Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Atelier series

Endemic

Arcane
Keith is best mentor. Also I wonder if he's the only male mentor in the series.

Off-hand I can think of a few. Dornier in Salburg. Empel in Ryza is a discount Keith. There are a mixture of teachers in Mana Khemia (several are male).

Shadenuat

Arcane
oh right the monocle guy. my brain shut down itself somewhere around mashing buttons in rt combat and I blocked this game from my brain.

Endemic

Arcane
Heh, Logy's chad enough to hook up with two alchemists in this series.

20200206140942_1i7j36.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
I played Totori DX (so like Totori +) and it changed my opinion on the game.

Not only I think Totori actress does best job in the series but game really became better and more beatiful compared to old version. It is surprisingly solid and also is not easy.

edit: also its arland game without that hag Astrid.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
is everyone tired of me saying "this is my favorite atelier game" every time I pick up another atelier game?

well I finished 3 years of Rorona + and activated additional story.

I really like how mundane this game is. characters are so nice and rorona is such an adorable clutz. this game is so relaxing.

also something something never written article about how time limits save games, with examples from f1, nu x com, pk and atelier.

Shadenuat

Arcane
when u boot up game at 2 am and rorona tells you to go to sleep is what always gets me :dealwithit:

one thing which always gets me is japanese attention to absolutely minimal details. the best example is when you craft, if your chance is low, rorona face expression changes to crying one, if chance is ok it's neutral and if 100% it changes to her being happey.

also behind her portrait is small circle with imagery rotating. I feel this is specifically to add movement to overall static screen of lists and picking ingredients and show that game is up and running.

western developers pay 0 attention to stuff like this.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm eeying the Dusk trilogy next after Ryza. Y/N?

Considered by many to be the best Atelier trilogy, and the only games in the series to have me seriously interested to try them out.

Hope you try them out and let us know what you think.

Puukko

Arcane
Ryza final boss beat on Hard. I crafted pretty good equipment beforehand as well as some useful items, but not the top gear that is available as the recipes for those materials are locked behind the treasure hunt, which is locked behind doing every side quest. Ain't got time for that.

It was a good boss. Moderately difficult and a good spectacle, so just about what I expect from a final boss in a JRPG. So imagine my reaction when a quick search revealed people found her to be too difficult:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atelier/comments/elbb30/the_final_boss_is_an_unreasonable_difficulty/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1121560/discussions/0/1643178512748182965/

These reek of misunderstanding of game mechanics, probably rushing the game with weak gear. She absolutely is not superboss tier, stop being dumb. She was merely a challenge after the game got easier in the second half. If I could have bumped up the difficulty, I would have.

I still intend to fight the elementals and I'll see about the hidden boss afterwards. I don't know if I'll bother with the story DLC - I'm not a fan of segregated content. Gametime as of now is roughly 50 hours when 30 hours seems to be the average - I'm guessing that's people playing on lower difficulties and paying minimal attention to the actual alchemy part.

spekkio

Arcane
Did any of you was able to run Atelier Ryza on Win7? I'm curious, 'cuz my version (bought on the niche CODEX store) crashes on startup. Same version works fine on Win10 (different rig). So I don't know if crashes are hardware / driver related, or if this game doesn't work on Win7 at all, pirated or not. Some threads on Steam point to the second option.

Anyway, no thiccness for me.

:negative:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Did any of you was able to run Atelier Ryza on Win7? I'm curious, 'cuz my version (bought on the niche CODEX store) crashes on startup. Same version works fine on Win10 (different rig). So I don't know if crashes are hardware / driver related, or if this game doesn't work on Win7 at all, pirated or not. Some threads on Steam point to the second option.

Anyway, no thiccness for me.

:negative:
Works perfectly for me on windows 7.
I have nvidia driver version:441.66

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
They're both drab, post-apocalyptic settings with robots right?

PtyV58v.png

Okay, Keith as Emil doesn't really fit but eh :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom