Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda General Discussion Thread

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Wasn't E3 cancelled because of the virus ?
Maybe now all these companies will adopt the Nintendo direct strategy. That format has always been better than Todd Howard coming out on stage and playing to the crowd the whole time. 30 minutes of applause and 10 minutes of reveals.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
They'll be handing out these at E3 2021 (if there is one)

serveimage

Best part about the suits - they remove the need or usefulness of selfies.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I like how the woman's suit isn't just a smaller cut men's suit, its got hips and breasts.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Not yet but seems it will be cancelled soon. Virus + organizers quitting + no sony anyway. I guess companies could still hold a conference or do pre-recorded streams :P
I guess the virus is the last nail in E3's coofin.

ADL

Prophet
I still don't understand how Todd can have such good taste and suck so much as a director. He could call the shots and make TESVI a spiritual successor to Ultima VII and Betrayal at Krondor if he wanted to, but he doesn't. He'll namedrop them as "inspirations" though during interviews.

ADL

Prophet
That's not an excuse though. TESVI could make the definition of incline and as long as it isn't Morrowind combat, it will sell. Dreamboy's ideas take away nothing for casuals.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Or he believes what he's making is a natural evolution of those games.

I do think he is under the delusion that he and his people are doing that but I also think it has to do with the target audience he is going for, and face it those people don't want to play a Ultima VII or Fallout 1/2, they want to play epic cinematic RPG with the illusion of choice.
So the problem lies with the man himself and that his vision stinks but also the audience and unfortunate the last is little we can do about.

timur72299

Novice
Ghostwrite Tokyo is still on track it seems according to Dusk Golem.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/be...or-games-next-gen.163565/page-3#post-28075101

It's not cancelled as far as I know. For how I understand it, Bethesda is what's tearing Tango Gameworks apart and what lead to her leaving. Shinji Mikami took over directing GhostWire after she left, which I know some will be happy to hear and I'm sure he's working hard on it. But it's not what he wants, and he's been having a lot of problems with Bethesda recently as well. But he's under contractual obligation for the project.

Bethesda would not be happy with me or anyone talking about this, but I heard this from a very credible source.

Also, this interview from Robert Walsh(from 2017 old but still) mentions something we all suspected.
https://siliconangle.com/2017/10/13/big-data-leads-transformation-pc-gaming/

The shift to online delivery changes everything. Instead of charging at the checkout counter, game makers have more revenue options, including subscription fees and micro-payments. At ZeniMax, in-game transactions are increasingly the focus of its business.

“The whole industry is moving toward a free-to-play with micro-payments model,” Walsh said. “A $60 price is a barrier to entry. So instead, we give them the game for free, and charge them once they’re in.”

I guess expect Elder Scrolls 6 to be riddled with microtransactions.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Todd is a businessman first and foremost. He'll make what sells, even if it doesn't align with his tastes.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind changed all their lives because they were about to go bankrupt. By the way, Pete Hines back in the day was a worse liar than Todd Howard.

Duralux for Durabux

Morrowind changed all their lives because they were about to go bankrupt.
You destroyed everything, i want to believe he wants to take inspiration on Morrowind.
Edit : One can only hope, i mean Sean murray was a liar but he managed to make a good game with a turd.

Last edited by a moderator:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Don't be silly. Even during the development of Morrowind, Todd was against making things different and weird. Michael Kirkbride would actually draw two different versions of a monster, the one that was weird and one that was fucking crazy and show him the crazy one.

Duralux for Durabux

Don't be silly. Even during the development of Morrowind, Todd was against making things different and weird. So Michael Kirkbride would actually draw two different versions of a monster, the one that was weird and one that was fucking crazy and show him the crazy one.
I know, i'm just fabulously optimistic.

Quillon

Arcane
Don't be silly. Even during the development of Morrowind, Todd was against making things different and weird. Michael Kirkbride would actually draw two different versions of a monster, the one that was weird and one that was fucking crazy and show him the crazy one.

I'm starting to like Godd Howard :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom