Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just read through that update, it is BIG.
They are allowing you to apply spells and abilities throught the roll UI, which is an excellent change, exactly what I have been asking for since day one. I hope this also includes the ability to let the most proficient party member make the roll, but it does not sound like it. Nevertheless this alone is worth as much as all changes in the patches before, with maybe the exception of removing the fucking annoying puddles.

Background goals and inspirations sounds weird as fuck, probably good but who knows. Looks like they are achievments in nature, tied to your backstory. So if you are a noble you get free reroll points whenever you amass much gold or are arrogant towards commoners I assume.

A camping UI and you need all those random foodstuffs scattered around in the world to camp. This won't fix caster supremacy, but is a neat little flavor change anyway. Darkest Dungeon camping is pretty cozy, and while this probably won't be that it is a long way. Also there is a large difference between no cost for camping and a negligible cost mentally. This will make fighters feel a lot less shafted compared to mages.

Enemy AI improved is a clear upgrade, although questionable by how much.

Non lethal combat is a plus, should make some stuff less awkward. Also it sounds like they are intending to make a 0 kill count run possible, which is kinda neat, although not for me.

Separating disengage and jump is a good step and an important path towards removing that retarded bonus action jump thing.

Hotlinked tooltips is nice for 5e noobs.

Idk what point and click dialogue is even supposed to be. But you can turn it off anyway, so at the worst a neutral change.

Overall this has to be my favourite patch up to now, since this goes a long way to fix some fundamental issues with the engine and de-Divinity the game. From having a single character roll with an interface to apply all buffs to skill checks on the spot it is only a small step to always having the best character roll.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Also very very clear Solasta influence in this.
Background choice with gameplay consequences? Ui for breaking concentration looks identical to Solasta?
They are already stealing shit, although in weird places still. I wonder if conditional triggers and reactions are not completely off the table yet?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Background choice with gameplay consequences?
this is pulled directly from 5e you dip
https://dnd5e.info/beyond-1st-level/inspiration/

I know what Inspiration is you resident retard, I was musing about the specific way they implement it.
In tabletop play it is generally just used as a "You did cool stuff!" button, although it is fairly hard on the DM to always think about giving out inspiration.
We actually play with a modified version of it that you can apply after the roll to reroll with advantage, so it still feels impactfull even when it is given out much less frequently.
It is a pretty good system to videogameify tbh, since it is nice in theory but demands quite a bit of attention from the DM for how little benefit it gives.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't had a chance to check out the updates yet but it sounds pretty solid all around and better than I hoped for/expected.

Also it sounds like the LARP and "event reveal" was pretty successful in accomplishing its goal of building hype, whether or not you think the patch is substantial enough to warrant it.

LizardWizard

Prophet
Also it sounds like the LARP and "event reveal" was pretty successful in accomplishing its goal of building hype, whether or not you think the patch is substantial enough to warrant it.

Nothing was really revealed, it was just Swen flexing

Hey guys we finally patched in the retarded jump/disengage thing, which was fixed probably 6 months ago in our internal dev build. Swen just throwing those Belgium subsidies into the free marketing fire. Updating their 60 dollar demo is probably the absolute last priority for their developers.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
This is substantive.

I really like the philosophy and attitude behind these changes. Giving players ways to win more without faceroll is what it's all about.

Harthwain

Magister
That's dumb, since it encourages you to hoard inspiration instead of using it. If you don't use and miss out on points it should be your fault, you shouldn't be rewarded.
Depends on how big the bonus is. If it is small enough you won't feel like you're missing out on XP for using inspiration, while you will still be getting something when you don't have to use it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's dumb, since it encourages you to hoard inspiration instead of using it. If you don't use and miss out on points it should be your fault, you shouldn't be rewarded.
Depends on how big the bonus is. If it is small enough you won't feel like you're missing out on XP for using inspiration, while you will still be getting something when you don't have to use it.

One of the screens on the video showed him having max inspiration and getting 25 XP when he would've gotten an inspiration award. Not sure if it was a placeholder, if it will scale, or if that's the actual plan though. Either way, I think it's a good idea for the reasons Harthwain mentions.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Pure speculation here, but based on what is shown at 2:16 of the YouTube vid, it looks like an excess inspiration point is only 20 XP

CLSEOUQ.png

So in Act 1, with "100+" of these inspiration scenarios split across the 13 backgrounds we have right now, we are looking at potentially 7-8 of these inspiration opportunities per character. Add in the requirement to bank the first 4 points to even start getting bonus xp, it's not really that much in total.

But we'll see, once we get the patch.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I liked how separating disengage from jump is a popular community demand, and not a retarded design in the first place.

And we have tons of other retarded mechanics to go. Advantages, shove, throw fixes when?

Jesus Christ. While there were good changes here, as already said, the amount of hyperboles and unrepented cocksucking in the comments is almost unsettling.

"This made me almost emotional".

"Larian really seems like a beacon of hope for the gaming industry".

"Larian studios always make my heart warm".

etc.

Atchodas

Augur
Jesus Christ. While there were good changes here, as already said, the amount of hyperboles and unrepented cocksucking in the comments is almost unsettling.

Please name other studios who are capable to develop actual CRPG, who can be trusted with Baldurs Gate brand and do not currently work on their own IP (like Owlcat and Inxile)

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fextralife said:
This is a significant update because Disengage used to be a part of Jump that doesn’t guarantee the prevention of Melee Attacks.
These retards don’t even know how this mechanic worked. Jump always guaranteed no AOO. Fucking journos.

Atchodas

Augur
Yeh ... Horse Dick Armour pack as paid DLC would be kinda nice :lol:

Need to petition Larian to get it done

jackofshadows

Magister
While there were good changes here, as already said, the amount of hyperboles and unrepented cocksucking in the comments is almost unsettling.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I mean, this is basically just a show about development of a single game and it's far, far from completion. With this enormous scale and complexity coupled with rather chaotic and unpredictable decisions along the way all kinds of things could go incredibly wrong and thus we might get a very messy, mediocre to bad game in the end. Perhaps those blind fanboys not that care about the game itself or its current state and simply enjoying the image of what it may eventually become. With this in mind, EA was truly a brilliant idea as opposed to old-school short marketing campain and shipping unpolished product.

But I guess it's still better than Beth crowd which demostrates the true levels of cult in comparison.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why bother giving clicks to casual pretenders who make content for extreme casuals
I didn’t give them clicks, it’s the pasta from the Infi’s post.
Their wiki on the other hand is the only (I guess) official info source of this kind. I have doubts though we gonna meet any complexity requiring using wiki.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

"This made me almost emotional".

"Larian studios always make my heart warm".

etc.

Ontopoly You see dat Ontoposh*t, people LOVE ME !

And where's the filthy bulgarian?

Please name other studios who are capable to develop actual CRPG, who can be trusted with Baldurs Gate brand and do not currently work on their own IP (like Owlcat and Inxile)
Aside for the arbitrary moving of goalposts here... I guess you really can't grasp the difference between expressing some appreciation for the good things done and turning into an adoring groupie who will swear on the top of his lungs his life was touched by light and changed when a bugfix is announced.

No one is saying that Larian is bad (even if they still may turn out to be, we'll see), but there's no universe where "these patch notes made me emotional" is not a laughable hyperbole.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Please name other studios who are capable to develop actual CRPG
You mean the studio that mostly made arpg's and the only foray into crpg's is one solid game and one game where the fundamental systems screw the game over?
Writing wise,you mean the studio that makes most of its writing a bad joke?
Yeah,baldur's gate is in good hands.

Stygian,Iron tower studio,Knights of chalice dev,harebraind schemes(dragonfall proves it) would all make a better crpg.
Even obisidian is a better choice if they remove sawyer from the equation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom