Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Codex Year of the Donut
Play the Dark Fantasy Campaign
You are Ranger, a warrior armed with a powerful arsenal of weapons. Fight corrupted knights, deformed ogres and an army of twisted creatures across four dark dimensions of infested military bases, ancient medieval castles, lava-filled dungeons and gothic cathedrals in search of the four magic runes. Only after you have collected the runes will you hold the power to defeat the ancient evil that threatens all of humanity.

quake had a singleplayer campaign?
wtf

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
So it overwrote my quakespasm setup and I can't access any of the mods and maps I had installed anymore. Great.
Sincerely hope I can just slap it back on, or else I'm going back to copying the data files to a separate folder and running it with a sourceport from there.

Okay so it couldn't find my mods and maps because it's launching itself from a subfolder now. Still can't get my sourceport setup to work anymore so this is already dead to me.
Also, nice sign up prompt. Thanks for the upgrade bethesda!

Curratum

As for anyone who was worried the achieves would be retarded, aka Lyric Suite :

The Painless Maze
Complete E4M6: The Pain Maze on Nightmare without taking damage.

Shub's Bud
Complete Quake on Nightmare in single player.

etc all expansions on Nightmare.

Curratum

Also, CROSSPLAY.

There's even an achieve for multiplayer DM. Fuck the haters, if this port revives Q1 DM, I for one welcome our new MSoft overlords.

Naraya

Arcane
DPsKX4v.png

:whatho:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm glad they decided to include quake 64 as a mod, since i love aubrey hodges' interpretation of quake's soundtrack... but why the fuck does it have this awful crt tv filter. it doesn't need it:

A18FB85B0CCF1550F73DB9CA034C6B5634D1250D

Riskbreaker

^Should've gone the Prodeus route and made it IMPOSSIBLE to disable that shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So my Quake install on Steam just got an update, which is this "remaster" or new official sourceport or whatever it is. It's self-contained in a new subfolder within the Quake install, which means your original install stays intact, including all the sourceports and map packs you have installed previously.

Tried out the new sourceport/remaster/whatever, since it's a good excuse to replay Quake again. Haven't played the original maps in years. And there's a new episode for free in it, so yay.
It's pretty good.

Models have been updated a bit, I notice the shambler has a higher res model with teeth being actual 3D elements on his model instead of just a texture, but it's all subtle enough to not clash with the original artstyle. Still the same good old blocky pixelated Quake.

And it's a free update for all owners of Quake, so this is cool.

Can't complain.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So it overwrote my quakespasm setup and I can't access any of the mods and maps I had installed anymore. Great.
Sincerely hope I can just slap it back on, or else I'm going back to copying the data files to a separate folder and running it with a sourceport from there.

Should still work if you launch it on Steam and click "play Classic Quake".

ferratilis

Magister
Well, it's nice that Quake got some love finally, but this thing is crashing like crazy for me. Always on startup, while the logo videos are playing. Could be because I'm using an AMD CPU and GPU.

The movement feels kinda jittery, like it's not smooth at all. I had the same feeling about Doom Unity port, and the Doom 64 release on Steam. Never had that kind of movement on source ports. It's like a combination of mouse acceleration and low fps, it feels off.

Nightmare difficulty feels different, easier perhaps? Also, some areas look too 'clean,' like something is missing. I don't want to shit on their work, but just like with Doom Unity port, they're so close to releasing something amazing, but there are still annoyances.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron

Should still work if you launch it on Steam and click "play Classic Quake".

Yeah, I'm retarded. Gotta rename it to Glquake instead of Winquake now.
Phew.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Models have been updated a bit, I notice the shambler has a higher res model with teeth being actual 3D elements on his model instead of just a texture, but it's all subtle enough to not clash with the original artstyle. Still the same good old blocky pixelated Quake.

The maps have changed a bit too, for example the first outdoor area in E1M1 has this overhanging structure above the bridge, in the original it was just a flat texture with a trim outline, in the remaster it is inset with a few additional lights.

All changes i've seen are minor, they just retouch things a little without changing the original game's aesthetics.

The only annoying bit is that BethesdaNet integration and the new engine needs Steam to run. I worked around the latter by using Goldberg's emulator but the former is needed for some functionality like the addons. Hopefully we'll get a non-braindead version on GOG without all that garbage. Or even better, have sourceports be updated to support the new stuff :-P

Ash

Arcane
MachineGames' so-called episode 5, Dimensions of the Past, is quite frankly terrible.

Half of the levels have the same flow where you have a central hub area with three chambers that are totally linear on their own and you go into one to unlock the other and so forth. It has much higher enemy counts than vanilla, but the enemies are used in very unimaginative and obvious ways that make the encounters more tedious rather than challenging.

Legendary Quake mapper czg helped with the making of this episode (he says that his boss made it, I'm sure he didn't help...) and it still comes across as amateurish, that's quite a feat.

Here is an example of a map that he is capable of and is lightyears ahead of DOPA
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/czg03.html

Here are two episodes from other individual mappers who did not even have the help of czg and they are still far more creative than MachineGames' crap
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/bbelief.html
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/gotshun-never-released_levels.html

I know some of us are all fed up with AD's tedious grandiose maps, but that does not automatically make DOPA not shit.

You are most definitely not giving MG's resident quake mapper enough credit here. Why DOPA is so good is because it is Quake the way id did: primarily gameplay focused, abstract level design. There's great encounter design, tricky labyrinths, really cool creative traps, and minimal aesthetics whoring. Perfect resource distribution. Solid challenge. It feels official, on par with id, and there is no way in hell that is "crap".
I will agree that most maps have a similar flow of a central area progressively unlocking outer areas, but that is not bad design just more variety would be nice, and that is really the only criticism that can be made about it.

Still, I will hear you out by trying that singular map by czg you posted and post about it.

Most maps the community have made is what feels amateurish to me, but maybe I just get unlucky in the maps I'm downloading. And I still have much more exploring/playing to do in that regard. MUCH more.

wtf

quake had multiplayer? wtf?

It was the industry and gamer's later obsession with gayorgyplayer that partly led to the shit state of today. UT and Q3 were decline for abandoning singleplayer!

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
wtf

It was the industry and gamer's later obsession with gayorgyplayer that partly led to the shit state of today. UT and Q3 were decline for abandoning singleplayer!

There is no Quake 3.

A proper Quake game has a solid single player campaign. Quake 3 doesn't have any at all. Therefore it is not a Quake game :obviously:

It was a fucking travesty to release a sequel to two shooters with long single player campaigns and have it be multiplayer only.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
wtf

There is no Quake 3.

A proper Quake game has a solid single player campaign. Quake 3 doesn't have any at all. Therefore it is not a Quake game :obviously:

It was a fucking travesty to release a sequel to two shooters with long single player campaigns and have it be multiplayer only.
This!
(Also UT is better Quake 3 than Quake 3.)

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmm. There are some problems with the port (as always happens with this KEX bullshit). For example, something is very wrong with the running backwards speed. Another problem (probably a 'feature') is that on Nightmare difficulty you can't restore health above 50 with first aid kits.

New episode looks and plays cool. But it uses custom entities which means that it may work wrongly on a decent source-port.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kevin Cloud and Marty Stratton from id Software and Jerk Gustafsson from MachineGames discuss the impact and legacy of the original Quake on its 25th anniversary.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Riskbreaker HEY RISKY, YOU WANT A CITATION?

HOW'S THIS: BETTER GAMEPLAY

YEAH. Enjoy your "MORE GAME MODES" in UT but then wind up playing the same game modes you have in Q3 since that's all people give a shit about, only now it's with inferior gameplay with worse firepower and sluggish movement. I'll be bunny hopping, rocket jumping, and moving like a crackhead enraged and in heat while hitting spectacular railgun shots the likes of which you've never seen.

YOU LIKE THAT CITATION? Because I do. Don't ever try that again, hombre.

Ash

Arcane
Stop arguing about gayorgyplayer and don your singleplayer monocle like real men

:whatho:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Okay not counting multiplayer prowess, there has only ever been one real Quake game in my eyes.

fuk q2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom