but alas.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't care one bit about the number of pronouns the writers use or how they cut and dye their hair, but looking at some videos I see that this game continues the trend of having myriad dialogue "checks" that do and mean precisely fuck all (well, ok - in this game the skill checks give a bit of xp at least). The fact that after two PoE trainwrecks they still think this is some sort of clever crpg design probably tells me more about this game than anything else I've read or seen.

Also, this dialogue tree:

- Do you know about Hope?
- The colony ship? Yes, it's a local legend.
- It's not a legend!
- I'm pretty sure it's a legend!
- No! I'm from that ship.
- Fuck off, retard.
- OK.

It seems like every talkable npc has it with wording slightly changed and without any context or it ever leading to anything. Positively bizarre.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
My favorite type of post in this thread is the kind that wants to convince us that we unconsciously LOVE this game and are criticizing it just because we want to complain.

My favorite type of post in this thread is how everybody was promising to "kill all the dykes and SJWs lols", but instead they ended up obediently running small errands for a lesbian couple because they don't want Parvati to be sad.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
My favorite type of post in this thread is the kind that wants to convince us that we unconsciously LOVE this game and are criticizing it just because we want to complain.

My favorite type of post in this thread is how everybody was promising to "kill all the dykes and SJWs lols", but instead they ended up obediently running small errands for a lesbian couple because they don't want Parvati to be sad.
They did make her the most attractive female character in the game for a reason
rating_lulz.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom