Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

wyes gull

Savant
Finished it. Loved it. I'm heavily biased tho. Far as I care any sort of sci-fi>fantasy, especially of the medieval kind, and I hold cyberpunk especially dear. Heck, I can say I'd been waiting 20 years for the chance to walk around in a cyberpunk city like this and I'd have happily shelled twice the amount just for the city, no peds, no traffic, so long as it had a dynamic weather system or at least perpetual night. It's not perfect but it's still the prettiest thing I've ever seen in a game. I could go through it for hours and find a surprise at every corner and in fact, a lot of my 60-something hours' playthrough was made up of just that. I wouldn't say it's perfect- it's too western for my specific taste, especially the outskirts. But hell, even those parts look fantastic.
I could even mirror most of that praise on the design of the vehicles, the weapons and most of the central characters. Oh and the sound design. That is, when the sound is actually work as intended. But I make no bones about it. The city is the linchpin. And she is gorgeous.

Having said that, all the reasons I like this have nothing to do or are at most tangential to the actual game because as it turns out, there is an actual game in here. I'll give it points for ambition if nothing else. I've never been a fan of the avg modern shooter and as one, this doesn't work particularly well without maps specifically designed to suit it and with an AI that is just not there. The RPG (air-quotes RPG, mind) mechanics don't help either. So it varies from spongy and reasonably hard and boring to fast, easy and satisfying. Similar to how it worked in VtMB if you specialized in combat and were fighting humans. The sound and animations/gibbing really do save the day as blasting someone to shreds looks and sounds... just right, and it's at least reward enough in itself to not expose the lacking areas of the shooting as a mindless chore. Swording and (I imagine) Blunting work pretty much the same way. Fast, easy, satisfying. Too easy, unfortunately. AI aside, my choice for biggest culprit would be the damage breadth that weapons come in. And how easy it is to find a weapon that does, per second, more damage than the avg enemy has HP. Weapons -are- level restricted but that restriction does little to help the PC not easily overpower the NPC 15-20 levels in. Out of a supposed 50. Ouch.
Long and short of it, the game needs rebalancing. Especially when it comes to gains for skills, who just slog the whole fucking game, way behind stats, player level and reputation. And even then combat's too easy. It brings to mind just what the hell are skills for. Right now? Absolutely nothing but gating the last, highest perk (which lets you put infinite points into minuscule improvements), contrary to all other perks, which are gated by stat levels rather than skill. Crafting seems an exception, as it gates the quality of items you can craft, but then that skill levels appropriately via crafting. So someone call Oscuro or le-balance-man because this thing needs an overhaul. Bad. I'll add 1 bit of praise though, in that most combat areas seem to be designed with choice in approach in mind is particularly noteworthy; that after hours and hours you can jump onto a side window of the building in which the objective of some meaningless side-mission is located and be surprised by a hidden entrance and on the way out you find another point of entry is impressive, not to mention the cameras and computers you can use to unleash a number of surprises on unsuspecting mooks.

I have more gripes about the gameplay but it's bugging me that I've gone several paragraphs without mentioning something... buggy. I wouldn't exactly call the game buggy. Bugs sometimes are innocuous, sometimes brick saves, sometimes render the game unfinishable. Happy to report that for me, that wasn't the case. Say what I will but it is finishable. It's just not finished. Which is absolutely NOT an excuse. And the bugs come at you at an alarming rate that I've seldom, if ever, experienced. Fortunately, most of them are graphical in nature (such as the fucking crosshairs that remained on the hud after I'd holstered my weapon, forcing me to un-holster, switch to the katana (that doesn't have a crosshair) and then sheathe that instead to get rid of them. That fucker stayed with me the whole fucking game. Fuck the fuck off, already) and only 2 made me lose game time; one in a mission with Panam wherein, should you die (I died twice thanks to those sneaky explosive barrels and to being run the fuck over by a car with no engine noise, so bugs within bugs now), the 3 or 4 previous autosaves put you in the car with Panam, except on the driver seat she's in rather than the passenger seat where you're supposed to be, rendering you permanently stuck. The other one I can't recall but in all it's 30 minutes of lost game time. Remarkably, for all the bugs, only one quest was rendered unfinishable for me, the 7 proxies one.

Finally there's the story. I liked it quite a bit. Characterization and acting were strong throughout and I'd say the voice acting was great across the board, the weaker cog being Keanu himself, whose performance varied wildly. He's not the most expressive actor in the world (I mean he's pretty much a plank) but even then he manages to be really convincing most of the time. Problem is the rest of the time, when he sounds half asleep and completely unaware of the gravity of the situation the characters are in. I do find his presence and integration welcome enough, though, as it lends a sorely needed bit of banter to even some small side missions in a game where a solo protagonist would be rendered almost speechless and perhaps even characterless for the vast majority of playtime were it not for the opportunity to play off of the voice in his or her head. The plot, however, has 2 major problems. First off it does itself and the player a disservice by separating characters into groups and camping them in their respective islands, never to interact. Party based RPGs have an easy time of this by virtue of there being a party but if that comparison sounds unfair, consider then that Witcher 3 (hell, even 2) accomplishes this splendidly. Characters move about and seem ready to discuss themselves, each other, you and the world at large in a way that seems believable and the game makes no bones about setting up situations where it brings people together. In 2077 Goro and Hanako live on one island, Panam and the Aldecalientes live on another, Misty and Mamá live on another, River, Kerry, Judy, Vic and so on and so forth live in theirs and they -never- interact. Which is not only a waste of perfectly good characters, it only reinforces the feeling that the city -is- dead (a feeling borne of either bugs or missing/unfinished/cut content in the overworld) and at worse, it beggars belief. That one character seems to bring so many people around them who either appreciate or owe them and yet they're completely unaware of one another. V doesn't, ever, even bring them up in random conversations, of which you have a -ton-.
Then there's the ending. As I understand it
what Alt is supposed to do is essentially replace the chip (via software, if not physically) containing Johnny's engram with a chip with V's engram, hereby killing V, having the new chip/software resurrect V and eventually have their original personality+Johnny's overwritten with a new V personality, right? If that is the case, the 6 months thing just sounds like complete arsepull for drama's sake. And if it's not the case... well, why the fuck isn't it the case? They have the chip specs, they have access to V and they know how to make an engram. What's the problem???
That and the whole V being a witness to the murder mattering a single iota (because why the hell would it? It's not like he has a recording of the event, even though HE HAD A FUCKING CYBERNETIC EYE) are among a few seemingly dumb moments that signal "turn on brain-shut-down-mode" but fortunately the sci-fi wets the beak enough that they don't ruin it outright.

Oh, almost completely forgot the OST. Which is telling. There's 3 strong tracks on it and that's yer lot. What disappoints me, though, isn't lack of quality on the ost's part, it's the lack of melody- almost entirely replaced with droning and noise. But the worst is the lack of identity. Some of the most popular cyberpunk movies have instantly recognizable soundtracks whose point isn't that they're memorable, but that they signify/identify their movies and their movies' worlds. This one could fit a number of different games/movies/worlds and yet signifies almost nothing at all. It also doesn't help that you'll be listening to the radio most of the time. So rest assured, Shawn Lee, Bully is still the best open-world game ost.

So that's that. Still have shit to say (something about how modern influences combined with the raw-er eras where cyberpunk genre originated/evolved make this game's world seem incongruous or something of that nature) but I'm reaching critical Durandal levels. Time to die. Besides, if they couldn't be bothered finishing the fucking game, why would I finish the "review"?

TBA/5, would not recommend. Still love it, tho.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some of the most popular cyberpunk movies have instantly recognizable soundtracks whose point isn't that they're memorable, but that they signify/identify their movies and their movies' worlds. This one could fit a number of different games/movies/worlds and yet signifies almost nothing at all.

Agree with much of your review, except your points re. music. In particular, I think the ominous synth drones are excellent and really add to the mind-bending atmosphere of some of the quest themes. I also like that there's something for everyone on the radio (I exclusively listen to the jazz channel).

And the game does have a theme tune, it's this :)

It perfectly describes both the fun to be had just wandering about blasting ne'er-do-wells into oblivion, and the degeneracy the game is saturated with, in one somewhat old-fashioned, but very catchy techno-pop bundle.

Quillon

Arcane
what Alt is supposed to do is essentially replace the chip (via software, if not physically) containing Johnny's engram with a chip with V's engram, hereby killing V, having the new chip/software resurrect V and eventually have their original personality+Johnny's overwritten with a new V personality, right? If that is the case, the 6 months thing just sounds like complete arsepull for drama's sake. And if it's not the case... well, why the fuck isn't it the case? They have the chip specs, they have access to V and they know how to make an engram. What's the problem???

because keanu is compatible but V ain't with his own body m'kay!?

"you should have chosen keanu" as in "you should have chosen eric" :P

Alpharius

Scholar
Btw what if instead of this "Johnny talks inside your head about bad bad Arasaka while you steal new cybernetic dildo schematics for a client while knowing you have two weeks left to live" shit the story was like:

Prologue: same shit, could make V even more of a disgusting small-time thug, instead of a thug that thinks he has morals.
Act 1 instead of talking to Johnny, V starts getting dreams about him, then starts acting strangely, experiencing memory loss, sudden erections, wants to buy a guitar, etc.
Act 2 V is no more, Johnny discovers that he is born again in a body of a thug, wants revenge on Arasaka\wants to make sure Arasaka won't be making any more immortality chips\whatever. Steals cybernetic dildo schematics not fo fun and money but to gather resources, reputation to prepare for assault on Arasaka. Because people who have information and manpower won't instantly agree to help him. (Like, you know, every other RPG does.) Johnny doens't die in two weeks so he can do racing, boxing, dildo hunting, maybe record some new music in his spare time.
Act 3 etc.

Wouldn't it have been :4/5: instead of :2/5: ?
:negative:

Harthwain

Magister
I wouldn't say it's perfect- it's too western for my specific taste, especially the outskirts. But hell, even those parts look fantastic.
This is a strange thing to say, considering the action takes place in United States (California).

wyes gull

Savant
And the game does have a theme tune, it's this
For a second I thought you were gonna bring up that japanese song. You know the one. Makes me want to gouge out my eyes just so I can stuff them in my ears.
Agree with your point re; that track, even if I don't find it pleasurable to listen to. However, I want to at least clarify that when I criticize the OST, I'm excluding the radio stations. Which might seem unfair since I know at least some of the tracks in there are originals (Samurai's, possibly more) but I reckon the majority aren't and I'm not about to shit on Chet Baker because of 2077. Whose song, btw, was put to perfect use in the ending I got.
The title track "V" is a good example of the problem I have with it on the whole and I thought it was a solid track. That, the Silverhand theme (esp the cello version) and one other track that plays 15 mins into the credits were my picks.

This is a strange thing to say, considering the action takes place in United States (California).
How? I'd put my perfect cyberpunk city in east Asia rather than the USA, that's all I'm saying. To put across the point that even though it's not catering to specifically to me, it's still fantastic.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This is not a hero power fantasy self-insert as in 99% of rpgs. Can anyone give me another example where an RPG made you feel so powerless against your own inevitable demise no matter how much you thrash against your fate?
150087-planescape-torment-windows-front-cover.png

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Its weird to see people who think Silverhand should be the MC when he was supposed to be 1/5 characters of similar significance.

Was this always the plan? Because at one point Bowie was supposed to be JS, and I just can't imagine having David Bowie and 4 randos of 'equal importance.' Seems plausible that originally they had one character in mind, fucked around with "well what if there were 5," and then someone with similar star power to Bowie expressed interest in the project and they went back to that.

In the Cyberpunk 2013/2020/2077 lore Morgan Blackhand and Saburo are as relevant as Silverhand. Even Smasher has a similar amount of backstory. There are other relevant characters as well. Remember like Witcher CDPR didn't invent the IP. Its like 40 years old.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1.05 patch seems to have lowered draw distance even on "high" setting. Noticing a lot more pop in, and I barely noticed any before. Driving feels a lot more smooth, so I'm guessing these two things are related. Otherwise performance is roughly the same in my experience.

I'm also pretty sure they toned down the post processing film effects like chromatic aberration, which is a bummer as I thought this was the first game ever they looked good in due to matching the Blade Runner aesthetic.

mondblut

Arcane
But I think the Codex is a bit too fascistic about defining roleplaying purely in terms of gameplay, the element of goofing off and pretending is also part of it, and this game has that quite well.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying :smug:

Yes those are all ways of goofing off and pretending. What's your point?

That poofters who engage into this kind of faggotry should be relentlessly mocked out of our hobby, duh.

mondblut

Arcane
This is not a hero power fantasy self-insert as in 99% of rpgs. Can anyone give me another example where an RPG made you feel so powerless against your own inevitable demise no matter how much you thrash against your fate?

"So long ladies, I'm gonna go kick some ass in Hell" does not feel very "powerless". I think the ending movie from PST misses a final scene with some demons saying "oh shit, i'm outta here"

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I requested a refund with Steam after having played 25 hours. I like the game enough that I'll definitely buy it and play it, say, a year from now, but I'm not fucking with it now.

Requesting a refund to my steam wallet with 25 hours of playtime is a ballsy gambit. Will it pay off? I doubt it. I don't need the money or anything, I just decided I'm going to wait to play the game until it's in a better state so I thought I might as well try to get a refund to send a message.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't quite agree with that.

In Planescape: Torment you WANT to kill yourself, because the alternative is worse than death. And the whole game, right from the beginning, is more or less a testament of the initial Chosen One being successful in cheating death (and creating the whole mess).
By the way, it's also not a very challenging game, in the sense that you can't really lose, because you're literally immortal and there is no penalty for death in game.

Chickenhawk

Barely Literate
Its weird to see people who think Silverhand should be the MC when he was supposed to be 1/5 characters of similar significance.

Was this always the plan? Because at one point Bowie was supposed to be JS, and I just can't imagine having David Bowie and 4 randos of 'equal importance.' Seems plausible that originally they had one character in mind, fucked around with "well what if there were 5," and then someone with similar star power to Bowie expressed interest in the project and they went back to that.

In the Cyberpunk 2013/2020/2077 lore Morgan Blackhand and Saburo are as relevant as Silverhand. Even Smasher has a similar amount of backstory. There are other relevant characters as well. Remember like Witcher CDPR didn't invent the IP. Its like 40 years old.

Yes. But you see, those people are fake and so it is hard to hire them for real world voice acting to portray themselves. As it is CDPR would have to hire voice actors, and having 5 A list actors and/or rock stars seems like it would cut too deep into AAA producers' coke budgets to be feasible.

So, people were posting their Vs a bit ago. Here's mine at a point when I had a decent outfit.
myV.jpg

Also, those three story progression bars at the top of the journal...I thought they were, like, Johnny/Rogue's questline, Takemura's, and...the third one. Evelyn's/Judy's/Etc. I've been trying to do all three in relative tandem, but after doing all that, recognition is at 45%, and the other two have been sitting at about 10 since forever.

Am I doing something wrong? Do those progress in some other way?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
But I think the Codex is a bit too fascistic about defining roleplaying purely in terms of gameplay, the element of goofing off and pretending is also part of it, and this game has that quite well.

That poofters who engage into this kind of faggotry should be relentlessly mocked out of our hobby, duh.

What's your hobby? Wanking over graph paper? ;)

But seriously, there's nothing about roleplaying in that sense that precludes thoughtful gameplay. Is it too much to want it all?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So far as film noir goes, there's obvious borrowings in the game (and much of cyberpunk generally).

I'm even not sure game has noire elements. Not that I expert on noire genre - for me game's plot seems like typical revenge kid of plotline, with all the Arasaka and all. Is it typical for nore at all? Visuals of course, but it's secondary, and mostly for films, I'm not sure these are used in literature original source.

P.S. Been wanting to read Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon for long time, but couldn't find it in net on Russian sadly.

Game has many faults but the narrative isn't one of them. I love the oppressing feeling, that you are fucked no matter what. The game hammers the point that you are a broken thing and easily discarded, not just about you but about many other characters as well, for example like evalyn and jackie. This is not a hero power fantasy self-insert as in 99% of rpgs. Can anyone give me another example where an RPG made you feel so powerless against your own inevitable demise no matter how much you thrash against your fate?

Sadly, gamemechanics contradicts all these completely.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I requested a refund with Steam after having played 25 hours. I like the game enough that I'll definitely buy it and play it, say, a year from now, but I'm not fucking with it now.

Requesting a refund to my steam wallet with 25 hours of playtime is a ballsy gambit. Will it pay off? I doubt it. I don't need the money or anything, I just decided I'm going to wait to play the game until it's in a better state so I thought I might as well try to get a refund to send a message.

Honest question, what problems are you having? I'm amazed how smooth my experience has been considering how many people are complaining.

mondblut

Arcane

What's your hobby? Wanking over graph paper? ;)

aaf.png

just

Liturgist
So, people were posting their Vs a bit ago. Here's mine at a point when I had a decent outfit.

Also, those three story progression bars at the top of the journal...I thought they were, like, Johnny/Rogue's questline, Takemura's, and...the third one. Evelyn's/Judy's/Etc. I've been trying to do all three in relative tandem, but after doing all that, recognition is at 45%, and the other two have been sitting at about 10 since forever.

Am I doing something wrong? Do those progress in some other way?
left is sidequests. judy, panam, ...
middle is how much you suck up to johnny. can get different ending if high enough.
right is whatever, no effect on anything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom