Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Bullshit that's an instant refund/uninstall

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Thread Rules: No SJW/Political/LBGT shit.

Post something that instantly ruins a game for you.

Here's mine: Kill Wolf/Rat/whatever, it drops swords, currency, etc

Wunderbar

Arcane
So far nothing made me instantly uninstall/refund an RPG, usually it's something annoying that slowly makes me drop the game.

The closest was ubisoft-style open world bullshit from Dragon Age inquisition, i've quit the game immediately after realizing what was going on in the first open region (Hinterlands?).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't refund games because I'm an obsessive collector.

But something that will quickly make me lose interest and stop playing is excessive grind and other time-wasting mechanics.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I find it excruciatingly hard to play an RPG for longer than 15 minutes if it starts in "ye olde generic village" with all the typical quests and problems it entails, and there were numerous ones I dropped, never to return, just because of that shitty kind of beginning.

Shadenuat

Arcane
recently, team initiative.
can't stand this shit even in games ppl consider good because of how formulaic it makes combat after even few battles.

Deleted member 7219

I'm not a crybaby so nothing would really trigger me so much as to throw my toys out the pram and instantly uninstall a game I purchased.

The following are not so much instant uninstall, but just elements that make me not buy the game in the first place. I'll edit the post and add to the list as other people put up things that I also find annoying.

• No story, or a bad story
  • Realtime clusterfuck "Devil May Cry" style combat
  • Multiplayer only
  • Card battles being the central combat system/premise rather than an optional side activity
  • Sidescrolling / Platforming
  • Survival games
  • MOBA

Dodo1610

Arcane
When I have to kill someone innocent just because the devs were too lazy to add an obvious peaceful solution. If you make an RPG make sure it's possible to play through as a decent person FGS.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think there is anything that would immediately make me refund or skip, but there are a bunch of issues that will severely lower my appreciation of a game and will make me much less tolerant towards any kind of bullshit.

Not being able to skip/speed up animations in turn-based.
Not being able to rebind keys.
Absurdly long loading times.
Puzzles. Yuck!
Dialogue choices not actually fitting what the character will say.
Bad writing.
Uninspired combat mechanics.

For example, I just quit playing Wasteland 3 because of a bug - the bug itself wasn't a complete gamebreaker, but the game had so many issues up until that point that it became the straw breaking the camel's back.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I'm not a crybaby so nothing would really trigger me so much as to throw my toys out the pram and instantly uninstall a game I purchased.

DMC combat is rarely a clusterfuck, are you referring to "action" rpgs that have incompetent gameplay design and just go "eh fuck it high level high damage numbers" like FFXV or whatever?

Level scaling, and HP bloat.

What do you mean by level bloat?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TheDiceMustRoll
HP bloat (trash enemies having way too much health)
So many games do that, and it is always annoying.

If the only way developers can achieve a higher challenge is to make combat last longer (due to absurdly high HP), they have failed in their design.
It's IMO fine if enemies get beefier the further you get and that combat can take a bit longer in end-game than at the start.
But many games go way beyond that.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Games pushing an agenda, that don't give your character enough/realistic options for that situation/social setting/epoch.
Also binary choices that make no sense whatsoever just so they can set up some dumb idea down the line (Dragon Age - choose mages or templars, the other side automatically becomes evil).

But even though these things piss me off, they probably won't make me ragequit or uninstall. I'll probably keep going so I can bitch about it later.

Deleted member 7219

DMC combat is rarely a clusterfuck, are you referring to "action" rpgs that have incompetent gameplay design and just go "eh fuck it high level high damage numbers" like FFXV or whatever?

Yes, FFXV is a good example of what I mean, but Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning also did it many years ago. Slash 'em ups / beat 'em ups where the challenge is mashing the button as quickly as you can until the enemy is dead.

I bounce off it when I see it in action games, but I persevere in RPGs if the other systems are good enough - but I'm starting to get really sick of it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For a wide spectrum of RPG:

clunky control and camera for action RPG (as in Elex) or ARPG (as in Diablo). you can be an old classic (Gothic) or you can be brand new but if your control and camera is shit then uninstall it is

less of a game design issue but for first person RPG: motion sickness. Some can be fixed by having wider PoV, but there are some games that have no PoV option so that's uninstall category as well.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Oh there are so many utterly idiotic things in RPGs that would normally be enough for anyone sane to quit, were it not for that hope that as one plays the game it will become better and will redeem itself somehow. Sometimes I think RPGs are made by (actual) retards for retards...

Nearly-unforgivable bullshit (because one still obviously forgives it by continuing to play, some of course quit outright):

1. Too frequent respawning of enemies. So I clear the map of every piece of fauna there is, come back a few in-game hours or a day later, and the map is repopulated with shit? Infuriating.
2. Enemies attacking you on sight regardless of the level difference. I would have expected that trash mobs at some point start actively avoiding any contact with my ultra-high level character/party. Even in real life, bears and wolves will avoid humans most of the time, in games shitty level 1 rats still rush at you even when you emanate aura of a demigod. Disgusting and of course utterly idiotic.
3. Trash mobs everywhere, in every map, area and corner of the world. I know combat is most of the time the primary activity in any game, including RPGs, but come the fuck on. And once surpassed, and related to point 2., low-level enemies just become irritating, wasting the player's time & effort.
4. Replacing the types of enemies for the same map as time and player character's stats progress. I don't care if you want to "keep up the challenge", if the area is meant to be for low-level characters only, then stop level-scaling enemies or outright introducing new enemies who have no business being there except to waste more of player's time.

And probably a lot of other bullshit I'm forgetting right now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kill 5/5 wolves.
Absurd and frequent loading screens.
Respawning enemies.
Combat being too deterministic.

Narushima

Cipher
low-level enemies just become irritating, wasting the player's time & effort
I remember in Sacred you had an aura of damage that increased as you leveled up. It was a lot of fun to go back to the goblin-infested desert and just run around watching them die before they even reached you.
It migh have been a skill unique to the vampire class.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Plenty of stuff related to combat I've just started using cheat engine to deal with. Too slow animations? Increase speed. Respawning Trash mobs without purpose? Enable godmode to blast through them. Game requires mindless grinding for progression? Look up recommended level and give my character that.

Does this break suspension of disbelief and take you out of the game? Sure but the alternative is not playing these games at all. I sure as hell couldn't stand the geriatric pace of Underrail
and it would be a shame to have missed that.

What really gets to me is bad writing/world building pushing an agenda. If the writing at least is good then I can turn a blind eye but bad writing and an agenda is a 1-2 punch i can't stand. Zero writing is my much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom