Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I'm bummed out that the game is getting a shit reception, but there were so many signs that the launch would be popcorn material.

I predicted this well before release. Incompetency has a stench to it.

-follows the marketing campaign-

-notices all the regular signs of decline-

I feel like this game is going to be a shitstorm when it releases.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt as most of their recent releases have been good performance wise. I think the biggest thing was the denuvo related bug in RE Village.

That said, there were very obvious signs pre-release that they were struggling to optimise the game. All the comments about the game not running above 30 FPS and the super high specs they were pushing to run at 60 fps on PC.
  • I tweaked some settings and was able to improve this to 80-95 FPS, sometimes hitting highs of 100-ish, with very little loss of fidelity, but honestly this game isn't too impressive graphically

I would be interested to see your settings if you don't mind sharing them.
DD2settings.jpg

Main points:

• DLSS helps a lot, I went for Quality but I did see framerate improvements by going deeper in, I'm wary of going too far with it cos the game already looks a bit 'soft'
  • Sharpness doesn't seem to be doing much
  • Ray Tracing doesn't seem to cost very much and improves the graphics a decent amount, I don't usually go for it but it's not too expensive here
  • Screen-Space Reflections produced some buggy graphical glitches so I turned it off, water looks a lot flatter without it but I can't say I really care
  • Texture Quality seems fine at 2GB
  • Trees/grass seem a lot nicer on high and it doesn't seem to cost much
  • Shadow Quality MAX costs a LOT and High is fine, Medium was fucking awful
  • Contact Shadows I'm a little undecided on but I might keep it off
  • Motion Blur is for weirdos
Do you actually notice a difference when using RT? It is so miniscule for the most part, and still costs you like 15% fps. It's really not worth it, imo.

Suicidal

Arcane
Played it for ~4 hours and reached not Grand Soren.

Performance has been really weird for me - in every populated area FPS drops to like 30-40, but when you exit into the open world it gradually builds up to 60 and then stays there, but there are specific places where it drops significantly and then builds back up again. It's playable but far, far from ideal. No other game has ran as poorly for me as this one.

I'm on 3060ti and i5-10400.

It also has a weird issue with keyboard bindings. Weapon skill are bound to ctrl + button. You cannot rebind them to not use a ctrl combination, but if you bind them to ctrl + any key that is already in use it counts as a duplicate bind and won't let you. For example, in this game F is use and E is grab and it was the other way around in DD1. I wanted to switch the keys to make the controls like in DD1, but when I tried doing that it didn't let me, because 1 of the weapon skills is bound to CTRL + F, so even though the default bindings is F to grab, if I try to set F to any other command it conflicts with CTRL + F for the weapon skill. It seems like a bug and hopefully they will address it.

Gonna try looking for some optimization guides but it's probably better not play at all until they roll out some patch.

As for the game itself, it's fun and pretty much what I wanted. More Dragon's Dogma, but they doubled down on the various different interactions you can do and every vocation seems to have a bigger move pool. It has this addictive quality just like DD1 where it's fun to simply run around and explore and fight stuff. Also the plot starts out more interesting this time around, although I really don't care about the story in this sort of game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do you actually notice a difference when using RT? It is so miniscule for the most part, and still costs you like 15% fps. It's really not worth it, imo.

RT is noticeable with all the lighting sources, fire, etc. but like always, it's a nice to have (at best), so if you need the frames, etc. you're not going to miss too much by turning it off.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had to refund after playing 2 hours, I deserved this after getting hyped I suppose...
Poor perfomance aside (and I'm someone never bothered with hiccups or such) there are nice amount of bugs
Medusa stayed in her place in tutorial, making it hilarious. Whole ground disappeared after I rest in the first camp and had to reset steam to fix it, dunno why. Soldiers in camp draw their swords and threatened me because I was sprinting in the camp?
Starting area also felt a bit railroaded?
Dunno men, I'm really disappointed. Maybe after everything got fixed and we got something like Dark Arisen I'll return but now I only got a sour taste in my mouth.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Game has been ported from consoles and it is more cpu centric causing lot of stutters in lower cpus. I think many japanese games do produce a lot of cpu centric games

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm bummed out that the game is getting a shit reception, but there were so many signs that the launch would be popcorn material.

I predicted this well before release. Incompetency has a stench to it.

-follows the marketing campaign-

-notices all the regular signs of decline-

I feel like this game is going to be a shitstorm when it releases.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt as most of their recent releases have been good performance wise. I think the biggest thing was the denuvo related bug in RE Village.

That said, there were very obvious signs pre-release that they were struggling to optimise the game. All the comments about the game not running above 30 FPS and the super high specs they were pushing to run at 60 fps on PC.
  • I tweaked some settings and was able to improve this to 80-95 FPS, sometimes hitting highs of 100-ish, with very little loss of fidelity, but honestly this game isn't too impressive graphically

I would be interested to see your settings if you don't mind sharing them.
DD2settings.jpg

Main points:

• DLSS helps a lot, I went for Quality but I did see framerate improvements by going deeper in, I'm wary of going too far with it cos the game already looks a bit 'soft'
  • Sharpness doesn't seem to be doing much
  • Ray Tracing doesn't seem to cost very much and improves the graphics a decent amount, I don't usually go for it but it's not too expensive here
  • Screen-Space Reflections produced some buggy graphical glitches so I turned it off, water looks a lot flatter without it but I can't say I really care
  • Texture Quality seems fine at 2GB
  • Trees/grass seem a lot nicer on high and it doesn't seem to cost much
  • Shadow Quality MAX costs a LOT and High is fine, Medium was fucking awful
  • Contact Shadows I'm a little undecided on but I might keep it off
  • Motion Blur is for weirdos
Yeah I think it makes a difference

Yosharian

Arcane
Had to refund after playing 2 hours, I deserved this after getting hyped I suppose...
Poor perfomance aside (and I'm someone never bothered with hiccups or such) there are nice amount of bugs
Medusa stayed in her place in tutorial, making it hilarious. Whole ground disappeared after I rest in the first camp and had to reset steam to fix it, dunno why. Soldiers in camp draw their swords and threatened me because I was sprinting in the camp?
Starting area also felt a bit railroaded?
Dunno men, I'm really disappointed. Maybe after everything got fixed and we got something like Dark Arisen I'll return but now I only got a sour taste in my mouth.
Weird I didn't experience any of these

mediocrepoet

Patron

I wonder if this is due to your hardware. There were weird glitches in CP2077 at times related to hardware timings and such for systems that were struggling to run it. Not trying to excuse it, but my experience has been completely bug and crash free and I completely no-lifed this thing last night despite not meaning to. My wife came in this morning and was like: So... are you going to sleep at all?

1711132902623.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like it one of these days when Steam users are able to show an objective criticism.
Hey , mind you shown their playtime..
Was putting together a compatibility guide for playing the game under Linux/Steam Deck which required me to use various Proton versions. Apparently each of these counted as an individual PC and triggered the Denuvo tamper protection. Now I can't play at all on any of my systems for the crime of trying to help more users enjoy the game.
0.2 hours playtime.
Why did you ask?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
About 4 hours in, loving the fuck out of the game. Just breathes a good old traditional adventure that's not dumbed down for carebears and birdbrains with quicksave/quickload, moderntard fast-travel idiocy and assorted "rest for free anywhere to instantly replenish everything" garbage systems.

Hearing dumbfuck zoomers and gelatinous blob people screech about these systems is an angelic music to my ears.

That said the optimisation does suck big hairy unwashed balls.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Their attitude towards where they should invest their budget (see the cooking debacle) gives us an insight into the mind of the autistic Japanese game developer.
I love the cooking FMV. Feels like a cool stylistic thing, even though that apparently wasn't their intention.

It's alright. MHW had the best cooking scenes. They'd be tonally out of touch with DD though.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Please crack this game already, I want to play my paid copy
I found this gem.

Well, he has a point. He paid for the game, and now he need a crack to play the game.

jungl

Augur
Dayum wtf babys first open world rpg dragon dogma fans btfo?!1 I knew this game was going to be a dumpsterfire from the getgo.
The lazy millinials devs over at capcom and their re engine had fps problems with resident evil 2 remake outside of the police station I can't imagine it working with more open spaces.
The lack of base stats capcom just shilling the beast race and different classes obvious signs they were overhyping a underdelivering product. A dumbass brawler at best for little jimmy and birry sama.
I knew after the resident evil village fiasco there is no way in hell these guys are going to make a good game in the near future. Top tier coomer girls and mid games only.

Denuvo, lazy team, re engine? Thats a wumbo combo from hell I'm going to wait at least a year or two before trying this slop. My 3080ti probably won't run it anyways with consistent fps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom