Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

Diablo169

Arcane
It's hardly the second coming of christ, i found it to be an enjoyable journey presented really well in a great setting. The game play itself was nothing special and it's a testament to how mediocre story based FPS's are these days that everyone is sucking the games dick.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's hardly the second coming of christ, i found it to be an enjoyable journey presented really well in a great setting. The game play itself was nothing special and it's a testament to how mediocre story based FPS's are these days that everyone is sucking the games dick.

Pretty much.

The combat is pretty good compared to modern shit. Jumping from skyrail to skyrail while stopping to snipe in-between and then shocking and shotgunning fools on the ground can be a fun time at the movies, as they say. It also looks great, Disney World design through and through.

It's not the golden age of FPS games back again, nor is it some new innovation, but only the edgiest butt-hurt can claim there's nothing here of value compared to most other mainstream games today.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Yeah it's pretty good, really. It's overhyped as hell but it's not a turd. I liked the skyrail executions too, and even if the enemies are dumb as fuck they use them pretty well.

MapMan

Arcane
This game is as exciting and thrilling as the first bioshock. Waste of a good setting, just imagine some kind of adventure or mystery game in the city! Played it for like an hour now and probably will never return again. Just boring, like all the bioshocks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People trashing this game and those saying it is better than awesome button should both re-examine, re-re-re-re-examine their priorities, and draw new conclusions.

It's mediocre. And the Codex needs a purging of anyone who even fucking played it, let alone bought it.*

*Excluding my bros MHC and Bruticis because they know not what they do.

aris

Arcane
People trashing this game and those saying it is better than awesome button should both re-examine, re-re-re-re-examine their priorities, and draw new conclusions.

It's mediocre. And the Codex needs a purging of anyone who even fucking played it, let alone bought it.*

You go HipsterMetro(sexual?)!

By the way, any tips on beating the last fight? (fleet must survive). I've been retrying it 6 times, and I still haven't figured out a strategy to be able to beat this. skacky ?

grdja

Augur
[quote="DalekFlay, post: 2570611, member: 12426]"but only the edgiest butt-hurt can claim there's nothing here of value compared to most other mainstream games today.[/quote]

Barely anyone says game has nothing of value. The question whether the game is any good is not really the question anyone is asking. There are worse AAA turds that sold more. But the fan and media reception of latest Bioturd. Dear god. Friction line of tectonic force is mindless masses and payed whores (journalists) talking about Bioshock:Inf being THE BEST THING EVER PERIOD. Not just best game ever but redefinition that escapes boundaries of videogame and is one of bestestest anything ever.

We know very well that Bioshock and Bioshock:Inf cant hold a candle to SS2. Sure Inf could actually be a better shooter than SS2. Not strange since SS2 was a actiony fpsy RPG.

And yet it (BS:INF) is greater than second coming of Christ.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

By the way, any tips on beating the last fight? (fleet must survive). I've been retrying it 6 times, and I still haven't figured out a strategy to be able to beat this. skacky ?

Little surprise the two most posted on threads by you are this and Diablow 3?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer

Take a sniper rifle asap. Get Songbird to attack the barges as a priority and shoot everyone who's coming on board in the head, and don't forget to loot them. When the patriots arrive, tell Songbird to kill them. Don't panic if you see the core is getting attacked, it has a lot of hit points. Repeat and keep shooting the goons in the head. They are tasked with firing at the core and not at you, so use this to your advantage. It's a matter of patience but it's not too complicated. If you're completely out of ammo (this shouldn't happen normally) you can die and you'll spawn with more, which is useful.

Gelbvieh

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh well, all done. It's like a beautiful park with Ken Levine sitting in the trees, wanking off onto people passing under. Loved wandering through, not sure why people are raving about the cum.

aris

Arcane

Take a sniper rifle asap. Get Songbird to attack the barges as a priority and shoot everyone who's coming on board in the head, and don't forget to loot them. When the patriots arrive, tell Songbird to kill them. Don't panic if you see the core is getting attacked, it has a lot of hit points. Repeat and keep shooting the goons in the head. They are tasked with firing at the core and not at you, so use this to your advantage. It's a matter of patience but it's not too complicated. If you're completely out of ammo (this shouldn't happen normally) you can die and you'll spawn with more, which is useful.
Well, the problem is that the patriots respawn infinitely as long as you don't take down the zeppelins that come, which gives them precious time to shoot at the core, and they are almost impossible to take out without songbird too... So how do you suggest I proceed with that matter?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
You should use the Undertow vigor. Hold the key and get one of them to you. It'll be stuck for a few seconds, so shoot the fucker in the gears. When he's coming back to his senses do it again until he's dead, and do the same with the other. You should use Undertow very quickly because the patriot will bash your face almost instantaneously when the effect wears off. You should use a powerful weapon like the handcannon to do that. A repeater is pretty good too.

Multi-headed Cow

No, what's her face came to Rapture with her powerz and stole teh technology or some bull shit.
Probably.
I wondered about this, but it would have to be an alternate dimension Rapture because people aren't getting the plasmid shakes in Colombia. So the plasmids are stable. Either that or 1912 dimension hopping Colombia has more advanced scientists than 1950s Rapture supposedly built around the greatest minds of the time with limitless resources and SCIENCE!!!

Haven't found an actual in-game explanation, other than Fink is using the tears to pilfer shit from other times/dimensions. I guess we're just supposed to assume it's from a stable Rapture.

Pish posh bro. I play a hell of a lot (A HELL of a lot) of worse modern shooters than this. Off the top of my head from recent memory, the Darkness 2 and Syndicate. Both games had worse stories/less interesting settings, worse gameplay (Syndicate is almost exactly the same from the beginning as it is at the end. Not really any new weapons or enemies. Darkness 2 doesn't quite have that issue, it's just that what it does have is so boring and half-assed feeling), certainly worse eyecandy, worse level design (All three are pretty linear but Infinite has more secrets and better "Arenas" for large fights), etc etc.

It's not exactly high praise saying Infinite's better than those, and I'm certainly not saying it's the second coming of Doom, but for a modern shooter it's pretty good much like Bioshock 1 and 2. And for monocled gentlemen such as yourself who didn't enjoy either of those there definitely isn't anything in Infinite that would change your mind. I've got a fairly high tolerance for shooters though. And most games really, but that's a whole different mess.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Oh well, all done. It's like a beautiful park with Ken Levine sitting in the trees, wanking off onto people passing under. Loved wandering through, not sure why people are raving about the cum.

It's because he eats pineapples the day before he blows his load. Makes things taste sweeter... or so I've been told.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Barely anyone says game has nothing of value. The question whether the game is any good is not really the question anyone is asking. There are worse AAA turds that sold more. But the fan and media reception of latest Bioturd. Dear god. Friction line of tectonic force is mindless masses and payed whores (journalists) talking about Bioshock:Inf being THE BEST THING EVER PERIOD. Not just best game ever but redefinition that escapes boundaries of videogame and is one of bestestest anything ever.

We know very well that Bioshock and Bioshock:Inf cant hold a candle to SS2. Sure Inf could actually be a better shooter than SS2. Not strange since SS2 was a actiony fpsy RPG.

And yet it (BS:INF) is greater than second coming of Christ.

system shock 2 is a dated piece of shit

awful clunky mechanics, terrible animations, terrible graphics, bad voice acting and passable story, stop being a try hard

Multi-headed Cow

it's pretty good much like Bioshock 1 and 2.

OK so basically it's yet another shitty modern console FPS#908347593845? Got it. :salute:
That's what basically everyone who's played it has been saying. Can't recall if Skacky directly held it against the earlier games or not when he said it was pretty decent on 1999 mode, but yeah. I thought Bioshocks 1 and 2 were fun on hard if you ignored the vita chambers and reloaded if you got kiilled. Been using Elizabeth-chamber in Infinite since it has a money cost and money's a fairly important resource in Infinite. Sorta both currency and XP, since weapon and plasmid upgrades are both tied to it. Still nowhere near as difficult or as much of a scrounging game as System Shock 1 or 2 but the light scrounging combined with the decent gunplay's quite alright.

But as mentioned if you didn't like Bioshock 1 or 2 there's certainly nothing to make you like Infinite. I also agree with everyone saying it'd make a more interesting setting for an adventure game or RPG. I thought the same thing about Rapture in Bioshock 1 and 2. In fact, the time travel and dimension jumping nonsense in Infinite would work even better for an RPG than in Rapture. I'd like a good time traveling RPG, and Chrono Tigger doesn't fucking count. Goddamn JRPGs that aren't PST are all shit.*

:rpgcodex:

*Still haven't played Anachronox. Maybe that one is ok. I'll give it a whirl eventually, I remember thinking it looked interesting when I played the demo sometime around when it was released and then I never bought it for some reason. Dark Souls also doesn't count as a JRPG, it's an honorary WRPG because it's good. Or it's an action game. However you classify it it's not a JRPG.

aris

Arcane
Holy shit. I think I've played the final battle at least 30 times now, and every single time I loose :( I think I've come incredibly close too, but some streak of unluckiness has prevented med from winning the battle. I'm this close to giving up :( Using undertow didn't help for me.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Initial impressions (not even past the intro part):
  • This game is very pretty and level design, visually, is smart. But god damn, that bloom... too much.
  • The sheer amount of art assets and time/detail put into everything is phenomenal, no wonder this game was so goddamn expensive to make and took so long in development.
  • Mouse lag is horrendous.
  • Performance on my PC is not so good. Sluggish framerate, though I'm not sure if that is lack of optimization or just the fact that it does really push things visually.
  • Highest possible FOV still feels really small, like 75 or so. Blech.
  • Menus are terrible, I do not want to spend 5 seconds between each and every screen.
  • Sprinting feels weird, it should be a hold in a PC game like this, not a toggle.
  • Serious, serious Half-Life 2 flashbacks going on here. It's literally just Valve's playbook copy-pasted into a different setting.
  • The writing is good but the way they beat you over the head with the same 3 ideas (COMSTOCK! FOUNDING FATHERS! VOX POPULI!) so the morons won't forget is annoying.
  • Also, who wants to bet that Elizabeth ends up being sacrificed in some sort of plot by Comstock to wipe out the sin on the surface world (as seen in that invasion over New York dream sequence), effectively becoming a Jesus Christ figure? Seriously, if that's it I'm gonna laugh my ass off, the amount of foreshadowing and allusion is laid on so heavy that I can see it already. Bonus points if she gets crucified at the end of the game. If this is their big twist, their "games are art" meaningful story then they really must think their entire audience is moronic. And Ken Levine is a hack of George Lucas proportions.
  • Wait so why is everyone in this giant floating city an insane cultist? Are they all fucking morons?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
played bioshock 2 while not removing legitimately acquiring my copy of infinite. if there ever will be a bundle with all three games in it, they should give it the tagline "prepare for the worst execution of neat ideas ever witnessed by man". making them shooters was the first mistake. starting the game after every event of interest in rapture already happened the second. having the characters in the first two being voiceless automatons that can only communicate by either bashing something until it stops moving, or gently laying his hand on it the third. implementing a EXTREME-morality system with the only choices being: worse than stalin, or: everyday normal guy was the forth. actually wanking itself until its dick is raw and bloody by incorporating the voiceless automaton protagonist into the plot the fifth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom