Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

abija

Prophet
It ran like shit on AMD GPUs. Just like this game runs like shit on NVidia GPUs.
Shite as in "50-60 fps on a mid tier card from last 2-3 gens" or shite as in "can't lock 120+ fps with everything maxed on a 4090" ?
There's a pretty big difference between them and most people don't care about the later (unless they have their build as signature on reddit).

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I genuinely can't believe that you can only create 1 character, without having to pay for more.

That's fucking nuts.
It's so stupid ,even if they are evil, greedy bastards.
Not playing yet but AFAIK you don't need multiple chars since you can freely change class.

Plus they've just announced they'll implement the option to start a new game (for Steam versions only).
I'm gonna play because I'm an old fan, and I'm sure that despite issues it's going to be a great game. But they deserve some flak.

Sentinel

Arcane
Has anyone actually noticed that the "2" in Dragons Dogma 2 is missing in the title screen? It just says "Dragon's Dogma".

Can we expect an absolute kino moment where the 2 will appear eventually?
It does appear later, but don't expect anything mindbreaking. It's pretty disappointing, not even on the level of DD1.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
It actually seems to be running okay on Steam Deck, not good by any means but I've capped it at 20fps and it seems to hit that a decent amount outside the city. I wouldn't recommend it but as someone with very low standards for graphics it's tolerable.

Renfri

Cipher
After few hours, game is alright. City feels annoying with frame drops even with beefy PC, so I don't feel like going around finding secrets, at least for now. Jank is still there, if you were worried about missing it. My pawn jumped to her death following me, when I actually climbed down. Clearing caves and killing stuff is still fun like in first title.
I see you are using the 'v' key for a skill. Are you playing with the default control scheme? Did you find it irritating?
Default control scheme, its just okay.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone can compare playing on a controller vs. KBM?

I feel extra lazy unearthing my controller and plugging it in, since I'd have to travel all the way to the cabinet next room, but I guess the game is designed for gamepads eh?

Crayll

Liturgist
It actually seems to be running okay on Steam Deck, not good by any means but I've capped it at 20fps and it seems to hit that a decent amount outside the city. I wouldn't recommend it but as someone with very low standards for graphics it's tolerable.
Did you have to do anything special to get it running like that? Not on Steam Deck, but on regular Linux (Arch) I couldn't get more than 5 fps in the starting jail area.

abija

Prophet

I feel extra lazy unearthing my controller and plugging it in, since I'd have to travel all the way to the cabinet next room, but I guess the game is designed for gamepads eh?
Played just a bit seems fine with m&k. Rebinding was a bit iffy but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

Herumor

Scholar
To Dragon's Dogma 2 players on Steam

To all Dragon's Dogma 2 players

We would like to update you on the status of the following items, about which we have received numerous comments from the community. To all those looking forward to this game, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

■Crashes and bug fixes
We are investigating/fixing critical problems such as crashes and freezing.
We will be addressing crashes and bug fixes starting from those with the highest priority in patches in the near future.

■The option of starting a new game
We are looking at adding a feature to the Steam version of the game that will allow players that are already playing to restart the game. We will announce more details as soon as we can.

■Paid DLC
All the items listed below can be obtained in-game or as paid DLC items.
Art of Metamorphosis - Character Editor
Ambivalent Rift Incense - Change Pawn Inclinations
Portcrystal - Warp Location Marker
Wakestone - Restore the dead to life!
500 Rift Crystals / 1500 Rift Crystals / 2500 Rift Crystals - Points to Spend Beyond the Rift
Makeshift Gaol Key - Escape from gaol!
Harpysnare Smoke Beacons - Harpy Lure Item

■Regarding Frame Rate
A large amount of CPU usage is allocated to each character and calculating the impact of their physical presence in various areas. In certain situations where numerous characters appear simultaneously, the CPU usage can be very high and may affect the frame rate. We are aware that in such situations, settings that reduce GPU load may currently have a limited effect; however, we are looking into ways to improve performance in the future.

The Dragon's Dogma 2 Team
It's beyond mind-boggling that a new game option just wasn't part of the game development, but that they have to devote resources to adding it as a new feature.

Dyet

Novice
Has anyone actually noticed that the "2" in Dragons Dogma 2 is missing in the title screen? It just says "Dragon's Dogma".

Can we expect an absolute kino moment where the 2 will appear eventually?
It does appear later, but don't expect anything mindbreaking. It's pretty disappointing, not even on the level of DD1.
The endgame is the straw that broke the camel's back to me. DD2 doesn't even have a fucking Everfall equivalent, just a souped-up version of the post-Dragon world from the first game. The final "boss" is a joke and even the Dragon is a disappointment.

SmilingGorion

Literate
To Dragon's Dogma 2 players on Steam

To all Dragon's Dogma 2 players

We would like to update you on the status of the following items, about which we have received numerous comments from the community. To all those looking forward to this game, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

■Crashes and bug fixes
We are investigating/fixing critical problems such as crashes and freezing.
We will be addressing crashes and bug fixes starting from those with the highest priority in patches in the near future.

■The option of starting a new game
We are looking at adding a feature to the Steam version of the game that will allow players that are already playing to restart the game. We will announce more details as soon as we can.

■Paid DLC
All the items listed below can be obtained in-game or as paid DLC items.
Art of Metamorphosis - Character Editor
Ambivalent Rift Incense - Change Pawn Inclinations
Portcrystal - Warp Location Marker
Wakestone - Restore the dead to life!
500 Rift Crystals / 1500 Rift Crystals / 2500 Rift Crystals - Points to Spend Beyond the Rift
Makeshift Gaol Key - Escape from gaol!
Harpysnare Smoke Beacons - Harpy Lure Item

■Regarding Frame Rate
A large amount of CPU usage is allocated to each character and calculating the impact of their physical presence in various areas. In certain situations where numerous characters appear simultaneously, the CPU usage can be very high and may affect the frame rate. We are aware that in such situations, settings that reduce GPU load may currently have a limited effect; however, we are looking into ways to improve performance in the future.

The Dragon's Dogma 2 Team
It's beyond mind-boggling that a new game option just wasn't part of the game development, but that they have to devote resources to adding it as a new feature.
Their attitude towards where they should invest their budget (see the cooking debacle) gives us an insight into the mind of the autistic Japanese game developer.

Carceri

Arcane

Played just a bit seems fine with m&k. Rebinding was a bit iffy but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.
Did not have much time to thinker with it either, but it is definitely iffy. The game didn't seem to let me rebind some keys, like the 'alt' key for example, which is strange, because I had no issues with the original game. I was expecting this after suffering through Monster Hunter World, which has one of the most retarded ui/interface functionality for kb + mouse I ever had the displeasure of encountering. I swear japanese people still can't understand the concept of keyboard. Well, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, I mean, after all they are still eating their food with sticks.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Yea when you play with controller, shitty framerate is more survivable.
What's going with this game lol.
About what are you talking about?
  • Main quest giver is black because of ... no reason.
  • Graphic is bit better than DD1 but require 3x-5x more GPU power.
  • Microtransactions in game wants your money.
  • FPS in cities is half because game needs time to calculate collision detection between NPC, and for some reason needs a lot more power than the same stuff 20 - 30 years ago when they programed that stuff in C++ or/and assembly.
  • There are blacks, elves, and lionmen in game. (Luckily no drow because that would be in danger of copyright violation.)
  • There are about 3000 negative reviews on steam page.
  • There is Denuvo with max 5 activation per day.
Was putting together a compatibility guide for playing the game under Linux/Steam Deck which required me to use various Proton versions. Apparently each of these counted as an individual PC and triggered the Denuvo tamper protection. Now I can't play at all on any of my systems for the crime of trying to help more users enjoy the game.
Yea, helpful people have it hard.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's going with this game lol.
A console game, that caters to PC players, released on PC with usual Japanese technical shoddiness with Capcom greedy monetization on top.

Maybe there are more bad things, will tell when I play it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It ran like shit on AMD GPUs. Just like this game runs like shit on NVidia GPUs.
Shite as in "50-60 fps on a mid tier card from last 2-3 gens" or shite as in "can't lock 120+ fps with everything maxed on a 4090" ?
There's a pretty big difference between them and most people don't care about the later (unless they have their build as signature on reddit).

I've got a 10700k and 3080, so high end a couple of years ago, more like mid-high end now.

I'm getting between 80-90 fps in open world areas and approx 45 fps in busy areas with lots of NPCs. Whilst playing at 1440p with high-ish settings (textures and meshes set to max shadows and a few other things on low).

A friend with an i9 11900k and 3080 was getting worse performance but it turned out he wasn't running the latest nvidia drivers.

Last edited:

Shig

Novice
9900k/3080ti

Buddy of mine told me to steer clear, and that he was dropping "well below" 60 frames in, even moderately, populated areas on a brand new 14900k/4090 rig. That is fucking wild to me.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Did you have to do anything special to get it running like that? Not on Steam Deck, but on regular Linux (Arch) I couldn't get more than 5 fps in the starting jail area.
I'm afraid I've not got a clue how to set things up on any Linux system other than SteamOS, I just did what I usually do when I'm trying to play something on Steam Deck that's a bit of a Hail Mary (make sure in the Compatibility tab it's set to Proton Experimental, cap to low frame rate, and then turn all the in game settings down as low as possible, in this case with FSR3 set to Ultra Performance). I hope you get it working, performance issues aside it's a fun game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I've got a 10700k and 3080, so high end a couple of years ago, more like mid-high end now.

I'm getting between 80-90 fps in open world areas and approx 45 fps in busy areas with lots of NPCs.
Ppl should really state what resolution they play at. 1080p? 2K? 4K?

On my 5 yo old 5700XT I can run the game at 60 FPS outside and 40+ in settlements, all at 2K. Not great, not terrible.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
I just noticed that the pawn star rating is gone. You can't rate people's pawns anymore regarding their efficiency or appearance. It's just, did you like the pawn? Do you want to favourite him? Absolute decline. Were they so afraid that peoples feelings would get hurt?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just noticed that the pawn star rating is gone. You can't rate people's pawns anymore regarding their efficiency or appearance. It's just, did you like the pawn? Do you want to favourite him? Absolute decline. Were they so afraid that peoples feelings would get hurt?

And that the most popular pawns would look like Goddesses instead of 'Sweet Babies'.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm getting between 80-90 fps in open world areas and approx 45 fps in busy areas with lots of NPCs.
Ppl should really state what resolution they play at. 1080p? 2K? 4K?

On my 5 yo old 5700XT I can run the game at 60 FPS outside and 40+ in settlements, all at 2K. Not great, not terrible.

1440p and highish settings. I updated my post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom