Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Raziel

Educated
Yes, I made a new installation and everything. I do have the old CDs laying around somewhere but I got the GOG version for free at some point and that's what I'm using. I do get the UAC prompt thingy and after I okay it nothing happens. The game is in the task manager but I don't get an error message, not even a black screen or something. What's up with that? If you can get it running on win10 then it should work for me too dammit! :mad:
That would suggest something's hanging in the game process itself, I've had something like that happen sporadically with Unreal Tournament back on Windows 7 but all I had to do was kill the process and try again.

Like Sabotin suggested, try running it as Administrator first. If that works, check that you haven't installed the game under a Program Files directory. And yes, also have a look at the Display settings in the nwn.ini in the game's root folder, see if changing resolutions or the FullScreen setting makes a difference. What's your graphics processor, anyway? There's also a nwnconfig.exe in your game folder that's worth a go, just in case.

Finally, if you look in the Windows Start Menu, under NWN Diamond you should find a Neverwinter Nights (Safe Mode) shortcut. I'm not clear what exactly this is meant to be doing, since it just points to the same main executable with a test argument, but can't hurt to try.
Let's see, what I have done so far:
  • Installed it outside of the program files folder
  • Changed the ini to run in windowed mode
  • Ran it as an administrator
  • Opened it, shut down the process when nothing happened and done so multiple times
  • Ran the safe mode thingy
So far nothing has worked, it just doesn't launch, I don't even get a window or anything, but it starts a process. My graphics card is a crappy old GeForce GTX 1050. Am I seriously the only one with this problem? It worked fine on windows 7 for me.

I've had a game run in the background as just a process before, I think there's something wrong with initialization which could be a graphics issue or as some others have suggested, firewall/antivirus. Try a selective boot with everything turned off, and run NWN then. If that doesn't work, try running it in safe mode(probably won't run, but some older games work), worth it anyway to see if it hangs up as a process, or you actually get some kind of safe-mode related error. (booting in safe mode, not the properties thing)

Also, try running nwn.exe / nwnmain.exe / nwnloader.exe seperately;; When I had my retail copy way back, I remember that I could only run the game through the exe that opened up the launcher.

Nyx

Novice
Have you changed the CPU affinity on the ini to force it to only use a single cpu? Some older games have problems with multiple core CPUs on windows 10.
Yeah, didn't help.
I've had a game run in the background as just a process before, I think there's something wrong with initialization which could be a graphics issue or as some others have suggested, firewall/antivirus. Try a selective boot with everything turned off, and run NWN then. If that doesn't work, try running it in safe mode(probably won't run, but some older games work), worth it anyway to see if it hangs up as a process, or you actually get some kind of safe-mode related error. (booting in safe mode, not the properties thing)
Eh? I give up, I'll just pirate the Beamdog fiasco version and hope that my modules still work.

Mud'

Scholar
How is the state of Presistent worlds right now?

Is there a fun world to play with a decent playerbase?

NatureOfMan

Educated
How is the state of Presistent worlds right now?

Is there a fun world to play with a decent playerbase?
There are like 4-5 servers that are quite popular. I personally play on Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist and it's absolutely great though more hardcore compared to the others when it comes to levelling and not everyone might like the Gothic Horror setting that is Ravenloft. There are also much more consequences in regards to PvP and picking on the wrong guys be it the local guild of assassins or Count Strahd's lackeys might result in closure of your character, though 90% of the time it's entirely your call when it comes to perma and most players and DMs give you a lot of chances to opt out of the conflict. Speaking of the DMs they are top lads as well.

Prestige classes, ECL races and Monster templates(playing as a vampire, lich, werewolf, mummy etc) are locked and you need to apply for them.

As for a much more casual laidback experience - Arelith. Very popular though quite consequence-free from what I've heard.

bec de corbin

Educated
I've been playing more NWN recently, and I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for modules besides the ones everyone always brings up (Aielund, Swordflight, Kosigan). What are some good modules that aren't as well known?

Gargaune

Magister
I've been playing more NWN recently, and I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for modules besides the ones everyone always brings up (Aielund, Swordflight, Kosigan). What are some good modules that aren't as well known?
Crimson Tides of Tethyr is the prequel to Tyrants of the Moonsea, and I highly recommend it. Solid length, well polished, and a properly developing plot well anchored in the Forgotten Realms. Technically, it's the second part of the saga, Scull also made Siege of Shadowdale as the first module, but I haven't played that one nor did I feel like I had to for CToT.

Then there's the Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher/Demon episodic saga that might be worth a look. These are older and very different in terms of polish, you can absolutely tell that Miller was learning the tools as he went. The Shadowlords modules start out extremely basic even by OC standards, and I nearly clocked out at first, but then you start seeing details popping up as the author's getting the hang of the scripting framework. By Dreamcatcher, the scripting is fully matured and you run into some spectacularly ambitious minigames and setpieces, though I felt like the writing stayed rather casual. I unfortunately can't comment on the Demon series, since I've no interest in playing a scalie and I dropped it early.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Not a traditional NWN module, but there's a nice series of spooky ones by the names of Stormy Night, Narcopolis and Wake that were fun when I played them many eons ago.
These three ones.

Gamezor

Learned
I'm in the second part of Swordflight, and it's living up to all of the hype. The encounter design / resource management is excellent and is actually better than any rpg I can remember playing, although I have not played all of the classics. It's weird to me that a non-professional working on this own time can create a better game than entire teams of pros. The writing and dialogue are also better than professional games that I've played. Great C & C for different alignments and roleplaying possibilities as well. Yeah, he didn't have to build his own engine, but he did everything else better than most rpgs that I've played.

infniitron

Not Infinitron
rogueknight333
What the hell man, I collected all the garlic during the Module and now I don't even get a chance to use them on the master?:argh:
Just kidding, Swordflight is awesome :love:

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Is anyone here playing Gladiatrix Trilogy?

I know the premise kind a turn off and it's female only but it is any good?

infniitron

Not Infinitron
rogueknight333
I'm playing part 2 right now and I have a question : why Calimport is so...Dead? I feel it was possible to make the atmosphere much livelier by adding generic NPCs walking the streets of the city.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
rogueknight333
I'm playing part 2 right now and I have a question : why Calimport is so...Dead? I feel it was possible to make the atmosphere much livelier by adding generic NPCs walking the streets of the city.

There are generic NPCs wandering about in many areas of the city, though I suppose it is quite possible there should have been more (if you think so, not sure what I can say about it other than indicating I had higher priorities). How much have you explored at this point? There tend to be very few generic people in the wealthier sections of the city (where you start), since the common rabble are discouraged from making their unaesthetic presence noticeable in such places. Also pay attention to what time of day it is. If it happens to be night, there will be very few people about on the streets.

In retrospect, I myself dislike just how generic the generic commoners in Calimport are. In later chapters I introduced some systems to, for example, randomize the clothes such people were wearing so they do not all look alike (though still within a limited range of outfits), but I had not thought of doing such things at the time I was making Ch. 2.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmm after playing "BG3" I might have to get around to re-doing SF 1-4 I have my Pal/Sorc/RDD right at the end of 3 but am pretty lost on the story since it's been so long.

Four month lockdown would have been a good time to do it. I can't remember what I even did during that time.

infniitron

Not Infinitron
Sorry for late response dude, I'm in kind of a bad mood these days.

rogueknight333

How much have you explored at this point? There tend to be very few generic people in the wealthier sections of the city (where you start), since the common rabble are discouraged from making their unaesthetic presence noticeable in such places.
Indeed, at that point, I had just explored the Noble part of the city and somehow judged quickly.

I finished chapter 2 and I really enjoyed the trip, It is quite clear that you have put a lot of thought and effort behind this work I liked everything class/alignment specific quests, puzzles, dungeons, loot companions
No Chelys romance:negative: Something about a Corrupt Aasimar is very hot to me:oops:
Combat, boss fights and ...
I wasn't hooked in a game this much probably in years.

ُSo Congratulations to you sir
You made an RPG better than 90% of the work of today's studios.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
...So Congratulations to you sir
You made an RPG better than 90% of the work of today's studios.

Thanks for the positive review.
No Chelys romance:negative: Something about a Corrupt Aasimar is very hot to me:oops:

If I ever get the last two chapters done, you should eventually return to Calimport and perhaps reunite with some previous companions, so you still have a chance!

More seriously, probably not too much of one, since I was never planning to make romance a significant feature of this series, partly because it seems to be a vehicle of decline and partly because when I was planning the campaign out I was not confident my writing abilities were up to the task of writing a decent romance. Though if stuff like the DA: Inquisition romances and the Beamdog companions (both of which came out after I got this started) now constitute the industry standards for romance writing, I may have really underestimated myself in that regard.

Andysks

Novice
What about NWN2? I've never played any modules for that, but I own it too.
If you want to give it a try, my campaign gets good reviews and it is quite big in scope (if that's your cup of tea :))

https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/1147
Thanks, I'll check it out

Thanks :). If you do play it, don't hesitate to ask for help if you encounter a bug (which should be almost non-existent at this stage) or if a quest gives you trouble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom