Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting box-text & name.

Game is called ultimate SOCCER, but then goes by football in the presentation text. Guess it was made in US, but then presented with this box for UK/international market?

Riskbreaker

Hellpoint
17AA2632982B9148F8504FB05AA4E7372C1DBD8A

49D5340DC8B6ED67C2CCFBB01C0939991B3D43A3

2E48AA5A9D47C5D122430EAEBCF955D194F91ABE

80AB4355F4E31DE76643DD390B9B6AB635F16C15

6499BA20F69673ACC110E8CEBE1074A8E5BD125E

8238E1B1CB269638DAD8867101673395D0242565

1CC70F9D20F04B752935931115D6C304E2FCBF74

62477C897288FCACBF20F6D16C2FEF5B4D688B86

90005BD450A932A384CF96230A1AFA11ED94A1E0

718341C4E2029016CF55B91D4FAB3F2195B7AEB1

E1ACC80B0ACC60EB359A0DC73246375D4324E810

27CACE4CE50E50E7658D176EBC4F9E124B50A0C4

3D62A578130B7AE519200A8AB1C4AB176D38BC3C

F357453BD58CE7B258B993E9E59F3B393EF21D68

791472C46282E682C0C8013D11849104956D3D8B

BE8469A3B980A965E4372D06B6A226D2E7F88C28

7A4B413B2263DCF78095EA82EDC86B2C9A310364
Solid little low-budget Souls-like. I was at first put off by the juxtaposition of these at the first sight sterile and empty-looking SF environs and their monster designs, but it kinda grew on me. The environments have this very cold, alienating feel to them. It's kinda lacking as to enemy variety and most of the bosses are but slightly buffed up editions of regular enemies. I also didn't find too much equipment variety for my reflex-cognition build, tho I couldn't imagine playing it otherwise (the game doesn't seem to be well balanced for slower, strength builds anyway). The level design is surprisingly good, quite complex and intricate, loaded with secrets and clever interconnectedness.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I really enjoyed Hellpoint tbh. The combat and the enemies are nothing special but the level design and atmosphere are awesome af and really to my liking.

Aemar

Arcane
But... CM 01/02 is also free and updated...

After 40+ hours with FM2020 I'm burned out with managers.

Still... thanks for recommendation.
This one is also updated up to 2017-2018 I think, but, unlike CM 01/02, it contains only 7 European leagues, albeit the most important ones. Way too few but let's not forget we're talking about a game released in 1998.

Interesting box-text & name.

Game is called ultimate SOCCER, but then goes by football in the presentation text. Guess it was made in US, but then presented with this box for UK/international market?
Impressions Games was initially a UK-based company; they opened up a second office in the US, my guess is that they did that after Sierra bought them around 1995. So it's plausible the USM games were made in the US; still no idea which branch was actually responsible for the production though. About the name, in some countries like France and Germany it was released under several different names due to legal/licensing reasons.

Krivol

Magister
But... CM 01/02 is also free and updated...

After 40+ hours with FM2020 I'm burned out with managers.

Still... thanks for recommendation.
This one is also updated up to 2017-2018 I think, but, unlike CM 01/02, it contains only 7 European leagues, albeit the most important ones. Way too few but let's not forget we're talking about a game released in 1998.

Bruh, CM3 was released on 1997 and had 15 with lower leagues.

HansDampf

Arcane
Don't know what to play. How about some more Doom? This time: Stardate 20x6, a short WAD with 8 maps made by Ribbiks who also worked on Sunlust.

EdLjjix.jpg

Everything is pink.

gBqqbsk.jpg

kmD6GFt.jpg

Mean combination. Try hiding from Archvile attacks and dodging Revenant missiles at the same time.

lb456oi.jpg

Map06 is where Stardate gets ridiculous. This fight took me a while. You can use the high ground to avoid the Revenant missiles thanks to their slow vertical speed.

v9JihIA.jpg

I'm boned.

AXVNYwE.jpg

This dumb platforming... What was he thinking?! All enemies are dead, and I'm just trying to get to the next fight. I even noclipped once to get it over with.

Tn2Zb1p.jpg

The final map is amazing though.

Bf4fg1K.jpg

Teleporting Cyberdemon.

wosgw7k.jpg

Finally a BFG! Guarded by a Spider Mastermind.

KXIhi6v.jpg

Huge trap, as expected.

665ABoO.jpg

There is a secret teleporter that takes you to an invulnerability sphere at the top with a nice view of the arena.

uTHwsYj.jpg

And before you can leave, a bunch of Archviles are released to resurrect everything (of course) protected by a qbert wall of Chaingunners.

qqdrFAj.jpg

This is the end. Lots of pink Doomguy corpses. What could be hiding behind this wall?

8NMxfUt.jpg

Sure. Just like Postcoitus Doom, except it's not bullshit because there is enough room to retreat.

k1lnFw9.jpg

Then hundreds of Imps and Revenants teleport into the arena. After many attempts I found a way to semi-cheese it and let the Cyberdemons take care of everything.

W2N2wn9.jpg

:shredder:
I knew what I was getting into. But this was more frustrating than Sunlust. There were several fights where I felt I couldn't make any progress and had to rely on luck or come up with cheese tactics. Maybe that was the point. Either that or I'm not hardcore enough.

DraQ

Arcane
MV5BZWQ2NDBkN2YtODU1YS00NDgxLWI0MmMtNDNjYWViZmVjNDBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

Impressions Games' most underrated series, the third and last game. Fun fact: David Lester, former owner of IG and executive producer, entered Watford FC's board of directors at the beginning of 2000s, a couple of years after the release of this game.

Without a doubt the most fun game of its kind, the only one that allows the player to rig games, bet on his own team's matches, etc. It still holds great, despite its age and the lack of some of the technical features that appeal to the diehards of the genre. Compared to its competitors, I'd say this has the feel of a proper video game, instead of a boring collection of simple tables and statistics. The interface is amazing, and one of the main strong points of this game. It also deals with aspects like hooliganism (your fans can destroy your stadium btw...), and especially the managerial aspects of running a football club (getting sponsporships, upgrading the stadium, etc).

343.jpg

The managerial office. Interacting with the various object from the room opens up a certain feature. The mobile phone is for rigging matches, bets, etc... The printer serves for real life printing of various charts, statistics, etc. The VHS allows you to in-game record and rewatch portions of a match. You can store newspaper articles in that red notebook, etc, etc.

3564567.jpg

The squad room.

4565.jpg

The chairman's office. The owner sets you objectives at the beginning of each season, as well as before most matches. You're out if you fail to meet the main objective, or at least fail to meet that objective in a dignified manner.

118.jpg

I didn't get fired after failing to get promoted during the first season with Kingstonian FC (5th English division), but I will surely not get another chance if I fail again.

678768.jpg

Stadium screen, where you can improve the stadium itself and build various buildings that will bring in money for your team (bars, merchandise stalls, etc).

57845.jpg

One of this game's greatest features back then was the ability to allow the player to create his own set pieces.

4567.jpg

65568.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

The match engine looked better than most of the crude 3D engines used in similar games at that time.

34566.jpg

Post match article.

117.jpg

My team took the third place during the first season, and I didn't get fired despite that.

116.jpg

Ignoring the messages of one of my players' agent, since I didn't want to renew his contract. The transfer system was quite realistic, you had to negociate with the club and with the player itself.

113.jpg

One of the coaches complaining about his fellow colleague.

The game is abandonware, so you can get it for free.
Still way expensive for me.
:smug:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Having a lot of fun with Erannorth Reborn.
What's good about it? The card-collecting aspects doesn't seem appealing.
You create a character choosing the race, class and stats, then get a starting deck based on that. Then you fight through multiple battles and events, getting new cards that can be equipment, items, spells, rituals, companions, mounts and even a home base.

The game has thousands of cards and many play modes that can be very challenging, the fun is trying different class/race combos and builds based on the cards you find, like a vampire death knight that sacrifices HP to use special powers, a Nephilim mystic focused on holy armor and light-based spells, a demonic necromancer that raise slain foes as undead minions and then sacrifices them to summon demons, a blade dancer that do blade combos that does a lot of damage but leave her vulnereable, and so on.

It's a roguelike, so you only have one life, but you earn tokens as you play, that can be used to unlock new races & classes, advanced cards for them and even revive a fallen character. Fun stuff, and the dev is just one dude that has been doing a lot of work to keep it bug free and add more content.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Streets of Kamurocho. Available until October 19. It's basically a Streets of rage 2 hack. All characters play like Axel. A fun novelty that will take you 10 minutes to beat. I beat it twice, once with Kiryu and once with the unlocked character. (Didn't take a scientist to know who it would be.)
42D4D8DF7EEA7D21FF834CA38B5FD594B4B88A5B

Silly Germans

I think i have gained a better understanding why Guillotine's were considered more humane in comparison to manual beheadings,
Just take look what happens when you put a little bit to much force into your swing,

I guess i can blame the gas mask for that mishap. My next try was lot more successful,

although i didn't intend to pulverize the head.

I guess third time really is the charm,

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster

Things are starting to heat up, when our power trio of square jawed Sword&Sorcery heroes face three Rakshasas (who can apparantly cast several spells per round) and their entourage of Invisible Stalkers.
06dBYAk.png

I thought the Raks were supposed to be immune to lvl 1-5 spells? I'm playing totally unmodded.
4zjiDvz.png

This was a fun fight, and hard enough that I had to use potions and spells. As usual in Trials little use in buffing, though, since the Raks can apparantly force cast Dispel Magic.
i62m5Lz.png

The Red Knight

Erudite
https://kawaiisolutions.itch.io/bitesize-tactics
Has fixed levels and is very short (7 maps I think?) but the opponents, player's party, and the levelup choices are randomized. Very easy if you get a mage with meteor spell to nuke everything with. Would be nice if expanded into a full game.
EEYx8IA.png
r26oQtQ.png

MHUh4E1.png

BkQ2Xlq.png
https://pawelslusarczyk.itch.io/artifex-gladii
jlsapfG.png
emzrtWR.png

dGApTPF.png

mywUjWn.png

cUmrq1c.png

QJN48tX.png
https://kyace.itch.io/shadow-ledger
4HbjhvN.png

X-Com Advance (GBA)
fOCxWY3.png
5kan3O5.png

3qm2OOP.png

49f23zr.png

ARwGZBz.png

Not depicted, but normal walls can be destroyed with explosives.
https://bal-dev-boukensha.itch.io/metalbird
Abandoned project with only a skirmish mode; the dev was nice enough to remove the payment requirement and make it public.
rPrbyf9.png

https://giyomu-games.itch.io/giyomu-tactics
Puzzle game.
4zpG4Ld.png

Metal Warriors (SNES)
Mecha platformer similar to Iron Blood or Front Mission: Gun Hazard.
7KIoQCY.png

Valkyrie Profile (NDS)
f3B8QYu.png

FFTA2 (NDS)
tAO4KAI.png

https://wirelessjava.itch.io/amulet-of-destiny
3D freecam dungeon crawler with some verticality in the levels. Haven't replayed it to see what the roguelike/randomized elements are.
BAFe80B.png
qWYQhu8.png

geg4HZc.png

QgZIdDf.png

YizdzUS.png

xk2XrxW.png

T3BbsGf.png

eWjwrfH.png
https://glasscandlegames.itch.io/ruadine
Short tech demo of a pretty grid dungeon crawler that unfortunately has some action duel combat system.
HZzqBFP.png
fQEU7HX.png

ZhypUoy.png

mC0KQ4h.png

t5fyLey.png

upHxUfp.png
https://csbrannan.itch.io/disco-elysium-game-boy-edition
Because what VNs truly need is "press x to continue" after every 4-5 words.
SJ7LKho.png

kOy8hua.png

Slavcraft / Priority: Survive / distortum.mysteria.cz
Short campaign only.
HIGib28.png
RykeXvo.png

VEBjHyB.png

KsknRe2.png
https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-supreme-battlegrounds
2RTCyef.png

https://lonespelunker.itch.io/piratical-7drl
Pirate-themed roguelike with diving.
cGwp2yL.png

https://gridbugs.itch.io/meters-below-the-ground
In some ways similar to City of the Damned RL.
ywjSfaf.png

sENzXln.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom