Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I don't expect you cowards to actually not play this game. Can you at least pirate it? Can we have an 'official Codex GoG bg3 installation sharing thread' so that if any of you lose your way, you're at least not supporting it financially? This game is revolting, and we're looking at the next lurch in rpg quality drops.

All I see are larian cultists being impressed with features that already exists everywhere, while ignoring obvious features that should be in. Either way, I'm ready to transition my favorite game from BG2 to IWD now.
Bro you deserve this game being made.
What does that even mean? This isn't about me though. This is about a legacy.

Cnaiur

Augur
I don't expect you cowards to actually not play this game. Can you at least pirate it? Can we have an 'official Codex GoG bg3 installation sharing thread' so that if any of you lose your way, you're at least not supporting it financially? This game is revolting, and we're looking at the next lurch in rpg quality drops.

All I see are larian cultists being impressed with features that already exists everywhere, while ignoring obvious features that should be in. Either way, I'm ready to transition my favorite game from BG2 to IWD now.

I'll give you an excerpt of my bank statement after buying the game 10 times. Just let me know how to gift it to you.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

I can't ask for a better promoter of BG3, thank you.

Harthwain

Magister
If an indy got a large budget, they would squander it just the same as a AAA developer. Look at how terrible AAA is at management. That's people (purportedly) trained to manage people and money. Indies don't even have that.
A mark of a good indie is knowing what you can afford with the resources you have. It also makes you go for creative solutions to your problems.

It is nice to see larian fanboys putting the same effort in their posts as larian is in making this game.
You are trying too hard. I get that some don't like the direction Larian is taking the game, but suggesting that Larian is not putting any effort in making the game is straining credulity.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Probably people are still disappointed the game is not real time with pause. But given the ruleset of the 5th edition is not something that you can do in real time with pause.
They also told that they will implement Reactions just like in Solasta.

To me they have the right card to make a worthy D&D game.

Some deluded fan would say... Oh better if it was Obsidian to make it.

Such a shame that Obsidian focus now is in.. Shooters... And shooters with swords.

Larian gets much bashing on the other hands nobody says something when Obsidian try to turn an isometric RPG ip in a first person Action RPG.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian gets much bashing on the other hands nobody says something when Obsidian try to turn an isometric RPG ip in a first person Action RPG.
Oh, don't you worry, Obsidian is getting their fair share of snarky comments. At least around here they do.

As far as Larian goes, we're starting to see the fruits of their labour. Which, at least as far as I'm concerned, is slowly winning me over. Especially since they've kept the woke trash to a minimum.

As far Obsidian goes, they're now part of the Microsoft machine. I expect nothing but blind obedience and mass appeal.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Probably people are still disappointed the game is not real time with pause.

Disagreed. People who played great TB games like Temple of Elemental Evi, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands/Wake of the Ravager and Knights of the Chalice tends to like Turn Based RPG's. Most people who hate turn based played only bad TB games and thinks that all TB games are tedious.

Such a shame that Obsidian focus now is in.. Shooters... And shooters with swords.

What is the problem of "shooters"? Shooter RPG's like Fallout New Vegas are amazing. And picking a isometric RtWP game and making it FP is not a problem when you consider how rare first person RPG's are on modern market. On 90s, only talking about D&D adaptation, I can list the 3 Eye of The Beholder games, Ravenloft : Stone Prophet/Strahd's Possession, Menzoberranzan, Dungeon Hack(...) and if we count the non D&D games, we have the Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall, Might & Magic series(...)

The first RPG of my life was Might & Magic VII : For blood and Honor and it was amazing.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Probably people are still disappointed the game is not real time with pause.

Disagreed. People who played great TB games like Temple of Elemental Evi, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands/Wake of the Ravager and Knights of the Chalice tends to like Turn Based RPG's. Most people who hate turn based played only bad TB games and thinks that all TB games are tedious.

What is the problem of "shooters"? Shooter RPG's like Fallout New Vegas are amazing. And picking a isometric RtWP game and making it FP is not a problem when you consider how rare first person RPG's are on modern market. On 90s, only talking about D&D adaptation, I can list the 3 Eye of The Beholder games, Ravenloft : Stone Prophet/Strahd's Possession, Menzoberranzan, Dungeon Hack(...) and if we count the non D&D games, we have the Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall, Might & Magic series(...)

The first RPG of my life was Might & Magic VII : For blood and Honor and it was amazing.

Not a problem with them however....

Fallout new vegas was done when obsidian were different.... The new Obsidian rpg was the outer worlds. And it were very very mediocre as rpg.

Obsidian lost their touch. Just read the recent sawyer posts.

It is clear as the sun something is changed.

My problem with first person rpgs today is basically:

We made the game first person so we can get the actiony shooter audience and at the same save money so we don't have to animate too much.

Example of this? Cyberpunk, The outer worlds and i can go on and on.

Is no more done in a mentality where you develop in depth rpgs.

Even the Early Access of Bg3 with all the flaw it has posses more roleplay elements and character agency of both the outer worlds and cyberpunk 2077 combined.

Notice i am using the "modern" FPP rpg in comparsion and not the old one for this reason.

The gaming industry today is more inclined to develop toys rather than games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We made the game first person so we can get the actiony shooter audience and at the same save money so we don't have to animate too much.

Disagreed. There are a lot of third person shooters.

As for animations, this is not truth. Pick Children's Online Daycare, you have 3D models and animations for the player viewed by other players and reloading and animations for first person. First person perspective is the most immersive perspective.

Disagreed. Look to elder scrolls series. Daggerfall and Morrowind has way more depth compared to Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Online. both are first person games. Skyrim has first person but has a lot of forced third person moments. You can't be a vampire lord on first person on Skyrim. Nor Werewolf, but you can play morrowind as werewolf in first person. Obviously, playing morrowind as a werewolf is a shooter /just kidding.

character agency of both the outer worlds and cyberpunk 2077 combined.

Agreed. But this is not a problem of the camera perspective. People aren't interested in making more games like FNV and VtMB.

Saravan

Savant
On a side note I appreciate that Meredoth went full LARP and put an actual lich as his forum avatar. Was a long time coming tbh and it delivers much needed immersion for the next autism rant about BG3 not allowing you to summon 50 skeletons etc.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/co...lines/bloodlines-from-paizo/undead-bloodline/
Here it comes another essay about why Liches are cool.

Or how liches should have a harem of succubus despite not having a penis.

Not truth. On Pathfinder undead bloodline "Perhaps one of your ancestors became a powerful lich or vampire, or maybe you were born dead before suddenly returning to life. Either way, the forces of death move through you and touch your every action." source

Even if liches lose his reproductive organs on lichdoom(which there is no indication), a caster capable of casting limited wish or "true" wish CAN use it to get it back.

On a side note I appreciate that Meredoth went full LARP and put an actual lich as his forum avatar. Was a long time coming tbh and it delivers much needed immersion for the next autism rant about BG3 not allowing you to summon 50 skeletons etc.

The Lich avatar is not "larp", if you read Meredoth story "He was predisposed to neither the path of lichdom, deeming it beneath his abilities, nor the path of ascension, deeming its demands on his time too great. Instead he opted for the alchemical exilirs that kept the Alphatian elite youthful" source

On 5E, I believe that is impossible to have 50 undeads in a lv 10 max campaing. At lv 10

3rd level: = 3 undead
4th level: 3×4 = 12 undead
5th level: 2×6 = 12 undead
Total : 27 undeads.

Baldur's Gate 2 had a summon cap of 5. Age of Conan, a MMO has a 8 summon cap which cna be raised to 11.

Note that I din't mentioned the points which I admit that I repeated a lot. Only posted to defend first person camera perspective. You is bringing the atrocious "you can't have familiar + mage hand" summon limit from BG3 discussion back.

Saravan

Savant
It is honestly impressive how you interpret posts so literally going so far as to holding a math seminar on why exactly 50 skeletons is impossible under 5e, (also one of the tell-tale signs of autism). I should be more careful of what I write moving forward.

Anonona

Learned
Even if liches lose his reproductive organs on lichdoom(which there is no indication), a caster capable of casting limited wish or "true" wish CAN use it to get it back.

A strap-on is no a real penis, no matter how much you wish for it. Without mentioning that a lich wouldn't even have any libido to begin with considering, you know, the lack of organs and such. Lichdom is pursued in the first place by those lacking interest in earthly goods and pleasures and dedicated to supreme power and knowledge, a.k.a, nerds. A lich wouldn't be interested in a sucubus beyond how they can use them to further their own goals.
No snu-snu for you.

If you want to be undead and non-virgin, become a vampire.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm excited about all the new datamining that will happen in the new patch. The druid patch illuminated a whole lot, even though it seemingly didn't add much beyond druids.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Disagreed. There are a lot of third person shooters.

As for animations, this is not truth. Pick Children's Online Daycare, you have 3D models and animations for the player viewed by other players and reloading and animations for first person. First person perspective is the most immersive perspective.

Disagreed. Look to elder scrolls series. Daggerfall and Morrowind has way more depth compared to Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Online. both are first person games. Skyrim has first person but has a lot of forced third person moments. You can't be a vampire lord on first person on Skyrim. Nor Werewolf, but you can play morrowind as werewolf in first person. Obviously, playing morrowind as a werewolf is a shooter /just kidding.

character agency of both the outer worlds and cyberpunk 2077 combined.

Agreed. But this is not a problem of the camera perspective. People aren't interested in making more games like FNV and VtMB.

1) That was not the point i am well aware there are many third person shooters. As for animation. Animate the behaviour of a FPP only game is vastly different to animate something for third person in mind. Just a single word. Collisions. In a first person game only there is only the illusion of collision what happens is that you swing a weapon that will be displayed to swing in front of your screen apply a blood particle effect and make the ennemy play and on hit animation. There are FPP games that does that with collision one of them is kingdom come deliverance and even there you can see how the collision effect in place is not truly a collision but an animation that is meant to simulate collision. ((this is why the combat in kingdom come results choppy and akward at the time)) Not to mention that in first person the movements is extremely not dynamic and limited in third person you have to animate a lot of more things like for example side dodging. B ackward walking and diagonal walking. In FPP this often gets animated with an akward skating running or walking animation. Reload animations happens in third person as well. The difference is in FPP you have only to animate the hands. In TPP you have to animate the full body and make it take in account also the movement.

2) The elder scroll series. The old games Daggerfall,Morrowind were done with a different mentality in mind and you can tell the difference between those and Oblivion and SKyrim that are no more first person only but FPP/TPP the games are still built with First person in mind. And this is why the movement is akward and the attacks are bad animated. Again i am comparing only the modern approach to FPP rpgs not the past.

3) Ffp often draw more action or shooters oriented players. And because often those players are the polar opposite of rpg players the rpg needs to be dumbed down to kingdom come in order to have big sales. Take for example Kingdom Come Deliverance. All FPP and a pretty solid rpg however was not as much popular after the release. Still is a valid title as an rpg very very valid. But is not suited for the "Mainstream audience" this is why THe outer worlds and Cyberpunk are pretty subpar as RPG and super action and shooting packed.

You can see yourself. Even in youtube. Everyone can download the Unreal Engine and do a FPS on the fly. They are not really that hard to make.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It is honestly impressive how you interpret posts so literally going so far as to holding a math seminar on why exactly 50 skeletons is impossible under 5e

I think what's most poignant here is the fact his calculation of the possible number of skeletons summoned under 5E was in response to a statement about "autism rants"

Harthwain

Magister
3) Ffp often draw more action or shooters oriented players. And because often those players are the polar opposite of rpg players the rpg needs to be dumbed down to kingdom come in order to have big sales. Take for example Kingdom Come Deliverance. All FPP and a pretty solid rpg however was not as much popular after the release. Still is a valid title as an rpg very very valid. But is not suited for the "Mainstream audience" this is why THe outer worlds and Cyberpunk are pretty subpar as RPG and super action and shooting packed.
This is a pretty weird claim to me. How exactly do you measure Kingdom Come: Deliverance's popularity "after the release" and how much time "after the release"? Because from where I stood the game was hot for months (and reception got better and better with patches).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Really, this discussion was the inevitable conclusion to a thread that started with such relevant topics of discussion as whether BG3 had the appropriate tadpole lore or not

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The point of having a harem is not to fuck them, but to say you have a harem and for it to serve as a status symbol. Reproduction and working organs don't figure into it (99% of the time).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom