Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples: Liberation - "a new beginning" for the series

No one besides indie dev would make a 2D game with artwork like Disciples 2 or whatever unless it is a nostalgia-fueled project like Pillars that try to emulate old IE games especially when the original games are niche to begin with.

The cinematic trailer looks like shit tbh, but the screenshot of the game in Steam looks OK if mediocre. Disciples 3 try too hard to become a HOMM clone, but honestly considering HOMM is dead I wouldn't mind if this becomes a HOMM RPG hybrid ala King's Bounty.

Considering the no name dev and Kalypso library of completely mediocre games I am not having too much hope for this but we'll see if this will be decently playable.

I wouldn't even necessary say it'd need to be 2D. It's be smart to do it in 2D, because these developers could do something on the cheap that also would likely get more eyes on them than what I've seen of the actual game. But even in 3D, that Battle Chasers game Joe Madureira did does his style pretty wonderfully, and his style is basically the style of the first two games...more so the first one which had better portrait art.

I'd be cool with moving units around. But I don't think a straight HoM&M clone is as interesting given Disciples (and presumably this new one too) is single units instead of Heroes where they can be armies. If it's tactics instead of strategy I'd rather have something like Final Fantasy Tactics where stuff like height comes into play. Although I'm surprised that's even something they're doing as opposed to the original, because I'd imagine that'd just simply cost them less money. I'd also think having combat like the first two games, which fell more in line with JRPGs of the time, would be more of a hook now with some of the releases of the last few years.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'd also think having combat like the first two games, which fell more in line with JRPGs of the time, would be more of a hook now with some of the releases of the last few years.

I've always preferred that. JRPG style would be great, ofc without all that retarded funfair sound and flashy visuals.

On the one hand, Disciples 2 is what computers were invented for and one of the very few aesthetic milestones to maybe outclass Icewind Dale.
I sadly have to admit that the uniqueness of Disiples aesthetics died the moment the colorful and wonderful Warhammer games were released.
As for the hype ... Heck, Disiples's aesthetics have always been about hype. First we had anime, then Warhammer. That interesting music also came from the anime game. The plot was never interesting and the gameplay was too drawn out.
>colourful
>warhammer

You mean this..

Or this

or maybe this

Yup I could see the Demonculaba featuring in a Warhammer cartoon series on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.

Archibald

Arcane
Exactly this. They scored a homerun when they shrunk the retardedly oversized combat arena. I still prefer the D2 static format - the strategic benefits of an arena aren't sufficient to outweigh the increased length and grindiness of combat - but unlike the OG at least it's playable.

I was one of those unlucky retards to play D3 on release and oh my. I remember some campaign maps had automatic reinforcements for AI, like every few turns new hero would spawn at the border of the map and attack one of the guardian rods... and the meaningless battles would take forever.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the one hand, Disciples 2 is what computers were invented for and one of the very few aesthetic milestones to maybe outclass Icewind Dale.
I sadly have to admit that the uniqueness of Disiples aesthetics died the moment the colorful and wonderful Warhammer games were released.
As for the hype ... Heck, Disiples's aesthetics have always been about hype. First we had anime, then Warhammer. That interesting music also came from the anime game. The plot was never interesting and the gameplay was too drawn out.
>colourful
>warhammer

You mean this..

Or this

or maybe this

Yup I could see the Demonculaba featuring in a Warhammer cartoon series on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.

the Warhammer aesthetics was never constant, I mean you could also show this pictures:

ppeg7h12b5vh.jpg

pic381875.jpg

warhammer-40-000-condensed-rulebook-2004-4th-edition-3745-1-p.jpg

CodexImperialis.jpg

Of course the official art varied in how colorful it was, all along the 30 years of existence of the franchise.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
No.
I really don't know why they are resurecting this franchise. It's not a beloved cult classic like Dungeon Keeper, it was not very popular back in a day. Sure, the first game was decent and the second was brilliant, but even the second one couldn't help Strategy First to build a succesful franchise.

In Poland it was the most popular of HoMM likes back in the day.
Same in Czech. Tied with HoMM in popularity. And I'm p. sure it was huge in Russia and the rest of Eastern Yuro too.

I think devs and businesses in general are slowly realizing Eastern Yuro isn't a total poorhouse anymore and it's a 200+ million strong market. Plus a game like this isn't gonna cost a gazillion to make, they don't need GTA5 sales to make a bundle.
Always liked Disciples more than Heroes - waaaay better art direction and graphics which hold up to this day, and a more serious narrative which made me actually want to play through all the campaigns for all races. Also lots more accessible - I'd say it almost played like a card game with animated units, than a real TB strategy.
The only heroes i can say i enjoyed is HoMM2 because of the great art design, and homm4 because of the new mechanics.
Still the whole of HoMM is too much about collecting trinklets around the map rather than strategy.

I think both Disciples series and Age of Wonders series are superior.
Disciples for its simpler and straightforward battles, aesthetic, and just overall snappy and fun gameplay and Age of Wonders for the opposite, more complex tactical battles and more of a mix of Civ elements. And both series thankfully dont feature collectibles littered around the maps, AoW 1 for example can even be called barren compared to HoMM (especially 4). And i also found that in both Disciples and AoW each move you make is important as it can make or break your game. I didnt get that feeling with HoMM, i could be a lot more care free there with my moves each turn.

I always thought Disciples was a good first step into what it was going for. But the combat seemed like something that could be fleshed out more, it seemed like each of the classes could have more things they could do.

Testownia

No.
I really don't know why they are resurecting this franchise. It's not a beloved cult classic like Dungeon Keeper, it was not very popular back in a day. Sure, the first game was decent and the second was brilliant, but even the second one couldn't help Strategy First to build a succesful franchise.

In Poland it was the most popular of HoMM likes back in the day.
Same in Czech. Tied with HoMM in popularity. And I'm p. sure it was huge in Russia and the rest of Eastern Yuro too.

I think devs and businesses in general are slowly realizing Eastern Yuro isn't a total poorhouse anymore and it's a 200+ million strong market. Plus a game like this isn't gonna cost a gazillion to make, they don't need GTA5 sales to make a bundle.
Always liked Disciples more than Heroes - waaaay better art direction and graphics which hold up to this day, and a more serious narrative which made me actually want to play through all the campaigns for all races. Also lots more accessible - I'd say it almost played like a card game with animated units, than a real TB strategy.
The only heroes i can say i enjoyed is HoMM2 because of the great art design, and homm4 because of the new mechanics.
Still the whole of HoMM is too much about collecting trinklets around the map rather than strategy.

I think both Disciples series and Age of Wonders series are superior.
Disciples for its simpler and straightforward battles, aesthetic, and just overall snappy and fun gameplay and Age of Wonders for the opposite, more complex tactical battles and more of a mix of Civ elements. And both series thankfully dont feature collectibles littered around the maps, AoW 1 for example can even be called barren compared to HoMM (especially 4). And i also found that in both Disciples and AoW each move you make is important as it can make or break your game. I didnt get that feeling with HoMM, i could be a lot more care free there with my moves each turn.

If you want a game that will really break your balls in terms of "where to move, and when" and resource management, try playing The Void on the default difficulty.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A FAQ was posted on the Steam page last month: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1287840/view/3075372026661498611

Disciples: Liberation - FAQ

Genre: Dark fantasy strategy RPG

Release date: Q4 2021

Age rating: Pending

Platforms: PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES X/S

Disciples: Liberation is a mature, dark fantasy strategy RPG allowing players to liberate the land of Nevendaar and uncover the endless stories hidden within a richly detailed world

Disciples: Liberation in numbers

• 80+ hours of gameplay

• 270+ quests

• 5 different endings

• 9 unique companions

• 50+ units

• 4 unique player classes

• 4 in-world factions

What are the main features of Disciples: Liberation?

• 80+ hour single-player campaign: experience a dark fantasy epic over three acts, with more than 270 quests and 5 unique endings

• Explore a war-torn realm: journey through 4 diverse environments – from luscious woodlands to fiery volcanic plains and icy tundra – and unearth the secrets hidden within the land

• Journey together: join forces with 4 in-game factions - from proud elven clans to remorseless undead hordes, each with their own motivations and gameplay incentives

• Write your own story: pick from 4 uniquely skilled classes and define your place in the world, recruiting others to take up arms for your cause

• Build a base: take on quests for precious resources and use political savvy to build a place of planning and sanctuary

• Fight for your life: recruit 50+ units and build an army best suited to your play style whilst honing both steel and spell in intricate-turned based combat

• Challenge deadly bosses: pit your party against horrific monsters and beasts, each requiring a unique strategy

• Choice is everything: let your decisions guide your fate and directly influence what sort of leader you become

• Fight your friends: put forth the ultimate challenge and battle for supremacy in 2-player online skirmishes

Who is the main character?

Follow Avyanna – child of two worlds and yet part of none – on her dark journey that will change Nevendaar forever. Starting out as an unknown and petty mercenary, her quest will lead you through sorrow and bloodshed to gaining control of a mighty army, ready to challenge fate.

In this dark fantasy strategy RPG you follow Avyanna on her journey through a dark and war-torn world in real-time and explore a breathing, vivid world filled with magic, mystery, and political intrigue.

With your army, which can be recruited from over 50 units, you'll fight complex turn-based battles against beastly creatures, in which only proper tactics will lead to victory.

Who is developing the game?

Frima Studio, located in Quebec City, Canada, are developing Disciples: Liberation.

On which platforms will Disciples: Liberation be released?

PC, PlayStation 4|5, XBOX ONE and XBOX SERIES X/XS.

When will Disciples: Liberation be released?

At present, the game will be launched in Q4 2021.

Which engine does Disciples: Liberation use?

Disciples: Liberation is developed using the Unity Engine.

Will Disciples: Liberation include multiplayer?

  Yes. You can battle with a friend in two-player online skirmishes

Will there be a physical retail version of the game?

Boxed retail versions for Disciples: Liberation will be available on all available platforms – however, availability may depend on your location.

Will the whole map be accessible from the beginning of the game?

In Disciples: Liberation, you will unlock new areas throughout your journey through Nevendaar.

Will Disciples: Liberation feature modding support?

No, there are no plans to include modding support.

Which languages will Disciples: Liberation support?

The game will support English and German audio and subtitles.

There will also be subtitles for Russian, Simplified Chinese, French, Japanese and Spanish.

How long will it take to beat the main campaign?

The main campaign will take more than 80 hours to finish, depending on a player’s skill and willingness to explore the world.

Will we be using one leader that is given to us or will we be able to pick what leader we can use? 

The player follows the story of Avyanna – the protagonist of Disciples: Liberation. However it’s up to you to decide what sort of leader she will become. Shape Avyanna's destiny and experience 1 of different endings or maybe even the additional secret ending. Influence the behavior of the factions with your decisions. During Avyanna's journey there is also the chance of romantic encounters.  

Which factions will be included in Disciples: Liberation? 

Avyanna will be able to join forces with the Legion of the Damned, the Undead Hordes, the Elven Alliance and the Empire. 

  

How many Lord Classes will there be? 

You You start as a mercenary, then you can unlock 4 additional classes for Avyanna, each with their own unique skills. 

  

Is there a map editor that we can use to create maps or campaigns to play with other players in multiplayer?

Currently, for Disciples: Liberation, no map editor is planned.   

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Don't see the problem. Disciples was always full of romantic encounters, especially first. Like when you sent your angel to paint some map SUDDENLY WILD VALKYRIE APPEARS and rapes everyone.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I love the fact they don't even acknowledge the rest of the series exists anywhere in that FAQ. Usually there's be some filler statement about how they're fans of the original and staying as true to them as possible or something.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Like when you sent your angel to paint some map SUDDENLY WILD VALKYRIE APPEARS and rapes everyone.
Bring it, bitch.

d2-archangel-hero.jpg
Disciples 2 is easy. AI is lazy and never bombards you with spells if your turn ends outside of city walls. + you can't make full party with rod heroes in first game because of level cap. Still cleared it with archangel.

Gargaune

Magister
Disciples 2 is easy. AI is lazy and never bombards you with spells if your turn ends outside of city walls. + you can't make full party with rod heroes in first game because of level cap. Still cleared it with archangel.
Same, took one through the base campaign and the expansion, that screenshot's from the end of the latter. It's painful at first, until you get your first Leadership upgrade, but it gets well fun later on.

Dodo1610

Arcane
avyanna.png

Odd now it has a fixed female protagonist when earlier they said that you can fully customize your hero.
Still, I want this to be decent since there aren't enough edgy dark fantasy RPGs for some reason.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I like female protagonists but i hate ugly haircuts. I think i will skip this game. Also xir armor is like something from wow. Many gothic!

Reinhardt

Arcane
No, seriously - i would never guessed it's character from disciples. Even if my life depended on it. It's like producer said "disciples art is stylish and unique? make something totally opposite"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No, seriously - i would never guessed it's character from disciples. Even if my life depended on it. It's like producer said "disciples art is stylish and unique? make something totally opposite"
Yeah,it looks very generic.

I always liked to play the first one with the endless move points cheat. Enjoyed exploring the map and reading story. Never cared for the AI. That is why i like king's bounty the most from all the similar games,don't have to use cheats to enjoy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom