Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ok, let me answer this as I run a very similar build right now, level 14 currently and doing fine.
:bro:

Feats: Snooping is just a decoration, if you drop Perc to 3, drop this feat too as secret passages and doors are cool to find and make use of, but with low perc this feat is a bit of a waste.
I believe that it was said that with 8 perception you can get to almost all secret areas, so 4 per +1 from goggles +3 from snooping = 8. But it seems that secret areas aren't that great anyway, so I might drop that one and gain that extra dex.

What do you think about the opportunist feat? Will I get many opportunities to stun the opponent and use this feat? And is it a good idea to waste an action for stunning instead of hitting, because it doesn't seem that any of the knife feats have any incapacitating effects that can make the opportunist feat instantly effective.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Ok, let me answer this as I run a very similar build right now, level 14 currently and doing fine.
:bro:

Feats: Snooping is just a decoration, if you drop Perc to 3, drop this feat too as secret passages and doors are cool to find and make use of, but with low perc this feat is a bit of a waste.
I believe that it was said that with 8 perception you can get to almost all secret areas, so 4 per +1 from goggles +3 from snooping = 8. But it seems that secret areas aren't that great anyway, so I might drop that one and gain that extra dex.

What do you think about the opportunist feat? Will I get many opportunities to stun the opponent and use this feat? And is it a good idea to waste an action for stunning instead of hitting, because it doesn't seem that any of the knife feats have any incapacitating effects that can make the opportunist feat instantly effective.
Opportunist is pretty nice. You could maybe use it with combination with Dirty Kick if you have feats to spare. Thats 25% increased damage, nothing to sneeze at.
Also, Knife build can use Cheap shots that have 15% chance to incapacitate a dude for one turn so here you have instant syngergy with Opportunist.
And Cheap shots is kinda great if you want to cheese a bit in 1v1 fights, just stab a dude until he is incapacitated, end turn, stab again until incapacitated, with 6+ attacks per turn, you can perma stun them this way. Just remember that any hit after the dude is incapacitated will remove the effect so if you incapacitate him and then hit him again in the same turn, he will attack you just normal. Thats why you end turn after incapacitation him.
Cheap shots can also be used to incapacitate one dude, and stab his friend and fun like that.

Tigranes

Arcane
So my unarmed/psi guy has done a fair few quests in Core City - several of the faction ones, and making Gorsky happy - and have also looked around the Foundry, and many parts of lower Underrail.

I have to say, the game starts to get a bit long in the tooth right now - even though I'm itching to roll a new character, so it's not about fatigue with the game as a whole.

I just feel like when you reach level 10, 12 or such, your character archetype is set, you've got all the major equipment types, you've got a lot of psi powers, you've seen a lot of the enemies, and you're just rinsing and repeating the same types of encounters.

The quests and writing have always been mostly boring as hell (there are some bright lights, like Evelyn, and some terrible MMO fetchy shit, like how Lost Train is handled for talking to the Protectorate), so I wasn't really terribly excited to discover the Foundry or whatever.

I can trust the level design to still be great, but what does the later game hold? Are there interesting ways in which the combat challenges evolve, via new equipment or whatever? Ironically, although early game features some tedious linear questing, the core gameplay seemed to be more fun when my character was still looking forward to the next level and the next locker.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So my unarmed/psi guy has done a fair few quests in Core City - several of the faction ones, and making Gorsky happy - and have also looked around the Foundry, and many parts of lower Underrail.

I have to say, the game starts to get a bit long in the tooth right now - even though I'm itching to roll a new character, so it's not about fatigue with the game as a whole.

I just feel like when you reach level 10, 12 or such, your character archetype is set, you've got all the major equipment types, you've got a lot of psi powers, you've seen a lot of the enemies, and you're just rinsing and repeating the same types of encounters.

The quests and writing have always been mostly boring as hell (there are some bright lights, like Evelyn, and some terrible MMO fetchy shit, like how Lost Train is handled for talking to the Protectorate), so I wasn't really terribly excited to discover the Foundry or whatever.

I can trust the level design to still be great, but what does the later game hold? Are there interesting ways in which the combat challenges evolve, via new equipment or whatever? Ironically, although early game features some tedious linear questing, the core gameplay seemed to be more fun when my character was still looking forward to the next level and the next locker.

University perhaps? Or maybe take a break :D

bati

Scholar

This seems to be very build specific. I felt somewhat like you on my psion but my crossbow guy is a completely different story. I'm lvl 17 now and I still got some cool feats ahead of me and plenty of chances to upgrade my weapon and other gear if I find good base materials in shops. With psion I just watched my damage on spells slowly creep up as I put more points into psi trees. I did find some psi imprints but the spells I got from them turned out to be less useful than the ones I've had from the start.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've played several characters up to Core City back in early access, and I also look at the feat list, and it doesn't seem hugely different - but we'll see how my next guy fares, you could be right.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
While what epeli says is generally true, all psi mentors have at least one static location. This doesn't mean you found those static locations, though, you might have just gotten them randomly.

Thank you, i hope some lists will appear on Internet in future, hate to miss good spells.

desocupado

Magister
Dudes, I've made a character with
7 str
4 dex
3 agi
7 con
9 per
3 will
7 int

Pumped guns, throwing, hacking, lockpicking and 4 of the crafting skills

I'm playing on hard, and I'm REALLY having a hard time. I'm at Depot A, and I can't continue. My char has 157 hp, a dog takes 50 hp a turn, and they show up in packs. Everything hits me for at least 30 damage, multiple times each tun, while a mutant took 6 assault rifle shots (150-180) damage and still didn't die. My armor sucks and I didn't invest in evasion or dodge, counting I would be able to craft nice armor. Well, I'm not. Even the nicest armor on sale still doesn't look like it would make my life much easier.

Also, icing on the cake is with 3 and 4 agi and dex, all enemies go before me. When I get to act, I'm already low on hp.

What the hell did I do wrong? The idea was to get assault rfiles and rely on armor and grenades, but these aren't helping that much...

Tigranes

Arcane
You got decent but not super con, and you didn't take any defensive skills. So obviously you need the best armour you can find. What's the armour you are wearing now?

desocupado

Magister
You got decent but not super con, and you didn't take any defensive skills. So obviously you need the best armour you can find. What's the armour you are wearing now?

Pig leather suit, 22%/4

It's crap, but I can't afford metal armor. Which while a great improvement, I don't know if it would help all that much. 48%/13.

Well, the dog damage surely would go down.

Depot A is mostly acid damage. Get some acid resist gear - siphoner leather (you can get it) can make depot a a breeze.

Tigranes

Arcane
Metal is a great improvement in many cases - a lot of melee enemies and even bullets become zero damage due to that threshold.

The mutant-and-dog party is tough to face for early level characters no matter what. You don't have to fight most of them, in fact you can avoid fighting any of them depending on your skillset. Traps, grenades, chokepoints, you'll need everything you can get hold of if you want to go toe to toe against them with your "built for heavy armour but doesn't have heavy armour yet" guy.

Diggfinger

Arcane
So how (well) is the game doing in terms of sales?
I notice it hasnt left GOG's top 5 since release, which is awesome considering it's basically competing against Witcher 3 etc. during the holiday period.

Any info on how that translates into numbers?

- Digg

Dead Guy

Cipher
I didn't play since Junkyard was the last place you could go in EA, now trying to walk to Rail Crossing after Armadillo mission. But, are the directions from Essie correct? West / Northwest? I went north where west would get you to GSM, than further north and then blew up some rocks north, eventually got to some Ironheads, killed them, but there are just more of them in the next map. Have I gone through the wrong rocks in the underrail near GSM? Is it the rocks where there are a bunch of frag and HE mines and some rathounds? If so, isn't that more like north and east?

Went north instead of west just after the rocks I destroyed and think I ended up in the foundry.

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Cipher
Ah, there's a passage west more to the south than I was looking then, thanks.

hell bovine

Arcane
Depot A is mostly acid damage. Get some acid resist gear - siphoner leather (you can get it) can make depot a a breeze.

I'm actually dying to mutants shooting me in the face and dogs biting me.
Mutant dogs can drop acid-resistant leather, and once you get one of those, craft yourself some acid-resistant armor. Most of the damage received in those fights is due to standing in acid puddles and getting sprayed by acid.

(Also, grenades, especially cocktails are very good against dogs. If you need cash for those, you can visit the tunnels near SGS; the local lowlife is hiding there and you can sell their equipment to repair your finances.)

roshan

Arcane
So a report on my character. Even though I've mostly taken pistol related perks, I've switched to using SMGs as a primary weapon. I can attack tons of times, and the damage is just as much as pistols. It does help that many of the perks cross over both weapons, like rapid shot, aimed shot, expertise and knee cap. But the sharpshooter and gunslinger perks are kinda wasted. Game has become much easier, it's a shame that pistols are so terribly gimped. I'm still planning on taking Execute next level, with that and a customized pistol, might start using them some more again.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

There's also a biohazard suit in one of the nearby containers when you enter via the wormhole.

Is this the one that only provides Bio resistance? Bio is no help against acid damage, it's for wading through toxic gases.

Just doublechecked, it's only Bio resistance, shit.

Does anyone know what bonus the night vision googles give or exact numbers on the darkness penalty? Pope Amole mentions it in one of his videos and the wiki says the same but I can't find any indicators or numbers.

epeli

Arcane
Does anyone know what bonus the night vision googles give or exact numbers on the darkness penalty?

Night vision counters the darkness penalty entirely, ie. it is a huge bonus to ranged precision in dark areas, which is pretty much everywhere. Try it out.

I doubt anyone other than Styg knows the exact numbers. Many factors affect hit chance in ranged combat and some of the numbers are hidden from player, so it's quite hard to deduce the exact details through blind testing.

Sheepherder

Augur
What's better on a psi headband? +10% crit chance or +50% crit damage? The other Optional are the mufflers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom