Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
[While I DO value systemic design and "things that are in games for a practical reason" being dismissive over the power of immersive details, internal consistency and the illusion of creating an actual "sense of place" strikes me as incredibly unimaginative, if not downright idiotic.

If you read the whole thread you're right he does sounds like an idiot. Oddly enough in the same way you're being an idiot here.

In the specific exchange I quoted they're both right. Interactivity is immersion. The beginning of Enderal (this example comes to mind because I just played it) sux so hard because you can't interact with any of it. It's a movie not a game.

Whereas the changes Larian's making here are to increase interactivity and so are to the good.

This guy is interesting:

Feel like they’re headed to a better place immersion-wise. Fuzzy boundaries on bounded skill checks are themselves more immersive while also being better gameplay.
How does someone get to the point where they think level design is not a part of gameplay mechanics?

Shrimp

Arbiter
This guy is interesting:

Feel like they’re headed to a better place immersion-wise. Fuzzy boundaries on bounded skill checks are themselves more immersive while also being better gameplay.
How does someone get to the point where they think level design is not a part of gameplay mechanics?
My initial guess would be an overexposure to 'cinematic experience' games where everything is told to you or showed in hour long cutscenes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dunno how new the point is on the Codex though. It's why people were so critical of Age of Decadence's teleporting as well, after all.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Ontopoly You see dat Ontoposh*t, people LOVE ME !

And where's the filthy bulgarian?
The post you quoted is calling out your cultist personality and blindness in this thread. People acting like the pasty fuck that is swen is some otherworldly creature of fun are literal degenerates. It's actually worrying to me that people like you exist. People so obsessed and enamored with swen dumbfuck that you would pretend to be him. There's more soul in your obsession with me than there is in Swen's entire reasoning for making BG3. How pathetic do you have to be to pretend to be someone so pathetic? Is that you aiming up? Pasty cunt

My initial guess would be an overexposure to 'cinematic experience' games where everything is told to you or showed in hour long cutscenes.
Video games should be viewed in a holistic way, as a gestalt form rather than a series of disparate elements. Perhaps viewing these elements as separate from one another is a sign that development teams have become unmanageably bloated and isolated from each other's creative input.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Christ that LARP section made my balls shrivel. I had to skip ahead. Half the players (probably the ones who were actual developers) looked and acted like they didn't want to be there.

I must admit, I do like the idea of specific campsites, but that's hardly what I would call "gameplay," Sven. How are you getting on with the "translating from tabletop to CRPG" that you were talking about as a problem a wee while ago? That's what I want to know.

Desiderius

Patron
Video games should be viewed in a holistic way, as a gestalt form rather than a series of disparate elements. Perhaps viewing these elements as separate from one another is a sign that development teams have become unmanageably bloated and isolated from each other's creative input.

That’s more or less the Grummz take too as I understand it. Once you get north of Dunbar’s Number things naturally get fragmented.

I like this one too:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I don't expect you cowards to actually not play this game. Can you at least pirate it? Can we have an 'official Codex GoG bg3 installation sharing thread' so that if any of you lose your way, you're at least not supporting it financially? This game is revolting, and we're looking at the next lurch in rpg quality drops.

All I see are larian cultists being impressed with features that already exists everywhere, while ignoring obvious features that should be in. Either way, I'm ready to transition my favorite game from BG2 to IWD now.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
You should zoom Shadowheart boota anons! You should!

I'm sorry, my Retard to English translator is broken. What in the hell are you talking about?
I don't remember the technical stuff. But Baldur's Gate 3 spawns characters naked. Shadowheart has textured bewbs. I don't have the webm to show you. You're going to have to trust me on this.

Desiderius

Patron
I don't expect you cowards to actually not play this game. Can you at least pirate it? Can we have an 'official Codex GoG bg3 installation sharing thread' so that if any of you lose your way, you're at least not supporting it financially? This game is revolting, and we're looking at the next lurch in rpg quality drops.

All I see are larian cultists being impressed with features that already exists everywhere, while ignoring obvious features that should be in. Either way, I'm ready to transition my favorite game from BG2 to IWD now.

They earned this purchase with D:OSII and having the balls to go after the BG franchise. Who else even tried?

If it sux then the next game will have to earn my interest. As far as Sven goes you have to judge the Belge on a lower curve.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ontopoly You see dat Ontoposh*t, people LOVE ME !

And where's the filthy bulgarian?
The post you quoted is calling out your cultist personality and blindness in this thread. People acting like the pasty fuck that is swen is some otherworldly creature of fun are literal degenerates. It's actually worrying to me that people like you exist. People so obsessed and enamored with swen dumbfuck that you would pretend to be him. There's more soul in your obsession with me than there is in Swen's entire reasoning for making BG3. How pathetic do you have to be to pretend to be someone so pathetic? Is that you aiming up? Pasty cunt

Wow...
This... this was good.

Onto has leveled up.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They earned this purchase with D:OSII and having the balls to go after the BG franchise. Who else even tried?

Josh Sawyer. He failed and the rest of the world should have followed his example

I don't get people who put Larian and Sawyer in the same "tier". I mean, Sawyer hates glorious arcane casters and is too obsessed with balance, but despite Pillars being inferior to any infinity engine game, it sparkled the resurgence of the "infinity engine" style of games. If we can play glorious games like Pathfinder Kingmaker, is indirectly thanks to him.

Obsidian worked in so many masterpiece RPG's. FNV, NWN2 + Mask of the Betrayer, SW:KotOR 2. I already posted how George Ziets would make BG3 > https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8728

I believe that he also worked for DDO and made some high level adventures for DDO, but am not sure. You can hate high and epic level D&D but is undeniable that George knows how to write this types of adventures. Only because ToB is bad, don't mean that every epic level adventure is bad.

That’s more or less the Grummz take too as I understand it. Once you get north of Dunbar’s Number things naturally get fragmented.

I like this one too:

If an indy got a large budget, they would squander it just the same as a AAA developer. Look at how terrible AAA is at management. That's people (purportedly) trained to manage people and money. Indies don't even have that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bro you deserve this game being made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom