Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Scroll of Taiwu, a Chinese Wuxia Simulator / Roguelike RPG

Interested in this?

• Yes!

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • NO!

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • We'll see...

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • decline

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

benzine

Novice
Sup guys, I'm here to promote a true incline of 2018.
A Wuxia Roguelike CRPG.

It's like Chinese Wuxia cross bred with NEO Scavenger and some base-building resource-gathering game [Quick, someone name some shit]

https://store.steampowered.com/app/838350/_/
ss_c2234e4ac19c7b4541bcf4f8996cc859e25af9f4.1920x1080.jpg

This is not the traditional ARPG / JRPG Wuxia stuff that you've seen in the past few years, it's basically a sandbox game with RNG events and characters with the only premise being defeating the Final Boss.

So how many of you are interested in this INCLINE?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I know that China is huuuuge, but I still can't get my head around the fact this small indie roguelike that only supports Chinese is the best seller and one of the top-played game on Steam.

Also to Valve guy's surprise:

Based on OP's LP this looks like a game that Codex people might like, possibly inclined.

What's the story behind this? Did the dev team were already popular among Chinese gamers? Or did they really good at marketing in China? Are there more of this kind of interesting games secretly brewing in China?

Anyway, I'm looking forward this to get a (good) English localization!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
???

I got no user reviews. Did I forget to equip the ring?

Codex Year of the Donut
I know that China is huuuuge, but I still can't get my head around the fact this small indie roguelike that only supports Chinese is the best seller and one of the top-played game on Steam.

Also to Valve guy's surprise:

Based on OP's LP this looks like a game that Codex people might like, possibly inclined.

What's the story behind this? Did the dev team were already popular among Chinese gamers? Or did they really good at marketing in China? Are there more of this kind of interesting games secretly brewing in China?

Anyway, I'm looking forward this to get a (good) English localization!

Each chinese game purchase is only worth like 1/5th of a USA/Australian/EU/etc purchase. Less impressive when you remember that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
???

I got no user reviews. Did I forget to equip the ring?

Looks like it's glitch, same for all other games.

Each chinese game purchase is only worth like 1/5th of a USA/Australian/EU/etc purchase. Less impressive when you remember that.

Steam top seller list is by revenues not by copies sold, so I think it's more impressive when cheap games getting on the top seller over more expensive and well-publicized games.

Also I see this game is about $10 in China while $20 in US.

laclongquan

Arcane
I find this is a model sample of niche game developers. They know their audience (chinese who play obscure shits like this) so they aim precisely at that target audience, with no regarding at all for the rest.

Tthey are professional a heck of a lot more than those artist game developers we have nowadays.

Jinn

Arcane
Latro mustawd.

Thanks for thinking of me guys, but I'd rather play this with a comprehensive translation, as it's a game I am very much so looking forward to. Will wait for a more fleshed out fan-translation or a professional one. Also, from talking with some Chinese speaking friends, seems the game is fairly far from actually being finished. Looks fucking awesome though.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's still in early access, and the development team(of 5 people total) are still adding new features and stories into it. According to the devs, the game has only around one third of the planned content at the moment.

However it will be hard to translate it into English. The UI related stuff migiht be easy, but the writing of the game is very different from the normal language Chinese uses in daily life. It's more of a specific writing style used on a specific novle genre(Wu Xia), and the genre is only popular in Asia, mainly China and Japan.

Jinn

Arcane
It's still in early access, and the development team(of 5 people total) are still adding new features and stories into it. According to the devs, the game has only around one third of the planned content at the moment.

However it will be hard to translate it into English. The UI related stuff migiht be easy, but the writing of the game is very different from the normal language Chinese uses in daily life. It's more of a specific writing style used on a specific novle genre(Wu Xia), and the genre is only popular in Asia, mainly China and Japan.

This is what a lot of Chinese people tend to repeat over and over on the steam forums about pretty much every Wuxia game released. Clearly it's going to be difficult but

a.) Chinese developers seem to focus on the Wuxia setting a LOT, which is awesome, but if they want to sell their games to a western market they need to start somewhere

And

b.) Western people who are interested in these games and the Wuxia genre in general are going to be willing to learn some obscure termonology. It comes with the territory of cultural translation.

Either way, seems like it wouldn't be so hard to find competent translators who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg for their services in China/Taiwan anyway.

Regardless, I'll either play it when it is translated well enough or not at all.

Last edited:

Yeah but there have been multiple very good fan translations of wuxia novels into english. so it can clearly be done.

RWX and Deathblade from wuxiaworld.com come to mind.

jf8350143

Liturgist

This is what a lot of Chinese people tend to repeat over and over on the steam forums about pretty much every Wuxia game released. Clearly it's going to be difficult but

a.) Chinese developers seem to focus on the Wuxia setting a LOT, which is awesome, but if they want to sell their games to a western market they need to start somewhere

And

b.) Western people who are interested in these games and the Wuxia genre in general are going to be willing to learn some obscure termonology. It comes with the territory of cultural translation.

Either way, seems like it wouldn't be so hard to find competent translators who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg for their services in China/Taiwan anyway.

Regardless, I'll either play it when it is translated well enough or not at all.

I agree, more game should be translated into more languages period. But like I said, the game has only 5 developers, and one of them is doing all the writing and coding of the game. Localization is not very high on their priority list. It's not even about the money, you have to have the time to do those things.

It's a bummer really, since those big companies didn't even bother to attract foreign consumers, they just keep making games that are basically medicore JRPG, while the smaller team didn't have the resources to do so.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think the problem is Chinese really, really don't want to pay anyone to translate their games into other languages professionally. Even most Chinese games that have popped up on Steam have English translations which are more often than not just notch above a machine job that someone with tenuous grasp of the language edited afterwards. If any western dev did such a poor job they would get crucified for it or it would at least become a notable mark against the game. For example, Ash of Gods underwent and is still undergoing re-writes of the English script because it ended up being such a sticking point.

laclongquan

Arcane
Wu-xia style of writings are bloody hard to translate into English. Lord of The Ring, Tolkienesque is close enough method, but not quite. Wheel of Time in Robert Jordan's hands is also an english analog, specifically the part about sword feel, and Borderland's etiquette.

To do a proper job of it, you need a Translator raised in Chinese-influenced culture, read a fuck of a lot wuxia novels in formative years (13-23 age, and 300 books for a start) to get an instinctive feel for the style. Then that sucker are going to read a fuck of a lot English fantasy novels, half of them in medieval/ancient setting just to get a feel for the language compatibility.

And even then a fuckload is going to lose in translation.

Last edited:

getter77

Augur
I have some general optimism in the timing of the rise of these games on Steam and the budding Donghua scene coinciding so as to draw more attention and cultivate more talent. One of these is bound to break out in a big way, and the odds for such are only increasing of late given the rising momentum in quality and sophistication as they get to tap into more of the raw ambition.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom