Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Archaelund: RPG that combines 1st-person exploration with 3rd-person TB combat - now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
https://steamdb.info/app/1082970/history/

I see that the Early Access release date was delayed to next summer.

Yep. These new graphics take time to make, the good news is I'll make good use of those extra months to advance all other development areas.

Is the game's final release delayed also? You said something about a five year development cycle last year.

It is hard to say at this point, for now we keep 2023 as a target but it's not like we're very concerned about that. While we've worked in the first game areas, we went slowly as they required tons of specific modeling of props and architecture, and constant I+D about light effects, etc. But with each new area we're going faster, since we can reuse many things and have more experience. Also depending on how the EA release is received we may enlarge the 3D team, so that's also a factor.

Sotomonte

Learned
Are you going to launch the game simultaneously on Steam and GOG? ... I assume it will be released on GOG since Exiled Kingdoms was not too long ago.

Un saludo.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you going to launch the game simultaneously on Steam and GOG? ... I assume it will be released on GOG since Exiled Kingdoms was not too long ago.

Un saludo.

Yes for the final game, although I am still unsure about Early Access release in GOG.

Sotomonte

Learned
In GOG there are already a lot of ganes in early access, such as Stellar Tactics, Encased, Low Magic Age, or soon BG3.

Although it is true that if you are going to be constantly releasing updates, the process that GOG uses to verify them can be somewhat tedious ... or it is said.

For my part, I hope you launch the game on GOG as soon as possible (and not have to wait 5 years or more for it to be finished).

V_K

Arcane
It is hard to say at this point, for now we keep 2023 as a target but it's not like we're very concerned about that. While we've worked in the first game areas, we went slowly as they required tons of specific modeling of props and architecture, and constant I+D about light effects, etc. But with each new area we're going faster, since we can reuse many things and have more experience. Also depending on how the EA release is received we may enlarge the 3D team, so that's also a factor.
You sure you don't want to go the Realms Beyond way? Oops, that came out wrong. I meant the way Realms Beyond intended to go - offering the EA part of the world on proper release and then supplement with expansions - precisely to avoid going the way it actually went.
It's just that your description of the EA area:
The Early Access release will contain several map sectors including at least four towns, many dungeons, and dozens of different quests. These initial sectors are part of the Southern March, the most "civilized" region of Archaelund where your adventure will begin. Future planned updates will cover many more sectors, further to the North, East and South.
Sounds like it could be a sizable RPG in its own right.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
The Early Access release will contain several map sectors including at least four towns, many dungeons, and dozens of different quests. These initial sectors are part of the Southern March, the most "civilized" region of Archaelund where your adventure will begin. Future planned updates will cover many more sectors, further to the North, East and South.
Sounds like it could be a sizable RPG in its own right.

EA will have an outdoor world of about 7 km², very "dense" with content because of the coastal towns. Version 1.0 should have a playable surface of about 32 km² (as a reference, that's twice the size of Morrowind).

Fantastic. This was already shaping up to be very anticipated, but the size and looks now impress beyond what I had dared hope for. I will likely purchase day 1, even if I don't play it for awhile. You guys look like you're doing The Great Work keeping the RPG flame alive. I gave Owlcat the same treatment and am not disappointed. If you have a season pass planned, I'll buy that in advance too.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I went to change my password on the Exiled Kingdoms site and noticed they're hiring a junior 3D artist "with higher creative opportunities" at some point. Good luck in the search, DavidBVal

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

I really should post more, shouldn't I?

There's good progress every week. I was planning a full replacement of current screenshots and a new trailer video weeks ago, but since so many areas are "85% done" and the remaining part are the props, lighting, etc, we decided to wait a little more and do it just once; probably in April.

I remade almost from scratch part of the skill system and the damage/health system until I felt fully satisfied with the role played by the Traits (the stats), and with the lethality of combat. It's one of the few advantages of working for 2 and a half years on something, you get some perspective and can fix things that sounded like a great idea, but after a few months it's obvious it wasn't going to work.

3D scenery work is finally going at the needed pace after a second 3D artist was hired back in January. 2D art is mostly complete except for the icon art and the animated intro, but they shouldn't pose a problem.

In short: we're having fun, it's going to be amazing. It'll be ready in about 20 years.

vazha

Arcane
DavidBVal Will Archaelund have the same neverending respawn of mobs that basically made me abandon Exiled Kingdoms? That was one very questionable design decision in an otherwise decent game.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Exiled Kingdoms was very good. Surprisingly, it has a mobile port, but don't let that deter you.

Nice little RPG.

Don't waste your time, listen to flabby's advice -- Play on the easiest setting, choose mage as your class. There was recently a patch that made pre-end-game a little easier, it was a little too RNG to farm bosses.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1082970/view/2979681315580072912

Development Update #3
In the last months, Archaelund has seen a lot of new content: from natural environments, to cities and dungeons full with adventure. From the beginning we faced the challenge of creating a world that was both new and ancient; the broken, overgrown ruins of a highly-magical empire lay next to the mundane (but thriving) villages and towns of the human Exiles, and the alien dwellings of the native Geldryn.

(click to enlarge)

The mechanics and options of the Combat Engine are mostly in place. Character 'Talents' may grant special combat actions or bonuses, which gives each of your party members unique advantages in battle. There are dozens of different Talents to learn, and while most are defined by your chosen Career there's some Open Talents that a character can learn independently. Our objective in combat is making it fast-paced and highly tactical, allowing the player to seek strategies and ability sinergies in the party. Expect different AIs with appropiate behaviors; archers wil fall behind warriors, and might focus on your party's weak spots...

(click to enlarge)

The Archaelund Character System is also seeing lots of progress. Character and party creation is already in place. It was very important to offer endless customization to make your adventuring party unique, yet intuitive and straightforward... you don't need to "study" to make your characters, because Careers work well "out-of-the-box". It is after the first levels when meaningful character development occurs, and by them you'll have learned what you need from the game itself.

I know what you're all thinking... "Neat things but, when does the game come out!?!?". To answer this let me give you the rundown on our "to-do" list.

The magic system is designed but not implemented, and the same can be said about several game elements like Traps and about half the Talents and Skills. Environments have advanced a lot, but we have about 70% of what we wanted for the first release. Many quests and dialogues are already written, but over half of them are just sketched. And then there's the polishing, the testing, the adjustments, which in a game like this may take a few months.

We could probably have rushed a release this Christmas but, as we've explained before, for us the priority is making the game as good as we can. We will extend the development into 2022, and make sure Archaelund Early Access is everything it should be.

vazha

Arcane
This is looking better and better and the dev says all the right things. Dare we dream?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom