Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Fallout New Vegas considered good?

ind33d

Learned
saying new vegas is better than fallout 3 is like saying Unreal Tournament 2004 is better than Unreal Tournament 2003

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is there a mod that dramatically cuts down the amount of junk loot? Not replacing it with actual loot, as that would make an already easy game even easier, but slash that shit by something like an order of magnitude
God I wish.
The most similar think I can think of would be to add every single Misc item (minus the important ones) to Famine's custom item removal .ini file.
It lets you specify, up to 1.0 (meaning 100%), the removal chance of any item.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
My God the Codex has really declined when we're allowing New Fags to make such retarded threads.
youropinionisimportant.gif
Have to admit - I laughed.

JSawyer mod + finetuned Famine is what I use all the time. They are definetely a must.

I'd also recommend the following mods for an overhauled vanilla experience:
1) Mojave Arsenal — seamlessly integrates GRA into the game and updates loot tables to make ammo crafting and weapon mods more accessible;
2) NAWEMO — makes NPCs use special ammo types and weapon mods;
3) NPCs use Aid items — does what it says. NPCs will heal with stims and enemies like Fiends will chem up with whatever shit they have in their pockets;
4) Traps Tweaks — makes traps use skills other than Repair to disarm them. Mines use Explosives, Bear Traps — Survival, etc.;
5) Vicious Wastes Standalone Mechanics - Agility Affects Movement Speed. Agility is otherwise mostly useless and is only needed for a few perks. Better than any sprint mod because it also affects NPCs;
6) Vicious Wastes Standalone Mechanics - Perception Affects Ranged Accuracy. Same as Agility. Perception in vaniila is useless and only needed for literally one perk;
7) Vicious Wastes Standalone Mechanics - Barter Affects Repair Costs. Makes Barter a decent counterbalance to the otherwise rather strong Repair skill.

Also Stewie's Tweaks, but they require a lot of finetuning.
>mods will fix it
:lol:

Jacov

Educated
>mods will fix it
It's the most broken of all Gamebryo games, for sure. But the difference between FNV and nu-Bethesda games is that you don't need to mod it into something else, adding new mechanics and stuff. FNV has a decent foundation for a roleplaying action game and you only need to fix things here and there.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Like I mentioned earlier, it's been a while since I last played New Vegas but I still don't know if this character in FNV was part of Sawyer's vision included in the final release, or it was some mod I installed. I certainly don't remember him from when I originally played FNV (unmodded) upon release.

Gyx8dDc.jpeg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
That's a vanilla character. It's part of the quest Wang Dang Atomic Tango that you get from the Atomic Wrangler.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
A mutated cyborg with supercomputer processing power who was obsessed with continuing the human race never once in any of his plans ever considered the #1 thing required for reproduction? He never even thought of it, or a contingency or something? And realizing that alone makes him immediately give up on all of his plans and suicide without a second thought.
He doesn't come over as the most stable personality, who knows wtf goes on in there.

Basshead

Educated
Fallout New Vegas has its moments but it’s not great. Like Fallout 3, gameplay isn’t very good. At least that game had a good game world to explore. New Vegas is a real downgrade in that respect, as much of the exploration leads to uninteresting places. The recycled assets compound this effect. Skill checks do improve the role playing and story. It’s still not great. Not having a proper legion settlement is lame. There’s the camp, and even a legion currency, but I think there’s only like one trader over there. Big missed opportunity. It would have been better to have Joshua Graham integrated into the base game. He’s the best companion by far but you only get to deal with him for a little bit in one of the dlcs. The dlcs also aren’t great. Dead money plays like a janky, unbalanced mod. The one with the scientist robots is cringe. I did rather like the one in Utah though. The whole package suffers from bloated, hit sponge enemies. The writing is hit or miss. It’s worth one play through, but not really anything special. Obsidian was at least decent back then, now they’re horrible.

Fallout New Vegas has its moments but it’s not great. Like Fallout 3, gameplay isn’t very good.
When people say this I often wonder what they would define as "good" gameplay when it comes to RPGs

I would take the admittedly mediocre shooter gameplay of FNV over 90% of turn-based games.

I would take the admittedly mediocre shooter gameplay of FNV over 90% of turn-based games.
said another way: there’s a lot of bad games.

doesn’t make FNV any better, tho.
I would actually argue one of FNVs strengths is that it works fine as a straight-forward FPS game. The weapons feel satisfying and distinct, there's decent enemy variety, and the gore/limb injury system makes shooting things feel satisfying and reactive.

For a game that came out nearly 15 years ago? The FPS combat is totally fine and serviceable. I think this more or less comes down to personal preference and how much you enjoy FPS combat in general.

Basshead

Educated
Fallout New Vegas has its moments but it’s not great. Like Fallout 3, gameplay isn’t very good.
When people say this I often wonder what they would define as "good" gameplay when it comes to RPGs

I personally like a good turn based system. Baldurs Gate 3 does turn based well, where positioning and tactics play an important role. Underrail also has great turn based combat. The original fallout games are a little stale in this department and I appreciate the added depth in Underrail. Honestly I’ve yet to play an fps-rpg that is really satisfying. Cyberpunk also has bullet sponge enemies.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
That FNV is living rent-free in everyone's head at Bethesda, and that it makes them seethe with the passion of thousand suns.

NwNgger

Educated
So... the Amazon goyslop, what do we think of it New Vegas sisters?
:smug:
Watched a bit of it. For those not in the know it officially confirmed that New Vegas and Fallout 1 and 2 are not canon by way of the NCR territory getting nuked long before they would've been seen in the games. This isn't an alternate universe like that shitty Halo tv series. It's been made clear this is official Bethesda canon. All that matters is what Bethesda has made or been involved with.

Therefore, everything Bethesda made is in an alternate timeline. And all that REALLY matters are Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas. Thank god I no longer have to consider Fallout 3 and 4.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The only major issue I have with New Vegas is the extended "hidden" tutorial, the loop from Goodsprings down then up around to Boulder City. Every time I start a new character or make the trip using Tale of Two Wastelands I feel obligated to at least do everything up to Novac, but I always read Manny's terminal to bypass Come Fly With Me. That quest is awesome the first time you do it, but I just cannot stand it anymore; if it weren't for Davison and Antler I'd pretty much hate it but that guy always makes me laugh.

I also feel obligated to do the overt tutorial in Goodsprings as well, and have the same issue every time I restart a new character in Morrowind where I just cannot move on until I've taken care of the tax money, Fargoth's hiding spot, the Imperial dude with his ring, snatching up the Mentors Ring and clearing that bandit cave. I've certainly done runs before where I got up to get Chance's knife and head straight to New Vegas, but that is so much content to skip over and I always end up regretting it. So here I am, for the billionth time visiting "my buddy Eddie" just so I can hear "I killed some people, maybe a couple of kids too, whatever". It is certainly my OCD that is responsible, but I really have always disliked the way the game funnels you into this half circle around the map, to where proper exploration doesn't really begin until you reach the city and are then expected to drift around checking out all of the different factions.

Nothing is actually preventing you from doing this earlier, so it isn't awful, but the design of the lower portion of the map ends up feeling like a linear path where in the original games you didn't even know where you were after first exiting the vault, and the sense of total freedom of picking a direction and walking the overworld gives you is such an incredible feature. It is the only thing I concede that Fallout 3 did better, yet that game is so atrocious that the enthusiasm to explore is totally lost after a certain point so it ends up not mattering anyway.

laclongquan

Arcane
The only major issue I have with New Vegas is the extended "hidden" tutorial, the loop from Goodsprings down then up around to Boulder City. Every time I start a new character or make the trip using Tale of Two Wastelands I feel obligated to at least do everything up to Novac, but I always read Manny's terminal to bypass Come Fly With Me. That quest is awesome the first time you do it, but I just cannot stand it anymore; if it weren't for Davison and Antler I'd pretty much hate it but that guy always makes me laugh.

I also feel obligated to do the overt tutorial in Goodsprings as well, and have the same issue every time I restart a new character in Morrowind where I just cannot move on until I've taken care of the tax money, Fargoth's hiding spot, the Imperial dude with his ring, snatching up the Mentors Ring and clearing that bandit cave. I've certainly done runs before where I got up to get Chance's knife and head straight to New Vegas, but that is so much content to skip over and I always end up regretting it. So here I am, for the billionth time visiting "my buddy Eddie" just so I can hear "I killed some people, maybe a couple of kids too, whatever". It is certainly my OCD that is responsible, but I really have always disliked the way the game funnels you into this half circle around the map, to where proper exploration doesn't really begin until you reach the city and are then expected to drift around checking out all of the different factions.

Nothing is actually preventing you from doing this earlier, so it isn't awful, but the design of the lower portion of the map ends up feeling like a linear path where in the original games you didn't even know where you were after first exiting the vault, and the sense of total freedom of picking a direction and walking the overworld gives you is such an incredible feature. It is the only thing I concede that Fallout 3 did better, yet that game is so atrocious that the enthusiasm to explore is totally lost after a certain point so it ends up not mattering anyway.

The solution for you is extended level threshold mod, aka raise xp req for each level to make you stay lower level longer. It also provide an incentive to do low level quest, because you need every piece of XP.

If you are bored of playing through the official route, you can do the adrenaline junkie route by running north road, with the help of turbo and stealthboy (if you gather any in GS). Cazadores are the biggest threat, then Deathclaw. Going this way you can skip a slew of quest in Mojave Outpost, Nipton, Searchlight, Novac, Repcon Launch site, and Boulder City. it make no sense in term of quest, but you have freedom to do it.

Otherwise, shut up. Our OCD is our burden to bear, not excuse to complain~ Find ways to deal with it.

ind33d

Learned
bethesda needs to make random start mods default in every open world game. WOW has multiple starting zones and that game is made by total fuckups. it can't be that hard to implement

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom