Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
And what is the smarter AI mod?
Huh, I tried looking at my mod list and couldn't find the mod anymore. That's odd.

People say Lustria is a superbowl but holy shit the Borderlands are just as bad - Im playing Border Princes with the Southern Realms mod and I really have to commend the modders, the faction is on par with official DLC.
But my god, the area with the latest changes... You got the humans, you got a bunch of orcs, the dwarves, the beastmen in the middle of it all, the vampire counts via Strygos, sometimes the TKs might show up and there's even a Woodelf faction.

vota DC

Augur
The occupy/loot/sack/raze reminds me a lot the old Warlords series. Also the place of High Elves, but that game wasn't about warhammer.

People say Lustria is a superbowl but holy shit the Borderlands are just as bad - Im playing Border Princes with the Southern Realms mod and I really have to commend the modders, the faction is on par with official DLC.
But my god, the area with the latest changes... You got the humans, you got a bunch of orcs, the dwarves, the beastmen in the middle of it all, the vampire counts via Strygos, sometimes the TKs might show up and there's even a Woodelf faction.

Must be due to your mods. In my experience:

TKs always suck ass because their # of armies and # of advanced troops don't scale to higher difficulties like other factions that can pump out multiple stacks of high tier units off 2 or 3 territories.
The Vampire Count faction is very passive and usually just dies eventually.
The Woodelves never fight anyone
The Humans get rolled if they fight the greenskins
Greenskins blob out of control and Grimgor confederates everyone 60% of the time.
Dwarves snipe Grimgor out of existence early and they confederate everyone 30% of the time.
Eshin spams infinite stacks of shit units that overwhelm everyone 10% of the time.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The "Semi-Random Start Positions" mod is really neat. It lets you switch places with a faction of your CULTURE anywhere on the map at random. Meaning as VC you can appear in the Badlands or Nehekara.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
At which battle difficulty does this game become fun? I started a campaign as Alith Anar, but ranged units are so grotesquely overpowered they delete units by looking at them. It's such a shame, there are so many types of units but the game revolves (devolves) around ranged spam and doomstacks of one type of unit. Shame. Shame.

Olinser

Savant
At which battle difficulty does this game become fun? I started a campaign as Alith Anar, but ranged units are so grotesquely overpowered they delete units by looking at them. It's such a shame, there are so many types of units but the game revolves (devolves) around ranged spam and doomstacks of one type of unit. Shame. Shame.

There isn't a battle difficulty that is particularly balanced against the AI, because the AI is dumb and none of the difficulties actually do anything about ranged units, they just buff attack/def and whatnot. If anything higher battle difficulties make the problem worse because you're forced to rely on the OP units and the shortcomings of the mediocre units are even more severe.

Against the AI it's reasonably well balanced at Very Hard campaign difficulty, where the enemy makes armies with reasonable mixes of units and has stacks/multiple stacks that reinforce each other. I'd suggest playing on Hard battle/Very Hard campaign, it provides at least AI that puts together reasonably good armies and the buff overcomes some of its shortcomings without becoming silly.

I'd concur with VH campaign and Hard battle difficulty.

The thing with battle difficulty is that there's nothing that weakens your ranged armies really. Battle difficulty will make you deal a lot less damage in melee and take a lot more, but for ranged it just makes enemy ranged deal a bit more damage while you deal exactly the same. And sabotaging enemy ranged units so they don't shoot you tends to be pretty easy. The only effect that really matters for ranged armies shooting melee units is a fairly small leadership buff that will make melee last longer before routing.

What does matter more is campaign difficulty, since high levels there will get the AI pumping out higher tier and bigger armies quicker. What tends to wreck ranged armies is a bunch of heavily armored infantry or multiple high tier single entity monsters.

Parabalus

Arcane
20 stacks make sense when particular lords buff particular units, why wouldn't you stack 20 ranged with Alith?

This is almost unrelated to the balance issues with ranged.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Alith is incidental, the ranged superiority makes the game very boring. It's not like you don't stack ranged with Tyrion as well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
But mods don't fix it. I'm not averse to fixing games with mods, but I don't think there is as mod that addresses this at all. Ranged is so overpowered that it actively makes the game unfun. Troy is much better and I'm playing it instead.

Tyrr

Liturgist
It's a single player game. Just don't abuse range (the AI also will not do it) and have fun.
I have the most fun playing with themed (= non optimal) armies. Like a ghost army with VC.
Look at the army skills, skill your lords in different ways and build their armies to fit the skills.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Even if that somehow turns out to "work" to fix my issue (spoiler alert: it doesn't), there is another problem - other Total War games do what I want and do it better. Only from the contemporary ones, Troy is excellent right out the box and Rome Remastered's new patch unlocks everything possible to mod, so they beat the bloated mess that is Warhammer any day. WH is simultaneously bursting at the seams and one-note to a fault. I really hope something is done for game 3.

why don't you play with mods instead of crying on lack of balance? i use sfo and honestly i didn't feel this disparity.
"mods will fix it" is not a legitimate response to criticism.
sure, but given we aaaaaaaaaaaaall know the vanilla balance is borked and ca can't into it nor in fixing bugs, complaining is useless, specially when there's a workaround right at hand.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
brrrr.jpg
fuckmagic.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can probably hold them off during the siege battle.
You don't have walls but you do have choke points.

Early game high elf arches are a pain in the arse but that's what mortars are for.

I know, the problem is more that these stacks have become an endless stream by now and I can roughly afford two full stacks to hold them off. I can't really expand this way. It's a goddamn SLOG.

Sunri

Liturgist

Early game high elf arches are a pain in the arse but that's what mortars are for.

I know, the problem is more that these stacks have become an endless stream by now and I can roughly afford two full stacks to hold them off. I can't really expand this way. It's a goddamn SLOG.

It always ends like this.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I haven't played noctilus, but this is why it is important to keep your military strength up and not discover too many factions early on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom