Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Idk if this thread is for specifically RPGs but I found this neat Zelda-like cheap on the Switch called Ocean’s Heart. Cute 2D graphics, lots of items and spells to use during fights, enemies with unique ways you have to defeat them, lots of bosses, and a mostly open world with optional content to explore.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Now that my game is finished, my new goal is actually to play games.

"Obscure Indie" thread seems a good place to start with :D

I will read the previous posts, let me know if you have recommendations!
Realms of Arkania HD
Has pretty bad reviews
Still the most recommended game on rpgcodex
Will give it a shot then. What is this world becoming that steam reviews can't be trusted anymore!

mastroego

Arcane

Realms of Arkania HD
Has pretty bad reviews
Will give it a shot then. What is this world becoming that steam reviews can't be trusted anymore!
It's an in-house joke as ERYFKRAD recommends it all the time.
Still, this is not a reason not to follow his advice

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Realms of Arkania HD
Has pretty bad reviews
It's an in-house joke as ERYFKRAD recommends it all the time.
Still, this is not a reason not to follow his advice
I've been trolled :(

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I own it, but I don’t have steam on my laptop. Maybe win11 or win12 I will (unless it becomes a fucking subscription to use windows, then Bill Gates can go fuck himself).

Kedar

Educated
I also own Realms of Arkania HD, and I, too, haven't played it yet and probably never will.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Ogre King by zooperdan

it's all hand drawn. been playing for about an hour and the mazes are pretty basic, mapped the first level and half the first city before realizing it would be simple maps with simple mechanics, wall button opens door on the other side of the small map, a three button puzzle that was clicked in the order i think of 2, 3, 1, and incredibly simple combat consisting of timing a click on a bar. the rpg aspect is incredibly bare though, you only increase damage by finding another sword, which increases the attack to two and then three and so on. there's more strategy in making sure that all your potions and scrolls last through the level. after four levels, you need to miss a lot of the timed clicks to really die, and even if you're nearly dead, you can escape, drink a potion, then return to the enemy that still has the damage you've already delivered. it's worth it, being free, and i always appreciate when someone tries to do something different even if it's a game i'll only recall because of its pleasant art style. not bad for a weeks work!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The Ogre King by zooperdan

it's all hand drawn. been playing for about an hour and the mazes are pretty basic, mapped the first level and half the first city before realizing it would be simple maps with simple mechanics, wall button opens door on the other side of the small map, a three button puzzle that was clicked in the order i think of 2, 3, 1, and incredibly simple combat consisting of timing a click on a bar. the rpg aspect is incredibly bare though, you only increase damage by finding another sword, which increases the attack to two and then three and so on. there's more strategy in making sure that all your potions and scrolls last through the level. after four levels, you need to miss a lot of the timed clicks to really die, and even if you're nearly dead, you can escape, drink a potion, then return to the enemy that still has the damage you've already delivered. it's worth it, being free, and i always appreciate when someone tries to do something different even if it's a game i'll only recall because of its pleasant art style. not bad for a weeks work!

Try out It Came from the Forest by him, another mini-crawler made in a week, plays more like Eye of the Beholder but looks pretty good

Or if you like the paper visuals, Notebook Dungeon has you covered, Drawngeon as well

Developer
Idk if this thread is for specifically RPGs but I found this neat Zelda-like cheap on the Switch called Ocean’s Heart. Cute 2D graphics, lots of items and spells to use during fights, enemies with unique ways you have to defeat them, lots of bosses, and a mostly open world with optional content to explore.
was on the lookout for something like this, looking great, thanks for sharing

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

for six freedom fries you can have a neat little 'dungeon crawler'/tile turner with a two action turn based combat. played the demo as a warrior for about half an hour and had a decent time, although the first level was all clicking a button easy peasy, game advises not to try to kill everything so, i naturally killed everything and had fun managing the starting tight economy of gold and inventory slots and using the consumable buffs. demo locks you to one dungeon and i am assuming that there are a wider selection of enemies to pummel. there's a equally similar game by the same company which came out last year. some searching also led me here to this very site (of course it did) and the origins of the game style. coincidentally i've played that mobile game, the fact i remember playing it should say something lol.

the media linked game is fun, can see its mobile origins, but again, it's only $6usd so...:|

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
found this during a search:

there's only a demo that has three or four fights. it's something that should probably be kept an eye on. it's either really gonna be a massive turd or something resembling incline even with rtwp, or at least something that you can have a halfway pleasant time playing.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

i wanted to make this game its own thread, but after playing the demo for about half an hour, there seems to be little to no levels (thus far) therefore no stats to upgrade and have found no items so it's more hacky-slashy but it has an rpg tag in the steam store so...:?

the art style is something else, like a schizophrenic fever dream...this fucking thing just had to be seen and at least watched because it's so fucking weird
20231204224242_1.jpg

20231204224320_1.jpg

20231204224330_1.jpg

20231204224708_1.jpg

V17

Educated
This one used to be not-obscure, but sort of became obscure by force: Undercroft was developed, in the context of the indie scene, quite some time ago (originally for PocketPC of all platforms) by Rake in Grass, then sold to Jagex, and Jagex decided to simply kill it and not offer it for purchase or free download because I guess they're too busy developing one of the most retarded MMORPGs on market.

Jagex still owns it, but Rake in Grass managed to get a permission to offer the Windows version for free, you can download it on the website (same link as above).

undercroft_screenshot_4.jpg

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
This one used to be not-obscure, but sort of became obscure by force: Undercroft was developed, in the context of the indie scene, quite some time ago (originally for PocketPC of all platforms) by Rake in Grass, then sold to Jagex, and Jagex decided to simply kill it and not offer it for purchase or free download because I guess they're too busy developing one of the most retarded MMORPGs on market.

Jagex still owns it, but Rake in Grass managed to get a permission to offer the Windows version for free, you can download it on the website (same link as above).

undercroft_screenshot_4.jpg
I've finished it years ago. Good classes, reasonable progression (for its format), a surprising puzzle here and there, kinda challenging TB combat too!
Very fond of the memory. I wished for a long time that the team would've made another game like that.

Ash

Arcane
One More Dungeon 2

A simplified Ultima Underworld in roguelite format. Grab it on sale and you wont regret it. Wont blow your socks off but is simply a fun, challenging experience.

dark_world_01_fps.gif

I also recommend Devil Spire for the same thing with a different approach, though it seems to have a more established userbase than the above, when they're both just as good.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
IMG_7585.jpeg

That's one classy slug.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom