Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why was mondblut banned?

Greek Anime God

Scholar
EGD45N1WsAACfep.jpg

My stance: massive cringe, I will never give these self-flagellants any of my time or money.
DarkUnderlord are you really going to let one of your underlings go against the official stance of the Australian government with hatespeech that will land you in emu gulag faster than the gamer word ever would?

Lambach

Arcane
Lambach, let me educate you on something.

Back in 2002, when the Codex was still in its infancy, the worst thing that was said here on a daily basis was "faggot". That word was thrown around basically everywhere. But there wasn't nearly as much usage of the word "n*gger". Sure, it was thrown around here and there as well, but it was relatively rare and considered just part of the background noise.

Things changed. Things do change. They have changed. Like it or not, we have two choices: 1) Follow DU's wishes and just stop saying nigger so much (actually just don't bypass the filter, so simple) or 2) Kiss RPG Codex goodbye.

In my opinion, RPG Codex is more important than my desire to say nigger all the time. Then again, I'm just not the kind of person who feels some need to be able to do so. Some people here apparently feel differently.

Be mad about it and get out the torches and pitchforks, I guess. Or just go back to the way things were in 2002. Your choice.

That's not the point. I'll somehow survive even if I can't spell out the word n!gger properly. In fact, it won't affect me in the slightest.

The point is that it's kind of a worrying precedent. NeoGAF didn't start out as a hive of pedophile would-be petty dictator nutjobs either, they got there step by step and then they gave birth to something even worse. I don't think this site will go down that path, it seems too far-fetched, but this shit with the word filter and specially with DU handing out undeserved bans is certainly not a good sign, even though I understand his reasons.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You're not giving DarkUnderlord nor RPG Codex a lot of credit here, Lambach.

He's laid out clearly, concisely, verbosely even, why he's forced to make some changes here. And we're talking about using a feature the site already has and has been used before: a word filter. It's not like he's instituting a permanent ban for anyone even hinting around about the n-word.

But I see your point. Your point is that he might. Your point is that it might come to that. And you're right. It might come to that. We might come to RPG Codex one day and see half the userbase banned for even hinting at mentioning a black man by any other word. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I have to concede that it might. So what if it does?

All that means is that RPG Codex, after having been a steadfast holdout against right-speech and wrongthink and group hysteria will have changed. It will -- essentially -- have been broken. And that will be sad, because we'll have nothing left but the memories.

The memories of being freely able to utter the word "n*gger" at will.

So tragic.

boot

Prophet
You're not giving DarkUnderlord nor RPG Codex a lot of credit here, Lambach.

He's laid out clearly, concisely, verbosely even, why he's forced to make some changes here. And we're talking about using a feature the site already has and has been used before: a word filter. It's not like he's instituting a permanent ban for anyone even hinting around about the n-word.

But I see your point. Your point is that he might. Your point is that it might come to that. And you're right. It might come to that. We might come to RPG Codex one day and see half the userbase banned for even hinting at mentioning a black man by any other word. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I have to concede that it might. So what if it does?

All that means is that RPG Codex, after having been a steadfast holdout against right-speech and wrongthink and group hysteria will have changed. It will -- essentially -- have been broken. And that will be sad, because we'll have nothing left but the memories.

The memories of being freely able to utter the word "n*gger" at will.

So tragic.

shut the fuck up Crispy

Lambach

Arcane
But I see your point. Your point is that he might. Your point is that it might come to that. And you're right. It might come to that. We might come to RPG Codex one day and see half the userbase banned for even hinting at mentioning a black man by any other word. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I have to concede that it might.

I know this is not something DU would do willingly, but as his country's laws keep getting more and more insane, he might be forced to. Which means there either needs to be contingency plan in place, or this place becomes RPGWatch 2.0, at which point, why continue using it when the actual Watch has a lot more users and is more active overall?

So what if it does?

Nothing much, life will go on. A lot of people may stick around, but a lot more might leave. I personally don't see the point of this website if the aforementioned scenario happens - it becomes a Generic Video Game Forum #564564684, only with not a whole lot of users. If it comes to that, I hope DU hands over the reigns to someone else entirely so he's not legally culpable. Hopefully not to Infinitron, because fuck that shill, but even that is a better option than just watering the website down into irrelevance.

Or any other solution, really, something actually smarter than just handing out bans to longtime posters because they pissed him off.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Okay, fine, you don't want people to circumvent the filter.

What's the reasoning behind the 7 day ban. Why 7 and not 3 or 14? Why not nuke the account entirely? You clearly don't give a shit who you ban or the context of the ban to begin with.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
He's laid out clearly, concisely, verbosely even, why he's forced to make some changes here.
Never heard about that. Would be a nice @ tag everyone thingy when he changes rules or some such shit.
That's a good idea. I think what we'll do, so that everyone knows, is we'll put an automatic word filter in that you deliberately have to make effort to bypass. Then when people bypass it, they get banned. We'll put a warning on the post so everyone knows why they got banned.

Temporary bans mind you, so nothing really serious.

Anyone who then still wonders why that happened will post in Site Feedback. Those that are struggling to grasp the message can be told then.

Yes, this sounds like a good plan.

Oh, and we'll do this after a 40 68 page thread in Site Feedback discussing the issue.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Word filter violation.
Back in 2002, when the Codex was still in its infancy, the worst thing that was said here on a daily basis was "faggot". That word was thrown around basically everywhere. But there wasn't nearly as much usage of the word "n*gger". Sure, it was thrown around here and there as well, but it was relatively rare and considered just part of the background noise.

Things changed. Things do change. They have changed. Like it or not, we have two choices: 1) Follow DU's wishes and just stop saying African American so much (actually just don't bypass the filter, so simple) or 2) Kiss RPG Codex goodbye.

In my opinion, RPG Codex is more important than my desire to say African American all the time. Then again, I'm just not the kind of person who feels some need to be able to do so. Some people here apparently feel differently.
So what about "kike" eh? If racism's truly the issue, what about kikes?

If you're filtering nigger but not kike, are you then endorsing anti-semitism? Are you saying niggers > kikes? Oy vey shut it down!

And what about faggots, eh? Homophobia is cool, yeah? What about shitskins, eh? That's ok too?

There is no justification for censoring nigger and not a heap of other racial slurs. None whatsoever. Except, you know, a racist reason. The filter is saying niggers, among all other races, are a protected class you can't criticize. We're discriminating based on race to implement the world-filter. How is that not the most racist thing of all eh?

And if there is no justification for world-filtering nigger more than any other racial slur, then if we accept this one, the others will soon follow. It's just basic coherent application of principles. Don't give me any of this bullshit that "it's just one word", it's the principle that justifies the world-filtering that makes no sense, and if it did, it would change the whole way we talk here.

It must be rejected. For the word nigger now stands for everything good on the Codex; you've made it so.

N I G G E R

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If Australia starts fining or putting website managers into jail for allowing their users to use the word "kike", then sure, it's out, too. Same with any other word. Maybe even the word "forest" will be outlawed, who knows?

Remember, this isn't our (DU's) decision. We went on happily throwing around every word we could think of here on Codex for nearly twenty years.

Let that sink in for a moment, Ismaul.

Lambach

Arcane
If you're filtering nigger but not kike, are you then endorsing anti-semitism? Are you saying niggers > kikes? Oy vey shut it down!

And what about faggots, eh? Homophobia is cool, yeah? What about shitskins, eh? That's ok too?

There is no justification for censoring nigger and not a heap of other racial slurs. None whatsoever. Except, you know, a racist reason. The filter is saying niggers, among all other races, are a protected class you can't criticize. We're discriminating based on race to implement the world-filter. How is that not the most racist thing of all eh?

And if there is no justification for world-filtering nigger more than any other racial slur, then if we accept this one, the others will soon follow. It's just basic coherent application of principles. Don't give me any of this bullshit that "it's just one word", it's the principle that justifies the world-filtering that makes no sense, and if it did, it would change the whole way we talk here.

It must be rejected. For the word nigger now stands for everything good on the Codex; you've made it so.

N I G G E R

I have to defend DU here and point out that this was implemented not because he wanted it, but because of some North Korea-tier nutjob laws that were recently passed in Australia. I am not familiar with the exact details, but given that n!gger is probably the most taboo word you can say in the Western world, even more so than kike, the reason probably lies there.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
We've been over this to no avail. If DU is actually afraid of the law, filtering a single word won't help him. Either go full globohomo lockstep or get thrown in with the undesirables. We've also proposed viable solutions to this problem.

This is not about the filter or the word.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He's laid out clearly, concisely, verbosely even, why he's forced to make some changes here.
Never heard about that. Would be a nice @ tag everyone thingy when he changes rules or some such shit.
That's a good idea. I think what we'll do, so that everyone knows, is we'll put an automatic word filter in that you deliberately have to make effort to bypass. Then when people bypass it, they get banned. We'll put a warning on the post so everyone knows why they got banned.

Temporary bans mind you, so nothing really serious.

Anyone who then still wonders why that happened will post in Site Feedback. Those that are struggling to grasp the message can be told then.

Yes, this sounds like a good plan.

Oh, and we'll do this after a 40 68 page thread in Site Feedback discussing the issue.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Don't be a wisearse,jogger. Expecting people to take a wordfilter seriously after all the shit you pull regularly,is retarded lol. How do you expect people to know when you are taking the piss and when you are serious??? You can't expect to act the fool all the time and then be offended that people don't take your shit seriously when you come out of nowhere and do it. When there is something serious afoot,act seriously. Be all "hey chaps the laws in our prison colony have been shifty lately so we decided to add an actual word filter. Don't be smart arses and try to dodge it,it is part of the rule. Be chill and don't be an arse,this for real life shit." Say that to people and tang them all,to know that there is an actual rule change.

PS: If you think that all the people here fallow site feedback religiously,well i have a bridge to sell you.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
We might come to RPG Codex one day and see half the userbase banned for even hinting at mentioning a black man by any other word. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I have to concede that it might. So what if it does?
It will happen and since this is the case let's accelerate the process. Have you publicly acknowledged your white privilege and used that privilege to amplify a POC or LGBTQ+ poster today Crispy? You should be banned if you haven't, a week without the Codex will do.

DarkUnderlord has made up his mind and the old ways of the Codex are no more. I think you will find, Crispy, that you will fare poorly if we start playing the game with the new order rules DU wants to comply to. You just have the wrong skin color, the wrong set of values and you are simply a relic of the past that needs to go. The staff needs more diversity and you are the oldest whitest man there, absolutely disgusting. I will be vigilant and report anything that seems like it could break an Australian law to the proper authorities. I will push for more POC transwomen on staff. I will make the gayest of posts in the RPG section and you will just have to put up with it since I'm a part of a protected group that you can't touch.

First things first, are you prepare to publicly recognize that Australia rightfully belongs to the aboriginal people and that you should not be allowed to live on their stolen land, DarkUnderlord? We need an official Codex stance on this issue and only you can provide this. Apologize for your ancestors so we can move on to further justice issues and follow the lead of the Australian government.
Either go full globohomo lockstep or get thrown in with the undesirables.
Undesirables are taken offline so globohomo is the way. I want to see less white people on staff ASAP.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
There is no justification for censoring nigger and not a heap of other racial slurs.
Yes there is. It's called picking the most obvious target and firing a warning shot across its bow.

The target either realises, "hey I'm being fired at here. I should go in another direction if I don't want to be hit" or the target continues and enters combat - where it fights, at which point it either wins or loses on a more permanent basis.

Only truly obtuse morons would struggle to grasp the implications. Implications that have already, quite rightfully, been pointed out by everyone against this.

The fact we're sticking to just this one, tiny little word, is our way of acknowledging this. And saying, "we don't really want to go down this path. In fact, we'd like to avoid it. But unfortunately, some people here are forcing our hand".

It's not going to be a good idea to force our hand.

This is us saying: "Hey guys, it's been fun, but tone it the fuck down a notch would you?" In the exact same way that you might see a video of a certain type of individual assaulting someone on the street and think, "those types of people need to be given a bit of authority, so that they learn that's not how to behave".

We're doing the exact same thing, only to certain people here.

You just happen to disagree. Which is fine. But at the end of the day, this is our website, not yours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom