Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Subtle from the master neckbeard fedora himself haha.

Curratum

Is it normal to be level 30 and still messing around in limgrave? I havent even beat stormcastle yet. Exploring is dang addicting.
Exploring is only addictive until you're still finding cool and meaningful rewards. In another 20 hours, exploration will net you nothing of useful except powerful and annoying enemies and minibosses that are annoying and never worth the fight.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Exploring is only addictive until you're still finding cool and meaningful rewards. In another 20 hours, exploration will net you nothing of useful except powerful and annoying enemies and minibosses that are annoying and never worth the fight.

That's a lie. The amount of effort to fight any enemy in any area is pretty much the same, because I explore and never get behind the game's curve.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
After playing it for about 10 hours this feels like the best game From ever made. Interesting to see when it will all turn to crap. But this is much better than Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3/Sekiro so far (which I call the trilogy of shit).

Mojobeard

Augur
I wonder what the idea was behind having to invest much more into vigor compared to previous games? 800hp should be easy to reach, and 1200 fairly quick. The damage isn't any different than in previous games, but players simply don't have any hp. First 20 levels should give you much much more.

Great Runes aren't really an excuse, and are also not a very good humanity system. Interesting in theory, but not in practice, as the bonuses are absolutely massive. Combined with the fact that offline there's too few Rune Arcs, and the game is so long and full of platforming, and stunlocks, that you're really afraid to pop them. Bosses should drop them at the very least.
Lots of people seem to even have beaten the game without ever having understood it, which isn't surprising as it's moderately confusing.

But I'm sure one of the early patches will address some of that, and hopefully the lack of upgrade material drops.

After playing it for about 10 hours this feels like the best game From ever made. Interesting to see when it will all turn to crap. But this is much better than Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3/Sekiro so far (which I call the trilogy of shit).
Dark Souls 3, sure. Hating on Bloodborne or Sekiro shows you're a plebeian with an objectively bad taste, and I look down on you.

Mortmal

Arcane
I wonder what the idea was behind having to invest much more into vigor compared to previous games? 800hp should be easy to reach, and 1200 fairly quick. The damage isn't any different than in previous games, but players simply don't have any hp. First 20 levels should give you much much more.

Great Runes aren't really an excuse, and are also not a very good humanity system. Interesting in theory, but not in practice, as the bonuses are absolutely massive. Combined with the fact that offline there's too few Rune Arcs, and the game is so long and full of platforming, and stunlocks, that you're really afraid to pop them. Bosses should drop them at the very least.
Lots of people seem to even have beaten the game without ever having understood it, which isn't surprising as it's moderately confusing.

But I'm sure one of the early patches will address some of that, and hopefully the lack of upgrade material drops.

Dark Souls 3, sure. Hating on Bloodborne or Sekiro shows you're a plebeian with an objectively bad taste, and I look down on you.
There's no lack of upgrade material you need to find the bells to get infinite supply at the vendor.

Removal

Scholar
There's no lack of upgrade material you need to find the bells to get infinite supply at the vendor.
it's the gating that's weird, until you get to the last areas of the game it's hard to upgrade normal weapons since that's where the high end stones and bells are located at, but it's incredibly easy to upgrade multiple special weapons well before that

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
In NGB the difficulty came from tight and nasty encounter design. Ryu is very strong from the start and has everything he needs to cope with all the bullshit thown at him in his basic moveset, with the dragon sword and shurykens. Just need to purchase counter attacks and level 2 DS for Izuna Drop to beat Master Ninja. You can optimize to some specific situations with other movements and weapons, and use Ninpo for easen some encounters, to have fun with a wider repertoire. But basically you only need to improve your instincts, tactical positioning, movement and target selection, use of enviroment (wall jump attacks) and a bit of reflexes to succeed even on Master Ninja. In fact is a more tactical game than mechanical skill one.
Well said about NGB, that game is on a completely different level as far as action games go. I replayed it two years ago and it is still impressive how aggressive the AI is; and as you say it always feels like everything in the game is playing by the same rules, even against the larger, faster bosses a skilled player can keep up using Ryu's agility and air-based moves (those fights against Evil Ryu almost feel like you are fighting against another player).

On the other hand I haven't played Elden Ring but I've been watching a friend play it, and it's gotten to the point where it is comical to see these giant epic cool bosses leaping and flailing around the arena, pumping out one elaborate anime combo attack after another while the player character, whose basic moveset has changed very little since Demon's Souls (where it made sense and all the bosses were designed to suit that style), awkwardly runs and rolls around waiting for a brief opening to do the same couple of slashes they have always done (and now once in a while a sort of fancy special attack). It's like seeing a boss character from a completely separate game stapled onto a different game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Asking for some pure STR tips.

Got to Leyndell with a Moonveil build. It's super powerful but constantly spamming the WA is getting old. I'm thinking for the remainder of the game I'll go with a good ol' smash (still have fond memories of obliterating everything in DS3 with my Fume UGS).

I've collected a bunch of STR weps but can't be arsed to test them all. Any good tips? Axes, UGS, hammers, clubs, I'm open to anything, as long as it's a good reach and it's viable for most content (I'm aware I'll probably have to mix things up for some of the faster bosses). Doesn't even have to be a pure STR build if there are some fun weps with high-ish reqs of other stats.

Curratum

Got to Leyndell with a Moonveil build. It's super powerful but constantly spamming the WA is getting old. I'm thinking for the remainder of the game I'll go with a good ol' smash (still have fond memories of obliterating everything in DS3 with my Fume UGS).

I've collected a bunch of STR weps but can't be arsed to test them all. Any good tips? Axes, UGS, hammers, clubs, I'm open to anything, as long as it's a good reach and it's viable for most content (I'm aware I'll probably have to mix things up for some of the faster bosses). Doesn't even have to be a pure STR build if there are some fun weps with high-ish reqs of other stats.

Don't hold out hope for being able to beat the remainder of the game with anything but spamming weapon arts of the respective STR weapon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wonder what the idea was behind having to invest much more into vigor compared to previous games?

In previous games pumping damage stats pays off early since weapons scale much faster.

In ER it's a better idea to get your dmg stats (primarily STR/DEX) to base reqs for your weapon of choice and then pump mostly Vigor because it takes A LONG time before you could upgrade your weapon high enough to turn the basic bitch D scaling into something more impactful.

It's pointless to run around the early game with 13 Vigor and 50 DEX if those 30 extra points in DEX amount to like 20 extra points of damage due to your weapon being only +5 or so.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The brick hammer turns out to have excellent STR scaling, I was using it as a back-up to a regular heavy straight sword against stone/armor but now it pretty much just became my main weapon and the sword the situational back-up (which is still nice since the sword has somewhat decent scaling and can be tailored to any situation). Great fun.

Mojobeard

Augur
I wonder what the idea was behind having to invest much more into vigor compared to previous games?

In previous games pumping damage stats pays off early since weapons scale much faster.

In ER it's a better idea to get your dmg stats (primarily STR/DEX) to base reqs for your weapon of choice and then pump mostly Vigor because it takes A LONG time before you could upgrade your weapon high enough to turn the basic bitch D scaling into something more impactful.

It's pointless to run around the early game with 13 Vigor and 50 DEX if those 30 extra points in DEX amount to like 20 extra points of damage due to your weapon being only +5 or so.
No, that is the case in every single Souls game, and I know that very well, and always invest in HP and stamina first. There's never any reason to start pumping your melee damage stat until later on.
But here you need to invest way more Vigor for far less HP. Compare the amount of HP per stat point to literally any other game, except Demon's Souls soul form, but that game also has the enemies do less damage compared to the later ones.
Elden Ring doesn't give you a lot of HP up front from Vigor investment, but at ~mid 20's to 40, which doesn't make any sense.
10 to 20 Vigor is +238 hp
30 to 40 Vigor is +456 hp
It's retarded.

Tyrr

Liturgist
The halberd from one of the black riders also goes to S STR scaling (with heavy). It also can be enchanted for extra damage.

things that felt GRRM:
Hewg anon is GRRM nonsense anon because he is fat ugly face anon with NICE GUY soul anon and he is groomer sub text anon with Roderika wife anon like GRRM anon anon Tyrone Lannister anon anon and Sandsa Starks anon anon! It is true anon! It is! It is WILD CARDS fat ugly face NICE GUY soul Turtle anon anon! It is true anon! It is!

MasPingon

Arcane
ad.png

Is it an NPC on the other side? Siofra River Well.

deem

Savant
There may be no covenants in this game...

...but there are factions you can join and they seem to operate similarly to the covenants, that is you bring a desired item and get rewarded, but without the multiplayer component.

20220313142559-1.jpg

Tyrr

Liturgist
That's one thing I miss in ER from the DS games. A dedicated co-op covenant.

Silva

Arcane
I wonder if Bloodborne quickstep would be more fitting (and fun) this time than the barrel rolling. And before you neckbeards hate on me, hear this:

The idea came to me while I was fighting another spastic mini-boss yesterday, this time that fatso troll in Stormveil at the square with other troops. I mean, the guy is a fatso that should be slower than your average Joe, right? But in truth he isn't. OK. But what if it's US who are in a slower state than the rest of the world? See, when I switched to the bandit knife quick-step art it became more manageable and... fun. But this art still isn't as fast as BB quickstep so that got me thinking that... maybe.... just maybe.... we could be praising all these spastic enemies if we were on their same speed with BB quickstep. I went to bed trying to imagine my hunter in BB facing all these enemies and bosses inside a normal Bloodbrone playthrough and it seems to me it could be a fun endeavor.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom