Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
I played BG and BG2 first on an android tablet( always was more of an F1-2 guy, later replayed BG on PC) and had more fun than I did playing DOS games.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If anything, Larian wants you to rest often since a lot of story development happens in the camp. So I don't expect BG3 will ever have any restrictions on spamming long rests, and having a party of full casters unloading all their spells in every fight will be a viable, if boring way to play.

Interesting, I tried to play the game keeping the now unimplemented resting restrictions in mind, and always pushed the party as far as possible before long resting. Mostly because I expected the resting restrictions to be like Pathfinder Kingmaker. But you are absolutely right, those are very unwelcome amongst casuals, which are undoubtly Larian's target audience.

So if you want to rest often instead of as rarely as possible the list stays the same, except Wizard and Warlock trade places, and the Cleric moves above the Ranger.
I still think ranged is much much stronger than melee, the weird way in which larian's engine calculates movements cucks you out of attacks in melee range too often.

Ulysa

Scholar
I played BG and BG2 first on an android tablet( always was more of an F1-2 guy, later replayed BG on PC) and had more fun than I did playing DOS games.
My sincere respects. Someone I know couldn't even play Icewind Dale on PC when I tried to introduce him to these games. Apparently he cast a magic missile too late and the enemy was already dead when it hit him, wasting his spell. "What a crap" , he uttered in voice chat. Guy couldn't get real time because he was used to DOS2 training wheels. What it bothers me is that he didn't even try to learn, too proud to fathom the idea that perhaps beating DOS2 or X-COM doesn't make you an instant strategy genius in all games. :|

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I still think ranged is much much stronger than melee, the weird way in which larian's engine calculates movements cucks you out of attacks in melee range too often.

Little appreciated how much this is the case in P:K as well. There are work arounds but few are even aware for the need.

CHoSen OnE (with most lame and overused cliche background since New Testament was written) with world rolling around your character, instead of being adventurer among other adventurers on their quest.

This is the greatest problem of BG1/2 IMO.

Chosen one stuff doesn't really enter the series until Throne of Bhaal. BG1 technically starts off with hints of it, but that is unknown to the player and has no narrative impact until nearly the end of the game. If anyone is the "chosen one" in BG1, it's Sarevok. BG2 is very similar. It starts off with a problem around you being "special", but after that, it has no impact until very late in the game. Throne of Bhaal is where all the real power fantasy, ego stroke, and sweeping doom come into play. At that time, it's entirely warranted and appropriate.

I STRONGLY disagree. DOS2 is far more simplistic than PFKM while BG1/2 is the opposite.

PFKM has a complex and nuanced system. The Baldur's Gate system does not. It's my all time favorite series, but Baldur's Gate (1 or 2) does not involve any kind of number crunching, at all. There is nothing to crunch because there is almost nothing to build after creation. Character creation is more of a table reference exercise than any kind of calculation. Items are very clear as to how which are better, even if you are totally oblivious to how lower values on saves/THACO/AC are superior. Spells clearly define what they do and how. Since the game provides the player with no in-game means of assessing an enemies capabilities or statistics, the player has to rely on trial and error from the combat log and metaknowledge (lore).

Numerically, even clueless children can stumble their way through the game on this basis. That's exactly what we did. Where the game excels and makes demands of the player, is how they apply these tools. Understanding the value of Sleep instead of Magic Missile at low level. Using Spell Immunity: Divination in conjunction with Improved Invisibility to become un-targetable. Diversifying weapon types to circumvent enemy damage resistances/immunities, etc. While the BG series can be challenging and lethal, none of that nuance comes from its mechanical complexity (or lack thereof). *Edited for grammar

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
An abundance of gold and loot is a by-product of some areas/encounters/items deliberately being implemented to be missable, so if you're a completionist that tries to explore as many areas as possible (which I imagine a lot of players try to) you'll probably end up with way more shit than you're expected to have.
I'm equally annoyed that the author of that thread seems to have found 28 different keys solely in the first area. Without a way to manage keys and books your inventory is going to become an abhorrent mess somewhere down the line.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm equally annoyed that the author of that thread seems to have found 28 different keys solely in the first area. Without a way to manage keys and books your inventory is going to become an abhorrent mess somewhere down the line.
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to a new episode of your favorite show:

WHAT WILL RUSTY SAY?

Today's options are the following:

(a) git gud

(b) the inventory has a lot of filtering options

(c) cleverly managing your inventory and remembering the stuff you have is part of the life of an adventurer, and if you don't like doing it you are a degenerate and should have been gatekept from RPGs

Black

Arcane
Arcanum invented such a thing as a keychain but maybe that's too steampunk and not basic bitch FR enough.

Gargaune

Magister
Heh, "down the line." The inventory clutter's enough of an abhorrent mess even in the EA, don't worry. In fact, I might as well stay the course and say it's like NWN2 pushed Skyrim down a back alley and stole all of its candlesticks.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to a new episode of your favorite show:

WHAT WILL RUSTY SAY?

Today's options are the following:

(a) git gud

(b) the inventory has a lot of filtering options

(c) cleverly managing your inventory and remembering the stuff you have is part of the life of an adventurer, and if you don't like doing it you are a degenerate and should have been gatekept from RPGs

................"git gud"

"cleverly managing your inventory etc. "

................................. "the inventory has a lot of filtering options"

................"KingComrade (oh, Swen!)"

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have the impression, that may be false for all I know, that most original sin fans are people who enjoyed the front loaded experience of both games and that never finished. The gameplay experience degrades very fast.

The gameplay experience degrades very fast.

That happens when your game lack of writing, memorable characters, good loot and satisfying skills.
The writing wasn't really meaningfully better or worse than most other titles in the genre, included several fo the CODEX darlings.

What I always found grating about both the D:OS games was mostly how fucking broken the progression system/itemization became after a while.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
They should eventually come to the conclusion that they are actually playing D:OS3.

People on here are still in denial about that.
Who would've thought 20+ years of technical progress and a new ruleset would result in a different game.

Keep crying though, it's still Baldur's Gate 3 and nothing will change that fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom