Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Purchased and played a little(less than a hour). Strong ToEE "vibes". BG3 was very dos2 like(but since it had D&D mechanics I liked)

IMO is much better than BG3

• No HP bloat
  • More faithful rule implementation
  • The campaign fits more for a low level party
  • The 3D fells more like a part of the world and not a gimmicky
  • The UI is much cleaner.
Liked even the tutorial.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
"Oh my god, these legendary mythical creatures that nobody actually believes exist are attacking us! Let's kill tens of them and not take a single piece of evidence that they are real!"
The important thing is that they learned from their mistakes, and remembered to bring the head from the next mission. Can't expect any more from a bunch of low level adventureres.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The story and setting continue to be boring but at least I love my party! Seriously being able to make a custom character that then talks and acts exactly like you envisioned them is fantastic and every RPG with a custom party should copy Solasta's personality system.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Purchased and played a little(less than a hour). Strong ToEE "vibes". BG3 was very dos2 like(but since it had D&D mechanics I liked)

IMO is much better than BG3

• No HP bloat
  • More faithful rule implementation
  • The campaign fits more for a low level party
  • The 3D fells more like a part of the world and not a gimmicky
  • The UI is much cleaner.
Liked even the tutorial.

BG3 looks like Divinity Original Sin 3.

Ulysa

Scholar
The story and setting continue to be boring but at least I love my party! Seriously being able to make a custom character that then talks and acts exactly like you envisioned them is fantastic and every RPG with a custom party should copy Solasta's personality system.
It's pretty innovative, yes? Correct me if I'm wrong please. This is the kind of novelty that I expect when they talk about "reinventing and evolution of the genre". I think they deserve a lot of praise only for this.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously being able to make a custom character that then talks and acts exactly like you envisioned them is fantastic

I thought so as well, until my Mage Loremaster - a high-born graceful elven lady with academic background - rolled up her sleeves and fucking chopped off sorlak's head because someone had to do it. The rest of the party, dwarf and human, just watched that in silent shock. The girly apparently personally lugged her trophy all the back to the town, because it was she who later presented the head to the council too.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
It's pretty innovative, yes? Correct me if I'm wrong please. This is the kind of novelty that I expect when they talk about "reinventing and evolution of the genre". I think they deserve a lot of praise only for this.
It is almost like a spin on DA:O's Origins, but has more impact throughout the game. It is really cool in my opinion, and it's something other games could implement (and probably implement more cheaply - I'd imagine that executing this along with full VO like Solasta did is very resource-intensive). I love it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Was she pragmatic?
That must be it, her second to last rating is pragmatism 11.
Still it looked kinda weird that there was no one more suitable for this greasy work.
Why? People are based on their characteristics not their class/job. You could have craven fighters and honour bound thieves.

Why do you, fags, comparing this modern shit with party size of 4 to ToEE?
At least it doesn't have the retarded enemy spawn of toee.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why do you, fags, comparing this modern shit with party size of 4 to ToEE?
Because the adaptation of the ruleset is incredibly clean and faithful, and you can use the (albeit limited in number) tools at your disposal to solve encounters in fun ways (push a creature off a bridge, shove someone in the right position to crush him under a rock, put a climbing enemy to sleep so that he falls off...).

Shinros

Learned
Man, I'm watching the videos and streams, trying hard to resist buying the game. It looks really good, far more impressive than BG3. The systems look clean, they implemented the ruleset and how you build the characters and their personalities? Wow.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, I'm watching the videos and streams, trying hard to resist buying the game. It looks really good, far more impressive than BG3. The systems look clean, they implemented the ruleset and how you build the characters and their personalities? Wow.
I know, right? That's why I backed this project. Also... Dorateen is interested. When Dorateen is interested, you should probably be interested too.

Shinros

Learned
I know, right? That's why I backed this project. Also... Dorateen is interested. When Dorateen is interested, you should probably be interested too.

Honestly, I think I'm going to grab it at sooner or later. I want to support ideas like this. With all the budget Larian had for some reason they couldn't follow a simple ruleset.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Been playing a bit. Here are my first thoughts:

Positive:
+ Combat: Except for the random mini animation and slow pacing, everything is top notch. Everything is clear, slick, tactical, bunch of different strategies, etc.
+ UX, including navigation, inventory, etc.: Super intuitive and without any issues.
+ Rules adaptation: It's really like 5th in a CRPG, nothing more to add.
EDIT, forgot to add: + Environment interaction: It's very nice to be able to light sources (and light having a REAL effect!), drop down pillars, jump from place to place, feather fall, etc. It's refreshing actually. They really put a lot of effort into it.

Neutral:
o Setting: Some nice aspect to it, nothing groundbreaking. I'm not "interested" in it, but I'm not disgusted either.
o Personality: Nice idea to have the character speak based on their personality all by themselves, BUT. 1) it creates a weird dynamic where there are too many "cutscenes" and I feel I'm not "doing" anything 2) sometimes (happens more than I'd like) it's just retarded how the conversation are assigned, e.g.: a loyal good paladin with lawfulness and something else that ooze goodness will say that she'd be happy to see innocent soldier on her side killed themselves...wth?
o Bugs: I've had some bugs. I'm not putting it in negative because it's early access so it's normal. Still I hope they fix it.

Negative:
- Story: So far it's boring. It's not retarded, but it's boring. There's a LOT of railroading. Not very happy.
- UI: We said it enough but I want to say it again: to hell with those damn "modern slick semi-transparent" UI
- Faces: Everyone looks like a retard

Summary: Better than I feared, worst than I expected. Definitively has the potential to be above most CRPGs nowadays if quality is upped a bit and the story gets interesting later on. (also if they fix that horrendous UI)

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

I have to admit I am impressed that devs managed to create the most generic boring fantasy world I have seen in a long time. It reminds me of NWN modules and russian RPGs from the early 200s.

Solasta seems to be great DnD simulator but an average CRPG.
Name 1 russian rpg from 200s with a generic fantasy setting.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Looks pretty boring. Almost on par (maybe a tad better) with that game I called "Square Clicker".

You guys are too desperate for some DnD fix.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom