Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #3: ZIETS ZIETS ZIETS

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    Emotional vampire!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. winterraptor Cipher

winterraptor
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    [​IMG]

Fuck, RPG book covers look like a goddamned movie poster now?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. FrancoTAU Liturgist

FrancoTAU
    I'll up my pledge if the next stretch goal is licensing the Space Jam theme song.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Told you, fuckers. 13 levels of story to unlock! Find secret doors in walls of text! :ohgoditsheaven:

^ Top  
  5. ironyuri Guest

ironyuri
    Colin McComb is like the storyfag's Josh Sawyer.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. winterraptor Cipher

winterraptor
    2 mil reached. Comments section will be filled with repetition of this statement in more excited 'tones' for hours.

^ Top  
  7. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Stretch Goal should be first. Go ask any business for a job and tell them that people donated x-million just to have your name attached to a project. Pretty impressive.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I'm sad, not because of the composition -- which is what it is -- but because somehow this has like a tiny fraction of the character of the concept art used in the Kickstarter (one of the first Kickstarters I backed, if not the first). I guess as you add detail, you lose mystery. But this could easily just be, like, an Anne McCaffrey cover from the early 90s or a Bioware game box or something. I have nothing against that style of art, but it's something very concrete and almost adolescent. By contrast, this was the main picture they teased during the Kickstarter campaign:

[​IMG]

Similar elements: the same huge numenera / monolith, a man, a beast, some ruins. But this, to me, just feels a lot more mature, and not in the sense of God of War or something. More in the sense of a Jack Vance pulp -- which, for all its fun and zest will tend to have a lot of complexity going on -- or a Gene Wolfe novel.

Meh. I'm just grumpy, I guess.

--EDIT--

Incidentally, the concept art they're teasing for Torment seems more in line with the old Numenera visuals, so I'm happy in that regard!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Much as I'm still butthertz about inXile starting this before WL2 is out, one has to wonder if all these RPG kickstarters getting millions in days from preorders based on a partial design doc alone might convince the suits there's a market for decent PC CRPGs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    It won't. Those guys are incredibly out of touch and only interested in home runs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    I feel like their take-away is only one step removed from the satirical take Fargo is doing in these videos.

"Okay, so these guys like old-fashioned RPGs, like Mass Effect! Let's do a first person RPG with combat like XCOM, only in real time, because that sells more. We'll hire that Garriot guy, he's well-respected, right?"

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. winterraptor Cipher

winterraptor
    That's more the sort of vague mystery I would want of a PnP RPG cover. Granted that's 'concept art' level so something just a bit more refined, but along those lines. Not as though it were trying to pitch me a specific scenario like a movie does.

Maybe, but that's everyone here.

Good to know. I dig them more than that fucked-ass cover, that's for sure.

^ Top  
  13. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Wait...seriously? So you're just as oblivious as the people in the comments section? Heyyyy, are you the kid in the limo in that video?

:declining:

^ Top  
  14. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    I'd rather wish they concentrated on the game's writing than on all those novellas and Let's Plays. Stretch goals that aren't directly connected to the game don't do it for me but whatever.

Confirmed Ziets is major incline, even if it's not fulltime. Great news.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    Word. I'm giving money for a video game, not a bunch of books about a video game.

^ Top  
  16. likaq Arcane

likaq
    Now it is time for Brian Mitsoda stretch goal :)

^ Top  
  17. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Yeah, me too! And now I'm REALLY interested and hyped. :D

:bro:

^ Top  
  18. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    You better pray to God that it doesn't, you cunt. For the corporate cock is too thick for your fleshy walls.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bony Learned Queued

Bony
    Torment Numenera: Best storyfag game without gameplay (aka go read a book)
    Wasteland 2 : Best jagged alliance/fallout gameplay with shit story (aka go play xcom)

+M

^ Top  
  20. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    I'd be fine with that.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. grdja Scholar

grdja
    About "convincing the suits". Won't happen, and not because they are out of touch. It won't happen because they are in it for the money and nothing else.

Invest $100 mil in a AAA title, and you could see $100 mil profit if you sell well (say over 5 million sold in first couple of months). That is both insane ROI and simply a shit load of money. If you invested $5mil in a niche game you'd have to sell 250,000 copies to make same ROI, only earning you couple million bucks. There is a market to push out one AAA every 4-5 months. To get same income from non popamolle games you'd have to push out 20 of those in same time frame. And since you don't own infinite slaves (devs) you can produce only fixed amount of games, so you send your slaves to work on AAA titles that can bring in boat loads of cash.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Tical Arcane

Tical
    So CMcC is a fellow Michigander? Hope you put aside your Torment work this weekend when the Wolverines play Indiana.

^ Top  
  23. Wizfall Arbiter

Wizfall
    It's great to see the campaign going so well.
    Not exited about live orchestra though (must cost a bunch of money) and absolutely not convinced by Tony Evans (a DA writer for Torment is a shame and NWN 2 campaign was awfull).
    Ziets is good news indeed.

^ Top  
  24. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Except for his respect of the legacy his own work is based upon.

^ Top  
  25. Stinger Arcane

Stinger
    Tony Evans' formspring clearly shows he only wrote a small amount for DA2 and generally just did grunt work on that game. He was also involved in Kotor 2, MotB and lead designer of SoZ.

Kotor 2 and MotB are great from a story perspective and SoZ is great from a gameplay perspective (though the story is pretty barebones), honestly it doesn't sound as bad as you're suggesting.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)